[REMOVE ADS]

David Lasley, 'Missin' Twenty Grand [Expanded Edition]' [Capitol/UMe] now streaming

From SecondDisc.com-
    If Charles Donovan's recent feature
    on the late, great Lasley has your interest piqued, then you'll want to check out this expansion of his acclaimed 1982 album, featuring the U.S. Top 40 hit "If I Had My Wish Tonight" plus, as bonus tracks, four Don Was-produced single sides issued two years later.

Tracks:
    1. Got To Find Love
    2. If I Had My Wish Tonight
    3. Looking For Love On Broadway
    4. On Third Street
    5. Take A Look
    6. Treat Willie Good
    7. Never Say
    8. Roommate
    9. Where Is Charlie And Joanne
    10. Take The Money And Run
    11. On Third Street [Reprise]
    12. Next Time
    13. Saved By Love
    14. Where Does That Boy Hang Out
    15. Oh

[iTunes / Amazon]

Other great CDs from Detroit's own David Lasley, singer/songwriter/ arranger/producer who worked with many of the greatest artists in Pop & Soul music. May his legacy continue to grow for generations to enjoy. R.I.P.

Name:  David lasley 1& 2.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  27.5 KB
    Name:  david_lasley_demo_3_sampler.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  15.3 KB
    Name:  david Blue eyed Soul.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  22.0 KB
    Back to Blue - Eyed Soul - Collected Works 1966 - 1999

Name:  david 4.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  57.4 KB

I had honestly never heard of this guy before, neither as a songwriter nor singer, but I will definitely check out some of his stuff!!

I guess the major cause for celebration is that four of the ten tracks from David Lasley's "Raindance" album are making their digital debut. Still, I believe there are a few non-LP sides from the "Missin' Twenty Grand" era that would have made more sense as bonus tracks. Perhaps they'll be bonus tracks on an Expanded Edition of "Raindance."

"The Angel In Me" sounds tailor made for Aretha Franklin. She already had an "Angel" song in her repertoire, of course.

Patti LaBelle and Tina Turner both covered "I See Home" but the original hasn't been bettered, in my opinion.

Missin' Twenty Grand was first released on CD in Japan in 1999 with the four bonus tracks from the Rain Dance album. It was issued again in 2001 by Zacoda with out the four tracks. I Don't Go Shopping which David produced and co-wrote with the late Peter Allen would have made a great bonus track, it can be found on his Demos album.

Name:  45.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  14.1 KB

Name:  Rosie 1.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  74.0 KB
    Name:  Rosie 2.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  65.7 KB

David recorded two albums with his group Rosie in 1976 for RCA. The group consisted of David, Lynn Pitney and Lana Marrano. Both alums were released on CD in 1999 by Cool Sound in Japan. They were reissued again a few years later. On the Last Dance CD you'll find four bonus tracks. I believe they are available for download.

Listen to "I See Home". It could be Sylvester and the Two Tons Of Fun. There are many similarities... Both hugely talented artists. David had longevity and a long lasting career, whereas Syvester's was cut short way too early. I saw David on two occasions as a backing vocalist with James Taylor, he was an integral part of the show along with Arnold.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-18-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Name:  The Utopias.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  30.4 KB
    David had another group in the mid 60s known as The Utopias. They recorded for Fortune, Hi-Q and LaSalle right in the heart of the Motor City. The group consisted of David, his sister Julie and Joan Hughes. All together they released only three singles which are rare and pretty hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    Missin' Twenty Grand was first released on CD in Japan in 1999 with the four bonus tracks from the Rain Dance album.
    That explains it. It seemed odd to me that the label would digitize almost half of the "Raindance" album and not bother with the remaining tracks.

I Don't Go Shopping which David produced and co-wrote with the late Peter Allen would have made a great bonus track, it can be found on his Demos album.
    Is it the same recording as the demo, though? The runtimes are different. The B-Side version is about a minute longer. There's also a B-Side version of "Back on the Street Again" that runs shorter and has a different production credit to the Rosie "Last Dance" version.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    "The Angel In Me" sounds tailor made for Aretha Franklin. She already had an "Angel" song in her repertoire, of course.

I don't believe I've ever heard of him or this group. Really digging this song. Gonna have to look into more.

Name:  David Lasley - 001 lr.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  54.1 KB

It's a crying shame that the Grammys did not include David Lasley in their memorial segment on last night’s telecast . Here is an artist who has contributed so much to the music industry not only with his golden vocal talent, but also as a songwriter, arranger and producer. In the memorial last night they honored fashion designers, lawyers, managers and record executives. David's songs have been recorded by the likes of Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Bonnie Raitt, Patti LaBelle, Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Anita Baker, Donnie Warwick, Chaka Khan, Natalie Cole and Herb Albert just to name a few. Also let's not forget his legendary work as one of the industry’s all time top session singers.

For the record I know for a fact that the Grammys were informed about his passing and were sent a photo to use for their broadcast.

It's a crying shame that the Grammys did not include David Lasley in their memorial segment on last night’s telecast . Here is an artist who has contributed so much to the music industry not only with his golden vocal talent, but also as a songwriter, arranger and producer. In the memorial last night they honored fashion designers, lawyers, managers and record executives. David's songs have been recorded by the likes of Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Bonnie Raitt, Patti LaBelle, Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Anita Baker, Donnie Warwick, Chaka Khan, Natalie Cole and Herb Albert just to name a few. Also let's not forget his legendary work as one of the industry’s all time top session singers.

For the record I know for a fact that the Grammys were informed about his passing and were sent a photo to use for their broadcast.
    Shameful. Even moreso when we know it wasn't an oversight.