[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I knew Gaudio did some work with Motown L.A., but Artie Fields? Besides, Helen Reddy is no Stoney.

I think it should be noted that the re-release of the Stoney and Meatloaf album has nothing to do with Meat's untimely passing. The project is more than two years old now.

The cd release has just been announced for May -- pre-order now available at Amazon.com:
    https://theseconddisc.com/2022/03/18...wn-recordings/

I would like to mention co- producer/writer Mike Valvano who passed a few years back. None of this album would have worked without his input. When listening to the songs, I hear it all over the tracks. Mike had certain signature riffs, vocally and musically he would use and I hear them everywhere It makes me somewhat sad. I wish Mike could be here for this upcoming release. He helped get it here.

Mike Valvano's name appears in many instances with Motown over the years. I think stalwart is a good word for Mike and indeed Motown seemed to have a number of folks that could be described that way - but he was there for such a long time. And I love his early single "I Found Myself a Brand New Baby" which even saw a UK release at the time.

Mike taught me what I would need to know to survive at Motown.

I also need to mention, my arranger on the album was Dave VanDePitte. I've been listening to the tracks, paying attention to Dave's string and horn arrangements. First class all the way. Listen closely to the strings on "Sunshine". Blows me away. Another talent gone too soon. Wish he was here today also.

Several people told me that Mike Valvano and Ivy Hunter are who actually created what we now think of as "the Motown Sound."

It's intersting you say that Bob. I would certainly credit Ivy Hunter and include Mickey Stevenson in creating an early version of The Motown Sound [[just my thinking as so much of what I enjoy from that period has their stamp on it).

You both make valid points. We cannot discount Ivy Hunter, Mike Valvano, or Mickey Stevenson in the formation of the Motown sound. However, I would credit Holland, Dozier and Holland for putting all the loose ends together, bringing Motown to the fore in the record business, opening future doors for producers like Norman Whitfield, Clay McMurray, Frank Wilson, Johnny Bristol, Clarence Paul [[ who would independently produce a couple of Sunliner records,) Bobby Taylor and even a fledgling producer as myself bringing Rock and Roll to the mix.
    Last edited by ralpht; 03-27-2022 at 10:09 AM.

11. Yes, you're very right, Ralph, I was first contacted about it back in early 2019!

12. I remember what a huge influence he had on the whole Stoney And Meatloaf album!!

13. I think, at that time, Suzanne DePasse was 'throwing everything at th wall', to see what would 'stick', hence, Artie Fields...... talented man, but didn't have the right edge for my voice.....

I had no idea Artie was doing some work with Motown. And you are correct. I think Suzanne was over her head and was desperate for hits. But then, who am I to say. However, on the whole, I was never thrilled with most of Motown L.A.s output.

Stoney, doing first phone interview on Tuesday.