[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tonight's Concert finale 'Thank You" !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTNwP8FTv0

She introduces Troy Miller. song seemed a bit rushed to me but exciting to hear new music live!

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTNwP8FTv0

She introduces Troy Miller. song seemed a bit rushed to me but exciting to hear new music live!
    it was wonderful to be at the show tonight as Diana was looking and sounding beautiful. The Setlist was rather horrifying, by the vents in the last year have taught me to appreciate first and then criticize, although I think I’m capable of doing both at the same time lol. This was her standard show of the last 15 years with a few changes: no touch me in the morning no look of love no Lady sings the blues no I will survive. She added chain reaction and a relentless my world is empty without you. She closed with thank you, but it was too fast and she had them start over again and play the rehearsal audio that she sang along with. The arrangement was too fast and I assume that before she does it again it will slow down.

most important is that she is alive, well, sounds fantastic and has clearly not been starving to death.

Unless there is a specific reason, i find it extremely odd that she appears incapable of learning and performing just one new song that is meant as a thank you to her fans.
    I guess this extinguishes any hopes of further songs from the album being performed with a live vocal, being obvious she’s not prepared to put the work in.
    If she’s going to mime to the song, then the album version as opposed to the remix would be a much better idea as it’s a lot slower. Hopefully she will eventually get there.
    Same old show it seems, with the loss of “I Will Survive” after 27 years being the only highlight. Hmmm.
    Streisand’s last UK concert is testament to what can be achieved when a performer genuinely wants to give something back and thank her dedicated following.
    P.S Glad she remains healthy.......

Ah, in my humble opinion, she looks radiant! A bit fuller, but hey, she is only 77. Ms Ross is at her best when things go wrong and she goes off script. I found it rather sweet that she apologized and made the best out of it.

At least for the last 20 years or so she doesn't throw a tantrum when things go wrong. No kicking monitors, just kittish laughter and a radiant smile.

Being critical, she is, or was, known for her perfection. Now she seems a bit more relaxed and human. And I grant her that.

Out of the classic Motown stable, Ms Ross, Mr Robinson, Mr Wonder, the Temptations and Mr Richie are still creating new music and having fun while doing so. Love it and truly appreciate it.

It makes me a little confused and sad to read a couple of these criticisms already. I wasn't at last night's show but I did watch a dozen or so videos from the show on YouTube and social media last night. It made me emotional to see her back on stage...I questioned whether that moment would ever come, with this ongoing pandemic. I could clearly tell that she was also both emotional and nervous, and overwhelmed at times. Understandably so. The lady is soon to be 78 years old and knowing that her sons previously had to convince her to step out of her comfort zone and do a couple of music videos for the Thank You album, due to her anxiety in regards to being around people at this time...tells me that she has had fears about being back in public. She herself in one of these videos said that she's spent the last two years in almost total isolation, and has not seen her grandkids in person. This being said, I think appreciation of her return to the stage is key. As you said Motown Maniac, in these times, we should not taken anything for granted. Last night's show was a big step for her and I'm so happy for her. Knowing this, I'm not surprised in regards to the guide vocal that was used here and there, and the little rehearsal time that she likely had, along with her general anxiety of doing a live show at all. I read from another fellow fan/friend that she was mad because most of the audience were not wearing masks [[this was an outdoor show, but yes, it's still best to wear them for safety). Clearly health and safety for all is the top concern on her mind. If that wasn't the case, she would have been back on stage so much sooner and she wouldn't have opted for outdoor venues, like she did last night and for the show in April. I also saw she got emotional and choked up during Do You Know Where You're Going To. Bless her.

Let's kindly cut her some slack, folks. It brought me so much joy just to see her back on stage again, via the magic of YouTube and Instagram.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-13-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Very nice, good to see Ross on stage after 2 years of isolation. I am sure it was nerve racking for her to perform again. Wishing her the best.

I think didn’t watch all the clips from this show, but yes it is nice to see her onstage again. You can tell she was definitely nervous after not performing for a while, but that doesn’t mean she’s free from criticism. She has to be very aware of this pandemic and all the controversies surrounding masks and vaccines. The fact people weren’t wearing masks especially in a outdoor venue in a state like Florida shouldn’t surprise her.

I’m glad to hear “I Will Survive” was cut. I hope it doesn’t return. It would have been nice for her to do something from Lady Sings The Blues considering it’s the 50th anniversary. It’s a shame she missed that opportunity.

The criticism about “Thank You” is warranted. Was it really all that difficult to learn just one new song and rehearse it with your band several times? It looks like the musicians are looking at sheet music and it’s quite clear within a few seconds of the remix track playing that the song isn’t working live. They didn’t figure that out in rehearsal? I’m not even sure she’s singing live. I want to say when the vocal track comes on she sings a bit and then gives up and lip syncs the rest of the song. For being isolated for two years, releasing an album that she did nothing to promote, she really should have come into fully prepared. It reminds me of when Mary would do “Life’s Been Good To Me” live and she sang along with her track and then flub the lyrics. It was a bit embarrassing and unprofessional. I know fans want to go easy on her considering the circumstances, but if Tony Bennett, suffering from alzheimer's disease, can go onstage last year to sold out crowds at Radio City Music Hall and perform a top notch, flawless show, Diana and her band really should have come into this with “Thank You” fully rehearsed and ready without a guide track and vocal.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-13-2022 at 01:46 PM.

I also viewed some of the video clips of Sat 2 12 22 Florida Concert. Ms Ross' vocals on "Do You Know Where You Are Going To" were sweet and heartfelt.

I don't know why the majority in the audience were not wearing masks. Some people on vacation lack concerns for safety, which is no fun for themselves and others.

The new arrangement of "Thank You" is great. I hope it becomes a part of her set list. Glad to here "IWS" was given a rest.

By the way, to hear again "Come See About Me" is a welcomed treat.
    Last edited by TNSUN; 02-13-2022 at 03:07 PM.

I heard from someone that was at the concert that Diana told the audience to put their masks on to protect themselves. Im glad shes back and from what ive seen she looked and sounded great. God bless her for going out there after 2 years into a pandemic which isnt over yet. Much as id love to see her you couldnt pay me to go into an unmasked crowd as Ive been real careful about waering my mask and self isolating. On a personal note you couldnt pay me to go to the State of Florida as long as that disgusting and real dangerous Desantis is still Governor.

Everyone have a beautiful and blessed Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It reminds me of when Mary would do “Life’s Been Good To Me” live and she sang along with her track and then flub the lyrics. It was a bit embarrassing and unprofessional. I know fans want to go easy on her considering the circumstances, but if Tony Bennett, suffering from alzheimer's disease, can go onstage last year to sold out crowds at Radio City Music Hall and perform a top notch, flawless show, Diana and her band really should have come into this with “Thank You” fully rehearsed and ready without a guide track and vocal.
    Ouch.

Brad, did you manage to catch the 60 Minutes special on Tony Bennett and the state of his Alzheimer's? If not, I encourage you to check it out. It should still be up on YouTube. I found it to be an emotional but also very interesting watch.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-13-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Much as id love to see her you couldnt pay me to go into an unmasked crowd as Ive been real careful about waering my mask and self isolating. On a personal note you couldnt pay me to go to the State of Florida as long as that disgusting and real dangerous Desantis is still Governor.

Everyone have a beautiful and blessed Sunday.
    I very much agree with you, Roberta.

Have a beautiful and blessed Sunday as well!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I very much agree with you, Roberta.

Have a beautiful and blessed Sunday as well!
    Thanks Carlo.

Ouch.

Brad, did you manage to catch the 60 Minutes special on Tony Bennett and the state of his Alzheimer's? If not, I encourage you to check it out. It should still be up on YouTube. I found it to be an emotional but also very interesting watch.
    Ouch indeed, but it's the truth. Regardless of nerves and the pandemic, she wasn't prepared, it showed, and it didn't look good on her.

I did watch the 60 Minutes segment and the special. Fascinating to see how the mind works, but amazing how the talent is still there and it speaks to the power of music.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

The criticism about “Thank You” is warranted. Was it really all that difficult to learn just one new song and rehearse it with your band several times? It looks like the musicians are looking at sheet music and it’s quite clear within a few seconds of the remix track playing that the song isn’t working live. They didn’t figure that out in rehearsal? I’m not even sure she’s singing live. I want to say when the vocal track comes on she sings a bit and then gives up and lip syncs the rest of the song. For being isolated for two years, releasing an album that she did nothing to promote, she really should have come into fully prepared. It reminds me of when Mary would do “Life’s Been Good To Me” live and she sang along with her track and then flub the lyrics. It was a bit embarrassing and unprofessional. I know fans want to go easy on her considering the circumstances, but if Tony Bennett, suffering from alzheimer's disease, can go onstage last year to sold out crowds at Radio City Music Hall and perform a top notch, flawless show, Diana and her band really should have come into this with “Thank You” fully rehearsed and ready without a guide track and vocal.
    My point exactly Brad. We are talking about taking time out to prepare and rehearse literally one single song that’s said to be about showing gratitude to her fans.
    The fact she is probably unlikely to perform any further songs from such a supposedly personal album is in itself a travesty.
    Tony Bennet has always shown himself to be pure class, while the same can also be said of M’s Streisand. There concerts being a world apart from this now tired out, and overly familiar show. To me she appears to be just going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    My point exactly Brad. We are talking about taking time out to prepare and rehearse literally one single song that’s said to be about showing gratitude to her fans.
    The fact she is probably unlikely to perform any further songs from such a supposedly personal album is in itself a travesty.
    Tony Bennet has always shown himself to be pure class, while the same can also be said of M’s Streisand. There concerts being a world apart from this now tired out, and overly familiar show. To me she appears to be just going through the motions.
    Ollie, as usual you are right on point.

People paid top dollar to see a polished show, not an embarrassing rehearsal. Please learn one new song for God’s sake. Fans have waited decades for a new song. Sadly, it summed her up to a tee. And, that exit, wow, it was bizarre and embarrassing.

I did not know she had this show in Florida. I just watched many YouTube videos of it.

I don’t know that woman on stage. The whole thing was completely bizarre. She looked terrible, she held onto the mic stand, walked like a 78-year-old lady, repeatedly faced the band as she performed, and she got lost on more than one song. Maybe it’s time to hang it up.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-13-2022 at 11:47 PM.

Hey Motown Maniac...was her long time musical director, George [[Georgie), on stage last night? Or did Troy Miller take over his duties for this show? I don't seem to recall seeing George in any of the videos.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-14-2022 at 12:17 AM.

shows intro
    shows opening And I LOVE YOU MORE TODAY THAN YESTERDAY

THE BOSS w/horns :

No LOVEHANGOVER ?

How nice to see her back

I watched a Thank You clip - seems like they did okay - at least the show is in the road

Maybe I’m getting old but I think we make too much of the small stuff

I remember when in 1985 Ross sang "experience" from a music sheet, because she did not no the song yet. Nobody complaint. We found it cute. The same when in 2009 Ross suddenly had to end her concert with "A Brand New Day" [[which was a #1 hit in the Netherlands and Belgium), backed by a orchestra and a groups of dancers. She clearly did not remember the words [[she probably had not sung that song for 30 years). Nobody complaint. We found it cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I remember when in 1985 Ross sang "experience" from a music sheet, because she did not no the song yet. Nobody complaint. We found it cute. The same when in 2009 Ross suddenly had to end her concert with "A Brand New Day" [[which was a #1 hit in the Netherlands and Belgium), backed by a orchestra and a groups of dancers. She clearly did not remember the words [[she probably had not sung that song for 30 years). Nobody complaint. We found it cute.
    I don't see anything cute in any performer, particularly one of Diana’s Calibre failing to put the work in to learn the lyrics to her songs. On the contrary, it comes across as shoddy and unprofessional.
    Barry Gibb complained about this lack of professional commitment during the time of Eaten Alive.
    As long as she keeps singing “Baby Love” etc she will keep the casual joe happy. I really don’t see much in the way of her giving back to her fans with a set list as predictable and tired as this. Easy money for little effort is what springs to mind.
    I really hope I’m wrong and things change by the time of her UK summer concerts. Sadly i somehow doubt it.

The show certainly needs to be refined/polished up a ton before Glastonbury or she will be laughed/booed off the stage.

Six months ago I would've bet on the odds of not seeing this again.
    Diana Ross is a trooper ! The logistics of gathering up this supporting back up group for a one night road show alone ....

This apparently was a free show provided as part of a Mardi Gras celebration package at Florida Universal. Seems like a rather random crowd to test out waters with, but maybe that was exactly the thought.
    She tries a bit late into the show to incorporate wearing a mask .... I guess too many people were singing along? Beyond ironic that in the middle of singing she don't need no little hangover running her life she rips off her mask. The whole mask thing clearly hampered her mindset, as she after changing tried again to wear one ... for three minutes, and also chastised someone for not having a mask on a baby.
    Ross got a little emotional during a general remembrance of people recently lost [24 minutes in] , which could've been a nod toward Mary Wilson, but also Thierry Mugler was perhaps most on her mind.

Not familiar with her set to be sure, but does this seem like she was leaning more heavily into Supremes territory this round, giving more time to certain songs ...rather than the quickie medley route ...?

By the end , Diana was clearly done ....most understandable. Probably shouldn't have waited that far into the show to venture into untested waters.

Bet she slept good the next day !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-14-2022 at 04:23 PM.

For the rational among us this appears to have been in all regards a triumphal return to the stage for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    For the rational among us this appears to have been in all regards a triumphal return to the stage for Diana.
    Agreed. For anyone to say that Diana is unprofessional or that her show was a disaster is really over exaggerating. Most people who go to see her in concert, do so because she is Diana Ross. They don't care if she's singing a Lady Sings the Blues medley or not, or if she's singing I Will Survive for the millionth time, etc. [[Reality check). This fraction of hardcore fandom on the internet represents an extremely small fraction of her concert go'ers, and those who don't fall into that category likely give her more respect than these 'hardcore fans' who always come on here with their criticisms about her shows, albums, photo shoots, etc. Diana is a legend and she's earned it. She's 78 years old. If she doesn't want to sit down and do an interview, or doesn't want to change her setlist, she doesn't need to. If someone thinks those decisions are to her own detriment, she clearly doesn't care...and maybe we shouldn't either. She still enjoys being on stage and most of her audience still seem to enjoy her shows, as do I. I'm going to continue to enjoy whatever she wants to give us. She goes on with her life and doesn't lose sleep over these things that some fans seem to take issue with. If you don't like her decisions, go join a Katy Perry fan club or something.

To take her decisions personally or to say she's being disrespectful to her fans...it makes no sense to me. If she was showing up three hours late like Madonna, then I'd agree...
    Last edited by carlo; 02-14-2022 at 07:41 PM.

Agreed. For anyone to say that Diana is unprofessional or that her show was a disaster is really over exaggerating. Most people who go to see her in concert, do so because she is Diana Ross. They don't care if she's singing a Lady Sings the Blues medley or not, or if she's singing I Will Survive for the millionth time, etc. [[Reality check). This fraction of hardcore fandom on the internet represents an extremely small fraction of her concert go'ers, and those who don't fall into that category likely give her more respect than these 'hardcore fans' who always come on here with their criticisms about her shows, albums, photo shoots, etc. Diana is a legend and she's earned it. She's 78 years old. If she doesn't want to sit down and do an interview, or doesn't want to change her setlist, she doesn't need to. If someone thinks those decisions are to her own detriment, she clearly doesn't care...and maybe we shouldn't either. She still enjoys being on stage and most of her audience still seem to enjoy her shows, as do I. I'm going to continue to enjoy whatever she wants to give us. She goes on with her life and doesn't lose sleep over these things that some fans seem to take issue with. If you don't like her decisions, go join a Katy Perry fan club or something.

To take her decisions personally or to say she's being disrespectful to her fans...it makes no sense to me. If she was showing up three hours late like Madonna, then I'd agree...
    Thank you, Carlo. Thank you very much. Your words expressed my feelings precisely. Come rain or come shine, I love Diana Ross.

In the end it's her show. I do think that if she's going to roll out a new song for her show, more time can be spent in rehearsal before trying it out. Then again, maybe they did rehearse sufficiently but still it went wrong. The perils of live performance.

However, only critique I have is that she mentioned a couple of times she recorded and released a new album, but she never provided the title of said album.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Six months ago I would've bet on the odds of not seeing this again.
    Diana Ross is a trooper ! The logistics of gathering up this supporting back up group for a one night road show alone ....

This apparently was a free show provided as part of a Mardi Gras celebration package at Florida Universal. Seems like a rather random crowd to test out waters with, but maybe that was exactly the thought.
    She tries a bit late into the show to incorporate wearing a mask .... I guess too many people were singing along? Beyond ironic that in the middle of singing she don't need no little hangover running her life she rips off her mask. The whole mask thing clearly hampered her mindset, as she after changing tried again to wear one ... for three minutes, and also chastised someone for not having a mask on a baby.
    Ross got a little emotional during a general remembrance of people recently lost [24 minutes in] , which could've been a nod toward Mary Wilson, but also Thierry Mugler was perhaps most on her mind.

Not familiar with her set to be sure, but does this seem like she was leaning more heavily into Supremes territory this round, giving more time to certain songs ...rather than the quickie medley route ...?

By the end , Diana was clearly done ....most understandable. Probably shouldn't have waited that far into the show to venture into untested waters.

Bet she slept good the next day !!
    Since Return to Love in 2000, she usually does 4 to 6 Supremes songs in full as part of her show. No medley.

I always struggle with what she should put in her shows

I’d like to hear Remember Me, And If You See Him, Lovely Day, Love Is Like An Itching, Let’s Do It, Brown Baby, We Need You, All We Do Is Win

Ya right - not going to happen; unless we pay $5000 each for 1000 tickets

She needs a bunch of the big hits - Stop, Mountain, Mahogany, You Can’t Hurry Love etc

And reality dictates that Why Do Fools and I Will Survive are huge crowd pleasers

She only has so much wiggle room if she wants the crowds to keep coming

It’s called celebrity worship syndrome. Please look it up sometime.
    I have been a fan of Diana’s since I was 10. I have every album and attended every concert possible. I have also in the past met people who have worked with her.
    If other fans happen to not share the exact same opinion as you and perhaps view things differently it’s not an attack. To tell them they should stop being a fan altogether is being a little shortsighted and rather silly. We all have our own individual thoughts and opinions that need to be respected. It encourages debate, while ensuring a small toe at least remains dipped in the real world.
    This is not a Diana Ross worship forum, despite the endeavours of a few.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-15-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I always struggle with what she should put in her shows

I’d like to hear Remember Me, And If You See Him, Lovely Day, Love Is Like An Itching, Let’s Do It, Brown Baby, We Need You, All We Do Is Win

Ya right - not going to happen; unless we pay $5000 each for 1000 tickets

She needs a bunch of the big hits - Stop, Mountain, Mahogany, You Can’t Hurry Love etc

And reality dictates that Why Do Fools and I Will Survive are huge crowd pleasers

She only has so much wiggle room if she wants the crowds to keep coming
    I tend to agree. Unlike artists such as Tony Bennett or M’s Streisand, her audience tends to a little less musically sophisticated, make that interested. Familiar songs you can sing along to being the order of the day.
    As such, it’s most probably a wise decision if she fails to include anything from the new album or indeed any new material ever. After all, everyone on the planet knows the words to “I Will Survive”. Just ask Gloria.

It’s called celebrity worship syndrome. Please look it up sometime.
    I have been a fan of Diana’s since I was 10. I have every album and attended every concert possible. I have also in the past met people who have worked with her.
    If other fans happen to not share the exact same opinion as you and perhaps view things differently it’s not an attack. To tell them they should stop being a fan altogether is being a little shortsighted and rather silly. We all have our own individual thoughts and opinion that need to be respected. It encourages debate, while ensuring a small toe at least remains dipped in the real world.
    This is not a Diana Ross worship forum, despite the endeavours of a few.
    No, I just choose not to constantly criticize and project my standards/expectations upon an elderly celebrity, especially in understandable situations such as their nerve-ridden first show back during a pandemic. It's called being compassionate and realistic.

Good day to you, sir.

The negative comments, though not surprising, are a bit chilling to read 1 day after the 10th commemoration of Whitney's death. Diana has the emotional intelligence and solid family base to shrug off the vituperation of commentators who have not much else to do with their lives than attempt to deflect their own failings onto others; if only Whitney had been able to do the same.

Thank You is a superb album and it would be great for Diana to feature its songs a bit more, but I truly hope to be able to witness the lady live and cheer her on during the course of 2022 regardless of the setlist!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The negative comments, though not surprising, are a bit chilling to read 1 day after the 10th commemoration of Whitney's death. Diana has the emotional intelligence and solid family base to shrug off the vituperation of commentators who have not much else to do with their lives than attempt to deflect their own failings onto others; if only Whitney had been able to do the same.
    As a huge Whitney fan, i’m appalled you would use the tragic events of her death in suggesting she lacked emotional intelligence to raise Diana’s profile. Chilling indeed.
    One thing she certainly didn’t do was kick sound monitors off stage, hurl microphones to the floor or write hateful letters about her staff. Emotional intelligence indeed.
    If the medical explanation for ‘ celebrity fan worship is to be believed, it’s sycophants such as yourself, while possessing little self worth, attempt to relive their lives through their chosen star.

But isn't this take a bit on the mean side Carlo?

I currently have a lot on my plate and contributing to the forum just isn't a priority, although I lurk nearly every other day, lest I miss some important Supremes related news. But it's posts like yours that make me think it's probably best to ween myself from the forum altogether. As has been pointed out recently [[I'm looking at you Thanxal) I am opinionated. And as such, it sucks feeling like I can't give an honest opinion without being personally criticized. Now there are some on this board, like the person with the ironic screen name, who is always taking Diana Ross criticism personally, and just about everyone has come to expect it and usually ignore it, but that's not something Carlo is known for. Is this really the board we want to be? Where our thoughts about Diana's shows have to be withheld in order to stave off personal attacks? The criticisms so far seem to be leveled squarely at the show and Diana's actions within it, rather than comments about she's fat, she's ugly, she sounds horrible, etc.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it is Diana Ross' show and she can present it however she desires. No argument from me. But when people are paying to see a show, it shouldn't matter how old a person is, how long they've been at it, or any of that other stuff, they should always want to give the public their money's worth. Is that often subjective? Absolutely. Your post, among others, proves that Diana's show is working just fine for some, while Brad and Ollie's posts, among others, prove that Diana's show isn't working just fine for others. Diana has never, and will never, be able to please everyone, but shouldn't both the pleased crowd and the un-pleased crowd have their equal say? It's hard for me to wrap my brain around any suggestion that Brad and Ollie are negative Diana Ross "fans" because they don't fawn over everything she does.

I'm not dumb enough to give my own thoughts on Diana's show at this point. Better to stay out of the line of fire.

I tend to agree. Unlike artists such as Tony Bennett or M’s Streisand, her audience tends to a little less musically sophisticated, make that interested. Familiar songs you can sing along to being the order of the day.
    As such, it’s most probably a wise decision if she fails to include anything from the new album or indeed any new material ever. After all, everyone on the planet knows the words to “I Will Survive”. Just ask Gloria.
    I'm going to skip right past your "less musically sophisticated" comment in order to keep from hurting you.

But your post brings to mind my thoughts on how Diana differs from some other iconic artists, such as the ones you mention. Thinking back on the Diana shows I've seen [[via video), from about the Evening With show forward, it appears to me like her voice and the music took a back seat to the Ross razzle dazzle, whereas a lot of other artists of her caliber preferred the vocals and music be the centerpiece. Diana is that rare talent that, truth be told, she could sit in an arena and not sing a lick and still be entertaining. My opinion anyway. But by focusing on the grandness of the Diana experience, and not as much the music itself, I think she got into a rhythm with it and grew comfortable, and as such, so did many of her fans.

Diana being no less talented than Streisand, Bennett, Labelle, and others [[again, my opinion), her voice and the music should be front and center. My wish continues to be that she'll do something like a Youtube performance with just a piano, or a three piece band, performing deep album cuts, or rarely performed Supremes songs. Sometimes she sounds like she's trying to be heard over the band and struggling, and it can give off the feel that the voice isn't quite right. But there are times when she isn't doing that and you realize the voice is still there. Not quite what it once was, of course, but still there. I'd love to hear her show it off, especially her lower register which has always been underutilized, despite being a beautiful facet of her talent.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Let me duck out before the shots ring out.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But isn't this take a bit on the mean side Carlo?

I currently have a lot on my plate and contributing to the forum just isn't a priority, although I lurk nearly every other day, lest I miss some important Supremes related news. But it's posts like yours that make me think it's probably best to ween myself from the forum altogether. As has been pointed out recently [[I'm looking at you Thanxal) I am opinionated. And as such, it sucks feeling like I can't give an honest opinion without being personally criticized. Now there are some on this board, like the person with the ironic screen name, who is always taking Diana Ross criticism personally, and just about everyone has come to expect it and usually ignore it, but that's not something Carlo is known for. Is this really the board we want to be? Where our thoughts about Diana's shows have to be withheld in order to stave off personal attacks? The criticisms so far seem to be leveled squarely at the show and Diana's actions within it, rather than comments about she's fat, she's ugly, she sounds horrible, etc.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that it is Diana Ross' show and she can present it however she desires. No argument from me. But when people are paying to see a show, it shouldn't matter how old a person is, how long they've been at it, or any of that other stuff, they should always want to give the public their money's worth. Is that often subjective? Absolutely. Your post, among others, proves that Diana's show is working just fine for some, while Brad and Ollie's posts, among others, prove that Diana's show isn't working just fine for others. Diana has never, and will never, be able to please everyone, but shouldn't both the pleased crowd and the un-pleased crowd have their equal say? It's hard for me to wrap my brain around any suggestion that Brad and Ollie are negative Diana Ross "fans" because they don't fawn over everything she does.

I'm not dumb enough to give my own thoughts on Diana's show at this point. Better to stay out of the line of fire.
    A thoughtful and measured post Ran.
    I actually think the show rather boring. Now that really will have the ‘must be grateful’ gang tugging on their pearls.

I'm going to sum up my feelings one last time, for everyone, before I officially make my exit from this thread...

We've all been struggling in our various ways, throughout this pandemic. I've unexpectedly lost some very near and dear to me, as I'm sure others here have. We've all endured many losses, hardships, emotional days, etc. To see one of my favourite artists back on stage in these dark times truly brought me some much needed joy. I suppose I came into this thread, foolishly expecting others to unanimously feel the same, without further comment. However, I instead found the various opinions expressed herein to be discouraging to me personally. I let this get the best of me and took it more personally than I should have, because I let these opinions strike a nerve, instead of focusing on my own feelings of joy. That being said, while my subsequent posts were not meant to single any particular person out, I genuinely offer my apologies to all, for unnecessarily adding fuel to the fire and going on the attack. I normally do try to stay out of such back and forths, and this is why I've been posting on this forum for over 15 years, using my real name, because I choose to stay accountible to myself, in regards to remaining respectful and tactful. Of course you are all fans of Ms Ross, and how you wish to experience your own fandom is your business [[ie expressing opinions to others, as harsh as they may be), without any interference from me or anyone else.

This being said, in these difficult times, I have chosen to focus on only the positive. Call me blind or foolish, but it's what gets me through, hence my posts in this thread that seem to come across as unwavering appreciation or worshipping. These posts are not a true reflection of my mindset. Of course I view Diana as a real person with her own faults, just as much as anyone else. I worked for Mary for a few years and experienced that reality first-hand [[ie. Your idols are human). For instance, I agree that Diana should have done a sound check for this show, as it was noted by other fans on social media that she was not there. Oh well...

Take care everyone. Be well.

I'm going to skip right past your "less musically sophisticated" comment in order to keep from hurting you.

But your post brings to mind my thoughts on how Diana differs from some other iconic artists, such as the ones you mention. Thinking back on the Diana shows I've seen [[via video), from about the Evening With show forward, it appears to me like her voice and the music took a back seat to the Ross razzle dazzle, whereas a lot of other artists of her caliber preferred the vocals and music be the centerpiece. Diana is that rare talent that, truth be told, she could sit in an arena and not sing a lick and still be entertaining. My opinion anyway. But by focusing on the grandness of the Diana experience, and not as much the music itself, I think she got into a rhythm with it and grew comfortable, and as such, so did many of her fans.

Diana being no less talented than Streisand, Bennett, Labelle, and others [[again, my opinion), her voice and the music should be front and center. My wish continues to be that she'll do something like a Youtube performance with just a piano, or a three piece band, performing deep album cuts, or rarely performed Supremes songs. Sometimes she sounds like she's trying to be heard over the band and struggling, and it can give off the feel that the voice isn't quite right. But there are times when she isn't doing that and you realize the voice is still there. Not quite what it once was, of course, but still there. I'd love to hear her show it off, especially her lower register which has always been underutilized, despite being a beautiful facet of her talent.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Let me duck out before the shots ring out.
    I was a bit dubious about the sophisticated comment myself lol. I was really referring to the casual punter, who’s only reason for attending would be to to hear the familiar, not a rare album track or indeed anything new. I think Ross attracts more of those then say a Bennett or a Streisand does.. Most certainly in my own personal experience.
    I love the idea of her performing with just a piano or rare album cuts. The reason i sometimes get frustrated being i adore the voice, and think her capable of so much more then performing the same set of songs over and over and over again. With her lower register she could kill some of those jazz numbers.
    With the “Thank You” album being such a personal project, I would be very disappointed if she doesn’t end up performing at least two of its songs.
    The ‘we should just be grateful gang’ would I'm sure disagree, but again, like you it’s just personal opinion.

As has been pointed out recently [[I'm looking at you Thanxal) I am opinionated.
    Don't you have your own ghetto yet? You know you love us and just can't resist posting. All this "I'm busy". Yeahhhh...

I'm going to sum up my feelings one last time, for everyone, before I officially make my exit from this thread...

We've all been struggling in our various ways, throughout this pandemic. I've unexpectedly lost some very near and dear to me, as I'm sure others here have. We've all endured many losses, hardships, emotional days, etc. To see one of my favourite artists back on stage in these dark times truly brought me some much needed joy. I suppose I came into this thread, foolishly expecting others to unanimously feel the same, without further comment. However, I instead found the various opinions expressed herein to be discouraging to me personally. I let this get the best of me and took it more personally than I should have, because I let these opinions strike a nerve, instead of focusing on my own feelings of joy. That being said, while my subsequent posts were not meant to single any particular person out, I genuinely offer my apologies to all, for unnecessarily adding fuel to the fire and going on the attack. I normally do try to stay out of such back and forths, and this is why I've been posting on this forum for over 15 years, using my real name, because I choose to stay accountible to myself, in regards to remaining respectful and tactful. Of course you are all fans of Ms Ross, and how you wish to experience your own fandom is your business [[ie expressing opinions to others, as harsh as they may be), without any interference from me or anyone else.

This being said, in these difficult times, I have chosen to focus on only the positive. Call me blind or foolish, but it's what gets me through, hence my posts in this thread that seem to come across as unwavering appreciation or worshipping. These posts are not a true reflection of my mindset. Of course I view Diana as a real person with her own faults, just as much as anyone else. I worked for Mary for a few years and experienced that reality first-hand [[ie. Your idols are human). For instance, I agree that Diana should have done a sound check for this show, as it was noted by other fans on social media that she was not there. Oh well...

Take care everyone. Be well.
    Carlo check your messages, please and thank you.

I was a bit dubious about the sophisticated comment myself lol. I was really referring to the casual punter, who’s only reason for attending would be to to hear the familiar, not a rare album track or indeed anything new. I think Ross attracts more of those then say a Bennett or a Streisand does.. Most certainly in my own personal experience.
    I love the idea of her performing with just a piano or rare album cuts. The reason i sometimes get frustrated being i adore the voice, and think her capable of so much more then performing the same set of songs over and over and over again. With her lower register she could kill some of those jazz numbers.
    With the “Thank You” album being such a personal project, I would be very disappointed if she doesn’t end up performing at least two of its songs.
    The ‘we should just be grateful gang’ would I'm sure disagree, but again, like you it’s just personal opinion.
    Yeah, at this point I'm not as interested in hearing the hits. She's done them for eons now and to be honest her voice doesn't pull them off the way I usually want to hear them. So for me it's the material where she gets to really stretch her artistry, and the jazzy numbers would be a welcome earful. I'd love for her to even turn some of the classic hits into jazz and blues. I think she'd wow people with that.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Don't you have your own ghetto yet? You know you love us and just can't resist posting. All this "I'm busy". Yeahhhh...
    Oh please, you know Ralph aint about to give me nothin'. And I am busy. I don't have time to talk about Supremes with you people. Don't you all have more important things to do with your time?

I've seen several of the clips and I wasn't too impressed if my honest opinion counts. The only song she seemed to loosen up was Come See About Me. It could be a positive thing for her though if she has anxiety about the pandemic, this may be a step further for her to get more comfortable and used to it. I also agree there's no reason for her not to be prepared for one song.

With that being said, I've also been thinking about taking a big step away from the forum. I'll read up here and there but I don't know if I'm going to post anymore. It's not the same around here. I don't know if it's from loosing certain members [[or gaining some fanatical ones) or Mary's passing but something's missing and I find myself disinterested lately in this forum.

I'd enjoy seeing Diana Ross bring back her Stolen Moments show or a variation of that, but I'm realistic enough to know that will likely not happen.

Stolen Moments was a concert where, while she gave some of the Diana razzle dazzle, was really a showcase for the songs and music. She can do it. But it's never been a show that's discussed all that much amongst the fans it seems, so there's some truth to the claim that her audience [[both die hard fans and casual) is more into the razzle dazzle and glitz and star quality and the big hits that bring back a lot of joy and nostalgia.

Thank you so much Carlo. I agree 100 percent to what you said. I have seen Diana Ross live more times than I can remember. I can hardly wait to see her this year at the Hollywood Bowl.

Ive got this to say and its only my opinion. Had Miss Ross mentioned Mary personally there would have been those that say what took her so long. Fans keep this Diana and Mary feud going and ive got proof of that cause it happens on every facebook Ross/Supremes fanpage. I give Miss Ross a pass for every error she may have made on Saturday night. Shes 78 next month and hasnt been out of the house in 2 years. Thats real tough folks. My Aunt Montse lost her cousin and best friend since they was 2 years old to Covid in May of 2020 and has barely been out of the house since then. Her groceries are all delivered and she goes to church online and only goes out for a walk double masked at 6.30am every morning and in winter when its dark she doesnt get out for her walk. Shes terrified of catching Covid and it makes her real anxious. Now back to Diana Ross. So she didnt rehearse a song. Maybe she didnt want to be around people but did manage to go onstage. All of her musicians were masked. As for Diana and Mary, well they may not have been around each other much but Turkessa said on a video or maybe it was ET that they did speak on the phone and George or Andy stated on video that Mary met a fan for lunch or dinner or coffee in Vegas back in 2018 or 2019 and told Mary he wanted to see Diana or meet Diana while she was playing The Wynn. Jorge or Andy said Mary made a call and the fan got to see Diana. These women truly loved each other. They built each others legacy. You can not like some friends at times but that doesnt stop you from loving them. As for Dianas UK tour. I have no doubt shes going to be fighting fit and put on a great show for her fans.

Don't you all have more important things to do with your time?
    No.

[[Are you new here? Don't you know any better?)

Diana Ross did amazing with her live show unbelievable for 78 years old and for the person to tell her to go hang it up I think she did way better than you could do anything in your life maybe it’s about time you hung it up The most of the Nasty reportings are coming from the Merry Wilson camp go figure