[REMOVE ADS]

“Summer of Soul” will air Sunday, Feb, 20 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.

I saw this documentary last year, either on PBS or Hulu. It is an excellent documentary that seems to have been lost for years. Some call it the Black Woodstock

“Summer of Soul” will air Super Bowl Sunday, Feb, 20 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC. The scheduling sucks, but that's why they invented DVRs. It is currently streaming on Hulu and Disney+.

Ooops My mistake. It was just pointed out that there is no scheduling conflict with Super Bowl. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Good news but be aware there is no conflict with the Super Bowl because that takes place THIS Sunday the 13th.

“Summer of Soul [[…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)” is making its broadcast TV debut. The Oscar-nominated documentary will air Feb. 20 on ABC, the network said Thursday.

Acclaimed musician Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson made his directorial debut with the film, which tells the story of the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival at Mount Morris Park — just 100 miles south of Woodstock.

The festival featured a knockout lineup of R&B acts who turned several days of music and community into a celebration of joy and a call for Black visibility. “Summer of Soul” compiles long-unseen footage and vivid interviews with attendees and participants to transport viewers back to the event.

For the film, Questlove combed through 40 hours of footage of never-before-seen performances from Stevie Wonder, Sly and the Family Stone, Nina Simone, B.B. King, the Staple Singers, the 5th Dimension, David Ruffin, Mahalia Jackson and Gladys Knight and the Pips.

“Summer of Soul” premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, where it won both the Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award.

The documentary has also garnered a host of other awards, including six Critics’ Choice Documentary Awards. In addition to its Academy Award nod, it has secured nominations from the 75th BAFTA Awards, DGA, PGA, the Grammys and more.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/oscar-nomi...201814806.html

Last edited by milven; 02-11-2022 at 12:14 PM. Reason: SENILITY

Good news but be aware there is no conflict with the Super Bowl because that takes place THIS Sunday the 13th.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I knew the Super Bowl was this weekend, but somehow confused the dates. A senior moment. But that is good news. A bigger audience for this doc. I'll try to edit my post.
    Last edited by milven; 02-11-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Check out YouTube Summer of Soul Juneteenth concert.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Check out YouTube Summer of Soul Juneteenth concert.

Great for those that want to record it for posterity. I saw it in a theater [[picture too dark) and watched again on Disney+ the other day. For some reason, I didn't care for it much on a second play. One criticism I've read about and also agree is the cutting away from the acts too much. Some of it was OK, for instance, the 5th Dimension told the interesting story about how some folks thought the group were not black enough. I never once thought that about them back in the day. Over all though, I'd rather the act, audience back & forth cuts over an over abundance of talking heads. Some interesting, some not so.

Did Ruffin sing only one song at the festival? Were songs and acts not filmed or cut out in editing? Biggest negative for me was the lead singer of the Edwin Hawkings Singers was not there. Huge disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Great for those that want to record it for posterity. I saw it in a theater [[picture too dark) and watched again on Disney+ the other day. For some reason, I didn't care for it much on a second play. One criticism I've read about and also agree is the cutting away from the acts too much. Some of it was OK, for instance, the 5th Dimension told the interesting story about how some folks thought the group were not black enough. I never once thought that about them back in the day. Over all though, I'd rather the act, audience back & forth cuts over an over abundance of talking heads. Some interesting, some not so.

Did Ruffin sing only one song at the festival? Were songs and acts not filmed or cut out in editing? Biggest negative for me was the lead singer of the Edwin Hawkings Singers was not there. Huge disappointment.
    There was tons of footage. There was no way to include it all. I don't remember how many concerts took place but I would assume that most artists did more than one song. I've seen some of Gladys Knight and the Pips' set on YouTube and they sang quite a few songs but only one made it to the film.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There was tons of footage. There was no way to include it all. I don't remember how many concerts took place but I would assume that most artists did more than one song. I've seen some of Gladys Knight and the Pips' set on YouTube and they sang quite a few songs but only one made it to the film.
    Thanks Reese. Now I'm wondering if any acts didn't make the cut at all. Also, perhaps there will be a chance to see the other footage in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Thanks Reese. Now I'm wondering if any acts didn't make the cut at all. Also, perhaps there will be a chance to see the other footage in the future.
    At the end of the film was a list of all of the performers who performed at the festival. Artists such as Chuck Jackson, Blinky, and Yvonne Fair were amongst those listed. Was every performance filmed? Only the original producer knows. But even if they were, there's no way all of them could make it to the film. At best, we can hope for some dvd bonus performances.