[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Tempest Trio

Tempest Trio

The one and only album from Tempest Trio – a sweet disco side project from Detroit funk masters Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore! The trio's got that three-female vocal approach used by many other disco acts at the time – but served up over rhythms that definitely echo the earlier work of Coffey and Theodore – especially the former, given some of the sharply choppy guitar riffs that really make the album groove nicely! But the vocals are hardly an afterthought either, because they step out with some nice leads at time – and give the record a lot more depth than other projects of this nature. Surprisingly solid all the way through – and a damn funky approach to disco – with cuts that include "Love Machine", "Do You Like the Way that Feels", "Last Call For Love", and a medley of "You Keep Me Hangin' On/Love Chains".

I noticed this sold out as soon as it hit Dusty Groove. Does anyone know the 3 female singers in this
    'studio group'. I see Dennis Coffey was part of this project. You can hear most of the CD on youtube.
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-04-2022 at 11:24 AM.

I got my copy from CDJapan. Just over 12 UK pounds including postage with no surcharge on delivery. Nice copy, sounded a touch bright but I need to dig the vinyl out to compare. This is the sort of release UK label Disco Recharge would have have added the 12" versions on. Alan Jones would also have done extensive sleeve notes and if anyone could advise the girls names? You probably already checked Discogs? It looks other people are asking the same question. I thought I'd cracked it on a YouTube clip. Some guy claimed to know the singers' names and they had also been on the High On Mad Mountain project with Mike Theodore. Trouble was, four girls were named. Unless Tempest Trio were a quartet, this is probably incorrect. Massive thanks for advising it was out on CD though.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I got my copy from CDJapan. Just over 12 UK pounds including postage with no surcharge on delivery. Nice copy, sounded a touch bright but I need to dig the vinyl out to compare. This is the sort of release UK label Disco Recharge would have have added the 12" versions on. Alan Jones would also have done extensive sleeve notes and if anyone could advise the girls names? You probably already checked Discogs? It looks other people are asking the same question. I thought I'd cracked it on a YouTube clip. Some guy claimed to know the singers' names and they had also been on the High On Mad Mountain project with Mike Theodore. Trouble was, four girls were named. Unless Tempest Trio were a quartet, this is probably incorrect. Massive thanks for advising it was out on CD though.
    You bet, Danno. If you ever find out who the singers are.....please post! Thanks.

These disco ladies are pretty darn great – a lot more deep-voice than some of their club contemporaries – at a level that makes the record way stronger than just another album of grooves! The girls work in trio format – but the record has an approach that puts the vocals first, rather than use them to augment the usual studio work in a funky style – so that there's a rich feel to the record that really knocks it out of the park – almost in an earlier female group mode! The set was recorded in California, and we don't know much else about it – but we can say that tracks include "Woman", "Our Love Is Special", "Better Than Walking Out", "Lovin You Is So Easy", and "I Second That Emotion".

Another group I was wondering who the singers are. Anyone know anything about this group? You can check out their music on YouTube.
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-20-2022 at 11:32 PM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kgP1bdKYPEk

nothing connotes ‘trio’ like a person floating solo on a raft in a pool

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

nothing connotes ‘trio’ like a person floating solo on a raft in a pool
    Yep. Same thing for the group "Three's Company". I guess it beats the dead dandelion on the cover of The Supremes Jimmy Webb album!
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-21-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Yep. Same thing for the group "Three's Company". I guess it beats the dead dandelion on the cover of The Supremes Jimmy Webb album!
    ^^^^^Hee haw !!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Ah, the group Pam Vincent is in. I like that CD.

Brandye the most famous and unkown Girlgroup Part 1 - SoulDisco
    Last edited by lakeside; 02-23-2022 at 11:53 AM.