[REMOVE ADS]

New finds for 2022

2022 is starting up nicely - been saturating myself with some good grown- folk soul music. I wanted to share and see what other new and good things people have been listening to at the start of the year. Four things I wanted to spotlight:

Lady Wray - "Piece of Me" - a real nice through back indie soul album. Nice understated production, distinctive soulful vocals - listen to this album straight through and then start it again. I've been spinning this on a loop consistently for the last two weeks.

LadyBlackbird -Black Acid Soul - is a real surprise. She is like the grandchild of Nina Simone/Tina Turner and distant cousin to Cassandra Wilson. This is a great late night album akin to the after hour albums that Nina put out early in her career but also really modern. This is one to put on when you want to chill, sip or toke something and be taken away by good music. This is her debut and she is a real special distinctive talent.

Cleo Sol - Mother - This came out in December and what a beautiful record by this on the rise UK soul artist. "Mother" is all about the feels here - mellow, contemplative, naked, ear-catching with production that underscores her fluttering, emotive vocals that at times call to mind Minnie Riperton. Produced by the UK's hottest producer Inflo - this is a modern classic in the making.

Reissue - Quincy Jones - $ [[LP only) - This is for the vinyl collector - a reissue of a Q soundtrack from the 1972 film with Goldie Hawn and Warren Beatty called "the Heist". I've never seen it but if the music is any indication, I a look for it. It's part of Rhino Records 2022 "Start your Ears Off Right" campaign which btw also has a great remastered vinyl reissue of Aretha's Sparkle which is also great). This soundtrack features guest vocals from Little Richard and Robert Flack on a couple of tracks and each give wonderful performances. Musically Q gives you everything you could want -his great arrangements, funky/jazzy and eccletic compositions - top shelf vocal touches. It's all dope. The 2021 remastering is incredible and the lp is really affordable [[about $21). If you still own & use a turntable - check this one out.

What have others come across? Do share - "pass the information,extend the knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksoulfire View Post
    2022 is starting up nicely - been saturating myself with some good grown- folk soul music. I wanted to share and see what other new and good things people have been listening to at the start of the year. Four things I wanted to spotlight:

Lady Wray - "Piece of Me" - a real nice through back indie soul album. Nice understated production, distinctive soulful vocals - listen to this album straight through and then start it again. I've been spinning this on a loop consistently for the last two weeks.

LadyBlackbird -Black Acid Soul - is a real surprise. She is like the grandchild of Nina Simone/Tina Turner and distant cousin to Cassandra Wilson. This is a great late night album akin to the after hour albums that Nina put out early in her career but also really modern. This is one to put on when you want to chill, sip or toke something and be taken away by good music. This is her debut and she is a real special distinctive talent.

Cleo Sol - Mother - This came out in December and what a beautiful record by this on the rise UK soul artist. "Mother" is all about the feels here - mellow, contemplative, naked, ear-catching with production that underscores her fluttering, emotive vocals that at times call to mind Minnie Riperton. Produced by the UK's hottest producer Inflo - this is a modern classic in the making.

Reissue - Quincy Jones - $ [[LP only) - This is for the vinyl collector - a reissue of a Q soundtrack from the 1972 film with Goldie Hawn and Warren Beatty called "the Heist". I've never seen it but if the music is any indication, I a look for it. It's part of Rhino Records 2022 "Start your Ears Off Right" campaign which btw also has a great remastered vinyl reissue of Aretha's Sparkle which is also great). This soundtrack features guest vocals from Little Richard and Robert Flack on a couple of tracks and each give wonderful performances. Musically Q gives you everything you could want -his great arrangements, funky/jazzy and eccletic compositions - top shelf vocal touches. It's all dope. The 2021 remastering is incredible and the lp is really affordable [[about $21). If you still own & use a turntable - check this one out.

What have others come across? Do share - "pass the information,extend the knowledge"
    Not as expressive as you, but here's a little something-something: Rachel Fox [[emotive soulful love songs-not [Let'sTalk About Sex songs], Calvin Richardson [[think 70s Bobby Womack), Music Soulchild[[ Eric Benet 2.0, Tank [[alone on the ivories) - off the top of my dome!! Worth a serious check out. That is all.

I liked Lady Wray’s previous album Queen Alone… and I’ve just downloaded her most recent so will give it a listen!

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with Samm Henshaw, but I’ve enjoyed a lot of his stuff over the last couple of years. He’s just released a new album Untidy Soul which I’ve also just downloaded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzw...6JvBa2iXMBqKvV

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I don’t know if anyone is familiar with Samm Henshaw, but I’ve enjoyed a lot of his stuff over the last couple of years. He’s just released a new album Untidy Soul which I’ve also just downloaded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzw...6JvBa2iXMBqKvV
    Sam Henshaw sounds interesting - sampled the videos. I'm hoping to find him on vinyl or cd. Not a downloader! Thanks for the tip.

Sam Henshaw sounds interesting - sampled the videos. I'm hoping to find him on vinyl or cd. Not a downloader! Thanks for the tip.
    No problem blaksoulfire! Having listened to the album, its not bad, but I do prefer his previous stuff. This new album is a sounds a bit more scratchy, sample-based, and not quite as good as some of his earlier work. Still, not some bad tracks on there.

Yes to Lady Blackbird. A friend sent me a remix of "Collage" in 2020 saying it sounded a little like Chaka Khan and I definitely could hear that. Since then I'd only heard club remixes of her songs -- "Beware The Stranger" and "Blackbird" -- so I was floored when I got "Black Acid Soul" and discovered she is an emotive vocalist in a more jazz/soul idiom. Very impressed by her.

March has brought two of my FAVOURITE albums of 2022…

The Dip’s Sticking With It… classic R&B and soul from this seven piece band out of Seattle. My favourite is "Sleep On It" but the whole album sounds FANTASTIC!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app...RFIU4n2VNK-qBI

And… Sugaray Rayford's In Too Deep… bluesy R&B soul and funk, including my favourite "Gonna Lift You Up", which has tones of Motown!!!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app...0a9Ny4y0AowxTD

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    March has brought two of my FAVOURITE albums of 2022…

The Dip’s Sticking With It… classic R&B and soul from this seven piece band out of Seattle. My favourite is "Sleep On It" but the whole album sounds FANTASTIC!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app...RFIU4n2VNK-qBI
    I kind of like this Tom. I'm going to look into the album. Thanks!

You’re welcome Ran! I don’t know any other songs that use the words "precipice", "careens" and "reverie", so it’s at least unique in that regard!!!!!

Great Topic! There is so much good music out there if you take the time to look and listen for it. I consume music mostly thru YouTube Music streaming service and I was deep in some music rabbit hole and a Cleo Sol track came up and I had to immediately go to see what she had released. She's made to two full cd releases: Rose in The Dark and Mother and both are EXCELLENT and worth seeking out. The first track I heard by her was When I'm In Your Arms. It's a cut of fresh old school, I pick up a bit of Erykah Badu in her voice and lyrics. Thoughts?