[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes on Red Skelton [Rare Color Copy]

The Supremes appear at 35:00

Great find; lovely to see. OMG does Skelton make my flesh crawl.

Poor Flo always a step behind as far as the choreography lol but great video

Wonderful to finally see the full footage in living colour! Thank you Reese!

I really enjoyed watching this. I think Motown made the right decision by not releasing it as a single. “Mother Dear” is nice enough, but a little lightweight when compared to the classic “Nothing But Heartaches”.

Thank you so much what a great find the posts like this make our day again thank you

I'm gonna date myself here but I remember this performance vividly, I was 9 when this aired. This performance cemented my love for the Supremes. Back then TV was tame and the ladies oozed of innocent sexuality. All they did was wiggle in time with the music.

This aired as I Hear A Symphony was coming off the charts. Naturally I assumed MD was the new single. Then out comes My World. Just as this record was peaking the ladies were on Dean Martin doing a live version of MD, so this was very confusing. Now we know these shows were taped months prior to airing and apparently Motown was set to release MD to follow Nothing but Heartaches. I love the track but I agree, it was not single material. The HELP HELP ME MOTHER DEAR hook was too reminiscent of a recent Beach Boys hit, Help Me Rhonda. Symphony was the perfect choice.

I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Great find; lovely to see. OMG does Skelton make my flesh crawl.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! Can you imagine him asking in 2022 "what country" the Supremes were from?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Poor Flo always a step behind as far as the choreography lol but great video
    Lol yes! Always trying hard, but ever so clunky.

this was taped in june 65 but Nothing But Heartaches was the next single
    maybe this was a test, but this performance didnt help with the release of NBH.
    business wise,poor decision imo. but great clip. my fav version of this song

I also remember when this episode appeared on my B&W tv back in the day. Thank you for finding and posting this clear memory from back in the day. Of course, we know they also performed "Mother Dear" on the Dean Martin show which demonstrates there was indeed a possibility this would be their next single.

Thanks for posting, fascinating clip, always another one appears I'd never seen. Love it!

perhaps it was felt there was too much a weaker semblance of

Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-28-2022 at 02:16 AM.

Such was the quality of the groups musical output during this period, there were quite a few other songs that also had hit potential. “The Only Time I’m Happy”. “Whisper You Love Me Boy” and Everything’s Good About You” being three that spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    perhaps it was felt there was too much a weaker semblance of

That's interesting about the similarity to 'Mother Dear's' similarity to the Beach Boys' 'Help Me, Rhonda.' As an avid radio listener back in the day, this relationship between the two never entered my mind. In hindsight, I can understand it since it has been pointed out.

It would’ve really been noticeable had the lyrics been “help help me momma” without the dear.
    which who know maybe originally they were.!!
    I don’t think you would’ve been prone to make the comparison jobucats because the Beach boys tune was on the radio Pounding into your head whereas the Supremes Song was not.

what a boring show and weak platform for the Supremes. Reds banter at them was absurd. I guess he was just playing off the British Invasion's music dominance and how odd -refreshing - it was to have American performers doing so well amongst them . Poorly executed.

not the girls at their best ….. wooden ….belabored and contrived movements and mommy dearest definitely doesn’t lyrically showcase the supremes part of Diana Ross and the ….
    They look crowded for no reason. No wonder Diana wanted out ….

oh and those garments …! Maybe they thought they were doing the Don Ho show
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-28-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Here's the cover photo from their 65/66 touring concert program booklet featuring them on the set of the Red Skelton Show. Name:  Supremes.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  11.3 KB

It would’ve really been noticeable had the lyrics been “help help me momma” without the dear.
    which who know maybe originally they were.!!
    I don’t think you would’ve been prone to make the comparison jobucats because the Beach boys tune was on the radio Pounding into your head whereas the Supremes Song was not.

what a boring show and weak platform for the Supremes. Reds banter at them was absurd. I guess he was just playing off the British Invasion's music dominance and how odd -refreshing - it was to have American performers doing so well amongst them . Poorly executed.

not the girls at their best ….. wooden ….belabored and contrived movements and mommy dearest definitely doesn’t lyrically showcase the supremes part of Diana Ross and the ….
    They look crowded for no reason. No wonder Diana wanted out ….

oh and those garments …! Maybe they thought they were doing the Don Ho show
    i think you need to take this in context. the show was taped months prior to the air date. i believe they did the taping in August - so just shortly after the Copa smash. Is this performance as galvanizing and as polished as their appearance on the R&H special or the command they had of the stage in TCB or as perfect as the Fats Waller medley on Sullivan? no of course not. but this was very early in their career. they had only just made in July their 2nd performance on Sullivan, they had a few months prior made their first appearance on Hollywood palace. most of their tv spots prior to this had been teen shows.

to me, this clip is sort of like the Copa show 65 vs Cope 67. so much growth and development in those 2 years. so this clip is early, more raw, more stiff then they'd become as time went by.

Also the gowns were most likely bought at Saks. these, the green ones with the gold hoops, the long pink ones they wore on To Tell the Truth were ones they got for the copa. they would have gone to the boutique in the store and selected a variety of gowns - different styles, colors. i agree these are hardly my favs either lol. but i do appreciate seeing them in color here. i didn't know there was a bit of sequins on them in the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i think you need to take this in context. the show was taped months prior to the air date. i believe they did the taping in August - so just shortly after the Copa smash. Is this performance as galvanizing and as polished as their appearance on the R&H special or the command they had of the stage in TCB or as perfect as the Fats Waller medley on Sullivan? no of course not. but this was very early in their career. they had only just made in July their 2nd performance on Sullivan, they had a few months prior made their first appearance on Hollywood palace. most of their tv spots prior to this had been teen shows.

to me, this clip is sort of like the Copa show 65 vs Cope 67. so much growth and development in those 2 years. so this clip is early, more raw, more stiff then they'd become as time went by.

Also the gowns were most likely bought at Saks. these, the green ones with the gold hoops, the long pink ones they wore on To Tell the Truth were ones they got for the copa. they would have gone to the boutique in the store and selected a variety of gowns - different styles, colors. i agree these are hardly my favs either lol. but i do appreciate seeing them in color here. i didn't know there was a bit of sequins on them in the pattern.
    thanks for providing this insight. Looking at it from this perspective
    its really a treat to watch these three still developing their skills .

I think my complaint is with the show itself , but even that in its context of the times , well that’s just how they did things. They look like they are standing on a concrete slab.in an unfinished Costco . And the tight look , they must Have been told to stand close to best suit the camera shot of the three of them.

Now I’m imagining the three of them being all giddy shopping at Saks choosing these fancy clothes together . I wonder which of them most wanted this particular look. Did they all agree equally?

I think my complaint is with the show itself , but even that in its context of the times , well that’s just how they did things. They look like they are standing on a concrete slab.in an unfinished Costco . And the tight look , they must Have been told to stand close to best suit the camera shot of the three of them.

Now I’m imagining the three of them being all giddy shopping at Saks choosing these fancy clothes together . I wonder which of them most wanted this particular look. Did they all agree equally?
    lol i love bantering back and forth with fans, hearing everyone's thoughts. and your comments on the old Costco concrete floor are great! lol

the show is definitely of its time. it's very cornball but that was common on tv then. Ed Sullivan was more just matter of fact and dry. But if you watch the early Hollywood Palaces that the girls were on, the hosts made similar cornball comments. At the time, r&r was still very young. it had maybe been around in popular music for a decade. it was one thing for r&r to be on the teen shows in the afternoon, but to have these acts on the ADULT primetime shows was really a big deal. and i'm sure lots of adults were very wary about any rock group, much less a group of BLACK GIRLS!! gasp!!! lol

Berry was so determined to break the girls in that he was more then willing to play their game. that meant cornball shtick, MOR standards, demure girls, etc.

I can see some old white middle-aged couple sitting in front of the tv, wary at first but then the wife started to say "well now Howard, for colored girls that was rather nice! they looked rather pretty in those wild red gowns"

and that was the first brick in the wall removed

the song that i think best represents the girls' development is You're Nobody.

1. listen to the version on More Hits EE. i think this is one of the very first times they did the song. they don't make any real mistakes but you can tell they're pretty green with it

2. on hullabaloo, the girls are just on fire. it's still sort of "kids playing grown up" with it but you can tell they're just having a ball

3. then on Copa EE it has more life. they're more used to it and make it more of a finale piece. it's becoming more of THEIR repertoire versus "kids singing mom and dad's song"

4. on Sullivan, IMO they pulled it back a little. sure there was a live audience there but the tv audience isn't really the same as a club audience. the interaction with performers is more distanced. it's good but more again like "the kids acting like grown ups." this was only their second appearance on the show so maybe they're still a bit restrained

5. Roostertail Sept 66 - man. they own it here. the girls are really strong with it. they're super confident and it's no longer young girls trying to act like grown ups. the comedy routine has evolved too

6. copa 67. to me, this is the ultimate version. it's now a full blown routine to end their show with. the comedy parts have expanded even more. it's truly a finale to the act

IMO YNTBLY is the epitome of the Supremes. it not only represents their talents and abilities to sing songs not necessarily of their genre, but it was the ticket that helped break them into Copa and beyond. sure they had done MOR content before and of course they did tons more after. but to me, this song represents how and why they broke through

the song that i think best represents the girls' development is You're Nobody.

1. listen to the version on More Hits EE. i think this is one of the very first times they did the song. they don't make any real mistakes but you can tell they're pretty green with it

2. on hullabaloo, the girls are just on fire. it's still sort of "kids playing grown up" with it but you can tell they're just having a ball

3. then on Copa EE it has more life. they're more used to it and make it more of a finale piece. it's becoming more of THEIR repertoire versus "kids singing mom and dad's song"

4. on Sullivan, IMO they pulled it back a little. sure there was a live audience there but the tv audience isn't really the same as a club audience. the interaction with performers is more distanced. it's good but more again like "the kids acting like grown ups." this was only their second appearance on the show so maybe they're still a bit restrained

5. Roostertail Sept 66 - man. they own it here. the girls are really strong with it. they're super confident and it's no longer young girls trying to act like grown ups. the comedy routine has evolved too

6. copa 67. to me, this is the ultimate version. it's now a full blown routine to end their show with. the comedy parts have expanded even more. it's truly a finale to the act

IMO YNTBLY is the epitome of the Supremes. it not only represents their talents and abilities to sing songs not necessarily of their genre, but it was the ticket that helped break them into Copa and beyond. sure they had done MOR content before and of course they did tons more after. but to me, this song represents how and why they broke through
    This is a great post!

Re the MORE HITS EE version, there is one BIG mistake. Once the uptempo section begins, Diana is either ahead or behind the band and it isn't corrected until the spot where the girls sing acapella "The world's the same will always remain and you'll never change it."

There was also a nice performance of the song on the Mike Douglas show. I assume it is around the same time as Hullabaloo. See below at 11:40.
    Last edited by reese; 02-01-2022 at 01:45 PM.

When was "Rock a Bye your Baby with a Dixie Melody" dropped from the act?

Between this and the never released as a single "Mother Dear", this has to be one of the more lackluster set of songs The Supremes performed for a TV appearance.

I wonder how the time lines fitted in, particularly The Dean Martin Show?

I had always understood that Mother Dear was to be the follow-up to Back In My Arms Again but got a lacklustre reaction when performed and was dropped in favour of Heartaches.

From Where Did Our Love Go through to Arms the singles were refreshing and different but I felt the problem with Heartaches was that it was basically Back In My Arms again Part 2.

Had it been released after Stop! In The Name Of Love I think it had a shot at #1.

Wonder what might have happened had Arms and Heartaches been released the other way round?

Maybe the appeal was waning slightly as Arms missed #1 in Record World.

lol i love bantering back and forth with fans, hearing everyone's thoughts. and your comments on the old Costco concrete floor are great! lol

the show is definitely of its time. it's very cornball but that was common on tv then. Ed Sullivan was more just matter of fact and dry. But if you watch the early Hollywood Palaces that the girls were on, the hosts made similar cornball comments. At the time, r&r was still very young. it had maybe been around in popular music for a decade. it was one thing for r&r to be on the teen shows in the afternoon, but to have these acts on the ADULT primetime shows was really a big deal. and i'm sure lots of adults were very wary about any rock group, much less a group of BLACK GIRLS!! gasp!!! lol

Berry was so determined to break the girls in that he was more then willing to play their game. that meant cornball shtick, MOR standards, demure girls, etc.

I can see some old white middle-aged couple sitting in front of the tv, wary at first but then the wife started to say "well now Howard, for colored girls that was rather nice! they looked rather pretty in those wild red gowns"

and that was the first brick in the wall removed
    Yes it’s enlightening to exchange thoughts from all angles with others, I enjoy your thoughtful input Sup.
    As far as black and white’s reception of this at the time,
    when this was aired, less than ten per cent of Households had color TVs and were watching on TVs with poor reception. So the Costco gray background, the concrete floor , I realize, was of little consequence, a waste of time to do more.
    That we are seeing them in Full color this way and are able to witness their Flowery attire in all their bright glory is really a privilege that 90 per cent of those watching at the time never got to witness.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-01-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    When was "Rock a Bye your Baby with a Dixie Melody" dropped from the act?

Between this and the never released as a single "Mother Dear", this has to be one of the more lackluster set of songs The Supremes performed for a TV appearance.
    there are pics of DMF doing Rock a Bye at the Fairmont in San Fran in 66, wearing the red sequin gowns from R&H. looks like they played there from 5/19 - 6/8

so that's basically a year after Copa debut they were still doing it. but it doesn't seem to appear in any of the footage for the Orient film nor in the Roostertail recording. so my guess is that it would have been gone by summer 66

it sort of seems like mid 66 was a revamp of the show. i'm sort of guessing here since we only have the handful of audio recordings that we have. they would have been adding the Symphony medley, Michelle and Yesterday, More around this time to the act. they still had Make Someone Happy, Sam Cook medley, Queen of the house, You're nobody and Somewhere.

then some time in early 67 there seems to be another big revamp. this is when they consolidated some of the earlier hits into a medley, added lady is a tramp to highlight the recent R&H work, Millie/Rose/Mame medley. make someone happy was gone, seems like Sam Cooke was replaced by the Millie/Mame stuff

then some time in early 67 there seems to be another big revamp. this is when they consolidated some of the earlier hits into a medley, added lady is a tramp to highlight the recent R&H work, Millie/Rose/Mame medley. make someone happy was gone, seems like Sam Cooke was replaced by the Millie/Mame stuff
    The Sam Cooke medley stayed in the act at least through early '68. One of their Sweden performances had it as the finale.

Thanks for the info Sup fan and Reese.

I think another reason why Dixie Melody was a bit of a stiff, awkward performance was the interjection of the dancers in the middle. I would presume for their Copa/nightclub act the Supremes did not have a dance troupe as a part of their act. Maybe it might have been smoother if they had been allowed to do the number as they've already done it so many times on stage?

also i'm assuming they're lip syncing here. this song probably works best live, on stage with a band. adds more spontaneity and excitement. Listen to the version of the song on the There's A Place For Us cd. i like it but it's not as fun as the live version