[REMOVE ADS]

Who Made The Best Career Move in Leaving Motown: Tops, GK&tP's or the Jackson 5?

My thought is that, in order, it would be: GK&tP's, Four Tops next then the Jackson 5.

In my opinion, all three were better suited to Motown style-wise. Now if there were other factors that led to them leaving, that might be a different story, but for my personal tastes, all three gave us great stuff and fit in beautifully at Motown. If I had to pick one that I thought was MOST suited to Motown and perhaps should have never left, it would be the Tops.

In order: the J5, the Pips, the Four Tops.

What about the SPINNERS?????????????

Good question; I say The Jackson 5, Gladys Knight & The Pips & Four Tops in that order [and as woodward pointed out, you forgot about The Spinners].

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good question; I say The Jackson 5, Gladys Knight & The Pips & Four Tops in that order [and as woodward pointed out, you forgot about The Spinners].
    The J5 did the best leaving Motown, particularly Michael. I doubt he would have made it to that level of success had he stayed with Motown

Don't forget about the Isley Brothers who became massive on T-Neck!

Jim Webb did ok

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Don't forget about the Isley Brothers who became massive on T-Neck!
    Good call; I always forget that the Isley Brothers were on Motown, I'm so focused on the T-Neck era.

The J5 didn’t have great success after Motown - but Michael clearly dwarfed everyone in terms of success.

I think the answer is the Isley Brothers, the Spinners and Gladys in that Order and then the Tops and J5.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Good call; I always forget that the Isley Brothers were on Motown, I'm so focused on the T-Neck era.
    Well the Isleys, like the Pips, came to Motown as established stars, so they were not Motown inventions. The Isleys only spent a contentious few years at Motown but they had their greatest successes out on their own after leaving the label. Still there were lots of lawsuits, Motown saying It's Your Thing was written while under contract to them, the Isleys saying songs like Reach Out I'll Be There and I Hear A Symphony were intended for them. It was nasty. I don't recall an Isley participating in a Motown reunion of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Well the Isleys, like the Pips, came to Motown as established stars, so they were not Motown inventions. The Isleys only spent a contentious few years at Motown but they had their greatest successes out on their own after leaving the label. Still there were lots of lawsuits, Motown saying It's Your Thing was written while under contract to them, the Isleys saying songs like Reach Out I'll Be There and I Hear A Symphony were intended for them. It was nasty. I don't recall an Isley participating in a Motown reunion of any kind.
    On DFTMC It's Your Thing is listed under Jobete Publishing. So it looks like Motown won that lawsuit. The Isley Brothers music during their time at Motown is highly underrated.

My choices would be The Spinners, GK&TP, The Isleys and then the Jacksons. There is NO comparison to the Spinners career at Motown vs the Atlantic records years.

My vote would go to The Spinners - their Philly recordings were amazing - well eclipsing anything they achieved at Motown but "I'll Always Love You" will always be my favourite track of theirs. Also prefer The Jacksons philly output too to most of their Motown stuff.

Gladys Knight & The Pips fared much better away from Motown and they were given more hit material to work with. The Isley's really came into their own after Motown.

I'd suggest the Tops did have some great records post Motown but overall were about equal in popularity with and post Motown. "When She Was My Girl", "Loco in Acapulco" were great tracks.

Obviously we're talking groups here - but someone mentioned Michael Jackson who became a solo superstar and, dare I mention Meat Loaf?

Ashford and Simpson????????

Kiki Dee ?

Me....for real....after the L.A. move

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Me....for real....after the L.A. move
    MIKE DROP! Our Ralph takes it. Best always, Mr. Ralph. Hope you are well.

Thank you, P&H. L.A. just wasn't the same as Detroit, and I knew it wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Thank you, P&H. L.A. just wasn't the same as Detroit, and I knew it wasn't for me.
    But the real question is "did your singing improve"?

Definitely The Spinners made the best career move... Gladys Knight did have some success post Motown and helped maintain her brand through the years, while The Jacksons had mixed results, although Michaels career skyrocketed... Biggest losers in leaving Motown [[despite the uncertainty of what would have happened to them had they stayed)... The Tempts and The Tops... Both somewhat unfortunately lost industry status and lost the big gigs Motown provided them with...

Most definitely in my mind, Al.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Definitely The Spinners made the best career move... Gladys Knight did have some success post Motown and helped maintain her brand through the years, while The Jacksons had mixed results, although Michaels career skyrocketed... Biggest losers in leaving Motown [[despite the uncertainty of what would have happened to them had they stayed)... The Tempts and The Tops... Both somewhat unfortunately lost industry status and lost the big gigs Motown provided them with...
    I'm not in agreeance, Mr. Stu. The Tops' chart success had been dwindling on Motown and there was a resurgence after the move to Casablanca.

Here's another act that made a good career move by leaving Motown; Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. They had signed to the company in 1971, however, their records flopped on the charts during that time [except for "The Night" which hit the UK top ten in 1975 due to it's popularity on England's Northern Soul circuit]. The group enjoyed a brief return to the charts with The Seasons' "Who Loves You" & "December 1963 [Oh What A Night]" as well as Valli's "My Eyes Adored You", "Swearing To God" & "Grease" after leaving Motown.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-12-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Agree

They had quite a successful career after Motown, starting with Keeper of The Castle album featuring two top 10 hits, another top 15 hit with Are You Man Enough and quite a few top 40 singles. Plus their post gigantic hit song When She Was My Girl in the early 80's off the fabulous Tonight Album. Don't forget the late 80's great album Indestructible . And of course the Levi masterpiece I Believe In You And Me. They had a nice post Motown career, certainly the longest , I count at least 10 top 40 songs all the way from 73- 89.Not sure if any one top that.
    And for good measure Levi as the amazing Audrey 2, still love It's Suppertime.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Here's another act that made a good career move by leaving Motown; Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons. They had signed to the company in 1971, however, their records flopped on the charts during that time [except for "The Night" which hit the UK top ten in 1975 due to it's popularity on England's Northern Soul circuit]. The group enjoyed a brief return to the charts with The Seasons' "Who Loves You" & "December 1963 [Oh What A Night]" as well as Valli's "My Eyes Adored You", "Swearing To God" & "Grease" after leaving Motown.
    The Four Seasons did have one hidden number one record that was recorded at and for Motown "My Eyes Adored You" was originally recorded by The Four Seasons for Motown, but the label never released it, so Frankie Valli bought the record or master from Motown and marketed it to other labels who also rejected it But he had success when he brought it to Private Stock, but the owner of the label only wanted Frankie Valli's name on the label It became a number one record

So much for Motown quality control

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    The Four Seasons did have one hidden number one record that was recorded at and for Motown "My Eyes Adored You" was originally recorded by The Four Seasons for Motown, but the label never released it, so Frankie Valli bought the record or master from Motown and marketed it to other labels who also rejected it But he had success when he brought it to Private Stock, but the owner of the label only wanted Frankie Valli's name on the label It became a number one record

Yeah, I've heard that story about "My Eyes Adored You" and it was a big mistake for Motown to shelve that song since it became a major hit after Valli & Co. left the company. Talk about a 'good career move' by leaving Motown [and buying the master of "My Eyes Adored You"]!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

I stand ashamed as a Jersey boy myself who did not know that about MEAY. That single was such an unexpected and immediately beloved chart-comeback for the group. I had tickets for a 4S concert at the Community College of Morris gym just as the single was breaking; the show sold out and just weeks later the group was back to performing in larger and more prestigious venues again. A perfect song at the perfect time for the perfect singer and a perfect arrangement and production!