[REMOVE ADS]

Right On - would you change it?

Right On is an excellent album as released. BUT... we've now received a lot of vaulted tracks that could have been included. Including some strong Mary leads. and some that ended up on NW but could have worked on the earlier album

so here's a list of what could have been used

Life Beats
    The Day Will Come Between Sunday and Monday
    Steppin' On A Dream
    Na na hey hey
    Loneliness is a lonely feeling
    you gotta pay the price
    Mind body and soul
    Cant' you hear me knocking
    send him to me
    if you let me
    son of a preacher man
    witcha tai to

I would have added That’s How Much

I like THE DAY WILL COME... but I can't think of a track I would get rid of to include it. I think RIGHT ON is great the way it is, probably my favorite album of theirs from the 70s.

i was thinking one of the mary leads should go on it. my fav is If You Let Me. and Steppin on a dream is really a strong song too. apparently Baby Baby was a later addition. i love it but it's such a stronger rock feel to it, i think it could have been held and used on New Ways - there's so much more rock feeling on that album.

what about this lineup

Ladder
    Then we can try it again
    if you let me
    wait a minute
    you move me
    but i love you more

i got hurt
    stepping on a dream
    loneliness is lonely feeling
    then i met you
    bill
    loving country

Love the original album but , I Got Hurt was ok for me so Life Beats get my first vote in.
    There are a few more out takes from Right On.... Wish I could remember,,.. not a big fan of Bill When Are U Coming Back but in 1970, I get why it was chosen,.
    i think Thats How Much I Love You is the other song i thinking of but havent heard it in years
    Last edited by daviddh; 01-23-2022 at 09:30 PM.

It's interesting that in the latter part of 1969, Mary got several leads in concert [[and on television). I definitely would have included at least one Mary-lead song on RIGHT ON, to keep the momentum going. It's true this was the first LP to feature Jean, so it makes sense that she would carry the bulk, but you'd think for familiarity something from Mary would have been included.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It's interesting that in the latter part of 1969, Mary got several leads in concert [[and on television). I definitely would have included at least one Mary-lead song on RIGHT ON, to keep the momentum going. It's true this was the first LP to feature Jean, so it makes sense that she would carry the bulk, but you'd think for familiarity something from Mary would have been included.
    i agree. i think a mary lead and then redo Everybody's Got the Right to give M and C solo lines like they had on the live version. That would have made RO just a stunning group record. You had the girls really interacting and interchanging, while still firmly establishing Jean as the lead

"Life Beats" should have been on it and the second single released from it. I would also add "Chained to Yesterday".

Chained to Yesterday is a good track
    have to pull this out and have a listen

Right On is near perfect in its track list. Then I Met you is my least favorite and even that's a pleasant one. But if I had to get rid of one for Life Beats, then it would be Then I Met you.

Chained to Yesterday has one of most terrible lyrics on a Supremes song when Jean sings about considering suicide. I can see what that was vaulted.

i like Life Beats but it pales compared to Ladder. LB is an interesting song but doesn't strike me as a single. and after they re-established themselves with new sound of Ladder, i don't think it would have ever worked as a follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Chained to Yesterday has one of most terrible lyrics on a Supremes song when Jean sings about considering suicide. I can see what that was vaulted.
    That's true of a couple of the Promises Kept tracks. "I''m Not that Easy to Lose" is a little psycho masochistic. "My Poor Baby" is about a woman in love with a loser. "And I Thought you Loved Me" is delusional.

"Chained to Yesterday" could have been salvaged with a simple lyric change. It's a good song.