[REMOVE ADS]

I’ll Be There: My Life with the Four Tops by Duke Fakir

For so many years we have had to wait for an autobiography or biography on my all time favourite group, and I think The UK's THE FOUR TOPS!

Name:  dukefakirillbetherebook_1.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  42.1 KB

The Group visted Liverpool so many times, my first every concert aged 15, never did I think then I would get to meet and intetview them many times. Spoke several times to LEVI about a autobiography, he was always so interested! and we discussed it, but we never did get it!

Now at lasr Duke Fakir is delivering us the story we have waited for. 'I’ll Be There: My Life with the Four Tops' with Kathleen McGhee-Anderson, release date here in the UK is set for 5th May. The friendly bookshop I deal with so often contacted me today, they have been promised a few signed copies, I didn't like to pay so far in advance, but how could I risk missing out! I just can't wait.

Never forget one interview, and something many listeners had said to me and I agreed, we wished live that The Guy's did not speed up so many classics! Well one member of the group let me know strong he did not agree, remembered never ask that one again! LOL!

Which one is Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Which one is Duke?
    He's the one on the upper left.

I will need to get this one!

Now this should be an interesting read. I will definitely be supporting this book.

I need a copy too!!

Like others already said; I Want This Book! Abdul "Duke" Fakir has been talking about doing a Four Tops Book for Years and it looks like it's finally here. Thanks jaybs for the news.

And here's a pre-order link for I'll Be There from Amazon USA. Release date is 5/5/2022.

I'll Be There: My Life with the Four Tops: Fakir, Duke: 9781913172596: Amazon.com: Books

Yes, definitely one to look forward to -

Glad it’s not titled “seven rooms of gloom
    My life with the four tops” Hee hee
    But of course if wouldn’t be .

Hope he cuts loose. A definite read !!

Anyone in The UK, wanting a signed copy, the Publishers still have some copies!

https://omnibuspress.com/collections...n-5th-may-2022

Just pre-ordered with Amazon.co.uk

All I wanna know is: Did Levi even consider the notion of a solo career?

No...turned it down many times

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The story of the Four Tops, the famous Motown harmony group, began at a high school graduation party in Detroit, when four young men were hoping to impress the girls with an impromptu performance.

That night in 1954, when Abdul “Duke” Fakir, Levi Stubbs, Renaldo “Obie” Benton and Lawrence Payton sung together for the first time, was the start of a lifelong brotherhood. Now that musical history will be laid out in a memoir called “I’ll Be There: My Life With The Four Tops” coming out on May 5 by Fakir, the last surviving member of the Four Tops.

“We came together in such beautiful harmony that we’d never rehearsed,” said Fakir. “The voices were a perfect blend from first tenor to the second tenor to baritone bass. And we had one of the greatest lead singers in Detroit and it just happened just like that.”

Over their career, the Four Tops grew from a vocal quartet [[originally called the Four Aims) scraping by gig-to-gig, traveling the country, to the top of the charts, with hits like “I Can’t Help Myself,” “Baby I Need Your Loving,” and “Reach Out, I’ll Be There.” Their harmonies helped define the Motown sound of R&B and soul, but the Four Tops went beyond genre, often throwing in jazz and American standards in their shows.

They would be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and earn a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy.
The quartet remained together for four decades. Payton died in 1997, followed by Benson in 2005 and Stubbs, who was the lead singer, in 2008.

For Fakir, he wanted the book to memorialize not just his life, but also the bond that the four men created. He also is working on a musical based on the Four Tops as well. The memoir was co-written with Kathleen McGhee-Anderson……..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...3f6_story.html

I’m looking forward to reading this. Hope it’s a good one.

I hope that it's a good read, I think that if Duke had Levi's family involved in the writing of this book it would be a bit more interesting, but let's hope it sells well for him.

I'm a bit confused.

The link above for OmniPress says the book is 224 pages. But if you look at Barnes and Noble [[US) it says its 304 pages.

That's a HUGE difference in pages.

Also, the co-author on this is Kathleen McGee Anderson. She has a personal website that says she released a literary memoir with Duke called "The Last Top Standing".....in 2019.

I'm at work so I can't provide links, but if you Google, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here are the links in relation to my above post.

It may have to do with size of font and/ or size of page, as well as UK and US publishing.

I ordered a couple of Louise Penney mysteries from Amazon for Christmas. I ordered the US paperbacks but received the UK editions. The book is smaller in dimension and the font is different than my US copies from the same series. There are more pages in the UK edition than what is described for the US edition. I’ve been meaning to write a nasty review about this bait and switch! Now that I think of it I’ve been getting emails to write reviews for many of the items I bought in recent months but not for these books! Ha!
    Last edited by johnjeb; 03-02-2022 at 11:07 PM.

An interesting article on Duke, over her in the UK, in Music Republic Magazine.

https://musicrepublicmagazine.com/20...-man-standing/

Pre-ordered my signed copy, guessing by the picture on the website, the signature will be a blanc insert. Shipping was more than the book itself...while NL and UK are neighboring countries. Weird times we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Pre-ordered my signed copy, guessing by the picture on the website, the signature will be a blanc insert. Shipping was more than the book itself...while NL and UK are neighboring countries. Weird times we live in.
    I used to buy so many thinks from the USA, CD's, DVD's and Books, but now little with postage! A few signed books from the USA, bought in the UK have been signed in the book itself, not a plate, which I put down to it is not worth a UK print.

Signed in the snake pit
    Name:  A1CDB7C7-D4CB-4E68-BEB2-1B692D8011C1.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  11.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It seems so long since this much awaited book from Duke was announced, good news though, the Royal Mail has just been and delivered my signed copy, great clear signatire from Duke, with 4 Tops under his name signature. Can't wait to start reading it, think I may have to delay the current book I am currently on.

Coles Books here in the UK are superb, books always come double packed in strong cardboard, and then wrapped in paper, with a bookmark.

Signed in the snake pit
    Name:  A1CDB7C7-D4CB-4E68-BEB2-1B692D8011C1.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  11.5 KB
    Didn't ask me for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Didn't ask me for permission.
    Ghi....

Got my copy 2 days ago. Read it in one go. Not much dirt, every chapter a confirmation that they could sing, some profanity and overall a lovely, warm story by a seemingly sweet and caring guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The story of the Four Tops, the famous Motown harmony group, began at a high school graduation party in Detroit, when four young men were hoping to impress the girls with an impromptu performance.

That night in 1954, when Abdul “Duke” Fakir, Levi Stubbs, Renaldo “Obie” Benton and Lawrence Payton sung together for the first time, was the start of a lifelong brotherhood. Now that musical history will be laid out in a memoir called “I’ll Be There: My Life With The Four Tops” coming out on May 5 by Fakir, the last surviving member of the Four Tops.

“We came together in such beautiful harmony that we’d never rehearsed,” said Fakir. “The voices were a perfect blend from first tenor to the second tenor to baritone bass. And we had one of the greatest lead singers in Detroit and it just happened just like that.”

Over their career, the Four Tops grew from a vocal quartet [[originally called the Four Aims) scraping by gig-to-gig, traveling the country, to the top of the charts, with hits like “I Can’t Help Myself,” “Baby I Need Your Loving,” and “Reach Out, I’ll Be There.” Their harmonies helped define the Motown sound of R&B and soul, but the Four Tops went beyond genre, often throwing in jazz and American standards in their shows.

They would be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and earn a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy.
The quartet remained together for four decades. Payton died in 1997, followed by Benson in 2005 and Stubbs, who was the lead singer, in 2008.

For Fakir, he wanted the book to memorialize not just his life, but also the bond that the four men created. He also is working on a musical based on the Four Tops as well. The memoir was co-written with Kathleen McGhee-Anderson……..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...3f6_story.html
    Wonder if the musical hits, will Duke go ahead with a Temps-style tv miniseries or docudrama?

Ghi....

Got my copy 2 days ago. Read it in one go. Not much dirt, every chapter a confirmation that they could sing, some profanity and overall a lovely, warm story by a seemingly sweet and caring guy.
    Why was he using profanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Why was he using profanity?
    Don't know. Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but I really never liked the F word. There are a lot of F words and words starting with a S, describing a substance you normally flush down the toilet...hehe.

On the other side, it describes how rough the music industry sometimes can be.

I've seen some interviews with Duke and he's used some profanities, but in the context he used them in it always made me laugh! I look forward to meeting Duke next Friday for a book signing downtown Detroit.
    Darin

Cool Darin, if you can, thank him for sharing his story.

I enjoyed reading it.

Duke comes across as a real person, warm, loving, giving, spiritual and of course talented. In his book he is not shy to talk about his mistakes as well.

So, if any of you is in doubt, buy the book!

Just read the book,not sure what I was expecting but disappointing,nothing new,his life outside the Tops ‘same ol same ol’lots of unnecessary swearing.
    God only knows what the proposed show will be like!!!!!!!!more tribute acts.
    Duke sit back and enjoy.
    David London

Got to express some disappointment! was brought up to never swear, and never have, never needed to! Not many music books I have read that have even needed to go down this way.

Having been involved with many radio interviews with The Four Tops, it will always sadden me that Levi never got to tell his story, or see the release of the '911 Album' that is another story!

For someone who has absorbed a lifetime of world culture, I was a bit shocked and disappointed with all the profanity throughout the book. It's not very dignified. But anyway, he comes across as a decent person.
    Last edited by lakedistrictlad1; 05-07-2022 at 04:42 AM.