[REMOVE ADS]

Dreamboats & Petticoats presents... The Four Tops, The Temptations & The Supremes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreamboats-Petticoats-presents-Temptations-Supremes/dp/B09M31T9LB/ref=pd_vtp_5/257-6320500-7410217?pd_rd_w=lbeDE&pf_rd_p=f8be2100-4de3-46b4-9cb2-76b688b54cf4&pf_rd_r=14ASE2RFP46E2684NKM8&pd_rd_r= 1669066e-b9a9-4358-ad27-1745fbf92fdc&pd_rd_wg=pVGdo&pd_rd_i=B09M31T9LB&psc =1

...the CD compilers must be bored...!

Money for old rope

Although I admit the title is a little cringe-worthy, I don't mind compilations such as this and I say keep them coming as long as it keeps the CD era alive a little bit longer. This particular product would have great appeal to many people, perhaps younger folks who are just now beginning to appreciate Motown through Sirius XM and such, but have not yet bought very much material. For me the fun of sticking any compilation CD in your player is that you can listen and normally not know or remember what is coming up next. This set, especially the Tops CD, does seem to have an interesting assortment of tracks.

Not a bad set in my opinion. There are definitely more boring/same ol collections out there.

Gotta say I love the cover!

Sometimes these more recent Motown compilations can be interesting because occasionally a different mix or edit of a track pops up.

For instance, I have one Motown compilation where the version of "When You're Young And In Love" by The Marvelettes has the girls singing "Young and in love" over the piano figure during the intro.

Another Various Artists compilation features the full-length stereo mix of "War" by Edwin Starr as per the version that was folded into mono for the single's original UK release back in 1970. This version doesn't fade as Edwin and the backing singers all march off to war. Instead, they eventually stop marching, then the band starts playing again and we get to hear a nice chunk of Dennis Coffey's guitar playing before the final fade.

What I'd like is for the Four Tops CD to include the original stereo mix of "You Keep Running Away". This mix matches the single in terms of the decision to drop much of the horn playing and some of the lead vocals from the final release. The stereo mix that we normally get is the one that appeared on the US Greatest Hits Vol 2 album, and it's over-cluttered and over-busy to my ears - a bit like the stereo mix of "Who's Lovin' You" by the Jackson 5 to my ears.

And I notice that "Who's Lovin' You" appears on both the Temps and Supremes CDs. After knowing and loving the mono mix of the song that appeared on the B-side of the J5's "I Want You Back" for 50 years, however, I doubt that either of them will come up to scratch. [No prejudice there, eh? ]

I am trying to explore this entire series in more detail, since I can see that there have been other volumes released over the years. Is there a website that would list all the tracks for the various collections? Amazon stopped listing tracks quite some time ago.

Dreamboats And Petticoats Label | Releases | Discogs

Dreamboats And Miniskirts Label | Releases | Discogs

That's a starting point? They duplicate quite a lot, sort of rehashing previous titles under "Best of". Good value and use mostly original versions, certainly no re-recordings made in the 70s etc. These artist compilations that the thread refers to originally have only just started being released from what I can tell. There is a girlie compilation of Dusty/Sandie Shaw/ Lulu I'm thinking of checking out. Also one with the Walker Brothers. I've already got so many of the tracks though. Good value otherwise.

I remember I bought one of these for my nan! Like you say Danno great value and all the correct versions of songs

I like the Tempts/Tops/Supremes one cause its the sort of thing that I could buy my nan and still enjoy listening to heck I might just do that!!

Danno:

Thanks for that info. There are more than I thought! Guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow!

Avoid this one as it has recordings by the stage show cast. They sometimes sneak a couple like these on the end of the other cds as bonus tracks. Otherwise, you can't go far wrong.

Dreamboats And Petticoats:The Original Cast Recording From The Hit Musical [[2009, CD) - Discogs