[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I can't wait, I'm beside myself. I did listen to Son Of A Preacher Man. I thought it was great, the negativity I've been reading has been a bit depressing to be honest. I'm not letting it spoil my excitement of this set. I've waited a dang long time for this.
    I can certainly identify with your excitement, DJMoch. I was checking the tracking updates for my package multiple times a day!

Yes, you just have to do your best to ignore and brush off the negative comments on this forum. Some of those negative comments come from people who were never true Mary fans to begin with and were always critical of her on this forum. Some of the others are fans who have become very cranky and jaded in their old age and have a hard time finding anything to be positive about. You will notice that their posts almost always tend to gravitate toward negativity and criticism, and they sadly do not try to contribute anything else of value to this forum. However, there are a number of us who are still here that discuss the music and the things that we enjoy. I know you will love this set.

Great hearing and reading your comments, Carlo. I so appreciate you sharing them this way.

Did you find as I have that you heard facets of her voice you never really heard before? I don’t know if I’m just listening harder, but hearing her do so much material and hearing it all at one sitting, as opposed to just one track on an entire album, made me appreciate her voice that much more. I found her voice richer and more present than I have in the past where I just kind of thought of her as having a breathy alto. I think these mixes brought out the power of her voice instead of trying to sweeten it or soften it somehow. What is your opinion? And of course anyone else is welcome to share their thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    2 are Diana era and 2 are Jean era
    Many thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Great hearing and reading your comments, Carlo. I so appreciate you sharing them this way.

Did you find as I have that you heard facets of her voice you never really heard before?
    Thanks Kenneth

Funny you said that, because similar to your experience, I have also been noticing different facets/elements of her voice that I had not noticed before either. For instance, I remember listening to Send Him To Me this morning and noticed her lower vocals, just before the fade. She is singing lower than usual on some lines and hearing her sing in that lower register gave her voice a different soulful tone that I had never noticed before. As you said, I think that also has a lot to do with these new mixes. I'm glad you mentioned this!

I can't stop dwelling on the fact that she should have been here to enjoy this. How she would have basked - finally - in some well deserved glory.

While I'm waiting for my own set to arrive, I just wanted to ask about the 4 unreleased songs. Which eras were they recorded for -- Diana or Jean? I was planning to add them to their respective albums in my iTunes, and I'm hoping someone can shed light on that for me.

I can't wait, I'm beside myself. I did listen to Son Of A Preacher Man. I thought it was great, the negativity I've been reading has been a bit depressing to be honest. I'm not letting it spoil my excitement of this set. I've waited a dang long time for this.
    The 4 unreleased songs are all Diana era. The two live tracks were from the January 13, 1970 show. "Son Of A Preacher Man" could be considered Jean era as the annotations say some work was done in 1970, but the track and vocals were done in 1969 and it could have been included on Cream of the Crop. "Witchi Tai To" doesn't have all the complete track annotations but it was cut in early 1969 and Deke Richards did state on this board years ago he recorded it when they were still Diana Ross & the Supremes so it should be considered a DRATS era song.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-08-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, this new mix of Automatically Sunshine is fantastic too! It comes across as still soulful, but softer than the original mixes, which are good, but those mixes are more loud and thumping. I think this new mix works well for Jean and Mary's soft vocals.

Same goes for "I Keep It Hid", which I had commented on earlier. The turned down background vocals allow us to focus more on Mary's vocal and the lush instrumentation, especially the strings.

It just goes to prove how important mixing is. Not trying to put down the originally released versions, as I love those too, but changing even just a few things really does give a totally different effect and brings out other elements in these recordings that have always been there. Love that!
    i'm still having a great time with this new AS. it's always been a favorite song of mine and i've really enjoyed the alt versions that have popped up over the years. One of the sets prior [[either 70s Anthol or Pink Box) had the version of AS with the little extra instrumental break. was thrilled to get it at the time and have often included that one in play lists. but the instrumental break did seem a bit superfluous and while i liked, i could agree with the decision to cut it

according to George's comment on here, this AS version is the full, completely unedited version. the instrumental break is much bigger and much more substantial. and it works great! it's not so much of a oddity now. love it!

If i could go back in time, i would have used this longer version on the lp. then using this mix, done the 45 version off of it. obviously trimming the instrumental breaks, maybe still cutting verse 2 from the single version. that way the album version and single version really are different and would have added more weight to the album. given people more reason to buy it

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The 4 unreleased songs are all Diana era. The two live tracks were from the January 13, 1970 show. "Son Of A Preacher Man" could be considered Jean era as the annotations say some work was done in 1970, but the track and vocals were done in 1969 and it could have been included on Cream of the Crop. "Witchi Tai To" doesn't have all the complete track annotations but it was cut in early 1969 and Deke Richards did state on this board years ago he recorded it when they were still Diana Ross & the Supremes so it should be considered a DRATS era song.
    i've been trying to hear if i can pick up Jean in the backgrounds, like on If You Let Me. sometimes i think i can hear her, sometimes not lol. all 4 leads i think are strong enough to have been included. obviously WTT wasn't gonna make it. but it is a very interesting and fun track

all 3 could have easily fit onto Cream of the Crop. If You Let Me also fits pretty well IMO on Right On. Send Him To Me might have also worked on RO - not 100% sure. i don't think Preacher works especially well - too much of a slower groove. sort of breaks the rhythm of the album too much.

and i don't think any of these would really fit on NW or Touch.

as well as that b&w shot from her solo album photo shoot, which Sophisticated_Soul kindly shared in this thread. I wish a colourized version of that photo could have been on the original album cover of her solo LP.
    Thanks Carlo, totally agree with you, I took one look at that beautiful photo, and I said to myself 'They had this photo and didn't choose it for the cover!' The cover photo is okay but this photo shows a confident and sultry Mary. Just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I can't stop dwelling on the fact that she should have been here to enjoy this. How she would have basked - finally - in some well deserved glory.
    I agree that Mary would have loved to have been here, but rest assured she experienced much glory. She understood it and felt it very much. I knew Mary over 40 years and she had a high, though not egotistical, opinion of herself and acknowledgment of who and what she was. Marry knew she was fabulous and knew that she was beautiful. The glory of experiencing this release would of course been the icing on the cake, but I believe one of the reasons why Mary was so well loved by her friends it’s because She knew how to be humble and fabulous at the same time and, I believe, I was completely realistic ofher place in the world. Somewhere right now she has a freshly opened bottle of Dom Perignon and is loving this release!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've been trying to hear if i can pick up Jean in the backgrounds, like on If You Let Me. sometimes i think i can hear her, sometimes not lol. all 4 leads i think are strong enough to have been included. obviously WTT wasn't gonna make it. but it is a very interesting and fun track

all 3 could have easily fit onto Cream of the Crop. If You Let Me also fits pretty well IMO on Right On. Send Him To Me might have also worked on RO - not 100% sure. i don't think Preacher works especially well - too much of a slower groove. sort of breaks the rhythm of the album too much.

and i don't think any of these would really fit on NW or Touch.
    My mistake. I wasn't including "If You Let Me Baby" and "Send Him To Me" into the four unreleased songs. Blackguy69 was right.

Witchi Tai To - DRATS era
    Son Of A Preacher Man - DRATS / Jean era
    If You Let Me Baby - Jean era
    Send Him To Me - Jean era

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I agree that Mary would have loved to have been here, but rest assured she experienced much glory. She understood it and felt it very much. I knew Mary over 40 years and she had a high, though not egotistical, opinion of herself and acknowledgment of who and what she was. Marry knew she was fabulous and knew that she was beautiful. The glory of experiencing this release would of course been the icing on the cake, but I believe one of the reasons why Mary was so well loved by her friends it’s because She knew how to be humble and fabulous at the same time and, I believe, I was completely realistic ofher place in the world. Somewhere right now she has a freshly opened bottle of Dom Perignon and is loving this release!
    I'd love to think so...thanks. I'm sure you know that I try not to dwell on the downside of things but it's hard not to imagine how she would have celebrated this release. I'm glad to know she understood how much she meant to us fans.

After a long long wait, I finally received my set today - I completely forgot that I did indeed order from Real Gone's website when it first became available. And oh my god, was it ever worth the wait. Absolutely amazing. Exceeded my expectations by a long shot. What a glorious musical tribute to a wonderful lady.

The new mixes are breathtaking! I got stuck in a loop listening to Touch, Floy Joy, and Automatically Sunshine over and over and over again - they are probably my top 70's Supremes songs, and these new mixes are simply incredible and I simply couldn't get enough. Especially Automatically Sunshine. I had no idea it contained an additional verse. It brings a feeling of completeness to me. Same with Floy Joy. I always found it irritating how there were so many small edits i.e., those repeating instrumental bits between the verses and choruses. I mean, they literally cut off Jean's vocal mid-word in both the single and LP versions. Having the song uncut is a revelation to me. My only qualm is I was never a fan of that saxophone in Floy Joy, I always found it very reedy and grating. Despite that, it's a wonderful musical treat.

I only wish Mary would have been alive to see everyone's reactions to this amazing set. Thank you so much to everyone who made this set possible. And of course, thank you Mary for your immense talent. May your star shine brightly for the rest of time. God bless you.

After a long long wait, I finally received my set today - I completely forgot that I did indeed order from Real Gone's website when it first became available. And oh my god, was it ever worth the wait. Absolutely amazing. Exceeded my expectations by a long shot. What a glorious musical tribute to a wonderful lady.

The new mixes are breathtaking! I got stuck in a loop listening to Touch, Floy Joy, and Automatically Sunshine over and over and over again - they are probably my top 70's Supremes songs, and these new mixes are simply incredible and I simply couldn't get enough. Especially Automatically Sunshine. I had no idea it contained an additional verse. It brings a feeling of completeness to me. Same with Floy Joy. I always found it irritating how there were so many small edits i.e., those repeating instrumental bits between the verses and choruses. I mean, they literally cut off Jean's vocal mid-word in both the single and LP versions. Having the song uncut is a revelation to me. My only qualm is I was never a fan of that saxophone in Floy Joy, I always found it very reedy and grating. Despite that, it's a wonderful musical treat.

I only wish Mary would have been alive to see everyone's reactions to this amazing set. Thank you so much to everyone who made this set possible. And of course, thank you Mary for your immense talent. May your star shine brightly for the rest of time. God bless you.
    Your sincere exuberance emanates! Experiences like this come way too un-often. [Can you even put a price on this rare experience you're having, fifty years in the waiting?] Savor and treasure your good fortune, as well you are!

*bumping up this thread for today's retail release*

*bumping up this thread for today's retail release*
    Good idea, Carlo. I can't wait to hear people's reactions to it. I was stunned at how wonderful it was.

Immediately SOLD OUT at Dusty Groove. Not sure how many copies they get, but they usually restock. Does anyone know how it's doing over at Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Immediately SOLD OUT at Dusty Groove. Not sure how many copies they get, but they usually restock. Does anyone know how it's doing over at Amazon?
    Nice! Here are the current chart stats over at Amazon US...

Name:  Screenshot_20220304-130715_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  62.4 KB

Nice! Here are the current chart stats over at Amazon US...

Name:  Screenshot_20220304-130715_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  62.4 KB
    Wow! #49 in CDs and Vinyl and #4 in R&B? That's far more than just a bunch of forum fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Wow! #49 in CDs and Vinyl and #4 in R&B? That's far more than just a bunch of forum fanatics.
    It's climbing up the ladder to the roof! See the latest Amazon US chart positions below. It's also currently at #78 in the Top 100 CDs and Vinyl on the Amazon UK charts.

Name:  Screenshot_20220304-172232_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  75.1 KB

It's climbing up the ladder to the roof! See the latest Amazon US chart positions below. It's also currently at #78 in the Top 100 CDs and Vinyl on the Amazon UK charts.

Name:  Screenshot_20220304-172232_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  75.1 KB
    This is so wonderful. Can you imagine how tickled Mary would be?

I got my copy today. Can’t wait to play it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Somewhere right now she has a freshly opened bottle of Dom Perignon and is loving this release!
    No, she preferred Cristal. That was her beverage of choice.

This is so wonderful. Can you imagine how tickled Mary would be?
    Yes, it is great to see. She would be loving this news. It's moved up from #26 to #24. Still at #2 for R&B albums [[CD and vinyl).

My copy arrived this afternoon. Just finished listening to it. Congrats to the team for another job well done. This set was truly befitting Mary. It showcases her evolution as a vocalist and puts her natural gift on front and center display. The rememberances of Mary in the booklet were absolutely beautiful and further testimony of her impact as a human being. The photo of her in the yellow mesh and hood is officially one of my favorite photos of Mary. Stunningly beautiful woman. I'm super tired right now, so I'll try to make this quick and just touch on a few thoughts regarding the tracks:

-So glad to have "Send Him To Me" and "If You Let Me Baby", but super pissed that they remained vaulted so long. "Send" would've made a great album track, either as a solo or with backing vocals, possibly for New Ways. Would've much rather had it than "Come Together". "If You Let Me Baby" was worthy of single release IMO. It was definitely a new direction for the group and I think it could have made some noise.

-While I love the musical track to "Wichi-Tai-Toe", the song itself is a little out there for my taste.

-Both outtakes of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and "Falling In Love", IMO, are far superior to what made the Farewell album. For the life of me I can't figure out what Deke heard that made him scrap either of these for the versions that actually made the album.

-"Touch", "Floy Joy", "Automatically Sunshine"...they have been given new life. While "Automatically" has never fallen out of favor with me, the other two have, to various degrees. I'll be playing both "Touch" and "Floy" quite a bit again. Especially "Touch". Wow.

-This version of "Teardrops" just solidifies my opinion that it should have been a single. I really believe it had the potential to put the Supremes back into the top 10 across the board.

I'm so glad to have this set. And so glad to see that it's selling well. Hopefully it'll cause Universal to get behind further projects regarding the Supremes. The guys really did Mary proud with this one. It's so bittersweet knowing that she isn't around to bask in what would have surely danced her heart around the stars.

As usual I do have a bit of criticism. [[I know, I know, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't hit the positives and the negs too.) Reading through the words of love from Mary's friends and peers in the business, it sucked that there was that glaringly obvious missing testimonial from a certain someone who was once so close to Mary.

Yes, I'm referring to Tony "Tall Tales" Turner, in case you were wondering.

I just spent a notable amount of time writing a considered and thoughtful review of the songs on this Anthology. Pressed post, and the whole thing ended up in oblivion..
    What a f——-g waste of time, not to mention heartbreaking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As usual I do have a bit of criticism. [[I know, I know, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't hit the positives and the negs too.) Reading through the words of love from Mary's friends and peers in the business, it sucked that there was that glaringly obvious missing testimonial from a certain someone who was once so close to Mary.

Yes, I'm referring to Tony "Tall Tales" Turner, in case you were wondering.
    I've discreetly said the same thing when I posted my thoughts on the set but didn't want to take away from everything else. I will say that certain someone has been knocked down a couple notches for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I just spent a notable amount of time writing a considered and thoughtful review of the songs on this Anthology. Pressed post, and the whole thing ended up in oblivion..
    Hahahaha aww Ollie what counts is you know what you wrote

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Hahahaha aww Ollie what counts is you know what you wrote
    That really cheers me up floy lol. Is there anything more infuriating. I’m sure i can’t be the only one it’s happened to. Will probably try again another day.

Been there, done that. And it never happens when I've just written a sentence or two. It's always when I've done one of my long dissertations about whatever Supreme subject we're discussing. Sometimes before I hit "post", I'll copy what I've written just in case. Trust me, I know your pain all too well.

I've discreetly said the same thing when I posted my thoughts on the set but didn't want to take away from everything else. I will say that certain someone has been knocked down a couple notches for me.
    I'm not sure Tall Tales Turner rates highly with anyone these days.

Btw, shouldn't you be changing your name to floydjoy678 now?

I am not good at writing reviews. But all I got to say is I love this Anthology of Mary Wilson. I didn’t expect it to be so good. Thank you so much George and Andy. It’s so good. I love the alternate or remixed versions of the High Energy sessions. They sound so new and fresh. They truly should have been big hits. It’s so sad Mary couldn’t have shared and enjoyed this release with us. RIP beautiful Mary Wilson.

Good catch, Ran!
    Its amazing to so clearly hear them singing "Floyd Joy" on this release.

Good catch, Ran!
    Its amazing to so clearly hear them singing "Floyd Joy" on this release.
    I just went back and listen to the lyric and to my ears I hear Floyd, Floyd, Floyd, Floy Joy. So the 1st 3 Floyds and then it's Floy Joy. I could be wrong but that's what I'm hearing

I'm not sure Tall Tales Turner rates highly with anyone these days.

No way! It was, is, and always will be...floyjoy678! Who do you think I am? Diane Ross?

Brief review...Great packaging and remaster. I never considered sweet and fluffy songs such as “Floy” and “ Automatically Sunshine” Marys vibe, but nice to hear extended versions. Great to here more of Mary on “Touch”, which really should have been a solo.
    Love her letting rip on “I Keep It Hid” while the extended Closer Together” is beautiful.
    “Your What’s missing” was good enough to be a Mary solo, but don’t like the additional backing vocals featured on “I Don’t Want To Loose You”. For me they weigh the song down as well as sounding a ‘tad old hat.
    The only commercial song from the solo album is for me is [[ I Love A) Warm Summer Night. Much prefer the laidback arrangement of “Any Time At All” To The the rather dull “Red Hot” featured on the album.. Kupper certainly brings the song to life.
    Overall a great package, hearing something new every time i play it.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I just went back and listen to the lyric and to my ears I hear Floyd, Floyd, Floyd, Floy Joy. So the 1st 3 Floyds and then it's Floy Joy. I could be wrong but that's what I'm hearing
    Listen really closely. It's all Floyds. So strange that I never heard the D before. To be honest, I really don't like it. Would've much rather the name be Floy than Floyd.

No way! It was, is, and always will be...floyjoy678! Who do you think I am? Diane Ross?
    Either that or Stevland Morris.

How would we know that you're NOT??????

I find that I don't lose long posts if I frequently refresh my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I find that I don't lose long posts if I frequently refresh my screen.
    Many thanks for the tip. It was a rather soul destroying experience lol.

Oliie ,
    do you know about the auto save feature?
    also when you log in at the top of the page
    check the box remember me . It’ll keep you active, mostly works .

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Oliie ,
    do you know about the auto save feature?
    also when you log in at the top of the page
    check the box remember me . It’ll keep you active, mostly works .
    Many thanks Boog. I will check this out.

I like Mary on the Clodagh Rodgers song "Save Me" - it's much nicer than the original. Love "Our Day Will Come".

A couple of days before her death in February 2021, Mary Wilson uploaded a video to her YouTube channel. Poignantly, it was full of forthcoming plans: the 60th anniversary of the Supremes’ debut single the following month; interviews she’d given for Black History Month, discussing the problems the group had faced touring the south of America in the 1960s; videos she was planning to upload, including a tribute to Florence Ballard, the former Supreme who had died 45 years previously, aged 32, after a struggle with alcoholism that had seen her fired from the group in 1967.
    Her voice catches slightly when she mentions Ballard’s name: Wilson never gave up on her, even when Ballard appeared to have given up on herself. “She was always trying to help her,” says Wilson’s friend, actor Beverly Todd. “Mary loved Florence and she understood why Florence was in so much pain” – Wilson believed her alcoholism had less to do with the pressures of fame than the fact that Ballard had been raped at knifepoint in 1960 – “and she would invite her to become part of what she was doing. The last time, she was trying to get Florence back involved with the Supremes, but Florence told her, ‘Mary, why do you keep trying to help? Stop trying to help me.’”
    That aside, the tone of the video is one of huge excitement. Wilson seems particularly thrilled that a collection of her solo work is about to be released, including her eponymous 1979 album, an extremely classy disco collection that had the misfortune to be released weeks after the Chicago Disco Demolitionriot turned America’s radio and record labels against the sound it embodied; tracks she recorded for a follow-up with celebrated producer Gus Dudgeon that went unreleased when Motown dropped her from her contract; and some new recordings, including a song called Why Can’t We All Get Along?that ruminated on the strained relationship between the Supremes’ members. According to her daughter, Turkessa Babich, Wilson had been planning the collection for “about 20 years”: it’s now been released posthumously, as The Motown Anthology, augmented with Supremes tracks featuring Wilson’s lead vocals……

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...e_iOSApp_Other

I couldn't work out why the unreleased track "Send Him To Me" sounded so familiar until I realised that the Debbie Dean version had already appeared on the "Motown Unreleased 1968" download and also on the "Good Good Feeling! More Motown Girls" CD.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I couldn't work out why the unreleased track "Send Him To Me" sounded so familiar until I realised that the Debbie Dean version had already appeared on the "Motown Unreleased 1968" download and also on the "Good Good Feeling! More Motown Girls" CD.
    ...but on reflection it is more likely that I subconsciously remembered the Four Tops' version that had appeared on Motown Unreleased under the title "Send Her To Me".

Thanks for mentioning the Four Tops' version, 144man. I don't think I had heard it before today. I think I prefer Mary's version, but their version is solid too.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of discussion in this thread, considering the number of fellow members who participated in lengthy discussions concerning the delays of this release and the best place to purchase this release from. I shared my thoughts in a number of posts that I had made earlier on, in this thread, but I know we have other Mary fans on this forum. Where y'all at? Hope you're enjoying the anthology?

Thanks for mentioning the Four Tops' version, 144man. I don't think I had heard it before today. I think I prefer Mary's version, but their version is solid too.

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of discussion in this thread, considering the number of fellow members who participated in lengthy discussions concerning the delays of this release and the best place to purchase this release from. I shared my thoughts in a number of posts that I had made earlier on, in this thread, but I know we have other Mary fans on this forum. Where y'all at? Hope you're enjoying the anthology?
    I really enjoyed reading your lengthy review of the album Carlo. My in-depth review somehow got lost when i tried to post it, so ended up writing a much shorter one.
    Im still very much enjoying it.
    I was a little disappointed with folks brief opinions on Diana’s new album. It had been a fifteen year wait after all. Perhaps if a bead had been missing off her frock on the cover it might have inspired more lengthy discussion. I’m really not sure.