[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I think there's a good chance we'll get it. Check back in 2042. :-)
    Thats cruel.

The tracks from Floy Joy on Mary's Anthology are unedited and we added no additional breaks. That's how they were recorded. An expanded Floy Joy album would be great.
    thanks! wow! now i'm even more convinced that had these been done back in 72, they could have done even better. You guys really did an incredible job with these

the FJ album sold strongly and charted relatively well. if we could go back and change time, just a few things could have possible made all the difference in the world
    1. Cindy not having to leave group - this is when the Sups sort of became known as the "employment agency" or a "revolving door of singers"
    2. amping up the tracks on album with this broader mix of instruments and more compelling, longer-track album cuts
    3. ditching the MOR stuff and focusing on their material

the association with Smokey should have been something they played to the hilt. they should have coordinated their tv appearances to push the album and hype the Smokey connection. revamped the show to include less MOR and more of their album content. maybe add in a Smokey medley to further tie the two together

also the cover art for FJ is superb. Supreme in every way but it doesn't rehash the old tired sequin image. the girls are beautiful and fully coordinated but unique and modern outfits. fresh and reinvogorated

I'll have to enjoy what you unleashed on us w this unedited floy joy track I'm enjoying it better than I did 50 yrs after its release in Jan 72. Great work on this entire package. Isn't flo on the first 4 or 5 tracks singing backup. Her name is omitted on t wikipedia page of backing singers on this wonderful project

Who's doing backgrounds on Our Day Will Come? Sounds mostly like the Andantes but there's parts of the song where I hear Flo and other parts where I hear Diana.

The alternate tracks are one of the main reasons why I'm enjoying this anthology so much. One gets a sense of the artistry involved in laying down a vocal as well as varying the instrumentation and the mix. Good stuff.

Here's an ideal for George, Andy and Harry: A Diana Ross Motown hits anthology of all alternate takes of her biggest hits and more interesting album cuts and b sides? Or for that matter, a box set of all alternate cuts of Motown's most iconic recordings?

i never cared for Come and Get These Memories but i like this version. was this a new mix

dude , ill be dead in that year.lol
    these EE are getting me thru this pandemic.a well needed fix. im better now but George if i have to wait until 2042,....well i'll be 80. damn , hope not

Come and Get These memories is listed as an Alternate Mix.

The tracks from Floy Joy on Mary's Anthology are unedited and we added no additional breaks. That's how they were recorded. An expanded Floy Joy album would be great.
    Now someone needs to go back to the vaults and find the Supremes Floy Joy outtakes like the cover of "Don't Mess with Bill" wiht Cindy Birdsong on lead, "Here I Am Baby" with MW on lead [[with the Barbara McNair arrangement), and the cover of "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game" with CB, MW and JT trading off leads. Consider a new rumor started.

i say an expanded RO ,cd 1 and expanded Floy disc 2 combo

I find it very irritating that on Amazon, simply because it’s not available to Amazon customers yet, that you can’t even post a review of the album although it’s available elsewhere. As you all know, I always encourage us to leave reviews on Amazon because here we’re more or less preaching to the choir. We could be helping sell copies right now when interest in the album is at its peak.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I find it very irritating that on Amazon, simply because it’s not available to Amazon customers yet, that you can’t even post a review of the album although it’s available elsewhere. As you all know, I always encourage us to leave reviews on Amazon because here we’re more or less preaching to the choir. We could be helping sell copies right now when interest in the album is at its peak.
    Amazon is saying mine is gonna ship on 2/24 Kenneth. I cant wait.

Happy New year to you my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Amazon is saying mine is gonna ship on 2/24 Kenneth. I cant wait.

Happy New year to you my dear.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Hello Roberta!

I think that Amazon lowered the price since it was first offered, but mine was only $21.99 from Real Gone if you want to get it sooner than that.

Great to hear from you! You’ll love the set.

K

love side 1, my favorite tracks being , this far Automatically Sunshine, then Touch,
    i thought Jean and Mary both recorded entire leads for Touch and then the vocals were spliced together, so maybe there is a solo version of Touch.?
    but this version is probably the best version i've heard.great job Kevin Reeves.
    i personally would have preferred Sunset and or A Heart Like Mine over the early songs like The Tears , but i assume they wanted an over view of her career with motown.
    now back to listening .
    great job

It sends chills through me when she sings “I can’t say what’s on my mind” on I Keep It Hid!

Hello Roberta!

I think that Amazon lowered the price since it was first offered, but mine was only $21.99 from Real Gone if you want to get it sooner than that.

Great to hear from you! You’ll love the set.
    K
    Kenneth --- Real Gone's allotment is sold out. Universal only gave Real Gone so many copies to sell. Amazon is saying March 4 on my order.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Kenneth --- Real Gone's allotment is sold out. Universal only gave Real Gone so many copies to sell. Amazon is saying March 4 on my order.
    I can’t believe it. How could they have miscalculated the demand for the product when it was in pre-release status for so long? Even if they are out of stock at the moment, their website should indicate when it will be available again. This would seem to be simple marketing based on their supplier.

I can’t believe it. How could they have miscalculated the demand for the product when it was in pre-release status for so long? Even if they are out of stock at the moment, their website should indicate when it will be available again. This would seem to be simple marketing based on their supplier.
    I don't believe it was a miscalculation on their part, but rather Universal is going to be the main distributor for this release. Previous releases like Funny Girl, Blinky, Ultimate Merry Christmas, Real Gone handled it all - those were Real Gone releases. This appears to be different. This now looks like a Universal release. Maybe they allowed Real Gone to sell it first dibs and those pre-orders were fulfilled. It doesn't look like they're restocking for future sales at the moment - at least not until March 4th. I think there's more to what's going on than Real Gone miscalculating demand.

It would be interesting just how many copies Real Gone arranged to distribute.
    Maybe they should’ve said “this is an extremely limited pressing based on preorders , don’t miss out, get yours by ordering now.”
    are they now taking preorders for the next round ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    It would be interesting just how many copies Real Gone arranged to distribute.
    Maybe they should’ve said “this is an extremely limited pressing based on preorders , don’t miss out, get yours by ordering now.”
    are they now taking preorders for the next round ?
    At the moment, no, but you can pre-order it through Amazon and other retail outlets. You just won't get it until March 4th.

Thanks
    Any idea why real gone has stopped taking preorders ?Aren’t they now losing sales when you have to pre-order from other places and are able to ?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-31-2022 at 01:13 PM.

I think Mary's best version of Can't Take My Eyes is from the live in Japan

Thanks
    Any idea why real gone has stopped taking preorders ?Aren’t they now losing sales when you have to pre-order from other places and are able to ?
    This is what was told to me:

" Unfortunately, Real Gone was only allotted enough copies by Universal to fulfill its direct orders, as Universal has taken over release of the set.

Orders should be fulfilled at Amazon by Universal for a March 4 release there."

My Amazon order says it will be shipped March 4. From what I can see on the Real Gone site, it says "Sold Out." From the way this communication was worded, I do not think Real Gone will be getting more copies, but who knows?

" Unfortunately, Real Gone was only allotted enough copies by Universal to fulfill its direct orders, as Universal has taken over release of the set.

My Amazon order says it will be shipped March 4. From what I can see on the Real Gone site, it says "Sold Out." From the way this communication was worded, I do not think Real Gone will be getting more copies, but who knows?
    Thank you for this zani. The word “unfortunately” is telling and it’s apparent it’s out of Real Gones power to properly stock itself. It’s really sickening that the big boys won’t fully support all aspects of this business to the fullest, particularly the little guys who need it, why wouldn’t universal want Real Gone to sell every copy possible?
    that real gone got any type of exclusive distribution is a bright spot. Wonder how they pulled that off.
    Finally, where is Mary’s release during the entire month of February? Why the wait , we know the product is completely possible. no apologists please.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-01-2022 at 11:32 AM.

Thank you for this zani. The word “unfortunately” is telling and it’s apparent it’s out of Real Gones power to properly stock itself. It’s really sickening that the big boys won’t fully support all aspects of this business to the fullest, particularly the little guys who need it, why wouldn’t universal want Real Gone to sell every copy possible?
    that real gone got any type of exclusive distribution is a bright spot. Wonder how they pulled that off.
    Finally, where is Mary’s release during the entire month of February? Why the wait , we know the product is completely possible. no apologists please.
    careful.. the haters called me out when I started the thread

Let's not let the miserable mwmr derail this thread.

So back on topic: what are people's thoughts on the alternate version of You Are the Heart of Me on the Anthology? Better than the MSS version? Or does Mary's more restrained moans on the alternate version take something away from this version?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post

So back on topic: what are people's thoughts on the alternate version of You Are the Heart of Me on the Anthology? Better than the MSS version? Or does Mary's more restrained moans on the alternate version take something away from this version?
    I actually love this version of "You Are The Heart Of Me" better than the MSS version. It's so beautifully done and mixed. I hear instrumentation in this new mix that was buried in the original 1976 mix. And I actually prefer no moans. I always found them to be distracting, unnecessary, and took away from the beauty of the song. She's more restrained on them in this alternate vocal, but even so I would have completely muted all of it. As a kid, it was always embarrassing when it got to that part in the song and I had to turn it down.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-01-2022 at 11:39 PM.

Oh no, a spoiler of the spoilers thread !

almost across the board, i like these new releases to the original

with YATHOM, i think this is a better vocal take from mary. Paul on the DR Project website made a very interesting review of this song on the original lp - he felt that the lead and track was fine enough but compared to We Should Be Closer, it lacked the passion. I found that very interesting. If you simply read the lyrics, this is a VERY passionate song and I don't know that Mary conveyed that as stronger on the original YATHOM as she did capture the anguish of WSBCT. her lead on We Should is probably one of her very best - right up with Teardrops from HE. it's interesting that both are heartbreak songs as opposed to passion songs. she really does a wonderful job with both of conveying a broken heart.

I agree that the moans are annoying and a cheap ploy to mimic Donna Summer. completely unnecessary.

This new version of YATHOM does seem to capture the passion and ecstasy of the tune more than the original. and I agree, it's wonderful to hear more of the instrumentation pop out

priceless.. you don’t know me [[and for that blessing I’m grateful ).., I’m far from miserable … you know what you can do…

@Carlo,

I can’t wait to hear your impressions of the set once you finally get it.

Fondly [[as our dear Roberta always says),

Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    priceless.. you don’t know me [[and for that blessing I’m grateful ).., I’m far from miserable … you know what you can do…
    i have no idea who you are in person so i can't confirm or deny if you're miserable jk lol but i do want to say i appreciate your thoughts and posts on here. even if they don't necessarily reflect mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i have no idea who you are in person so i can't confirm or deny if you're miserable jk lol but i do want to say i appreciate your thoughts and posts on here. even if they don't necessarily reflect mine.
    thank you for this

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    thank you for this
    more than welcome. and i welcome Spreading's overall posts too. for the most part, it's been pleasant here on the boards. it's fine that we have different opinions and points of view

Seems like such an odd arrangement, especially considering the "donut hole" between the set's initial release by RG and then it being another month for Amazon to release their copies. But I know very little about the music business, so maybe it's not so unusual. It just seems this way that the release gets "watered down" in a way because of these hiccups in the release rollout.

Seems like such an odd arrangement, especially considering the "donut hole" between the set's initial release by RG and then it being another month for Amazon to release their copies. But I know very little about the music business, so maybe it's not so unusual. It just seems this way that the release gets "watered down" in a way because of these hiccups in the release rollout.
    I wonder why Universal would take distribution back over at this point? It would have to be either selling better than expected or Real Gone didn't do something it was supposed to. Or maybe they planned it this way and production delays upended the schedule?... everything is so convoluted these days.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I wonder why Universal would take distribution back over at this point? It would have to be either selling better than expected or Real Gone didn't do something it was supposed to. Or maybe they planned it this way and production delays upended the schedule?... everything is so convoluted these days.
    I don't think it's anything to do with one entity not doing something they were supposed to. I have a feeling that this was part of the arrangement / distribution deal they came up with to make this set.

So now the question is: will the Universal release be the same as the Real Gone release?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    So now the question is: will the Universal release be the same as the Real Gone release?
    Amazon UK show 38 tracks on the CD and Mp3 versions. I guess Universal might remove references to Real Gone from the artwork but it seems an unnecessary expense?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Amazon UK show 38 tracks on the CD and Mp3 versions. I guess Universal might remove references to Real Gone from the artwork but it seems an unnecessary expense?
    I got mine from Real Gone and don’t see their branding anywhere. Am I missing it?

I got mine from Real Gone and don’t see their branding anywhere. Am I missing it?
    That's interesting? I'm in UK so I've not seen it obviously. The Blinky release had Real Gone's logo on the back alongside Motown and Universal. If you check the link attached, it's on image two.
    So if there's no reference to Real Gone, maybe Universal offered them an initial batch with a view to distributing later pressings themselves?

Blinky – Heart Full Of Soul: The Motown Anthology [[2019, CD) - Discogs

That's interesting? I'm in UK so I've not seen it obviously. The Blinky release had Real Gone's logo on the back alongside Motown and Universal. If you check the link attached, it's on image two.
    So if there's no reference to Real Gone, maybe Universal offered them an initial batch with a view to distributing later pressings themselves?

Blinky – Heart Full Of Soul: The Motown Anthology [[2019, CD) - Discogs
    Found it. It's on the back with the Motown "M" and on the spine. How the hells we old people suppose to see that???

Found it. It's on the back with the Motown "M" and on the spine. How the hells we old people suppose to see that???
    I share your affliction mate

So how much bother would it be to remove it for later sales? Personally, I think the same product will start delivering in March.

I share your affliction mate

So how much bother would it be to remove it for later sales? Personally, I think the same product will start delivering in March.
    If the switch in distro was by prior arrangement, the ones without the logo are probably already printed! I have to guess this weirdness is also caused by expected low number of sales [[in addition to pandemic issues). I can’t imagine they projected much for this set. As much as I love Mary, there just aren’t enough of us diehard fans to scoop up enough copies. I’d love to be proven wrong, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I actually love this version of "You Are The Heart Of Me" better than the MSS version. It's so beautifully done and mixed. I hear instrumentation in this new mix that was buried in the original 1976 mix. And I actually prefer no moans. I always found them to be distracting, unnecessary, and took away from the beauty of the song. She's more restrained on them in this alternate vocal, but even so I would have completely muted all of it. As a kid, it was always embarrassing when it got to that part in the song and I had to turn it down.
    Funny Brad, as I used to do the same when I was a kid! I would embarrassingly turn down the break in the song with Mary's moaning. lol.

@Carlo,

I canĀ’t wait to hear your impressions of the set once you finally get it.

Fondly [[as our dear Roberta always says),

Kenneth
    This is very sweet, Kenneth! Thank you for thinking of me I got my copies today, so I was busy working and listening to the set, simultaneously this afternoon, while writing down my thoughts on four post-it notes [[lol). I didn't want to forget mentioning anything in my initial post. I took a second listen tonight and spent some time catching up on this thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts thus far!

First off, this set is exceptionally beautiful. Lovely rare photos and heartfelt tributes. I especially love the photo of Mary in her yellow knitted hoodie. I don't think I've previously seen such a clear version of this photo. You can see her Supremes ring in full detail and clarity! I also love that b&w film strip series of photos, as well as that b&w shot from her solo album photo shoot, which Sophisticated_Soul kindly shared in this thread. I wish a colourized version of that photo could have been on the original album cover of her solo LP. Also, that glamour photo of Mary on the steps, featured on the back of the booklet, has been one of my favourite photos of her, ever since I first saw it. I seem to recall that Tony Vaughan took that picture himself on his phone? I'm so glad they decided to include it!

Now, onto the the amazing music. Every track is a gem. I felt like a little kid in Disneyland, hearing the unreleased tracks and new mixes. I felt overwhelmed, in a good way, by so many of the new vocals and instrumental bits. First off, Son of a Preacher Man sounds incredible. I was reading some comments in another thread about some saying that Mary's version is lacking...I did not feel that way at all. This new version is light years better than the version that surfaced on Youtube some time ago. When I first heard that Youtube version, I had originally thought that perhaps Mary only did one lead for this track, since it was said at the time that it was an incomplete demo. I remember that vocal being a bit pitchy in a few places, so I thought for this new set that they would need to auto-tune the vocal or something, but this vocal on the anthology must be a different take? I also don't remember that version having Mary's background vocals, like this one does? I'll have to go back and re-listen to that version. Either way, this released version is great!

I thought of Brad when I was listening to Witchi Tai To, as I know he was very excited about this one being released. It is SO different from everything The Supremes had done up to that point in 1969. I really wish it could have been released at that time, but obviously due to the meaning of the song, I understand why it wasn't. It is spiritual. Mary's vocal and the production did a great job of conveying that feeling.

The live tracks from the January 13th Farewell show are great. They feel much more like group performances, with those background harmonies on these versions, versus the originally released versions. The included banter from Mary and Diana is also a lot of fun. Diana sounds like she was a little tipsy, but I'm sure they all were!

The alternate verse of Automatically Sunshine was an amazing surprise! I agree that this version, along with many on this set, are superior to the originally released versions.

I love that we got an alternate version of "I Keep It Hid". I think Mary's lead vocal is better on this new mix and I like that the background vocals were turned down a bit, to spotlight Mary. However, I have always liked the 'Webbernacle Choir' [[I smiled at that reference made in the thread)!

The new mix of "Can We Love Again" is amazing. It improved the song so much! I noticed some lovely new "mmmhmmm" harmonies on "Early Morning Love" and a new instrumental bit...wow! "You Turn Me Around" has always been one of my top favourites and this new mix is also the definitive version. The new vocal on "You're What Is Missing In My Life" is so much more soulful...love it! "Till the Boat Sails Away" also has new background vocal parts and is extended...perfect way to end disc one! I got teary eyed. The new mix of "Don't Let My Tear Drops Bother You" made me feel like I was listening to it for the first time, which was a nice feeling. I think there was an unearthed drum track added to the choruses? That drum initially felt a tinge too loud for me [[I think it was just the 'newness' of it), but then as I listened more, I felt that it did give the song extra power, emotion and oomph in this new mix. I like it.

"You Are The Heart Of Me"...I love hearing a new different vocal. Although, is it just me, or is the pacing of Mary's delivery just a tiny bit too fast at times, compared to the instrumental and background vocals? I seem to remember noticing this mostly during the choruses. However, I do love being able to hear a new version of this song after many years. The mix is amazing, as she sounds very up-front. This mix made it feel like Mary was singing it in the room.

Finally, "Why Can't We All Get Along"...I started to get emotional hearing Mary's spoken introduction and I had to pull myself together. It makes me continue to hope that we will get another album or compilation in the future, with these Richard Davis tracks. I know those songs were special and personal to Mary.

I could really go on and write so much more, but will leave it at this for now. I've written an encyclopedic review! Oops.

Also, I don't know where all of this talk is coming from about Real Gone's logo possibly being removed from the March 4th release? I am willing to bet that the version of the anthology that has been shipped out early by Real Gone will be identical to the version that others will receive via the general March 4th retail release.

This release is a beautiful labour of love by Andy, George, Joe and Kevin. I think this anthology now tops my list of favourite releases I am so thankful that we can remember Mary with this wonderful release.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-07-2022 at 11:22 PM.

One last comment from me for the night...there is a photo of Mary in the booklet, which is an unseen shot from the photo shoot that was featured on the cover of the EU/UK releases of "The Supremes Sing Motown"...it's an adorable photo! The glimmer in her eyes and the smile is everything. It captures her inner joy and child-like spirit It's a new fave!

Lovely to have "Send Him To Me" and "If You Let Me Baby" in clear quality!

I tend to wonder if one of the reasons for "If You Let Me Baby" remaining in the vault for so long is due to the fact that it sounds so similar to Sly & the Family Stone's "Everyday People"? The extended outro with the background vocals is great.

Yes, this new mix of Automatically Sunshine is fantastic too! It comes across as still soulful, but softer than the original mixes, which are good, but those mixes are more loud and thumping. I think this new mix works well for Jean and Mary's soft vocals.

Same goes for "I Keep It Hid", which I had commented on earlier. The turned down background vocals allow us to focus more on Mary's vocal and the lush instrumentation, especially the strings.

It just goes to prove how important mixing is. Not trying to put down the originally released versions, as I love those too, but changing even just a few things really does give a totally different effect and brings out other elements in these recordings that have always been there. Love that!

While I'm waiting for my own set to arrive, I just wanted to ask about the 4 unreleased songs. Which eras were they recorded for -- Diana or Jean? I was planning to add them to their respective albums in my iTunes, and I'm hoping someone can shed light on that for me.

I can't wait, I'm beside myself. I did listen to Son Of A Preacher Man. I thought it was great, the negativity I've been reading has been a bit depressing to be honest. I'm not letting it spoil my excitement of this set. I've waited a dang long time for this.

2 are Diana era and 2 are Jean era
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    While I'm waiting for my own set to arrive, I just wanted to ask about the 4 unreleased songs. Which eras were they recorded for -- Diana or Jean? I was planning to add them to their respective albums in my iTunes, and I'm hoping someone can shed light on that for me.

I can't wait, I'm beside myself. I did listen to Son Of A Preacher Man. I thought it was great, the negativity I've been reading has been a bit depressing to be honest. I'm not letting it spoil my excitement of this set. I've waited a dang long time for this.