[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mary Wilson Anthology: SPOILERS!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread for those that have already received Mary's MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY, so we can discuss freely without spoiling it for those that haven't received it. Mine is scheduled to arrive Monday the 24th of January, so I won't be checking this thread until then, but for those of you that have, post and discuss away!

TOUCH!!!! OMG!
    EARLY MORNING LOVE!!! WOW!

These are outrageously well done.

When Mary died, I couldn't stop listening to "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You". This version is so well done. Just beautiful. So bittersweet.

Edit: The mix on this is so good!

I don't ever recall hearing such a clear, brilliant mix of Automatically Sunshine. What did you guys do? It's like I'm hearing this song for the first time in stereo after listening to it all these years on a 78rpm. ALTERNATE LYRICS!!!!! Whoa. Blown away....

This is great to read because mines not coming till Monday. I can’t believe it’s more than another month before it gets to the UK. Maybe that will happen faster.

Please tell us more!

Wow....just wow. So much love was put into this. The pictures are stunning.
    A real treasure for us fans. Thank you. This was a gift, indeed.

Are there many photos we haven’t seen before?

In addition to what's already been said:

I can see why the January 13, 1970 performances were chosen
    "Ol sexpot over here"
    "The devil made you do that. The devil said 'Get on over there and mess with that man" Who was that man; likey a random gentleman?

The alternate vocals/mixes were fantastic. Kevin Reeves is to be commended for removing the sharpness from Jean Terrell entrances and achieving a perfect balance between Mary & Jean. And the integration of instrumental tracks was breathtaking and etheral.
    With 'I Keep It Hid' the Webbinacle Blossom Choir was sparingly used in such a way that even Lynda Laurence's backgrounds could at times be prominently heard.

A few questions for Andy/George...
    On 'If You Let Me Baby, there is a voice that at :16-20 and 1:18-1:20 hauntingly rings through. At first it sounded like Flo Ballard which I assume would not have been possible. So please refresh my memory.. Which Andante emulated/approximated Flo's vocal tones?

And on 'Automatically Sunshine' [a la 'Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love] I believe I am hearing Smokey Robinson joining in on the background at 3:48-3:56. Is that correct?

Give a good listen to "Floy Joy" - They're singing FLOYD JOY

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Give a good listen to "Floy Joy" - They're singing FLOYD JOY
    Pg. 38 points out that fact as well as the word 'stone' in Stoned Loved'. And pg. 7 gives a similar twist to 'Witchi Tai To' and 'Stone[d] Love'.
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 01-22-2022 at 06:30 AM.

Have you ever felt vindicated and then humbled in a few split seconds? Growing up, we had a stereo console unit [bought at a privately owned thrift store] in the living room. Once my next oldest brother graduated high school, he began to save money and bought a more recent used model for the bedroom we shared. It was there that I listened to Floy Joy. When I first heard it, I wondered why I repeatedly heard 'Floyd' while the song title was clearly printed as 'Floy Joy'
    But I also must confess that I also had trouble deciphering the line 'Your real name may be Smith or Jones'. To me it sounded as if Mary were singing 'Your real name may be Spitball Jones'. Oh well, such is life.

In the booklet [pg. 7] Deke Richards in a past interview recollected that he wrote 'If You Let Me Baby' especially for Mary. Annotations on pg. 36 show recording dates as unknown. Chris Clark's version of the song was part of her U.K. Motown Collection. There it states 'Track cut 1 January, 1969; strings and Horns added 15 January 1969; lead recorded 31 January 1969". That and Mary's rendition are definitely distinct recordings. It should be likely that Mary's instrumental track would have been recorded earlier than Chris'. But perhaps we shall never know.

Shouldn't Automatically Sunshine be labeled "Alternate Vocal and Mix"? There is a completely different lyric on the second verse.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Have you ever felt vindicated and then humbled in a few split seconds? Growing up, we had a stereo console unit [bought at a privately owned thrift store] in the living room. Once my next oldest brother graduated high school, he began to save money and bought a more recent used model for the bedroom we shared. It was there that I listened to Floy Joy. When I first heard it, I wondered why I repeatedly heard 'Floyd' while the song title was clearly printed as 'Floy Joy'
    But I also must confess that I also had trouble deciphering the line 'Your real name may be Smith or Jones'. To me it sounded as if Mary were singing 'Your real name may be Spitball Jones'. Oh well, such is life.
    This is what an EXCELLENT mix will do. For years I heard people say just what you did and could never hear that elusive "d" at the end of Floy. But on this mix it is unmistakable. Maybe it's the vocal isolation at the beginning. You can hear it clear as day when Mary sings it.

i am assuming Touch is still a duet with Jean?
    thanks for all the posts.enjoy reading the info as mine has not arrived. mine states Sold Out still

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i am assuming Touch is still a duet with Jean?
    thanks for all the posts.enjoy reading the info as mine has not arrived. mine states Sold Out still
    Yes, but it is a mix I've never heard [[or maybe did and forgot? Does anyone know if this mix has appeared anywhere else? I don't think it has). As someone wrote on one of these threads, Kevin did such a good job taking the sharp edge off Jean's entry that if it isn't a completely new mix it is a very good remix. But I can hear chimes [[?, or a keyboard set to glockenspiel?... I almost want to say electric vibraphone) mixed very softly in the intro I've never heard anywhere else.

A few answers. First, I'm loving the response! Thank you.
    The extra voice you hear on "If You Let Me Baby" is Mary's. It's a second vocal take and I thought it would sound good to double her in spots [[as with Diana's double lead on You Keep Me Hangin' On). Listening now, I wish it had been louder because it sounds a little more like a bleed through than a choice.
    "Automatically Sunshine" also Mary's voice you are hearing. Smokey doesn't sing on this one.
    Times were changing by 1970. Mary grew from "the sexy one" to "sexpot." That was Diana's standard intro to "Falling In Love With Love." It's only on the very last performance that she cuts herself off before she got to that line because she was running out of intro and it sounds like she wanted to stop talking because Mary was about to sing the first line. However Gil vamped the intro again [[as you hear on Farewell) giving Mary a longer introduction.
    Obviously, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and "Falling In Love With Love" weren't back to back in the actual concert. During the applause of Can't Take My Eyes we cut to the patter that was after "Big Spender." Clearly Mary was having some fun with a lucky man in the audience! I love the playful patter between Diana and Mary.
    Since this is a spoiler alert thread, yes "Touch" is still a duet with Jean. But we found there was more Mary that wasn't used in the 1971 mix so we restored it. More Cindy too!

Awesome insights! Thanks George Solomon!

George, to add to/question about "If You Let Me Baby," isn't that Jean and Cindy doing background [and maybe with Mary]? To me, what LuckyLuckyMe was thinking was one of the Andantes sounds more like Jean's distinct sound.

You and Andy [and Kevin] have done a marvelous job on this set. BRAVO!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    A few answers. First, I'm loving the response! Thank you.
    The extra voice you hear on "If You Let Me Baby" is Mary's. It's a second vocal take and I thought it would sound good to double her in spots [[as with Diana's double lead on You Keep Me Hangin' On). Listening now, I wish it had been louder because it sounds a little more like a bleed through than a choice.
    "Automatically Sunshine" also Mary's voice you are hearing. Smokey doesn't sing on this one.
    Times were changing by 1970. Mary grew from "the sexy one" to "sexpot." That was Diana's standard intro to "Falling In Love With Love." It's only on the very last performance that she cuts herself off before she got to that line because she was running out of intro and it sounds like she wanted to stop talking because Mary was about to sing the first line. However Gil vamped the intro again [[as you hear on Farewell) giving Mary a longer introduction.
    Obviously, "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" and "Falling In Love With Love" weren't back to back in the actual concert. During the applause of Can't Take My Eyes we cut to the patter that was after "Big Spender." Clearly Mary was having some fun with a lucky man in the audience! I love the playful patter between Diana and Mary.
    Since this is a spoiler alert thread, yes "Touch" is still a duet with Jean. But we found there was more Mary that wasn't used in the 1971 mix so we restored it. More Cindy too!

^^great stuff!^^
    "Mary grew from "the sexy one" to "sexpot.""
    hee haw!

sorry danman for stepping on your post/question.
    I hope George sees it above!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-22-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Mary and Cindy are definitely in the background on "If You Let Me Baby." But there are one or two other voices. Sometimes I think it's Jean but honestly I'm not 100 percent sure.

I am bout halfway through side 1 and I am so impressed how clear and crisp everything sounds. The booklet and CD is produced so very well. Mary's voice is so beautiful and warm.

Thanks for the 411 George. Can you tell we love it, love it, love it???????
    Please tell the powers that be!

What a beautiful package - I can’t wait to dig into it [[mine just arrived)! Did Mary get to see/hear it before she died? I certainly hope so…

A beautiful release. I just spent 3 hours listening and reading. This upcoming week I will just listen without reading and read without listening so that I can get the full effect of the music and absorb the information in the booklet.

I wasn’t sure I would like the alternates but they are lovely. The booklet is stunning and packed with interesting commentary. I appreciate the listing of other vocals that feature Mary, whether as a solo or a co-lead, that were not included in this anthology. I hope to compile a Playlist that features Mary and Florence.

Great job to all concerned. Well worth the wait but sad Mary isn’t here to enjoy it with us.

My copy arrived this afternoon. I've just given the discs a play and read through the booklet. I'm impressed. So much to gleam in the many alternate cuts used on this collection which only repeated listens will provide and this is well worth listening to many times.

I'll contribute two "spoilers": One, I really enjoyed Louvain Demps contributions of her memories of Mary in the booklet.

And, I really liked the album version of Why Can't We All Get Along with the extended intro of Mary "conversing" with a friend. Maybe a future release will the Clarity album in full? Here's hoping.

i'm just blown away by Automatically Sunshine. i've always liked the song a lot but this new mix is just sensational. while AS has always been a favorite, i had to admit the released version was maybe a bit too sugary and sweet. this version has much more life! the expanded instrumentation fills the track so wonderfully. I like the missing verse although i think the lyric of it is the weakest of the 3 verses. but just great

now i'm more convinced than ever that 1) had Cindy stayed and 2) they released this version of AS, they would have had a major hit. probably not #1 but it would have probably charted in lower top 10.

im not criticizing Cindy or trying to bash Lynda. i just think that with FJ they had started to regain some of the lost momentum from the flop of Touch and the duets. this version of AS could have really exploded

i think many of these alt vocals are better than the released! I Keep It Hid always struck me as bland. i just didn't think mary's lead had much life. but this version is much more passionate. really excellent

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'm just blown away by Automatically Sunshine. i've always liked the song a lot but this new mix is just sensational. while AS has always been a favorite, i had to admit the released version was maybe a bit too sugary and sweet. this version has much more life! the expanded instrumentation fills the track so wonderfully. I like the missing verse although i think the lyric of it is the weakest of the 3 verses. but just great

now i'm more convinced than ever that 1) had Cindy stayed and 2) they released this version of AS, they would have had a major hit. probably not #1 but it would have probably charted in lower top 10.

im not criticizing Cindy or trying to bash Lynda. i just think that with FJ they had started to regain some of the lost momentum from the flop of Touch and the duets. this version of AS could have really exploded
    I know, right?

I was stunned when I first heard it. It's always been a "meh" song for me. Not any more. Mary's intonation on the second verse is enchanting, as is Jean's.

[QUOTE=luckyluckyme;683940] But I also must confess that I also had trouble deciphering the line 'Your real name may be Smith or Jones'. To me it sounded as if Mary were singing 'Your real name may be Spitball Jones'.

As a child, I thought Floy Joy’s real name was Spiffer Jones!
    Last edited by JohnnyB; 01-23-2022 at 10:04 AM.

All the tracks appear to be available on YouTube Music to hear for free. I'm still buying the CD though.

I wonder why Mary’s cd can be released, but not Reflections or Love Child?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    OMG! I thought that's what Mary was singing ever since I first heard it [[when it was released). I just now figured it out. Glad I'm not the only one who heard 'spitball'. Yikes!

thank you to everyone for postings your thoughts on this cd. mine seems to be lost between Sold Out and Out Of Stock.strange.but maybe on its way ,i like reading your insights and cant wait to hear disc 1
    keep em coming

Attachment 19563

Massive Thank You's to everyone involved in this magnificent project. Like Mary herself it looks and sounds great! Obviously put together with great love and respect for Mary. Well worth the wait. The sound is just excellent!

Early observations: The alternate version of "Our Day Will Come" is way better than the [very good] released version.

I really like "Anytime At All" which later became "Red Hot". "Anytime At All" has much more depth and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Attachment 19563

Massive Thank You's to everyone involved in this magnificent project. Like Mary herself it looks and sounds great! Obviously put together with great love and respect for Mary. Well worth the wait. The sound is just excellent!

Early observations: The alternate version of "Our Day Will Come" is way better than the [very good] released version.

I really like "Anytime At All" which later became "Red Hot". "Anytime At All" has much more depth and personality.
    I loved it all the new mixes are sensational.. wait to you hear witchi tail to,, save me. Danced my heart around the stars. Son of a preacher man and esp floy joy touch and as. This is Mary's crowning glory.

Another first rate collection! Kudos to George, Andy, Joe, Turkessa, and Jay.

In listening to the whole set, it was fascinating to see just how accomplished a vocalist Mary became over the years. At the moment, I'm not quite as enamored of the unreleased material. I'll have to give those another listen. But I am surprised at how much I ended up liking songs that I previously dismissed like DON'T LET MY TEARDROPS BOTHER YOU, I DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU, and WE SHOULD BE CLOSER TOGETHER.

Not to mention her 1979 solo debut. I turned that one all the way up last night. Again, I must have liked it more than I thought I did because I hadn't listened to it in years but I was singing along to many of the tracks, lick for lick. I ended up liking some of the Gus Dudgeon tracks more than I had previously as well.

Again, congrats to all involved. From the great booklet with the touching testimonials to the great music, a first rate effort.
    Last edited by reese; 01-25-2022 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    OMG! I thought that's what Mary was singing ever since I first heard it [[when it was released). I just now figured it out. Glad I'm not the only one who heard 'spitball'. Yikes!
    In the past, we’ve had members named [[or as they say inspired by) “Buttered Popcorn and So Forth”, “Waiting Watching for a Chance” and “Johnny Raven.” I think it only a matter of time before “Spitball Jones” joins SDF!
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-24-2022 at 10:27 AM.

Such a great release, guys! Here's to hoping 2022 brings us more releases and more joy to us fans!
    Just listening to this release makes me wonder if all the 1970 Frontier engagement was recorded and that we could hear the other shows. Seems the 13th show was more relaxed than the released version. Heck, Elvis Presley's group released every single show during his 1970 Internation Hotel [[later Hilton) shows.

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish46 View Post
    Such a great release, guys! Here's to hoping 2022 brings us more releases and more joy to us fans!
    Just listening to this release makes me wonder if all the 1970 Frontier engagement was recorded and that we could hear the other shows. Seems the 13th show was more relaxed than the released version. Heck, Elvis Presley's group released every single show during his 1970 Internation Hotel [[later Hilton) shows.
    In one of J. Randy's books, he says that three nights of performances [six shows] were taped. I have no idea if this is true or not. There was also a quote from Cindy where she refers to "the nights we were recording the Farewell album..."

Loooooove the set!!! Was so worth the wait! Love to finally hear the unedited Floy Joy in a stereo mix. Have been wanting that since I first heard it on the 2000 box set. Was able to listen to Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You without getting teary eyed as I was too busy appreciating Mary's vocal. Also love the Farewell performances, I really think that version of Falling In Love With Love was better than the one on the released album. I also notice that Cindy and Diana are singing backup on this version of Can't Take My Eyes Off You where I believe on the released version of Farewell they're not singing back up at all. Love the booklet and the tributes [[will keep my mouth shut about something related to that because why spoil it).

All I can say is...WOW!!!

I was disappointed I didn't have mine for the weekend, but considering there were some pretty good [[!) playoff games to watch, I was transfixed elsewhere anyway. But being stuck at home today it was a great lift to have the set at last.

Like I said, wow... The lavishness and care which has been given to this set is obvious. The mastering brings out the richness in Mary's voice which somehow always seemed to get buried under the breathy alto in the Motown mixes. These transfers give her voice a timbre I never really heard before.

It also helps, I think, that you get to hear her on entire albums of material. Not counting the pedestrian solo LP, except for Side 2 of "High Energy" I never heard Mary on more than one cut at a time. This also adds to the enjoyment because you kind of get to know her voice for the first time.

Of the ballads, I especially love "Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You" and "Til the Boat Sails Away," as I knew I would, as I always loved the "slow jam" side of that album. "We Should Be Closer Together" from the last Supremes LP is achingly lovely. My friend Philles/Motown_Gary can now finally agree on something Motown related because I was bowled over by "You Dance My Heart Around the Stars" which I've heard before but never like this. And I especially love the raucous extended mix of "Early Morning Love." It reminds me a lot of the Marvelettes version of "Someday We'll Be Together" which I thought was their best ever cover [[of someone else's song). And even "Red Hot" which I never much cared for, sounds like a new song in its new mix.

This is such a great experience to hear. Such a great job, guys. Kudos! This is going to take many listens to really hear the whole thing.
    Last edited by kenneth; 01-24-2022 at 06:28 PM.

"Witchi Tai To" is without a doubt the most unusual and most experimental song the group ever recorded. I've always loved it when it was originally done by Jim Pepper. It's been a heavily covered song especially on the FM radio stations. This version by the ladies, just Mary & Cindy, certainly captures the mystique and essence the song requires. It's fun to listen to and the Funk Brothers soar on that arrangement.

If anyone is wondering what the lyrics are, these are them:

"Witchi-tai-tai, gimee rah
    Whoa rah neeko, whoa rah neeko
    Hey ney, hey ney, no wah

Water spirit feelin'
    Springin' round my head
    Makes me feel glad
    That I'm not dead"

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    "Witchi Tai To" is without a doubt the most unusual and most experimental song the group ever recorded. I've always loved it when it was originally done by Jim Pepper. It's been a heavily covered song especially on the FM radio stations. This version by the ladies, just Mary & Cindy, certainly captures the mystique and essence the song requires. It's fun to listen to and the Funk Brothers soar on that arrangement.

If anyone is wondering what the lyrics are, these are them:

"Witchi-tai-tai, gimee rah
    Whoa rah neeko, whoa rah neeko
    Hey ney, hey ney, no wah

Water spirit feelin'
    Springin' round my head
    Makes me feel glad
    That I'm not dead"
    interesting that it's just M and C! i was assuming it was mary overdubbed

suprise suprise suprise, guess what i got when i home from work. LOVE IT
    bueatiful packaging ,photos
    LOVE Touch , this IS the version that should have been released. love that Mary has more vocals in this and Floy Joy is so cool.
    currently playing Automatically Sunshine, always been a favorite. what !!!!an xtra verse!
    loving this collection. to much to take in all at one time but to Andy,George and Kevin Reeves....what a blast i am having ..really really loving Automatically Sunshine. this version would be a top ten hit no doubt.
    Mary is crying tears of Joy right now.
    I keep It Hid is lovely.
    Last edited by daviddh; 01-24-2022 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting that it's just M and C! i was assuming it was mary overdubbed
    It appears like layered vocals by Mary, but there is definitely backing by Cindy. You can hear her when they split into harmony on "Water spirit feelin' springing around my head / Makes me feel glad that I'm not dead"

question to George and Andy

are the backing tracks to Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine the full, unedited tracks? for instance, all of the instrumental breaks and all? or for these mixes, were things repeated and added?

both tracks are just great. i always thought the FJ album was a bit on the short side so there was definitely room to extend a few of the songs. Also the released FJ album is wonderful in my opinion but i do understand how some people thought it too thin and light. the added instruments on FJ and AS and the lengthier versions could have helped to add more substance to the album

now i want to get a Floy Joy EE! lol

The tracks from Floy Joy on Mary's Anthology are unedited and we added no additional breaks. That's how they were recorded. An expanded Floy Joy album would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    The tracks from Floy Joy on Mary's Anthology are unedited and we added no additional breaks. That's how they were recorded. An expanded Floy Joy album would be great.
    You do know you've just unleashed a torrent of threads here complaining we don't have "Floy Joy Expanded Edition" yet. "Why don't we have Floy Joy EE?", "Why can Universal give us Floy Joy that George said...". LOL!!!

I think there's a good chance we'll get it. Check back in 2042. :-)