[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Central Park Concert

What is your favorite image of Diana Ross at her New York City Central Park Concerts?

I like the image of Diana Ross with her tangerine bodysuit and flowing cape in the breeze. I was there both nights.Milestone concerts in musical history.

Most iconic quote:
    "It's taken me a lifetime to get here, I'm not going anywhere."
    A historic quote of claiming one's personal enterprise.

It would be divine for Diana Ross to repeat with a smaller jazz combo her historic
    "Stolen Moments" Jazz Concert at the Ritz Club at a new venue:
    Carnegie Hall, New York City.
    Quincey Jones, Musical
    Conductor.
    A Deluxe CD would be grand!
    I love when Diana Ross sings Jazz!
    Oh My!
    Last edited by TNSUN; 01-19-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Did the documentary that was done about this concert a couple years back ever make it onto DVD? It was originally shown in movie theaters, I believe the year of her 75th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Did the documentary that was done about this concert a couple years back ever make it onto DVD? It was originally shown in movie theaters, I believe the year of her 75th birthday.
    No, it didn't.

Was it really a documentary though? I saw it during one of the theater screenings and it was just an interview intro done by her kids, sitting in a small office room, and they were praising their Mom. The rest of the footage is identical to the concert DVD release. I stayed for about half of it and then went home because it was a work night and was just wanting to see the promised new commentary, which ended up being disappointing. It didn't even include an interview with Diana herself...unless they showed that at the end? Lol.
    Last edited by carlo; 01-19-2022 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Was it really a documentary though? I saw it during one of the theater screenings and it was just an interview intro done by her kids, sitting in a small office room, and they were praising their Mom. The rest of the footage is identical to the concert DVD release. I stayed for about half of it and then went home because it was a work night and was just wanting to see the promised new commentary, which ended up being disappointing. It didn't even include an interview with Diana herself...unless they showed that at the end? Lol.
    To my memory, the only thing new occurred after the credit bed. There was some studio footage of Diana and the dancers rehearsing the African dance that opened the first night's concert.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    To my memory, the only thing new occurred after the credit bed. There was some studio footage of Diana and the dancers rehearsing the African dance that opened the first night's concert.
    Thanks Reese! Would have loved to have seen that, but that's what I get for leaving at the halfway point. Lol. I blame the nearly one hour commute home, that I had at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks Reese! Would have loved to have seen that, but that's what I get for leaving at the halfway point. Lol. I blame the nearly one hour commute home, that I had at the time.
    No problem. A good friend of mine left during the credits and kicked himself when I told him what he had missed.

Despite it being basically the same as the dvd, it was nice seeing the concert on the big screen. I only wish more people had gone. At the showing that I attended, I doubt if there were more than ten of us present.

I only wish more people had gone. At the showing that I attended, I doubt if there were more than ten of us present.
    Sorry to hear that. I went to a Wednesday night screening, which was in a smaller theater, but it was quite full...there were almost 100 people there. It was a pleasant surprise. I would have felt disappointed if there were only 10 people. Actually, I got at least a couple dirty looks from people when I left early lol. Oops.

I went to a showing of Lady Sings the Blues a few years ago as well, as they were showing it from the original film reels that they had kept in their archives, from its original theatrical release. That was in a much bigger theater and it was an impressive turn-out...also on a week night. Both of these showings were in Toronto.

I found the documentary really disappointing, appearing as if one of her kids had spliced it together in haste. Also some of the clips were repeated.
    Sadly there were only five of us in the cinema the night it was shown. The nice thing being we were all chatting before and after the concert was screened, sharing our views on Diana’s career.
    I wonder how different it might have been had it been shown in 1983?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I found the documentary really disappointing, appearing as if one of her kids had spliced it together in haste. Also some of the clips were repeated.
    Sadly there were only five of us in the cinema the night it was shown. The nice thing being we were all chatting before and after the concert was screened, sharing our views on Diana’s career.
    I wonder how different it might have been had it been shown in 1983?.
    I'm sure it would have had a better response. It was really an event, was very timely and unless you had Preview / Showtime, you couldn't see it. Unlike today when you can just watch the dvd or look at it on YouTube.

Favorite images from Central Park: First night: The tangerine bodysuit in the rain! Second night: The African dance opening. Favorite quote: I second TNSUN's. Yes, both of these would be great, expanded on DVD!

I'm sure it would have had a better response. It was really an event, was very timely and unless you had Preview / Showtime, you couldn't see it. Unlike today when you can just watch the dvd or look at it on YouTube.
    It would have been great at the time. It’s not really one of favourite Diana concerts to be honest, thinking she was in much better voice on the HBO 79 and Forum concert of 81. It’s only the fact it was filmed in Central Park before such a large audience that makes it special for me.
    I can well understand why rca refused to have it released on record.

It would have been great at the time. It’s not really one of favourite Diana concerts to be honest, thinking she was in much better voice on the HBO 79 and Forum concert of 81. It’s only the fact it was filmed in Central Park before such a large audience that makes it special for me.
    I can well understand why rca refused to have it released on record.
    My family didn't have cable at the time so I had to ask my neighbor if I could I watch it at her home. A few days later, one of the local radio stations played a simulcast and I was able to record an 8-track copy of it. For the rest of the summer, I used to listen to it every day. Now I can see its pluses and minuses but back then I thought it was great.

My family didn't have cable at the time so I had to ask my neighbor if I could I watch it at her home. A few days later, one of the local radio stations played a simulcast and I was able to record an 8-track copy of it. For the rest of the summer, I used to listen to it every day. Now I can see its pluses and minuses but back then I thought it was great.
    It’s really nice to hear fans personal recollections. Even though vocally Diana was far from her best at this historic event, she still possessed enough star power and personal magnetism to keep the vast crowd enthralled.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Favorite images from Central Park: First night: The tangerine bodysuit in the rain! Second night: The African dance opening. Favorite quote: I second TNSUN's. Yes, both of these would be great, expanded on DVD!
    In fact, it was the first show. Second show, she opened with a fierce rendition of "I'm coming out".

First night is memorable from opening to ending. I love the theatric of her gesture when she points to the sky while singing "stop in the name of love".

i havent watched the concert for a few years..i have it on dvd somewhere..one of my favourite bits,which may seem a little odd is when the synth player is riffing on "Its My House" while Diana says the Mae West lines.. i dont know why i just think its sounds cool..i also love the african dancers on the first night..and I think its funny she has the audacity to do"Family" from Dreamgirls -a play about her life which she refused to see..i was disapointed the dvd had some edits..wasnt "Pieces Of Ice" taken out if I remember correctly ?

One of my favourite parts of the rain fest Was when she was dancing to the song maniac it was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    i havent watched the concert for a few years..i have it on dvd somewhere..one of my favourite bits,which may seem a little odd is when the synth player is riffing on "Its My House" while Diana says the Mae West lines.. i dont know why i just think its sounds cool..i also love the african dancers on the first night..and I think its funny she has the audacity to do"Family" from Dreamgirls -a play about her life which she refused to see..i was disapointed the dvd had some edits..wasnt "Pieces Of Ice" taken out if I remember correctly ?
    The dvd left out PIECES OF ICE, THE PROPHET, WORK THAT BODY, and some songs from LADY SINGS THE BLUES. It started airing that way on Showtime in 1984, I believe.

The dvd left out PIECES OF ICE, THE PROPHET, WORK THAT BODY, and some songs from LADY SINGS THE BLUES. It started airing that way on Showtime in 1984, I believe.
    My favourite part of CP has to be Diana singing “God Bless The Child” with tears running down her face. A moment of genuine emotion that should never have been omitted from the dvd release. The Prophet reading was always a bad idea that i’m guessing probably came from Diana. An embarrassing moment that certainly deserved it’s deletion.

The Prophet by Khalil Gibran?? Never saw that part! I want the dvd in full!

My favourite part of CP has to be Diana singing “God Bless The Child” with tears running down her face. A moment of genuine emotion that should never have been omitted from the dvd release. The Prophet reading was always a bad idea that i’m guessing probably came from Diana. An embarrassing moment that certainly deserved it’s deletion.
    GOD BLESS THE CHILD is on the dvd release but the other songs from the LADY segment [the title track, T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS, and I CRIED FOR YOU] are not.

My favorite moments were MIRROR MIRROR, RIBBON IN THE SKY, and ENDLESS LOVE.

All of this Central Park talk made me pull out the dvd last night. I only watched the first night but it brought back such good memories. And looking at it through my adult eyes, I realize how much of a responsibility it was to get all of those people out of the park safely.

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    The Prophet by Khalil Gibran?? Never saw that part! I want the dvd in full!
    Indeed. With the background singers chanting "Love one another, but make not a bond of love" as she read passages from a massive book. It was an early instance of her diva-as-guru ambitions.

GOD BLESS THE CHILD is on the dvd release but the other songs from the LADY segment [the title track, T'AIN'T NOBODY'S BIZNESS, and I CRIED FOR YOU] are not.

My favorite moments were MIRROR MIRROR, RIBBON IN THE SKY, and ENDLESS LOVE.

All of this Central Park talk made me pull out the dvd last night. I only watched the first night but it brought back such good memories. And looking at it through my adult eyes, I realize how much of a responsibility it was to get all of those people out of the park safely.
    So it is. I bought a copy for a friends birthday, but not for myself as it’s never really been one of my faves. The Lady Sings The Blues segment must have been rather difficult to perform in front of such a massive, boisterous crowd.