[REMOVE ADS]

Ranking the Top 10 best girl groups: The SUPREMES RANK NUMBER ONE

No one ever agrees with a best list that someone else compiles, and here is another one. I'm happy to see the Supremes at the top and some others included like LaBelle, Pointers, Ronnettes and Shirelles. I wish some other older acts were included, but it is what it is

https://nypost.com/article/best-girl...-bands-ranked/

Where are The ShangriLas, The Paris Sisters, The Angels, The Toys, The Dixie Cups, etc.? About half the groups in this list made no impression whatsoever on me; I never heard of them and have no desire to hear them now. Give me The Leader Of The Pack, I Love How You Love Me, My Boyfriend's Back, A Lover's Concerto, The Chapel Of Love and other such memorable certifiable hits. Give me more Motown.

The list spans a lot of years - TLC Spice Girls and Destiny’s Child deserve inclusion but I don’t really know them

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Where are The ShangriLas, The Paris Sisters, The Angels, The Toys, The Dixie Cups, etc.? About half the groups in this list made no impression whatsoever on me; I never heard of them and have no desire to hear them now. Give me The Leader Of The Pack, I Love How You Love Me, My Boyfriend's Back, A Lover's Concerto, The Chapel Of Love and other such memorable certifiable hits. Give me more Motown.
    OK boomer.

"The Super Duper Supremes rivaled the Beatles. The Supremes' songs seem still to sound fresh today. An amazing legacy!

It's nice to see the Shirelles and the Ronettes get their due. Often they're looked over in lists like this.

While I don't begrudge anyone having their favorites or opinions about "best" [[whatever that means), to compare the Pussycat Dolls and Spice Girls to the Shangrilas and the Dixie Cups is mind boggling to me. I've lived through the age of the Pussycat Dolls, and Spice Girls, and TLC, and [[gag me) Destiny's Child. I'm also obviously a lover of music that is before my time and can confidently consider myself, at the very least, somewhat knowledgeable about the "girl group" era. When it comes to the impact of the groups that made the list, the Dixie Cups, the Shangrilas, and Toys, among many others, can be laughed off the list. Song for song, I'd make the argument that Martha and the Vandellas [[one of my absolute favorite female groups), deserve a spot on this list instead of Labelle [[a group I respect the hell out of). But in their time, the Pussycat Dolls and Spice Girls [[neither of which I was ever a fan of) were a force to be reckoned with. I can't imagine anyone making that case for the groups Ben lists here.