[REMOVE ADS]

Any Connection? SMILING FACES SOMETIMES and RESPECT YOURSELF

Just occurred to me that there is a bit of a similar sound to the two, same sort of a chug to it and both being advisory about life.
    But moreso Pops Staples sounds a bit like the singer from Undisputed Truth.

Did someone notice this and think it time to give Pop's voice some prominence? Or was that already being practiced on Staple Singers songs?

Also the trading off of male/female vocals is similar.

RESPECT YOURSELF came out six months after SMILING FACES SOMETIMES.

Just curious ...??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-09-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Producers were always aware of what was current because they are wanting to get in with the current craze. Norman Whitfield was especially aware and you only have to go back to his psychedelic era and the influence of Sly & the Family Stone. I remember noticing a different influence one time when I was watching Rose Royce perform Is It Love You're After. But hey, why don't you put your question to Brenda BJ Evans on Facebook [[also via Undisputed Truth) as she answers questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Just occurred to me that there is a bit of a similar sound to the two, same sort of a chug to it and both being advisory about life.
    But moreso Pops Staples sounds a bit like the singer from Undisputed Truth.

Did someone notice this and think it time to give Pop's voice some prominence? Or was that already being practiced on Staple Singers songs?

Also the trading off of male/female vocals is similar.

RESPECT YOURSELF came out six months after SMILING FACES SOMETIMES.

Just curious ...??
    Not sure Pops sounds like Joe Harris from the UD

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Not sure Pops sounds like Joe Harris from the UD
    not identical. But both a bit raspy , subdued, with sort of a sing/ talk delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Producers were always aware of what was current because they are wanting to get in with the current craze. Norman Whitfield was especially aware and you only have to go back to his psychedelic era and the influence of Sly & the Family Stone. I remember noticing a different influence one time when I was watching Rose Royce perform Is It Love You're After. But hey, why don't you put your question to Brenda BJ Evans on Facebook [[also via Undisputed Truth) as she answers questions.
    Of course this would be in reverse because this would be Stax observing Motown . But yes why not …
    Would it be out of the realm of possibilities that Pops was singing along to the song when it was on the radio or something and somebody realized, hey you should do something like that….
    Would enjoy proposing this on Facebook to Brenda , I wonder if they thought there was a similarity to their song … don’t have an account there … any chance you’d put that inquiry out there ?

Hey Boogie, now you’ve mentioned it, I could see some influence from "Smiling Faces Sometimes" to "Respect Yourself".

Although I think "Backstabbers" by The O'Jays bears more of an influence, especially in terms of the song's content/meaning. I know they even quote "smiling faces sometimes tell lies" towards the end of the song.

Pops Staples does sound a little bit like Joe Pep Harris, although not as deep. I think Pops sounds more like Billy Paul actually. Lol
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-11-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Boogie, now you’ve mentioned it, I could see some influence from "Smiling Faces Sometimes" to "Respect Yourself".

Although I think "Backstabbers" by The O'Jays bears more of an influence, especially in terms of the song's content/meaning. I know they even quote "smiling faces sometimes tell lies" towards the end of the song.

Pops Staples does sound a little bit like Joe Pep Harris, although not as deep. I think Pops sounds more like Billy Paul actually. Lol
    yep you are spot on with that BACKSTABBERS comparison.
    now since that took a year to transpire, how impossible would the RESPECT YOURSELF derivative be only months after SMILING FACES.

good call on Bill Paul

I think I also hear some Sammy Davis Jr. in Billy ….although understandably likely you don’t know who that is ??

I do know who Sammy Davis Jr. is actually, although I don’t know that much about him. He was signed to Motown at one point I know that.

And, I’ve always thought The Undisputed Truth's Joe Harris sounds like Jerry Butler!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-12-2022 at 06:01 AM.

Here is The Undisputed Truth's own follow-up to "Smiling Faces"… "You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth"

Excellent call Tom regarding Jerry Butler.
    even though Sammy recorded once with Motown I’m not sure he was that much a fan … did he record any Motown staples ?
    cant think
    of any off hand although I don’t have his repertoire memorized….

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Excellent call Tom regarding Jerry Butler.
    even though Sammy recorded once with Motown I’m not sure he was that much a fan … did he record any Motown staples ?
    cant think
    of any off hand although I don’t have his repertoire memorized….
    Thanks Boogie
    I don’t remember any of Sammy's Motown stuff being particularly, erm, memorable, although I could be wrong.

Where Sammy Davis Jr. made an impact was as a live performer. Probably the most talented entertainer of his generation. He could do it all--sing, dance, act, etc. There are some worthwhile biographies and documentaries about him. His brief tenure at Motown was a footnote to his career and accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    His brief tenure at Motown was a footnote to his career and accomplishments.
    This is a much better way of saying what I said!