Billboard's Hot 100/ Top 40 Motown Chronicles - 1972 Pt. 1

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #1

Jan. 1, 1972

previously on Motown and Billboard's
    Hot 100/ Top 40 :

The New Year of 1972 enters like a lamb. The first #1 song of 1972 is the same as the last one for 1971. The Top 10 is also mostly the same with only slight moves or repeated positions for most songs and only one new entry. The Top 40 recruits just four new singles.
    Motown is especially stagnant: Same Top Ten record, same four Top 40 singles, same eight charters on the Hot 100, none on fire save SUGAR DADDY by The J5.

The Top 10:

Melanie's BRAND NEW KEY [aka: THE ROLLER SKATE SONG] repeats its #1 position for a second week. AMERICAN PIE by Don McLean moves up one place to #2 from #3 and The Family Stone's FAMILY AFFAIR makes room by dropping to #3. Michael Jackson's got to be at #5 doing so for the third time with GOT TO BE THERE.
    Just one new song enters the Top 10. Newcomer Jonathan Edwards SUNSHINE on Capricorn Records is up 5 to #8 from #13. All Jon needed to get in was for Sonny and Cher to get out with their ALL I EVER NEED IS YOU, as they did, just barely, down to #11 from #7.

The Top 40:

^HEY BIG BROTHER - Rare Earth #28 up 4 from #32.
    ^SUGAR DADDY - Jackson Five #21 up 10 from #31
    SUPERSTAR [REMEMBER HOW YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE] - The Temptations #30 down 12 from #18

Biggest mover on the chart: tie} SUGAR DADDY, The Jackson Five [#21 from #31], and DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE, Joe Simon [#18 from #28], both advancing ten places.

New to the Top 40: A third light week in a row with 4 new songs, all from somewhat newbies:

Highest debut:
    ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND
    - Think - #32 up 13 from #45 [First time artist] [One Hit Wonder]

ANTICIPATION - Carly Simon - #36 up 7 from #43 - [2nd Top 40 hit]
    ITS ONE OF THOSE NIGHT [YES LOVE] - The Partridge Family- #37 up 7 from #44 - [5th Top 40 hit]
    LEVON - Elton John - #40 up 17 from #57 - [3rd Top 40 hit]

NEW:
    This year the chart coverage will include a listing of all songs debuting on The Hot 100, not just those from Motown and proxies.

Seven Hot 100 Debuts, none from Motown:

#56 - STAY WITH ME - Faces
    #81 - PRECIOUS AND FEW - Climax
    #87 - BANG A GONG [GET IT ON] - T. Rex
    #89 - LION SLEEPS TONIGHT - Robert John
    #90 - TOGETHER LET'S FIND LOVE - The Fifth Dimension
    #99 - TUPELO HONEY - Van Morrison
    #100 - JOY - Apollo

Debuts:
    none from Motown

3rd week: ^MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight and the Pips- #46 up 2 from #48
    3rd week: ^YOU MAKE YOUR OWN HEAVEN AND HELL RIGHT HERE ON EARTH - Undisputed Truth - #83 up 2 from #85
    5th week: ^WAY BACK HOME - Jr. Walker & The All Stars - #74 up 1 from #75
    8th week: ^SATISFACTION - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - #49 up 4 from #53
    off:
    none

A good week for:
    FACES
    the Rod Stewart Band that evolved from the group Small Faces. Not only is their STAY WITH ME single this week's highest Hot 100 debut at #56, but Rod Stewart's remake of The Temptations [I KNOW] I'M LOSING YOU is in the Top 40, although it slips a bit to #29 from #24 [its peak]. An unusual oversight, Billboard has not credited Faces on the record's chart listing but the 45 is labeled as Rod Stewart with Faces.

Quite a bit of Motown product gets reviewed in Billboard this week:
    New albums by
    Gladys Knight - STANDING OVATION --- ["Each cut is like a vocal drama with Miss Knight supplying the soul and inspiration"]
    Rare Earth - IN CONCERT --- ["captures them at their best"],
    Junior Walker - MOODY JR ---["sounding stronger than ever".]

And amongst new singles this week, just one gets singled out with a prediction of being top 20 bound:
    Supremes: FLOY JOY---
    [Prod:"Smokey")[Writer: Robinson[[Jobete,BMI) -"Trio kicks off the new year with an infectious rhythm item that has it to prove as big as Sattan [sic] Jones."]

This week two covers of Motown former hits are on the Top 40:
    WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO - Donnie Elbert peaking last week at #15, this week slips to #22. 35 year-old Donnie Elbert, an artist since the mid- fifties, finally hits pay dirt and delivers Sylvia Robinson's All Platinum Records their first hit. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO was the breakthrough single for The Supremes in 1964 going all the way to #1 for two weeks on the Hot 100.

I KNOW I'M LOSING YOU - Rod Stewart - Also peaking last week, at #24 now #29, a remake of The Temptations hit of 1966 that peaked at #8. In 1970 Rare Earth remade the song and their version reached #7. [Rod's version also #4 in Canada, ignored in the UK]:

Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-09-2022 at 09:48 PM.

That was a massive amount of work to construct this thread. Thank you for your efforts it is appreciated. I wish I were that talented.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    That was a massive amount of work to construct this thread. Thank you for your efforts it is appreciated. I wish I were that talented.
    Thank you Woodward.
    It flows pretty readily once I formulate it in my mind. I’m enjoying re-reading these old Billboards with a fresh eye.
    I tried to simplify it for this coming year but found it less satisfying and have wound up adding more instead! Lol!
    I’m going to divide the year into thirds or quarters so I can add more along the way without creating a log jam. For instance , up to three YouTubes can be inserted but I’ve kept it down to two to avoid overload, so I’ve had to select some entries at the expense of others.
    I hope you’ll stay tuned ! 1972 is an interesting year for Motown and the Hot 100!
    boogiedown

Billboard’s
    Hot 1
    00/ Top 40
    Chart #2

Jan. 8, 1972

Not a lot of dynamic action on the chart during this slow season. A repeat record at #1, four new Top 40s, seven new Hot 100s.
    Just 46 singles were reviewed in Billboard this week, a very low number. By comparison, for the September 11th, 1971 issue of the magazine [randomly selected date,] 152 singles were submitted.

Motown improves its presence. Their premiere hit makers prevail: Michael Jackson's GOT TO BE THERE remains fixed at #5 for its fourth week, while the brothers' SUGAR DADDY continues its surge, nine places up this week to #12.
    One Motown record becomes a top 40 hit, while another new one enters the Hot 100 for a total of nine charters.

The Top 10:

BRAND NEW KEY holds at #1 for this brand new year, third week now for Melanie, while Don McLean's AMERICAN PIE holds at #2, as does Sly's FAMILY AFFAIR at #3. The biggest record in the Top 10 is Al Green's LET'S STAY TOGETHER, in at #4 from #14. One other song enters the Top 10, I'D LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO SING at #8 from #12, and its the New Seekers version.
    Two in, two out: AN OLD FASHIONED LOVE SONG, a Paul Williams song intended for The Carpenters but scooped up by Three Dog Night, a huge sink from #4 to #18 and similarly, HAVE YOU SEEN HER by The Chi-Lites dives to #19 from #6.

The Top 40
    :

^SUGAR DADDY - Jackson Five another strong leap after 10 notches last week: #12 up 9 from #21
    ^HEY BIG BROTHER - Rare Earth: bigger bump this week: #22 up 6 from #28.
    SUPERSTAR [REMEMBER HOW YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE] - The Temptations, hangs on for a final Top 40 charting: #39 down 9 from #30.

Biggest mover on the chart: ANTICIPATION - Carly Simon to #23, a big leap of 13 from #36
    Offs: None from Motown

New to the Top 40: A fourth light week in a row with 4 new songs, 2 from returning performers and two from newbies:
    Highest debut:
    NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN - Three Dog Night - #24 up 19 from #43 [12th Top 40 hit]

THE WITCH QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS
    - Redbone #29 up 16 from #45 [*First Time Artist]
    THAT'S THE WAY I FEEL ABOUT CHA' - Bobby Womack -#37 up 11 from #48 [*First Time Artist]
    MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight and the Pips- #38 up 8 from #46 [13th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Seven Hot 100 Debuts, one from Motown, three by proxy

#83 - ANOTHER PUFF - Jerry Reed
    #85 FEELIN' ALRIGHT - Joe Cocker
    #92 YOU WANT IT, YOU GOT IT - Detroit Emeralds Detroit label
    #96 - IF I COULD SEE THE LIGHT - 8th Day Invictus HDH label
    #98 - FLOY JOY - Supremes
    #99 - FOOTSTOMPIN' MUSIC - Grand Funk Railroad
    #100 - THE ROAD WE DIDN'T TAKE - Freda Payne HDH produced/written, Invictus label

Debuts:
    1st week ^ FLOY JOY - Supremes - #98
    - DEBUT

4th week: ^YOU MAKE YOUR OWN HEAVEN AND HELL RIGHT HERE ON EARTH - Undisputed Truth - #74 up 7 from #83
    6th week: ^WAY BACK HOME - Jr. Walker & The All Stars - #70 up 4 from #74
    8th week: SATISFACTION - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles -#65 down 16 from #49
    off:
    none

A very good week for :
    George Harrison
    advancing up the chart with a record he produced for Badfinger on his Apple label, DAY AFTER DAY is in the Top 20 at #16.
    But most importantly, his three record album set of his CONCERT FOR BANGLA DESH is this week's highest entry onto Billboard's Top 200 LPs chart, entering at #14. Retailers are reporting the 12.98 priced lavish box set gave the Christmas music giving season a welcomed bonus. More about this event next week.

No singles will be released from this project, so no Hot 100 activity will result from it.

Also a very good week for:
    teen idols
    three of them in the top ten: Michael Jackson with GOT TO BE THERE #5 , David Cassidy with CHERISH #9 ,Donny Osmond with HEY GIRL #10.

As well as a good week for:
    Isaac Hayes
    His former #1 song, THEME FROM SHAFT, is still in the Top 40, now at #32, while The Emotions move up 10 to #56 with SHOW ME HOW, a ballad written and produced by Hayes with David Porter.
    Meanwhile on the Soul LPs chart, Isaac is at #2 and #3: with BLACK MOSES up one to #2 and the SHAFT ST trading places to #3. [ at #1: THERE'S A RIOT GOING ON - Sly & The Family Stone]

This week's UK chart didn't make it to press, allowing an opportunity to canvas the rest of the world, with 16 countries reporting their Top 10 or Top 20 most popular songs [Canada also missing in this edition], there is this: not a single location lists a charting hit by a Motown artist.
    What continues to sweep the globe is MAMMY BLUE, on 13 charts, most often at #1 by various artists, mostly the Pop Tops.

Don't blink or you'll miss it:
    Always on the watch for double-sided hit singles , this week during its last appearance on the Top 40 /Hot 100, Neil Diamond's current hit, now #36, becomes a double header with CRUNCHY GRANOLA SUITE getting shared billing with STONES. CRUNCHY GRANOLA is a favorite of Neil's , he'll include it in performances often and it gets an elaborate presentation on his upcoming HOT AUGUST NIGHT live album. Diamond has commented the song was in response to moving to California and being newly exposed to healthier eating fads there.
    One other two-song record on the Hot 100: Donny Osmond's HEY GIRL/ I KNEW YOU WHEN

Last chance to acknowledge a Philly party record that taps into Bobby Martin's funkier side that's been riding the Soul Singles chart for five weeks [#29 peak], but now looks like it'll slip away:

With the SHUT YOUR MOUTH cue, we sign off: 10,000 character limit for a post reached.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-16-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40
    Chart #3
    Part I

Jan. 15, 1972

90 records reviewed by Billboard this week ,
    last week 46

Motown is stifled. No new songs on the Top 40 and none on the Hot 100 as well. Their highest charter is now on its way down. The label's biggest advancing hit on last week's Top 40 comes to a sudden halt. One entry drops off.
    The ladies of Motown provide the label its biggest strength. Gladys Knight is the rising star of the Top 40, and The Supremes are the supreme leaders of the Hot 100.

The Top 10:

AMERICAN PIE
    seemed destined to go to #1, and in its 8th chart week, destiny is reached by singer/songwriter Don McLean. Singer/songwriter Melanie drops out, just barely, to #2 after her three week top spot stint with BRAND NEW KEY. Right underneath that, up one is Al Green's LET'S STAY TOGETHER [#3].
    SUNSHINE by Jonathan Edwards is the Ten's strongest member, up 3 into the Top 5, to #4 from #7. GOT TO BE THERE, Michael's solo, down to #8 from a #5 peak.
    Breaking in, just one: Miami generated soul tune by Betty Wright, written by Clarence Reid [aka Blowfly] CLEAN UP WOMAN at #10 from #13, replacing CHERISH by David Cassidy, big dip to #17 from #9.

The Top 40:

SUGAR DADDY
    - Jackson Five - #12 second week at #12 - a surprising sudden stop for the bulleting single in its sixth week.
    ^HEY BIG BROTHER - Rare Earth: slows down #20 up 2 from #22
    ^MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight and the Pips - #32 up 6 from #38 Motown's most hopeful.

off:
    SUPERSTAR [REMEMBER HOW YOU GOT WHERE YOU ARE]
    - The Temptations, off from #39 last week, the derisive song aimed at recently departed group member Eddie Kendricks [and perhaps ex-band mate David Ruffin, however this seems unlikely as David will record a version of this tune later.] SUPERSTAR features all five members of the group as
    lead singers: two originals, Melvin Franklin and Otis Williams, more recent member Dennis Edwards, and the newest to the line up: Damon Harris and Richard Street who are introduced with larger imagery on the just released album.

In spite of the LP's SOLID ROCK bravado, the Tempts as a group are currently standing on shakey ground.
    SUPERSTAR, the 28th Top 40 hit by the fractured super group, broke the Top 20 peaking at #18 with a ten week run on the Hot 100 [8 weeks Top 40.] More from their new Hitsville USA LP and new line up coming soon.

Biggest mover on the chart:
    NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN - Three Dog Night - 8 places up - #16 from #24.

New to the Top 40: 6 new songs three from newbies, one returning from way back :

Highest debut:

BLACK DOG - Led Zeppelin - #33 up 9 from #42 [3rd Top 40 hit]

STAY WITH ME
    - Faces - #35 up 11 from #46 [first Top 40 hit as headliner] [One Hit Wonder]

WITHOUT YOU - Nillson - #36 up 18 from #54 [4th Top 40 hit] [remake]
    FIRE AND WATER - Wilson Pickett - #37 up 14 from #51 [16th and final Top 40 hit]
    LOOKIN' FOR A LOVE - J Geils Band -#39 up 9 from #48 [*first Top 40 hit][remake]
    ME AND BOBBY McGEE - Jerry Lee Lewis - #40 up 3 from #43 [6th and final Top 40 hit][remake]

The Hot 100:
    Seven debuts, none from Motown, no proxies

#74 - BABY LET ME ROCK AND ROLL YOU - Ten Years After
    #76 - HURTING EACH OTHER - Carpenters
    #83 - OH ME OH MY - Aretha Franklin
    #91- JUNGLE FEVER - Chakachas
    #95 - MUSIC FROM ACROSS THE WAY - James Last
    #96 - ROCK AND ROLL STEW -Traffic
    #99 - Ajax Airlines - Hudson And Landry

Motown Debuts:
    none

2nd week ^ FLOY JOY - Supremes -#75 up 23 from #98
    6th week: ^ YOU MAKE YOUR OWN HEAVEN AND HELL RIGHT HERE ON EARTH - Undisputed Truth -#70 up 2 from #72
    6th week: ^WAY BACK HOME - Jr. Walker & The All Stars - #70 up 4 from #74
    9th week: SATISFACTION - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - #65 again this week
    off:
    none
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-24-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Billboard’s Hot 100/ Top 40
    Chart #3
    Part II

Jan. 15, 1972

the fun stuff:

Last week a good week for Isaac Hayes,
    this week even better:
    Last week on the Soul LPs chart, Isaac was at #2 and #3: with BLACK MOSES up one to #2 and the SHAFT ST at #3. This week each moves up one and Isaac Hayes currently has the nation's two best selling soul albums.

A good week for:
    Bobby Womack
    Bobby is moving up the Top 40 with his first visit there with THAT'S THE WAY I FEEL ABOUT 'CHA [#31 up six] [Top 10 Soul] while debuting this week is an old Valentinos [The Womack family of Cleveland Ohio] song, LOOKIN' FOR A LOVE, which featured the vocals of seventeen year old Womack in 1962, and now debuts the Massachusetts rock group, The J Geils Band. Bobby will re-embrace the song himself and will release it under his own name in a couple of years.

A very good week for 'B' sides:

Jerry Lee Lewis hits #1 on the country chart with WOULD YOU TAKE A CHANCE ON ME , but thanks to the record's 'b' side, Lewis' take on Kris Kristofferson's ME AND BOBBY McGEE , Jerry makes an unexpected visit to the Top 40 for the first time in eleven years.

And two 'b' sides to former Top 40 hits have now gone rogue to become self-standing hits in their own rights. The Carpenters #2 song, SUPERSTAR had as its 'b' side BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN which has become embraced by Adult Contemporary playlists and brings the song to #67 on the Hot 100 where it will peak. Meanwhile Aretha Franklin's piano rich OH ME OH MY [I'M A FOOL FOR YOU BABY] a cover of Lulu's Top 40 hit in 1970 [almost ignored in the UK] and then the 'b' side to ROCK STEADY [#8] has become its own charting title entering this week at #83.

Some solid Billboard support this week:

FOUR TOPS - A SIMPLE GAME [[2:49)
    - Powerhouse rhythm number with a potent lyric line has it to put the group way up the Hot 100
    and soul charts topping their "MacArthur Park" in short order. Could go all the way. Motown11
    "Could go all the way"!!

The Soul Sauce weekly column each week has its pick 45. This week:
    BEST NEW RECORD OF THE WEEK:
    "IN AND OUT OF MY LIFE" MARTHA REEVES & THE VANDELLAS
    Gordy
    A twice mentioned release this week by Holland Dozier
    Spotlighting new singles deserving special attention of programmers and dealers:

HOLLAND-DOZIER- Don't Leave Me [[3:13) [[Prod: Holland-Dozier-Holland)
    [[Writers: Holland-Dozier-Holland) [[Gold Forever, BMI)
    - The hit
    composers producers team up with a winning rhythm vocal workout that has it
    to make a heavy chart dent, pop and soul. Invictus 9110 [[Capitol)

one to keep an eye on.

A monster hit has developed in the UK, bumping out Benny Hill's ERNIE THE FASTEST MILKMAN IN THE WEST [now #2], all the way from #32 to #1:
    I'D LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO SING [IN PERFECT HARMONY] by The New Seekers.

George Harrison's three record set, CONCERT FOR BANGLA DESH advances to #4 on the LP chart from its #14 debut last week. More on it to come.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-24-2022 at 03:50 AM.

Billboard's Hot 100/Top 40
    Chart #4

January 22, 1972
    87 records reviewed this week.

Motown has not hit a stride going into 1972. Their main bright spot is a record breaking into the Top 10, however one other drops out. No new records from the label break the Top 40 or the Hot 100, the four same songs on the Top 40, three inching up slightly. Seven songs on the Hot 100, one less than last week.

The Top 10:

Mostly a log jam. The 4 top records are locked into place, repeating their positions of last week: AMERICAN PIE by Don McLean is at #1, Melanie's BRAND NEW KEY is #2 , Al Green's LETS STAY TOGETHER is #3 and SUNSHINE by Jonathan Edward's is #4, while Dennis Coffey's SCORPIO is #6 again as is The New Seekers TEACH THE WORLD repeating at #8. CLEAN UP WOMAN is the only song to advance within, rising from #10 to #8. Three new records enter: DAY AFTER DAY by Badfinger inserts itself into the middle of the mire at #5 up 9 from 14. YOU ARE EVERYTHING by The Stylistics enters the Top 10 at #9, finally, taking three months to do so. The Jackson Five arrive just in time to replace brother Michael's GOT TO BE THERE after many weeks on the Top 10 with SUGAR DADDY up two to #10 from #12, which keeps the long run of Motown singles in the Top 10 continuing.

The Top 40:

GOT TO BE THERE - Michael Jackson
    ^HEY BIG BROTHER - Rare Earth #19 up just 1 from #20.
    ^MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight -#30 up 2 from #32.
    Biggest Mover On The Chart:
    WITHOUT YOU by Nillson 15 place leap from #36 to #21

Short list of debuts. All songs getting second chances in way or another.

PRECIOUS AND FEW
    Climax - #34 up 9 from #43 [remake, first to chart][One Hit Wonder]
    JOY - Apollo 100 .#35 up 14 from #49 [remake, first to chart][One Hit Wonder]
    DON'T SAY YO DON'T REMEMBER - Beverly Bremers #37 up 9 from #46 [re-release][1st Top 40]
    HURTING EACH OTHER - Carpenters #38 up 38 from #76 [ remake , first to chart][6th Top 40]

The Hot 100:
    10 Debuts, two by proxy:

#68 DOWN BY THE LAZY RIVER -The Osmonds
    #77 SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU - English Congregation
    #78 WE'VE GOT TO GET IT ON AGAIN - Adrissi Bros.
    #80 MOVE 'EM OUT - Delaney & Bonnie
    #84 WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW - Roberta Flack
    #86 I WROTE A SIMPLE SONG - Billy Preston
    #87 NICKEL SONG - Melanie
    #90 I GOTCHA - Joe Tex
    #94 LOVE AND LIBERTY - Laura Lee [Hot Wax HDH Label]
    #95 GIMME SOME MORE - The J.B.s
    #96 SWEET BABY - Donnie Elbert
    #98 YOU REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME - Gayle McCormick [Top 10 1962 Smokey Robinson song]
    #99 -SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS - War
    #100 - STANDING IN FOR JODY - Johnny Taylor

No Motown debuts :

3rd week :^ FLOY JOY - Supremes -#48 up 29 from #77
    6th week: YOU MAKE YOUR OWN HEAVEN RIGHT HERE ON EARTH - Undisputed Truth #72 again.
    7th week: ^WAY BACK HOME - Jr Walker & The All Stars #52 up 16 from #68.

Off:
    SATISFACTION - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    40th Hot 100 hit peaked at #49 with a 9 week run. The third single from the group's current album, ONE DOZEN ROSES. They'll be in the studio soon recording their last Smokey album featuring two more Hot 100 charters.

A very good week for:
    George Harrison
    his project for Bangla Desh is now the #2 best selling LP in the country, wonderful news for generating money for the desperate people of the Southern Asia region. All proceeds being directed there, none of the volunteering performers from the concert are getting any type of pay.

It also is a good week as the Harrison produced Badfinger single catapults to #5.
    Which also makes for a good week for Badfinger and Bad band member Pete Ham, who wrote DAY AFTER DAY as well as another release that is turning into a massive hit. Nillson has culled a song from their 1970 LP and it is this weeks biggest mover on the Top 40: WITHOUT YOU, sometimes pointed to as an early 'power ballad'.

Instrumentals.
    There are two on the Top 40, repeating at #6 , its peak , is Dennis Coffey's SCORPIO. Recorded in Detroit but not Motown, like so many times prior for guitarist Coffee on many late sixties hits for The Temptations, Edwin Starr, etc.. SCORPIO is orchestrated by Coffey with Mike Theodore, they will in the future be charting disco successes such as the #1 DEVIL'S GUN ]

and debuting at #35 is JOY [JESU, JOY OF MAN'S DESIRING]
    by Apollo 100, a British ensemble, and after a two hundred year wait, there is now a Top 40 hit composed by Johann Sebastian Bach.

This week Billboard attends this concert:
    Talent In Action:

DAVID T WALKER
    TOMMY
    SHAW
    Ash Grove , Los Angeles

One of Motown's most respected session guitarists and now an artist in his own right with a debut album on Ode, young David T.Walker gives a live show that' s the ultimate in polished, mass-appeal soul musicianship. He is a virtuosoof both guitar fingering and electronics. His standing-ovation opening set at the Ash Grove was a hypnotic trip of almost raga-like
    textures. The show was opened by Tom-my Shaw, one of the Ash Grove's stable of pioneer blues men and a sturdy practitioner of the genre.Walker played with two enticing percussionists,
    his brother Clarence McDonald

on electric
    piano and organ and the redoubtable Charles Larkey on bass. The guitarist doesn't attempt to sing, except for his spectacular unisonguitar-vocals runs and he keeps his chatter down to a minimum.
    But he is easily able to project a likeable personality by his movements and expressions while playing.

NAT
    ER
    Like Dennis Coffee, Walker's guitar work can be heard on ample Motown recordings including ones by The Jackson Five, Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-05-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Chart #5
    January 29, 1972

72 records reviewed this week.

Motown's chart presence this week is again not outstanding. SUGAR DADDY is their best charter, Top 10 still, but it is repeating at #10 where it will likely peak. A new Motown song breaks the Top 40, FLOY JOY by The Supremes , but just barely, in at #40. No new releases from the label on the Hot 100, with one now missing from last week's count reducing the total to six .

The Top 10:

The log jam continues. All five of the Top 5 songs repeat their positions as do two others. Don McLean's AMERICAN PIE is now #1 for week three. It is a two part single split onto the 45's A and B sides, and when played in its entirety, as some stations are, the tune runs for 8:42.
    One new song breaks the Top 10: NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN by Thee Dog Night, their fourth in a row and second written by Hoyt Axton and lifted from his 1971 album JOY TO THE WORLD, #8 from #14. Out: The New Seekers TEACH THE WORLD TO SING #12 from #7. [ It is #1 again in the UK ]

The Top 40:

GOT TO BE THERE - Michael Jackson #31 a plunge from #15
    HEY BIG BROTHER - Rare Earth also plunges to #34 from #19.
    ^MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight #28 up 2 from #30

JOY - Apollo 100 - twenty point jump, #15 from #35 ,

Six songs of mainly new material debut:

Highest debut;
    DOWN BY THE LAZY RIVER - The Osmonds #32 up 36 from #68 - [4th Top 40 Hit]

FEELIN' ALRIGHT
    - Joe Cocker -#36 up 7 from #43 [Fifth Top 40][2nd Hot 100 charting]
    BANG A GONG [GET IT ON ] T-Rex #37 up 13 from #50 [One Hit Wonder]
    LION SLEEPS TONIGHT - Robert John - #38 up 11 from #49 [*First time artist] [remake]
    TOGETHER LETS FIND LOVE -5th Dimension - #39 up 6 from #45 [17th Top 40 hit] [live]
    FLOY JOY - Supremes #40 up 8 from #48 -[Fifth post Diana Ross Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

No Motown debuts, one proxy.

Chart cleansing this week with 17 new titles :

#60 - EVERYTHING I OWN - Bread
    #65 - MY WORLD - Bee Gees
    #71 - I CANT HELP MYSELF - Donnie Elbert -remake of Four Tops #1 smash of 1965
    #76 - COUNTRY WINE - Raiders
    #77 - SWEET SEASONS - Carol King
    #78 - IRON MAN - Black Sabbath
    #80 - UNTIL IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO GO - Elvis Presley
    #82 - THE WAY OF LOVE - Cher
    #86 - CRY - Lyn Anderson
    #88 - LOVE ME LOVE ME LOVE - Frank Mils
    #89 - RING THE LIVING BELL - Melanie
    #92 - BRIAN'S SONG - Michel Legrand
    #96 - MERCEDES BENZ - Goose Creek Symphony
    #97 - BEDTIME STORY - Tammy Wynette
    #98 - EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE - Bobby Vinton
    #99 - RUNAWAY/HAPPY TOGETHER -Tony Orlando and Dawn
    #100 - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER -Shirley Bassey

Motown Debuts: none
    8th week: WAY BACK HOME - Jr Walker & The All Stars - #52 again
    Off:
    7th week: YOU MAKE YOUR OWN HEAVEN RIGHT HERE ON EARTH - Undisputed Truth off from #72 last week. The Norman Whitfield sponsored group fails to make traction with this single trimmed from the epic 6:50 timed version from their sophomore LP FACE TO FACE WITH THE TRUTH.

A very good week for:
    Gold records , million selling singles: eight total
    More than half of the Top 10 singles are certified gold. AMERICAN PIE #1, BRAND NEW KEY #2, LET'S STAY TOGETHER #3, CLEAN UP WOMAN #6, SCORPIO #7, YOU ARE EVERYTHING #9,
    with two more on the Top 20: DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE #11 , FAMILY AFFAIR #18.

First time Top 40 charting compositions

Of the Top 40 songs, 38 titles have never appeared here before.
    The two repeats: HEY GIRL/I KNEW YOU WHEN - Donny Osmond.
    and THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT - Robert John [more on this song to come]
    Remarkable.

An article in Billboard this issue discusses with MGM Records president Mike Curb the way Isaac Hayes has taken Sammy Davis Jr under his wing and is trying to reinvent him. The two are appearing at performances together and Isaac has produced a project for Sammy in which Isaac has picked Davis for a personalized re-recording of the SHAFT hit under Isaac's direction.

excerpt:
    Hayes and Davis have recently been appearing together on night-club stages. Hayes made a surprise guest appearance New Year's Eve at the Sands where Davis was the headliner.....Sammy is ready to put the same effort into his recording career that he puts into his live talent act. MGM is aware of the image of the Frank Sinatra clan member and of the super club performer who works for adults.
    "Sammy is performing today with the finest contemporary musicians and his sound is very contemporary."- Curb says.
    The "Shaft" single is designed for multimarket coverage. MGM quietly released a middle of the road single by Davis recently titled "Candy Man" which was produced by Curb and Don Costa. The Hayes collaboration is a far removed project from"Candy Man" and Curb is quick to emphasize that the label is building a talent roster that reflects styles in in many fields.
    CANDY MAN mentioned almost in passing, while all bets seem to be on Isaac Hayes' magic touch sparking Sammy Davis dormant career ..... we'll see..

SoulSauce's

BEST NEW RECORD OF THE WEEK:
    "A SIMPLE GAME" FOUR TOPS
    Some songs go on to outlive their chart action in bigger ways than their charting would ever suggest. Two such songs from the UK are on the Hot 100 this week. Both are representatives of a genre that typically remains outside the pop charting fray, metal rock.

At #23, in its 6th Hot 100 week, up 4 from #27 and heading for a #15 peak:

Led Zeppelin’s BLACK DOG wil intentionally not be released in the UK as a single, a strategy to sell more albums. The curious title, apparently no more profound than a black dog's presence in the recording studio when a title was being imagined.

Hard rock , heavy metal, rock in general is gaining ground as witnessed on the LP charts. New radio formats found on a growing stereo band width called FM, are not committed to three minute songs and draw more from album tracks, [AOR, Album Oriented Rock formatting] are enabling this genre to flourish without depending on traditional Top 40 support.

Debuting this week on The Hot 100 at #78, IRON MAN [IRON BLOKE the working title], the Ozzy Osborne lead single by Black Sabbath, will be the band's most successful Hot 100 charter , peaking at #52:

This is the full-length, FM popular 5:56 LP version, the edited for Top 40 format single is trimmed to 3:33.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-19-2022 at 12:43 AM.

Chart #6
    Feb 5, 1972

79 records reviewed this week.

If Motown looked especially weak last week, what can be said about the label's performance this round. No momentum has developed in 1972, quite the opposite, the label continues to wane.
    Haven't kept track, but would be willing to bet that through all of 1971 Motown continuously had at least one song in the Top 10. For the longest while now, this has been true. No longer so starting this week - as SUGAR DADDY after two weeks at #10 , slips to #16. No other Motown record seems destined to fill the void anytime soon.
    Two other Motown songs advance up the Top 40 with no debuts there, but one premiers on the Hot 100 by veterans The Four Tops. Two charters fall away this week. Three songs on the Top 40 and two more outside it on the Hot 100, five Motown records charting.

The Top 10:

AMERICAN PIE by Don McLean remains firmly rooted at #1 for its fourth week. Edging closer to that top spot, Al Green's LETS STAY TOGETHER causes Melanie's BRAND NEW KEY to dip one to #3 from #2. Four new records, which is a most unusually high number, are penetrating the Top 10. At #5 Nillson's WITHOUT YOU up nine from #14. Up eight from #16 to #8 , PRECIOUS AND FEW by Climax. At #9 The Carpenters HURTING EACH OTHER from #13, and in at #10 Apollo 100/Bach's JOY.
    When four come in, four go out: CLEAN UP WOMAN Betty Wright now #11 from #6; down to #13 from#7- SCORPIO by Dennis Coffey, YOU ARE MY EVERYTHING [sic] by The Stylistics dip to #15 from #9, and SUGAR DADDY by the J5 is now #16 from #10.

The Top 40:

SUGAR DADDY
    - The Jackson Five - #16 down 6 from #10
    ^MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight #27 one nudge up from #28
    ^FLOY JOY - Supremes #33 from #40, a seven place increase , and Motown's biggest record this week.

off: GOT TO BE THERE Michael Jackson's debut single as a solo artist [with his brothers doing back up] produced by Hal Davis, spent 13 weeks on the Top 40 peaking at #4 [#1 in Cashbox][ #5 UK]. It will get cover versions by Smokey Robinson and Diana Ross. Michael's debut album, now in stores for a week bears the name of the single and contains a cut that will return Michael to the charts soon.

off: HEY BIG BROTHER the fifth Top 40 hit in a row for Rare Earth, but their lowest charter peaking at #19 [#40 Soul], and on the Top 40 for 7 weeks. They'll return to the Hot 100 soon, but not to the Top 40 for years, with a disco tune in 1978.

Biggest mover on the chart: DOWN BY THE LAZY RIVER - The Osmonds - Twenty place leap from #32 to #12.

Very light soul week on the Top 40, Al Green being the only artist charting on both the Top 10 and the Soul Singles chart where he is #1 again with LET'S STAY TOGETHER.

Never before: ?
    The Top 12 Soul Singles are holding their exact same positions as last week. At #13 is the first advancing 45: FLOY JOY from the Supremes up 8 from #21

Six new songs, half of them entering in their second week of being on the Hot 100

Highest debut:
    SWEET SEASONS - Carole King #35 up 42 from #77 [5th Top 40 hit]

FOOTSTOMPIN' MUSIC
    - Grand Funk Railroad #38 up 10 from #48 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    AIN'T UNDERSTANDIN' MELLOW - Jerry Butler and Brenda Lee Yeager #38 up 3 from #41 [One Hit Wonder as duo]
    MY WORLD - The Bee Gees #39 up 26 from #65 [11th Top 40 hit]
    EVERYTHING I OWN - Bread #40 up 20 from #60 [7th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:
    Eleven new entries, one Motown, one proxy

Highest Debut:
    #61 - HEART OF GOLD - Neil Young

#83 - LONESOME MARY - Chilliwack
    #85 - MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION - Paul Simon
    #87 - RUNNIN' AWAY - Sly & The Family Stone
    #92 - WHITE LIES - Grin
    #95 - NOW RUN AND TELL THAT - Denise Lasalle
    #96 - MR. PENGUIN Pt. I- Lunar Funk [aka The Counts] Detroit group
    #97 - A SIMPLE GAME - The Four Tops
    #98 - GET OUT OF BED - Livingston Taylor [James Taylor's brother]
    #99 - CHEER - Pot Liquor
    #100 - SHAKE OFF THE DEMON - Brewer And Shipley

Motown Debuts:
    1st week: A SIMPLE GAME - Four Tops - #97

9th week: WAY BACK HOME - Jr Walker & The All Stars -#57 down 5 from #52

off : none

A very good week for :
    Penguins , funky ones [with parts I and IIs]
    At #57 for a second week, Rufus Thomas with his DO THE FUNKY PENGUIN Pt. I, a spin off of his recent hit DO THE FUNKY CHICKEN, is aiming for a fourth Top 40 hit in a row. Suddenly hot, Rufus is a Stax staple since its inception, it was his successful stewardship of his daughter Carla's singing career that helped give the fledgling label some muscle with the single GEE WHIZ [LOOK AT HIS EYES].
    In 1963 Rufus reached the Top 10 with WALK THE DOG becoming the only father to debut there following his daughter's Top 10 charting with GEE WHIZ two years earlier. He is likely the charts' oldest act at age 54.

MR. PENGUIN
    Pt 1 by Lunar Funk, who are really The Counts when recording on a different label, formally The Fabulous Counts a mostly instrumental group formed in Detroit in 1968 :

Last week Honey Cone's ONE MONKEY DON'T STOP NO SHOW, was at #30 down from #17 after peaking at #15 [#5 R&B] before falling off this week: Honey Cone will return with their fourth hit off of their SOULFUL TAPESTRY album. ONE MONKEY is an elaborate eight minute song on the album, oddly interrupted by a contrived fade in the middle, giving it two parts that become the A and B sides of the 45.
    The song features many disco traits, opening with bongos that play throughout, prominent horns and an incessant banging piano, but most significantly the record features a "break' where all else drops out but the bongos with a beat per beat striking of a wood block and then one-by-one each instrumental component is brought back in, first the guitar, then the piano , the female backup , finally the blasting horns. Although not mandatory, the record's missing strings [and hissing high hat] is what most prevents it from being readily identified as [proto] disco.

What is developing from two sided party/dance 45s like these is the desire for spinners at house parties and dances to have two turntables enabling the DJ to play parts I and II in sequence without interruption. As two turntables become popular, so does the blending of chosen sequential records without any pauses. As this becomes increasingly in vogue, can disco DJing be far away?

Motown has a full-page ad in Billboard this week showing the four covers of the latest LP releases by Michael Jackson, The Temptations, The Undisputed Truth, and Gladys Knight and the Pips with a tag saying “you’ll be seeing more of No. 1 in 1972.”

Also there’s a full-page ad reading:

“EDWARD J. HOLLAND JR. presents a new label” - [MUSIC MERCHANT] -
    that shows the first single’s printed label by Brotherly Love - MAMA’S LITTLE BABY [LOVES LOVIN]
    and asks the question:
    WILL HISTORY REPEAT ITSELF ?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-02-2022 at 11:56 AM.

Chart #7
    February 12, 1972

75 records reviewed this week

Should anyone at Motown be getting a little worried? The label's downward slide on the charts continues. Their highest ranking single is in the Top 30, but just barely: The Supremes FLOY[D] JOY at #30. Below it, a Motown hit now on its way out, The Jackson's SUGAR DADDY at #32, these two are all the label has showing in the Top 40. Below that, another sinker, MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight and the Pips, now out of the Top 40 at #42. Then a vacant stretch by the label extends until #93 where the Four Tops score with A SIMPLE GAME. Four records total on the Hot 100, two of them climbing but neither are soaring.

The Top 10:

Bye Bye Miss AMERICAN PIE , Don McLean is no longer #1 after four weeks stationed there, Al Green gets a turn with LET'S STAY TOGETHER [although with no bullet] after an eleven week climb up the Hot 100. It's the Top 10's only soul record again this week, but it's the most popular one. [CLEAN UP WOMAN repeats at #11]. Six others in the Top 10 are bulleting upward, including this week's only debut, DOWN BY THE LAZY RIVER by The Osmonds, in at #7 from #12. Out and trading places, SUNSHINE by Jonathan Edwards to #12 from #7.

The Top 40:

^FLOY JOY - Supremes - #30 up 3 from #33
    the week's highest charting Motown record
    SUGAR DADDY - The Jackson Five - to #32 a dive from #16

SWEET SEASONS -Carole King a 19 point leap to #16 from #35

Just three new songs [a rarity], two from Americans , one Canadian:

Highest debut:
    THE WAY OF LOVE - Cher #29 up 13 from #42 - [7th Top 40 hit]

HEART OF GOLD
    - Neil Young#39 up 23 from #62 - [2nd Top 40 hit]
    I CAN'T HELP MYSELF [SUGAR PIE HONEY BUNCH] - Donnie Elbert #40 up 4 from #44 [2nd To 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Eight new records, none from Motown , no proxies.
    Highest Debut:
    #61 - TALKING LOUD AND SAYING NOTHING - James Brown

#66 - NO ONE TO DEPEND ON - Santana
    #71 - ROCK AND ROLL LULLABY - BJ Thomas
    #74 - BABY WON'T YOU LET ME ROCK AND ROLL YOU - Ten Years After
    #80 - HANDBAGS AND GLAD RAGS - Rod Stewart
    #88 - ROUNDABOUT - Yes
    #89 - GLORY BOUND - The Grass Roots
    #90 - STEP OUT - Mamas And Papas

Motown Debuts:
    none

2nd week: A SIMPLE GAME - Four Tops - #93 up 4 from #97
    9th week: MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight and the Pips - #42 down 15 from #27

off:
    9th week: WAY BACK HOME - Jr Walker & The All Stars
    - last week #57 this week off, with a 9 week run for the single, but just couldn't break through. 25th career single for Autry Dewalt Mixon Jr. born in Arkansas, schooled in Indiana, where in high school he picked up the saxophone which would become his trademark. Junior has already moved on with a new album, MOODY JR., released in December and the next single comes from it. It will chart shortly and will do better, but not by a lot.

A very good week for:
    Short Song Titles, three words or less

Seventeen songs on the Top 20 have titles of three words or less, the exceptions being:

#5 - NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN - 3 Dog Night
    #7 - DOWN BY THE LAZY RIVER - Osmonds
    #19 - DROWNING IN THE SEA OF LOVE - Joe Simon

There are four 45's with one-word titles, four with two-word titles, nine with three-word titles.

Donnie Elbert. After 15 years of trying , he is suddenly Hot 100 hot, with two songs charting upward:
    I CAN'T HELP MYSELF [SUGAR PIE HONEY BUNCH] -a Four Tops hit remake debuts in the Top 40 at #40, and at #92 moving up 2 from #94 in its fourth week is SWEET BABY released by Donnie's former label All Platinum.

Motown in this week's Billboard:
    The SOUL SAUCE column by Ed Ochs opens with a Motown focus
    as well as choosing a Motown song as best of the week.

Soul Sauce:
    BEST
    NEW RECORD OF THE WEEK:
    "TAKE
    A LOOK AROUND" THE TEMPTATIONS

By ED OCHS

SOUL SLICES: "Motown Madness" occurs when the Supremes, Gladys Knight, Martha Reeves [Check out the Motown women]!] and Four Tops shoot past the J-5 just as the Temps ["Take a Look Around"], Undisputed Truth ["What It Is"] and Originals ["Someone Who Cares"] ignite Jr. Walker's "Walk In the Night" and Gladys Knight's next hit "Can You Give Me Love With a Guarantee." Madness, you say? MoWest's first for the year, "I Want to Be Humble," by the Devastating Affair, won't relieve the hit pressure and Posse, an Eddie Kendricks group on VIP, boasts a Kendricks sound phenomenon "Feel Like Giving Up." And although the newies are fresh from the latest crop of LPs, the Temps and Undisputed disks have been remixed, if not reproduced and rearranged, for single play. Breathless? That seems to be about normal when "Motown Madness" is in the air. Well, maybe next year. Complaints and compliments should be sent to Gordon Prince, who Soul Sauce thanks greatly for the information.
    . . .
    The last couple of lines there a bit curious.

Isaac Hayes continues his chart stronghold with two Top 5 chart toppers. BLACK MOSES, his latest LP, is #1 on the SOUL LPs chart and the SHAFT ST rebounds there to #4 from #5. Both are double LPs totaling eight sides of music, but with few hits. Hayes' cover of the J5's NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE charted before SHAFT in 1971, peaking at #22 on the Top 40 and #5 Soul and will be BLACK MOSES' only charting cut. Heard on both his albums are The Bar-Kays , and with no album to support it, they have released a one-off 45 playing off the SHAFT theme:

Repeating at #54 for a second week of a slow nine week climb, SON OF SHAFT will peak at #53 [#10 R&B].

Mentioned last week , Rufus Thomas with DO THE FUNKY PENGUIN, up 2 to #45, is the most senior chart member at age 54.
    Dropping off the Hot 100 this week from #54 are runners up, The Bunkers , Archie and Edith, Carroll O'Connor [age 47] and Jean Stapleton [age 49], newcomers to the chart each, with the runaway hit sitcom, ALL IN THE FAMILY’s theme song. THOSE WERE THE DAYS drops off the Hot 100, just shy of making it to the Top 40, peaking at #43.
    After a rough start, with a rating of # 34 it’s first season, ALL IN THE FAMILY has caught on an now one year in, the show is America’s favorite and it will hold the # 1 title for a total of five seasons. The ‘husband and wife’ open each episode with a fresh rendering of the theme from behind the piano, sung before a live audience.

The charting single has added lyrics and times at 2:36.

"… songs that made the hit parade..."

Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-12-2022 at 03:17 AM.

Chart #8
    February 19, 1972

74 records reviewed this week

With no turnaround in sight, here's Motown's diminished standing for the week:
    Three songs on the Hot 100, one less than last week. No debuts on the Hot 100 or Top 40. One song on the Top 40, moving up, with a bullet.

The Top 10:

New #1. Al Green stuck it out long enough to get his turn at the top, but this week LET'S STAY TOGETHER returns to #2 and Nillson obtains the highest spot with WITHOUT YOU, up from #3. HURTING EACH OTHER by the Carpenters is the tier's biggest mover - to #3 from #6. Two new songs enter: THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT by Robert John is #9 from #14. At #10 jumping up 18 positions from #28 is Bread's EVERYTHING I OWN, making it this week's biggest chart mover. Off: DAY AFTER DAY by Badfinger vacates the number ten spot dropping two to #12. Melanie's former #1 song BRAND NEW KEY is #14 from #9.

The Top 40
    :

^FLOY JOY - Supremes - up five with a bullet from #30 to #25, Motown's biggest single currently.

Off:
    SUGAR DADDY - The Jackson Five - from #32 last week. After eight weeks and peaking at #10, the J5's 8th Top 40 hit in a row departs with a new single in the works to debut soon.

Five new titles, four from newbies, an attack of the longer song titles:

Highest Debut:
    JUNGLE FEVER - Chakachas #35 up 9 from #44 [*One Hit Wonder]

SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU
    - English Congregation #37 up 4 from #41 [*One Hit Wonder]
    MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION -Paul Simon #38 up 13 from #51 [* First time artist as soloist]
    RING THE LIVING BELL - Melanie #39 up 11 from #50 [4th Top 40 hit]
    YOU WANT IT YOU GOT IT - Detroit Emeralds - #40 up 3 from #43 [*First time artist]

The Hot 100:

Highest Debut:
    #66 COULD IT BE FOREVER -David Cassidy

#84- A HORSE WITH NO NAME - America
    #88 - DAY I FOUND MYSELF - Honey Cone - HDH act
    #89 - TAURUS - Dennis Coffey former Motown musician/ Funk Bro.
    #93 - [LOVE ME] LOVE THE LIFE I LEAD - Fantastics
    #94 - ONE WAY SUNDAY - Mark Almond
    #96 - WALKING UP ALONE [sic] - Paul Williams
    #97 - DA DOO RON RON - Ian Mathews
    #99 - TOGETHER AGAIN - Bobby Sherman
    #100 - TELL 'EM WILLIES BOYS A'COMIN' - Tommy James

Motown Debuts:
    none

3rd week: A SIMPLE GAME - Four Tops - #90 up 3 from #93
    10th week: MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight and the Pips -#48 down 6 from #42

Off: none

A very good week for:
    Top 10 songs derived from unlikely sources:

At #8 for a second week, JOY by Apollo 100, a British ensemble, [See Chart 4] is based on a composition by Johann Sebastian Bach, JESU, JOY OF MAN'S DESIRING written in 1723 as music for a German hymn from 1661.

At #9 advancing from #15 is THE LION SLEEPS TONIGHT by New Yorker Robert John [Pedrick] , was first made a hit with that title eleven years earlier by The Tokens in 1961 when it went to the top spot. Prior to that under the title WIMOWEH, The Weavers took it to #6 in 1952. The song has been recorded many times but it was first written in 1939 as MBUBE ['Lion' in Zulu] by South African singer Solomon Linda and recorded by him with the Evening Birds:

Disco watch:

Making their Top 40 debut, The Detroit Emeralds with YOU WANT IT YOU GOT IT, written by member Abrim Tilmon, the Emeralds started as a four brother [Tilmons] singing act out of Little Rock Arkansas. Now down to just two of the brothers joined by a longtime friend, the trio migrates to Detroit, with demos under arm, constructed by Willie Mitchell of Hi Records after a stopover in Memphis. Those cuts, featuring the tempo and bottom heavy structures that are making Al Green an instant star will be built upon at Westbound records. Added to it will be horns and strings by Johnny Allen [who was with Motown in its earliest years], noteworthy as the recent arranger of the energized THEME FROM SHAFT. The constant thumping beat and overall vibe is a sound that will influence Thom Bell's work with The Spinners and become part of the developing Philly sound about to take the music scene by storm.

Of special note in Billboard this week:

The magazine has spotted a new hopeful artist with his first album release now out:

"Producer Artie Ripp is back in the disk scene in a big way with this new composer producer who can easily prove to be the US answer to Elton John or a male Carole King, but with a style all his own Joel is a dynamic pianist and singer as well as a powerful composer. He opens with a plaintive ballad beauty : SHE'S GOT A WAY .... "

Joel being Billy Joel with his debut album COLD SPRING HARBOR. SHE'S GOT A WAY will be a Hot 100 hit ....but not this round, ...not until 1982.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-16-2022 at 10:06 AM.

Billboard's
    Hot 100/Top 40
    Chart #9
    February 26, 1972

Number of records reviewed this week :unknown*

In an attempt to address their slump, Motown offers a new release by relative newcomers Undisputed Truth, counting on the magic touch of producer Norman Whitfield to come through. It worked a year ago.

And what a difference a year makes. Last February Norman and The Temptations were running up the chart to #16 from #29 with JUST MY IMAGINATION on their way to #1. Also on the charts for Feb 26 , 1971:
    MAMA'S PEARL - Jackson Five at #2,
    IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN - Gladys Knight /Pips #23,
    REMEMBER ME
    -Diana Ross #31,
    WHAT'S GOING ON
    Marvin Gaye #49,
    as well as charters by The Originals and R Dean Taylor.

This same time this year, Motown has two songs on the Hot 100. The label's most flourishing act is The Supremes, now in the Top 20 with a strong move upward with FLOY JOY, the only Motown record on the Top 40. Joining them on the Hot 100, a new release finally enters at #84, as two Motown charters drop out.

The Top Ten:

WITHOUT YOU by Nillson stands firmly at the top for week two, with pressure from eight of the top ten advancing in that direction, The Carpenters are pressing the most at #2 with HURTING EACH OTHER. Al Green makes room for the action by dropping to #4 as does Three Dog Night by departing the top tier with NEVER BEEN TO SPAIN to #11. One single nudges in: Carole King's SWEET SEASONS #10 from #11.

The Top 40:

^FLOY JOY - Supremes - up 7 places with a bullet from #25 to #18, Motown's biggest single again this week.

Off: none

biggest mover on the chart:
    Neil Young's HEART OF GOLD surges 14 places from#27 to #13.

Six debuts, mostly by carry overs from the sixties:
    Highest Debut:
    I GOTCHA - Joe Tex #31 up 15 from #46 [8th Top 40 hit]

ROCK AND ROLL LULLABY - BJ Thomas #32 up 17 from #49 [12th Top 40 Hit]
    WE'VE GOT TO GET IT ON AGAIN - Addrisi Bros. #33 up 9 from #41 [*First Time Artist]
    RUNNIN' AWAY -Sly and the Family Stone - #35 up 10 from #45 [8th Top 40 Hit]
    NICKEL SONG - Melanie -#36 up 7 from #43 [5th Top 40 Hit]
    TALKING LOUD AND SAYING NOTHING -James Brown -#38 up 9 from #47 [37th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

16 New Entries, one from Motown , one proxy:
    Highest debut:
    #60 - PUPPY LOVE - Donny Osmond

#64 - IN THE RAIN - Dramatics
    #69 - DO YOUR THING - Isaac Hayes
    #78 - A COWBOYS WORK IS NEVER DONE - Sonny And Cher
    #79 - BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW - Stylistics
    #82 - DO WHAT YOU SET OUT TO DO - Bobby Bland
    #84 - WHAT IT IS - Undisputed Truth
    #85 - AFRO STRUT - Nite-Liters Produced by Harvey Fuqua, former Motown insider
    #88- NICE TO BE WITH YOU - Gallery
    #89 - LIVING WITHOUT YOU - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    #90 - UP IN HEAH -Ike & Tina Turner
    #95 - KEEP ON DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING - Bobby Byrd
    #97 - IT'S ALL UP TO YOU - Dells
    #98 - YOU GOT ME WALKING - Jackie Wilson
    #99 - YOUR PRECIOUS LOVE - Linda Jones
    #100 - WE'RE TOGETHER - Hillside Singers

4th week: A SIMPLE GAME - Four Tops - off from #90
    Hard to imagine a more disparaging result, after only three weeks on the Hot 100 and not able to climb out of the bottom rung. This from a record that was #3 in England, perhaps due mostly to its special value of having been recorded there and being associated with the Moody Blues.
    With this record the Hot 100 says goodbye to The Four Tops as a Motown act.

11th week: MAKE ME THE WOMAN THAT YOU GO HOME TO - Gladys Knight and the Pips - off from #48
    A modest sized hit for the group peaking at #27 and just five weeks on the Top 40. Another single from their STANDING OVATION is in the pipeline, and will bring a sizable hit for them in the UK for only the second time and not since 1967.

A very good week for:
    Melanie
    Or is it? She has two records on the Top 40 moving upward, RING THE LIVING BELL #34, and NICKEL SONG #36. But does Buddah's release of older material, cut into the play power of her most recent offering?

A very good week for:
    The Dramatics
    And about time. Formed in Detroit in 1964, briefly at first as the Sensations, by lead singer Ron Banks, the group released various singles on a number of labels and were a regularly performing vocal act centered in Detroit. They now have their first full album recorded and charting, WHATCHA SEE IS WHATCHA GET, that will be their biggest one peaking at #5 Soul and #20 Pop. The LP's title cut has already charted, reaching # 2 Soul and #8 on the Top 40.
    This week their third single from the LP, IN THE RAIN, jump-starts at an impressive #64 on the Hot 100, while the second single still lingers on the Soul chart in its eleventh week after a peak of #16, and #78 on the Hot 100:
    GET UP AND GET DOWN :

A dance record loaded with catch phrases that will be common in many upcoming disco tunes.

There are so many under performing releases to bring light to, that it's difficult to make room as well for some of the bigger records that pass through. Case in point: CLEAN UP WOMAN by Betty Wright. Now 14 weeks on the Hot 100 and at #26 in its final charting appearance, the 45 is a certified million seller peaking at #6. The hit, written by Clarence Reid, is on the small label Altson, run and owned by Henry Stone since 1964. This hit will put some money in the label's coffers and we'll be hearing much more of the expanding Miami sound in the not too distant future.

The song had an incredible 8 week run at #2 on the R&B chart , denied the top spot that entire time by one other record : Al Green's LET'S STAY TOGETHER.

Sometimes there are fun records that do just that ....make the Top 40 fun.

#1 in the UK:
    Out of left field, SON OF MY FATHER by Chicory - more on that release to come.

* Billboard is revamping some of their features. Their Singles Picks now just lists the latest 45's label information like time length and production credits without a summary of the song's sound or content. Also not showing is the number of 45s reviewed that week.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-19-2022 at 12:12 AM.

I friggin love "Clean Up Woman"

^ I agree Tom!
    ^ Thank you Heikki!

Chart #10
    March 4, 1972

Number of records reviewed this week :unknown

Norman saves the day, continued. Last week the Whitfield produced WHAT IT IS by The Undisputed Truth limped in at #84 [it continues to limp this week to #82] to fill the Motown void, while conversely, Norm's latest Temptation production enters this week at #62 as the Hot 100's highest debut. That and The Supremes single FLOY JOY, limping this week as well, is all Motown has going on. Three songs on the chart, one a debut, no drop offs.

The Top Ten:

Three weeks now for Nillson at #1 [also three weeks #1 on the Easy Listening chart], with the Richard Perry produced WITHOUT YOU, holding a tight pack at bay, only EVERYTHING I OWN by Bread is showing much momentum up to #5 from#8. Two new ones march in , HEART OF GOLD by Neil Young up 6 from #13 to #7, and up 4 from #14 to #10 is T Rex's BANG A GONG [GET IT ON]. Out: Former #1 AMERICAN PIE by Don McLean to #12 from #9 and JOY by Apollo 100 to #13 from #6.

The Top 40:

^FLOY JOY - Supremes - , buckling under the pressure, while still possessing the label's best performer, the hit has weakened, a one place advancement from #18 to #17 , and no bullet.

No Motown drop offs

Just four new Top 40 entries, none of them limpers:

Running way out in front, ahead of the pack:
    A HORSE WITH NO NAME - America #20 up 27 from #47 [*first time artist]

PUPPY LOVE
    - Donny Osmond #38 up 22 from #60 [4th Top 40 hit]
    ROUNDABOUT - Yes #39 up 9 from #48 [2nd Top 40 Hit , last in the 70's]
    IN THE RAIN - Dramatics #40 up 24 from #64 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100:

Thirteen records debut, one from Motown, one proxy

Highest debut:
    #62 - TAKE A LOOK AROUND -Temptations debut [from the Soul LP's Chart new #1 LP SOLID ROCK]

#68 - KING HEROIN - James Brown
    #76 - SUAVECITO - Malo
    #77 - THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE - Roberta Flack
    #78 - SON OF THE FATHER [sic] - Giorgio
    #79 - HEARTBROKEN BOPPER - Guess Who
    #84 - LOUISIANA - Mike Kennedy
    #85 - TINY DANCER - Elton John
    #90 - ROCK ME ON THE WATER - Linda Ronstadt
    #91 - CHANTILLY LACE - Jerry Lee Lewis
    #97 - SWEET SIXTEEN - B B KING
    #99 - SINCE I FELL FOR YOU - Laura Lee HDH artist
    #100 - BRANDY - Scott English

^1st Week: TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations #62 Debut
    ^2nd Week: - WHAT IT IS - Undisputed Truth - #82 up two from #84

A very good week for:
    James Brown
    with four records on the Hot 100, he has more going on than Motown! TALKING LOUD AND SAYING NOTHING is already at #30 in just four weeks, while KING HEROIN debuts highly at #68. A few issues back Billboard announced the involvement of James Brown in an anti-drug campaign and KING HEROIN is a part of that program. James Brown's team created the song around a poem written by Manny Rosen, a Deli server in Manhattan.
    Also on the Hot 100 at #72 after peaking at #67 is GIMMIE SOME MORE, written and produced by James Brown and performed by his backup band The JBs. Then at #92 is a fun tune by James Brown loyalist, 38 year old, Bobby Byrd, KEEP ON DOIN' WHAT YOU'RE DOIN'. Byrd wrote most of James' songs, after having discovered Brown in the late fifties.

Brownstone is a recently configured label by what seems like an unlikely pairing of James BROWN and Florida's Henry STONE [CLEAN UP WOMAN].

Not a good week for:
    Double-sided hit records. There are none charting.

Ten years ago Billboard included a weekly] special chart listing such 45s. For March 3, 1962, there were ten titles.

Billboard explained the chart this way:

DOUBLE-PLAY DISKS

Two-sided action may be expected from the following records . For the jukebox operator limited to from 100 to 200 sides per machine, they represent maximum programming effectiveness .Records listed below have both sides either on the Hot 100 or have recently been on the Hot 100. See Spotlight Reviews for additional Information on double.play disks.
    Jukeboxes factored greatly then and each week Billboard dedicated pages of print geared toward the enterprise [still does to a lesser degree.]

Last week we looked at Motown's Hot 100 charting exactly one year ago, this week, a look at ten years ago:

March 3, 1962:

#34 - THE ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU - Mary Wells - up 7 from #41
    #88 -PLAYBOY - Marvelettes - Debut

From this week's SOUL SAUCE column:

...labels like Eddie Holland's Music Merchant hit instantly as customers ask for "the
    new Jackson Five single," actually Brotherly Love's "Mama's Little Baby."
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-26-2022 at 02:56 AM.

Chart #11
    March 11, 1972

The Supremes again have Motown's top single with FLOY JOY climbing this week to #16 and Motown's only placement on the Top 40. The Temptations aren't far off from joining them and have the biggest gainer with TAKE A LOOK AROUND at #50, half way up the Hot 100 in just two weeks. And from the dependable Jackson family, this week's highest debut song on the Hot 100 is Michael Jackson's ROCKIN' ROBIN remake. The Undisputed Truth also climb some. Four records total charting. Motown on the rebound.

The Top 10:

Nillson's WITHOUT YOU is now #1 for its 4th week. Neil Young is closing in with HEART OF GOLD at #2, a five point jump from #7. A HORSE WITH NO NAME is a strong entry, already a hit in Britain, peaking at #3, now America is doing well in America , their first charter jumping 13 points from #20 to #7. Cher meanwhile returns to the top 10 for her 4th time, THE WAY OF LOVE coming in at #9 from #11. Out: SWEET SEASONS a short visit for Carole King reaching #9 for a week now #13. Al Green's former #1, LET'S STAY TOGETHER lets go of a long Top 10 run from #8 to #20.

The Top 40:

^FLOY JOY - Supremes - again this week the single moves up one point, from #17 to #16 and is again Motown's biggest charter.

No Motown drop offs

Six new Top 40 entries, 100% American from all over the country:

BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW
    - Stylistics - #34 up 26 from #60 [3rd Top 40 Hit]
    NO ONE TO DEPEND ON - Santana - #37 up 4 from#41 [5th Top 40 Hit]
    CRAZY MAMA -J.J. Cale - #38 up 4 from #42 [One Hit Wonder]
    TAURUS - Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band - #39 up 13 from #52 [2nd and final Top 40 hit]
    UNTIL ITS TIME FOR YOU TO GO - Elvis Presley - #40 up 3 from #43 [94th Top 40 Hit] many releases were two sided hits, each credited separately]
    A COWBOYS WORK IS NEVER DONE - Sonny & Cher - #33 up 26 from #59 [9th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

Twelve new records, one from Motown :

Highest Debut:
    #68 - ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson

#77 - MONEY RUNNER - Quincy Jones
    #78 - GIVE IRELAND BACK TO THE IRISH - Wings
    #81 - BE MY LOVER - Alice Cooper
    #82 - EVERY DAY - John Denver
    #90 - IF WE ONLY HAVE ONE - Dionne Warwicke
    #92 - SON OF MY FATHER - Chicory
    #96 - WILLPOWER WEAK TEMPTATION STRONG - Bullet
    #97 - CANDYMAN - Sammy Davis Jr
    #98 - YOU ARE THE ONE - Sugar Bears
    #99 - JOSIE - Kris Kristofferson
    #100 - TAXI - Harry Chapin

1st week - ^ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson #68 Debut
    2nd week - ^TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations #50 up 12 from #62
    3rd week: - ^WHAT IT IS - Undisputed Truth - #74 from 8 from #82
    no Motown drop offs

A very good week for:
    Sonny & Cher
    Alone Cher enters the Top 10 at #9 with THE WAY OF LOVE while together they have the week's highest chart entry with A COWBOYS WORK IS NEVER DONE at #33.

While SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU peaked at #4 in the UK [#1 South Africa] and was a strong hit internationally, it appears to have peaked in the US this week repeating at #29. The song is another world-wide hit by the writing team of the two Rogers, Cook and Greenaway, hot on the heels of their global smash I'D LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO SING.
    Recorded by the English group The Congregation, they have become The English Congregation as Mike Curb Congregation also recording a version.

The writing team of Cook / Greenaway will soon record a single of great disco significance, DOCTOR'S ORDERS by Sunny. That British version will go unknown in the US but Meco Monardo will pick it up and finesse it for an aspiring Carol Douglas at the same time he is concocting a danceable version of NEVER CAN SAY GOODBYE for Gloria Gaynor. The two songs will hit the airwaves and suddenly disco as it will now be called is off and running.

Nilsson's WITHOUT YOU is climbing the UK charts where it is now #3 aiming at #1, that position still held by SON OF MY FATHER by Chicory. Nilsson spotted the song when hearing it at a party thinking it was The Beatles, a good call since the song is by the British band Badfinger who are on Apple Records and the song was engineered by Beatles long-time producers Geoff Emerick and Mat Evans [Paul McCartney has called WITHOUT YOU the killer song of all-time]. It was an album cut only from their 1970 NO DICE LP.

Twenty-two years later the song will again become a top single internationally, debuting at #1 in the UK and staying there for four weeks as Mariah Carey's first #1 record there. In the US it will reach #3, released in January of 1994, one week after Nillson dies of a heart attack.

Ed Och's Soul Sauce column opens this week with:

SOUL SLICES:
    He
    walks in with tapes he's done with unknown artists that often sound better than Motown's best." says Gordon Prince about Motown's own Norman Whitfield, a constant creator. Which is one reason why plans are underway for Whitfield Records later this year, tapping a fountain of fresh talent ideas from the artist's artist who has perfected one of the cleanest sounds anywhere
    on the Temps, Undisputed Truth, Edwin Starr and on. Whitfield has already bought a home in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles, with Smokey and the rest of Motown's creative department so on to follow, joining Suzanne dePasse, who's busy building MoWest into the
    pride of Motown. She was responsible for Michael Jackson's "Got to Be There" LP. Taking the wake of the Devastating Affair's gathering "I Want to Be Humble" will be the Sisters Love, Frankie Valli,
    Commodores and plenty more ,as back in Detroit, Marvin Gaye is finishing up his Afro-soul album [his first since "What's Going On" in early '71). and Edwin Starr checks in with his latest."Take Me
    Clear Out of Here."
    Looks like Whitfield now has one foot out the door.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-05-2022 at 01:48 AM.

Chart #12
    March 18, 1972

The Supremes took the Smokey Robinson written and produced FLOY JOY as high as they could last week, to #16. This week while it dips significantly to #24, it maintains its status as Motown's most popular single of the week. The Temptations join them on the Top 40, just barely, as does Michael Jackson with his ROCKIN' ROBIN, as this week's highest debut. Three songs in the Top 40 with another struggling out of reach. No drop offs. Motown can call this a good week.

Nillson after four weeks at #1 now drops to #4 with WITHOUT YOU, making room for Neil Young's HEART OF GOLD a softer sound for him suiting his troubling back injury at the time. In the background is James Taylor and Carly Simon, and Neil plays guitar and harmonica parts. Bob Dylan says the song sounds like him. Just below that, A HORSE WITH NO NAME by America by way of the UK. Two songs enter the top rung: at #6 from #12 MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION by Paul Simon and at #9 from #11, the Paul Anka penned PUPPY LOVE by Donny Osmond. Dropping out and feeling the pain of not quite reaching #1 yet again, just shy at #2, HURTING EACH OTHER by The Carpenters. Banging a gong got them on the Top 10, this week T Rex 's GET IT ON drops to #14 from #10 [its peak].

The Top 40
    :

FLOY JOY - Supremes #24 down 8 from their peak last week of #16
    ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson #33 - DEBUT
    TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations #40 - DEBUT
    off: none

Biggest mover on the chart {tie}:
    Ten places each:
    IN THE RAIN - Dramatics #17 from #27
    A COWBOY'S WORK IS NEVER DONE - Sonny And Cher #23 from #33

Just four songs debut, all American, half Motown.
    Highest Debut:
    ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson - #33 up 35 from#68 - [2nd Top 40 Hit]

GLORY BOUND - Grass Roots - #35 up 8 from #43 - [13th Top 40 Hit]
    EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE - Bobby Vinton - #39 up 6 from #45 - [27th Top 40 Hit]
    TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations - #40 up 10 from #50 - [27th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

11 new entries, none from Motown, no proxies

Highest Debut:
    #58 - DAY DREAMING - Aretha Franklin

#77 - ROCK AND ROLL - Led Zeppelin
    #78 - VINCENT - Don McLean
    #80 - DOCTOR MY EYES - Jackson Browne
    #87 - JUMP INTO THE FIRE - Nillson
    #90 - RUN RUN RUN - Jo Jo Gunne
    #94 - HEARSAY - Soul Children
    #97 - TO GET TO YOU - Jerry Wallace
    #98 - THANK GOD FOR YOU - PG&E
    #99 - ROCKIN' WITH THE KING - Canned Heat
    #100 - NUT ROCKER - Emerson, Lake and Palmer

4th week: - ^WHAT IT IS - Undisputed Truth - #73 up 1 from #74
    no drop-offs

A very good week for:
    The Osmonds
    As they cross paths on the chart, DOWN BY THE LAZY RIVER dips to #10 from #4, while brother Donny solos up to #9 with a Sid Feller [Ray Charles' long time producer] production of PUPPY LOVE, the family franchise has two records in the Top 10, a very good state of family affairs.

Movie scores have always been a reliable source for providing chart successful tunes. This week Quincy Jones is at #72 in his second week with a SHAFT-like instrumental from a Richard Brooks comedy DOLLARS, starring Goldie Hawn and Warren Beatty. It is Jones' 28th movie score since his first in 1965.

Meanwhile, for a second time, Shirley Bassey has recorded the theme song for a James Bond movie, the latest, DIAMOND ARE FOREVER, hoping to repeat a similar outcome from recording GOLDFINGER'S theme in 1964: a Top 10 hit [#8], and the only Top 40 charter of her career thus far since 1956. DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER is #57 for the second week:

Not much Motown action in Billboard magazine this week, Soul Sauce mentions:

Check out the "new" Temptations at the
    Copa 'til Wednesday [[22) and before starting a month-long European tour, Tuesday
    [[28)....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-10-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Chart #13
    March 23, 1972

Motown improves. Three songs on the Top 40, one is this week's biggest mover, five songs total on the Hot 100 including this week's highest debut. No drop offs.

The Top 10:

A quick turn at the top for Neil Young, one week there and now HEART OF GOLD dips to #2 while a HORSE WITH NO NAME by America takes the lead. The top rung's strongest single : PUPPY LOVE by Donny Osmond from #9 to #4.
    The typical pattern of two new entries into the Top 10, at # 8 up from #11 Chakacha's JUNGLE FEVER and at #10 from #14, Joe Tex' I GOTCHA. Dropping off to make precious room, Climax' PRECIOUS AND FEW and also down, DOWN BY THE LAZY RIVER by The Osmonds , one place to #11.

The Top 40:

Motown:

^ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson#14 up 19 from#33 , the Top 40s biggest mover.
    FLOY JOY - Supremes #28 down 4 from #24
    ^ TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations #33 up 7 from #40

drop offs : none

Six titles All American again, except one, and three big movers.

Highest Debut:
    THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE - Roberta Flack #17 up 25 from #42 [*First time artist as soloist]

DAY DREAMING - Aretha Franklin #32 up 24 from #58 [26th Top 40 Hit]
    GIVE IRELAND BACK TO THIS IRISH - Wings #37 up 26 #63 [1st Time Artist as 'Wings" [Paul McCartney]
    THE DAY I FOUND YOU WAS THE DAY I FOUND MYSELF [sic] -Honey Cone #38 up 7 from #45 [4th and Final Top 40 Hit]
    COULD IT BE FOREVER - David Cassidy #39 up 2 from#41 [2nd Top 40 Hit as soloist]
    DO YOUR THING - Isaac Hayes - #40 up 3 from #43 [5th Top 40 Hit]

10 titles, one from Motown, no proxies

highest debut:
    #74 - HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight And The Pips

#78 - BABY BLUE - Badfinger
    #79 - THE FAMILY OF MAN - Three Dog Night
    #86 - I HAD IT ALL THE TIME - Tyrone Davis
    #89 - POOL OF BAD LUCK - Joe Simon
    #90 - LEGEND IN YOUR OWN TIME - Carly Simon
    #94 - YOU COULD HAVE BEEN A LADY - April Wine
    #98 - HOT ROD LINCOLN - Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen
    #99 - ASK ME WHAT YOU WANT - Millie Jackson
    #100 - JUBILATION - Paul Anka

Motown:
    1st week: - HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight And The Pips #74 DEBUT
    5th week: - ^WHAT IT IS - Undisputed Truth - #71 up 2 from #73

no drop offs.

A very good week for:
    being in the rain

The Dramatics move into the #1 spot on the Soul Singles chart with IN THE RAIN [#13 Top 40] replacing Joe Tex' I GOTCHA, while at the other end of the chart, in at #48 is WALKING IN THE RAIN WITH THE ONE I LOVE by Love Unlimited. Barry White has arrived.

Also a good week for:
    repeated joy
    Side by side on the chart this week JOY by Apollo 100 at #27 and FLOY JOY by the Supremes at #28

The charts have been lacking in competitive versions of the same song, currently there is a curious one. After three weeks at #1 in the UK, SON OF MY FATHER by Chicory Tip falls off to Nillson's WITHOUT YOU. It is now on the Hot 100 , but struggling at #92, the group renamed in the states as simply Chicory. Doing better, at #54 with a bullet in its fifth week is SON OF MY FATHER by Giorgio, as in Giorgio Moroder who will soon have a disco empire churning out music out of Munich, Germany, most notably with Donna Summer. SON OF MY FATHER was released in Germany by Moroder in 1971 , but it went mostly unnoticed. The record was heard by a sound engineer in England who persuaded Chicory Tip to record it. It has remained a regional hit [the UK only] where it has reached #1, and although it appears to be struggling in the USA, as Giorgio himself steals some of the thunder, it is the Chicory Tip version that will go on to be a world-wide hit often reaching #1 [Spain, Argentina, S. Africa]. Although denied having his name up in lights globally, as the tune's author, Giorgio now has his future endeavors financed.

Noteworthy too, the strange instrument being played , a moog synthesizer , the UK's first #1 record to feature it.

Interesting to watch various records as they progress on the charts, some come on strong and stay strong like AMERICAN PIE , others come on strong then crash and burn like SWEET SEASONS and then there are the ones that plug along riding the charts week after week, into months, never reaching full potential. Often it is a case of lacking national coordination, the record is played in different markets at different times extending the record's chart life as it travels about on the airwaves. One in particular is Jerry Butler's AIN'T UNDERSTANDING MELLOW, now a member of the 4 month club*, it has taken it that long to finally reach #22. This record will be certified gold next. The 45 comes from Bulter's SAGITARIUS LP where he includes Brenda Lee Eager from his backup singers Peaches to be featured on the one cut.

This is Butler's 15th time to the Top 40 since 1958, Eager's only appearance and Jerry's final. He will sign to Motown and during two years while there pump out four solo albums and two more dueting with Thelma Houston .

From Ed Ochs: {reads as a bit unraveled}:

SOUL SLICES: For those of us with nothing better to do than compare Hot Wax and Invictus, here's the latest score. Honey Coneone, Capitol nothing. But wait, here's Invictus with LPs offering "Invictus' Greatest Hits," "Best of Freda Payne," the Chairmens'
    "Bitter Sweet" and General Johnson's "Generally Speaking." Cookin' singles like the Glass House's "Giving Up the Ring" and Capitol's own Persuasions do not a Buddah make, though. ... and a corner -turner at 100,000 pieces by Brotherly Love on Music Merchant join Hot Wax's 100 Proof at the soul supper table, so you know who's doin' a lot of cookin'. .. .Breaking
    from Stevie Wonder's new "Music of My Mind" album, "Love Having You Around." As for the Motown Sound, no sweat, just plenty of numbers. Gladys Knight's "Help Me Make It Through the Night" has really hit the fan, despite the tune's so soon revival, and was
    last seen passing the quarter million mark. The Temps and Mike Jackson are out of sight. Edwin Starr's "Clear From Here" is in the hands of the jury. and Jr. Walker just keeps on ticking. Now here comes the Sisters Love with a bluesy "Mr. Fix -It Man." Martha Reeves, in and out of our lives, is in again, with an album of "Black Magic . "
    Review of Stevie Wonders latest release MUSIC OF MY MIND :

Stevie Wonder albums are
    always an adventure as he continues to develop his music in many directions.This entire package is a showcase for the genius of Wonder. Recommended cuts "I Love Every Little Thing About You," "Love Having You Around" and "Happier Than the Morning Sun." His finest LP to date

*there are three Hot 100 four month club members this week:

AINT UNDERSTANDING MELLOW by Butler/Eager second week at #22, 16th week in.
    AMERICAN PIE
    by Don McLean#22 in its 18th chart week
    PRECIOUS AND FEW
    by Climax, still in the Top 10 their 16th week, this week now #12 in their 17th.
    next week two more will join them:
    WITHOUT YOU
    by Nillson while still in the TopTen
    and the sleeper DON'T SAY YOU DON'T REMEMBER [#15 peak] by Beverly Bremers produced by Charlie Calello who will provide disco hits for Dr Buzzard and Odyssey.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-13-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Chart #14
    April 1, 1972

68 singles reviewed this week: last week: 60*

Motown can celebrate their return to the Top 10 thanks to the Jackson leg of the company. But otherwise, not a lot else to celebrate. One less song on the Top 40 this week , down to just two, with a most promising one last week slowing down without a bullet. Another Motown title drops off the Hot 100, while a new debut replaces it.
    Four songs total on the Hot 100 this round.

The Top 10:

America's A HORSE WITH NO NAME remains #1 for a second week. Neil Young's HEART OF GOLD holds at #2. Not a strong week, only I GOTCHA' by Joe Tex, with a big jump from #10 to #6 is moving within the Top 10 with a bullet. Both Top Ten debuts, Michael Jackson's ROCKIN' ROBIN', #14 to #9, and Roberta Flack's THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, with a big leap from #17 to #10, have bullets. Off: THE WAY OF LOVE by Cher [more on that title next week] from#7 to #13, and Bread's EVERYTHING I OWN, slips to #12 from #9.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^ ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson#10 up 4 from #14 .
    ^ TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations #30 up 3 from #33

Off:
    FLOY JOY - Supremes drop off from #28 last week, the fifth Top 40 hit for the post Diana Ross Supremes, 9 weeks on the Top 40 and peaking at #16, the exact peak as their last hit, but this time charting one week longer. FLOY JOY is the title track from the not yet released 25th studio album by The Supremes, this time produced and written by Smokey Robinson. The Supremes are in a precarious point of transition at this time resulting in the album cover featuring a photo of the threesome that does not accurately reflect the three that are actually singing inside.
    Another cut from the LP is on the way later this year.

Five debuts this week, once again all American , mostly West Coast:
    Highest debut:
    SUAVECITO - Malo #32 up 17 from #49 [One Hit Wonder]

VINCENT - Don McLean #35 up 18 from#53 [2nd Top 40 Hit]
    THE FAMILY OF MAN - Three Dog Night #36 up 43 from #79 [13th Top 40 Hit]
    SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS - War -#39 up 2 from #41 [2nd Top 40 Hit]
    KING HEROIN - James Brown #40 up 4 from# 44 [38th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

Quite a house cleaning, 17 new titles, one from Motown and two by proxy:

Highest Debut:
    #44 - LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE FOR ME - Al Green

#67 - LET'S STAY TOGETHER - Isaac Hayes
    #75 - LAY-AWAY- Isley Bros. former Motown act
    #77 - [LAST NIGHT] I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP AT ALL - Fifth Dimension
    #78 - MORNING HAS BROKEN - Cat Stevens
    #83 - COTTON JENNY - Anne Murray - #83
    #86 - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker -#86
    #87 - JAMBALAYA - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - #87
    #88 - BACK OFF BOOGALOO - Ringo Starr -#88
    #89 - MISTER CANT YOU SEE - Buffy St Marie -#89
    #90 - AM I LOSING YOU - Partridge Family- #90
    #95 - ALL HIS CHILDREN - Charley Pride - #95
    #96 - EVERYTHING GOOD IS BAD EVERYTHING BAD IS GOOD - 100 Proof [Aged In Soul] HDH act
    #97 - WALKING IN THE RAIN WITH WITH ONE I LOVE - Love Unlimited
    #98 - SIMPLE SONG OF FREEDOM - Buckwheat
    #99 - SCHOOL TEACHER - Kenny Rogers and the First Edition
    #100 - SYLVIA'S MOTHER - Dr Hook & The Medicine Show

Motown:
    1st Week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker -#86 DEBUT
    2nd week: - ^HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight And The Pips #59 up 15 from #74

Off:
    6th week: WHAT IT IS - Undisputed Truth - off from #73

A fourth of the way up the Hot 100 is all the third charter from the Norman Whitfield vocal ensemble could muster [#35 Soul] this time out. By the end of the year they'll have a new one charting from a new album, their third.

A very good week for:
    Al Green.
    Al has the Hot 100's highest debuting 45 this week with LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE FOR ME coming in just shy of the Top 40 at #44 and a reprise of his big hit LET'S STAY TOGETHER by likewise Memphis based Isaac Hayes is the next highest new record at #6. A surprising entry considering Isaac is not vocally heard on this easy listening instrumental.

From Billboard's Soul Picks, under 'also recommended':

COMMODORES - The Zoo [The Human Zoo) [3:16)
    [prod: Pam Sawyer &
    Gloria Jones) [writers: Sawyers - Jones)
    [
    Jobete, BMI) MOWEST 5009
    [Motown]
    A passing mention of this new and yet unproven act on the Motown roster:

This first release, in the hands of Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones, by the future super group will go entirely unnoticed with zero chart action in the US, however it will hit #44 in the UK. The Commodores first studio album is still a couple of years away. It will include THE ZOO and a song called THE BUMP, a nod to the dance craze that helps herald in the disco era.

Another song that never charted , as it was from an album never released, is by the Supremes from their PROMISES KEPT LP, a project with several producers and writers. That LP was scrapped in its entirety, and Smokey Robinson brought in to replace it altogether with another, FLOY JOY:

No singles resulted from PROMISES KEPT but perhaps had the LP been issued, this cut would have been chosen:

A monumental future disco song by Gloria Gaynor, this secret version was the first delivered from a female perspective. Written by Clifton Davis it was originally intended for The Supremes.

Of interest from Billboard:

U.K. Record -Breaking
    '71 113.1 Million Sales

By RICHARD ROBSON
    Staff Member, Music Week

LONDON - The British record industry had its best year in 1971. According to the latest figures to be released by the Department of Trade and Industry, sales amounted
    to $113.1 million compared with $101.4 million in 1970 - an increase of 11 percent - and $83.6
    million in 1969. Of the total figure, exports accounted for $16.6 million-a drop
    of one percent over the value of exports in 1969. Production of records last year hit a new peak with a total of 121 million disks pressed- a seven percent increase over 1970. For the
    second year running, production of singles showed a slight increase- up from 47 million in 1970 to 48.2 million- while there was another fairly big jump in the number of
    LP's pressed-up from 65.8 million in 1970 to 72.3 million.
    Production and sales of records during December were also the highest ever recorded for a single month. A total of 12.3million units were pressed during the month -5.5 million singles and 6.8 million albums -13 percent up on December, 1970. Sales for the month were worth $14.1 million - a 16 percent increase of the same period the previous year-of which
    exports accounted for $1.5 million.

*After the redesign of Billboard's singles review section with the elimination of the information, this week it's back.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-19-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Billboard's
    Hot 100/Top 40
    Chart #15
    April 8, 1972

number of singles reviewed this week: not reported

Aiming for #1, Michael Jackson's ROCKIN' ROBIN is at #5 this week four up from #9 in just five weeks. An additional Motown record makes the Top 40 with a big move to get there, while there's a Motown chart shocker, The Temptations' TAKE A LOOK AROUND drops from #33 to #39 , barely remaining on the Top 40 only three weeks in. With no records dropping off and one additional arrival, Motown is charting with five songs on the Hot 100 this week.

The Top 10:

3rd week for the nameless HORSE at #1 in America, also third week for Neil Young's HEART OF GOLD at #2 after reaching #1. Michael Jackson has a big move upward from #9 to #5 but Roberta Flack outdoes him, THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE zips from #10 to #3. Just one song enters, IN THE RAIN by The Dramatics at #9 from #11 forcing out Nilsson's WITHOUT YOU from#7 to #17. Half the Top Ten are also on the Soul Singles chart.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^ ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson #5 up 4 from #9.
    ^HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips #38 DEBUT
    TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations #39 surprise plunge down 9 from #30

Biggest mover on the chart, ten places:
    VINCENT - Don McLean #25 up 10 from #35

Five new ones, all strong advancers from mostly American acts:

Highest debut:
    DOCTOR MY EYES - Jackson Browne 24 up 17 from 41 [*first time artist]

BABY BLUE - Badfinger -26 up 16 from 42 [4th and final Top 40 Hit]
    JUMP INTO THE FIRE - Nillson 32 up 19 from 51 [fifth Top 40 Hit]
    LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE FOR ME - Al Green 33 up 11 from 44 [3rd To 40 Hit]
    HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips #38 up 21 from #59 [14th Top 40 Hit]

The Hot 100:

Nine New Entries, one from Motown:

Highest debut:
    #63 - I'LL TAKE YOU THERE - Staple Singers

#80 - OH GIRL - Chi-Lites
    #83 - WHAT'D I SAY - Rare Earth
    #84 - I SAW THE LIGHT - Todd Rundgren
    #89 - LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER - Andy Williams
    #90 - ME AND JULIO DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD - Paul Simon
    #94 - EVE- Jim Capaldi
    #96 - YOU WERE MADE FOR ME - Luther Ingram
    #100 - DON'T EVER TAKE AWAY MY FREEDOM - Peter Yarrow

Motown:
    1st Week: - WHAT'D I SAY - Rare Earth - #83 DEBUT
    2nd Week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker - #81 up 5 from #86
    No drop offs,

A very good week for:
    Nillson:
    Still riding high in its 17th week on the Hot 100, WITHOUT YOU is just this week dropping from the Top 10 to #17, as a second cut from his Nillson Scmillson LP, his self-penned JUMP INTO THE FIRE joins WITHOUT YOU on the Top 40 at #32. Meanwhile WITHOUT YOU maintains its #1 position in Britain, now at week four of five weeks at the top.

Cher trades chart places with herself this week as she and her husband's A COWBOY'S WORK IS NEVER DONE moves up to #13 from #16, with THE WAY OF LOVE falling from that spot to ...#16. THE WAY OF LOVE is a noteworthy Top 10 single both for its brevity [2:29] and for its subtle twist in the story line with this revealing lyric at the end:
    What will you do/When he sets you free/Just the way that you/Said good-bye to me
    .... meaning Cher is either addressing another woman or a gay man in the narrative.

Let the moaning and groaning begin: The Chakachas JUNGLE FEVER.
    Not since Serge Gainsburg's French release of JE T'AIME MOI NON PLUS in the late sixties has a record so explicitly mimicked sexual pursuit, and once again gets itself banned in the UK in the process. While popular elsewhere, including significantly Belgium, Gainsburg's naughty tryst peaked on the Hot 100 at just #58, while the bongo rich JUNGLE FEVER has broken the airwaves barrier and has become a Top 10 hit, now in its third week at #8 [#11 peak R&B] and certified gold in sales. A New York Latin band, Bario, has been hired to tour as Chakachas, masking the reality that the composition was created by middle-aged and married studio musicians fooling around in Belgium:

A One Hit Wonder, but rereleased as JUNGLE FEVER '75 it gets a reissue [with a wild 'b' side] for an attempted encore as disco explodes.

....more ohhhs and ahhs in music will soon be increasingly heard becoming a popular proclivity in a list of disco recordings, most famously by Donna Summer.
    Her producer guru, Giorgio Moroder, dips to #50 this week after peaking at #46 with SON OF MY FATHER, just shy of the Top 40. He will continue to put out records under his name but his success will be in the producing of others .

Page One in Billboard this week:

LP RELEASES UP, 45'S DIP
    NEW YORK- Based on a
    count of Billboard record re-
    views, figures show that singles
    released in 1971 totaled 5,372,
    down 5.5 percent from 5,685
    in1970. Albums released in
    1971 totaled 4,277, up 6.5 per-
    cent from 4,016 in1970.

Also a full page ad introducing a new label:

"Chelsea is more than a new label.
    It's a new record company.!"
    - Wes Farrell

Introducing our first release
    Wayne Newton

DADDY DON'T YOU WALK SO FAST
    Wayne Newton might seem an iffy gamble for launching a new label, he's only charted Top 40 twice, the last time seven years ago with a remake of the 1940's hit RED ROSES FOR A BLUE LADY peaking at #23. Chelsea is banking on Newton's interpretation of the European hit by Englishman Daniel Boone, who'll himself arrive to the Hot 100 later this year with a different title .

Finally, two issues ago Ed Och's weekly Soul Sauce article seemed a bit off. Some of it was presented here in Chart 12. Last week's Soul Sauce column was missing Ed Och's byline. No author was credited. This week the column is credited to Juliar Coleman as it will be from here on. No explanations given.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-29-2022 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Cher trades chart places with herself this week as she and her husband's A COWBOY'S WORK IS NEVER DONE moves up to #13 from #16, with THE WAY OF LOVE falling from that spot to ...#16. THE WAY OF LOVE is a noteworthy Top 10 single both for its brevity [2:29] and for its subtle twist in the story line with this revealing lyric at the end:
    What will you do/When he sets you free/Just the way that you/Said good-bye to me
    .... meaning Cher is either addressing another woman or a gay man in the narrative.
    Maybe everyone involved was bisexual!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Maybe everyone involved was bisexual!!!!!
    hmmm, possibly.

But shouldn't the song's opening line then be,
    when you meet a boy....or a girl..... that you like a lot" ....
    ?

Chart #16
    April 15, 1972

Six records from Motown on the Hot 100 this week, one more than last week, just one with a bullet as Michael Jackson inches toward #1 with ROCKIN' ROBIN. The others inching along as well, Gladys Knight stalls in just her second week on the Top 40 while The Tempts dip just out of the Top 40 as nothing additional from the label currently seems likely to reach a Top 40 ranking, settling instead within the lowest rungs.

The Top 10:

One of the most unlikely records to become #1 in the year 1972, has just done so.
    Roberta Flack's slow-paced, 4:20 length THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE has taken just seven weeks on the chart to land at #1, seemingly an instant hit, but that's three years after it was recorded, and 15 years since the song was first written. Discovered by Clint Eastwood who wanted to use it in a movie, it was trimmed and then released as a single, and embraced by the Easy Listening crowd where its now been #1 on that chart for three weeks. More on this single to come.

After three weeks at #1 on this chart, the hastily written song A HORSE WITH NO NAME by America, created almost as a joke, performed to satisfy their label [Warner] who felt the band's already released debut album didn't contain the proper introductory tune for them, now drops. A HORSE WITH NO NAME, describing a Salvador Dali painting, was recorded in England where it was released back in November peaking at #3. Two months later America arrives to America where in just six weeks [despite some radio resistance to the possible horse/heroin connection and the possible drug tripping narrative of the song], they catapult to #1 and their debut hit now begins its descension, stopping first at #2.
    Very active Top 10, no record is static as they all move up or down. .Three songs break the barrier each moving up three to do so, three out.

Stylistic's BETCHA BY GOLLY WOW enters at #8 from #11, at #9 from #12 is DAY DREAMING by Aretha Franklin, her fourth Top Ten in a row, and at #10 from #13 is Sonny and Cher's A COWBOY'S WORK IS NEVER DONE. They replace Chakacha's JUNGLE FEVER to #14 from #8, Robert John's remake of THE
    LION SLEEPS TONIGHT is at #12 from #10, and Paul Simon's reggae tinged MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION, recorded in Jamaica with Cissy Houston heard in its backing, is at #11 from #7 after peaking at #4.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^ ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson #4 up 1 from #5 .
    ^ HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips #36 up 2 from #38
    off:
    TAKE A LOOK AROUND - Temptations #41 down 2 from #39

Six new songs mostly American, three #1 bound:

BACK OFF BOOGALOO - Ringo Starr #31 up 9 from #42 [2nd Top 40 Hit as soloist]
    OH GIRL - Chi-Lites #35 up 45 from #80 [3rd Top 40 Hit]
    I'LL TAKE YOU THERE - Staple Singers #37 up 26 from #63 [3rd Top 40 Hit]
    CANDY MAN - Sammy Davis Jr. #38 up 15 from #53 [8th Top 40 Hit]
    HOT ROD LINCOLN - Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen #39 up 16 from #55 [One Hit Wonder]
    RUN, RUN, RUN - JoJo Gunne #40 up 8 from #48 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Light week, seven songs debut all on lower rungs, one from Motown, no proxies.

Highest Debut:
    #86 - IKO IKO - Dr. John

#89 - TAOS NEW MEXICO - R. Dean Taylor
    #90 - VAHEVELLA - Ken Loggins and Jim Messina
    #95 - SUGAREE - Jerry Garcia
    #96 - CHANGES - David Bowie
    #98 - LOVE'S STREET AND FOOL'S ROAD - Solomon Burke
    #99 - MENDELSSOHN'S 4TH [SECOND MOVEMENT] - Apollo 100

Motown:
    1st Week: - TAOS NEW MEXICO - R. Dean Taylor #89- DEBUT
    2nd Week: - WHAT'D I SAY - Rare Earth - #81 up 2 from #83
    3rd Week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker -#70 up 2 from #81
    7th Week: TAKE A LOOK AROUND - The Temptations -#41 down 2 from #39
    No drop offs,

A very good week for:
    Apple Records. Three singles on the Hot 100, all three in the Top 40.
    Welsh band Badfinger's 2nd release BABY BLUE from their second album, this one produced by Todd Rundgren advances to #18.

The McCartney's new band, Wings, has a debut LP released in December, while their banned in England 45, GIVE IRELAND BACK TO THE IRISH [not on the LP] is at #21 for a second week stateside. The song soon recorded after a reconciling visit with the John Lennons in NYC, is Paul's most politically tinged writing, a response to the Bloody Sunday killings at the start of the year.
    Meanwhile Ringo Starr under the production of George Harrison has this week's highest Top 40 debuting record with BACK OFF BOOGALOO, 'Boogaloo', a pet name for Paul McCartney, an inference that Paul's coming on too strong on issues concerning John Lennon.
    Also George Harrison continues his 15 week run with CONCERT FOR BANGLA DESH still in the LP chart's Top 20 at #20. George's Top 10 hit, WHAT IS LIFE is on the UK chart at #16, this time by Olivia Newton-John.

Billboard reviews a Stevie Wonder performance:

STEVIE
    WONDER
    BOBBY WHITLOCK

Bitter
    End, New York

Over the last five years , Stevie Wonder has matured beautifully,retaining the exuberance of his earliest chart records while developing an increasingly fluid improvisational style that draws from nearly every area of black music. Wonder grinned slyly as the set kicked off, and he made it clear that his primary goal was to make that audience feel good. He succeeded beautifully, displaying his awesome and varied powers as a modern black musician: one electric
    clavinet and synthesizer, he provided deft, rippling solo lines that curled sinuously through the textures of his 12-piece back-up; on drums, he flattened the audience with precise, explosive riffs; on harmonica, he was looser, more joyful than ever. His vocal strength is by now familiar, but his writing has definitely improved, showing a depth of idea and execution that was exemplified by the smoky feeling of his quieter tunes. He still records for Tamla, and he gives every indication of continued growth.

April showers bring May flowers:

Now at #6 from #9, with the Top Tens strongest mover, The Dramatics are enjoying their biggest hit of their career, with the Temptations [David Ruffin era] sounding, IN THE RAIN complete with Norman Whitfield like sound effects:
    Album's long version:

Also with rain sound effects is WALKING IN THE RAIN WITH THE ONE I LOVE, at #72 in its third week , this new group maybe more comparable to The Supremes as a three member singing group, called Love Unlimited, made up of sisters Glodean and Linda James with cousin Diane Taylor under the leadership of newcomer Barry White, heard too here in the phone dialogue:

HITS OF THE WORLD:

Besides the US and the UK [with The Supremes at #10, Michael Jackson at #22] Motown is represented in just one other country's hits list, Brazil, with Michael Jackson's GOT TO BE THERE at #7.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-09-2022 at 12:55 AM.

Chart #17
    April 22, 1972

It's back:
    Number of records reviewed this week: 70
    Last week: 64

Michael is ROCKIN' ROBIN to #2 this week. He and Gladys Knight are Motown's two Top 40 stars this round. The Jackson Five have the Hot 100's highest debuting record for the week. Seven songs from Motown on the Hot 100 with no drop offs, but the week belongs to the Jacksons.

The Top 10:

Roberta Flack's THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE repeats at #1. Michael Jackson advances to #2 from #4 with a bullet. DOCTOR MY EYES by Jackson Browne is the week's only new song entering the Top Ten, strongly from #16 to #10, his first time on. PUPPY LOVE by Donny Osmond is the one out, to #11 from #7.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ^ ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson #2 up 2 from #4.
    ^ HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips #34 up 2 from#36 .
    No drop offs from Motown

Biggest mover on the chart, fifteen places:
    OH GIRL - The Chi-Lites #20 from #35.

Just four debuts, mostly American except one cat, none from Motown
    Highest debut:
    MORNING HAS BROKEN - Cat Stevens #27 up 16 from #43 [4th Top 40 hit]

ME AND JULIO DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD - Paul Simon #36 up 13 from #49 [2nd Top 40 hit]
    TAXI - Harry Chapin - #38 up 12 from #50. [*First time artist]
    [LAST NIGHT] I DIDN'T GET TO SLEEP AT ALL - The Fifth Dimension #40 up 12 from #52 [18th Top 40 hit]

The Hot 100
    :
    Fourteen records debut. One from Motown. No proxies.

Highest Debut:
    #62 - LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five

#78 - TELEGRAM SAM - T Rex
    #79 - SMILIN' - Sly & The Family Stone
    #81 - DIARY - Bread
    #82 - I'VE BEEN LONELY FOR SO LONG - Frederick Knight
    #83 - LEAN ON ME - Bill Withers
    #85 - I'M MOVIN' ON - John Kay
    #88 - BEG, STEAL, OR BORROW - New Seekers
    #89 - ISN'T LIFE STRANGE - Moody Blues
    #90 - OUTTA SPACE - Billy Preston
    #95 - LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER - Nita Rota
    #98 - LONG-HAIRED LOVER FROM LIVERPOOL - Little Jimmy Osmond
    #99 - QUESTIONS - Bang
    #100 - DADDY DON'T YOU WALK SO FAST - Wayne Newton

Motown:
    1st Week: - LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five #62 DEBUT

2nd Week: - TAOS NEW MEXICO - R. Dean Taylor - #86 up 3 from #89
    3rd Week: - WHAT'D I SAY - Rare Earth - #66 up 15 from #81
    4th Week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker -#70 up 9 from #79
    8th Week:- TAKE A LOOK AROUND - The Temptations -#48 down 7 from #41
    no drop offs

A very good week for:
    Paul Simon.
    At #7 again this week, in its 11th chart week on the Top 200 LPs chart, is Simon's self-titled solo, post Garfunkel, debut album. Two singles from it are now on the Top 40, MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION is at #17 after peaking at #4 and debuting this week at #36 is ME AND JULIO DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD.

Bobby Day,
    born in Ft. Worth Texas in 1930, he sought fame in Los Angeles at age 15 as a singer/musician, and was popular in the local music scene under various incarnations for a decade before making his mark.
    Now at age 42, Day finds himself being channeled by the Jackson Five, who have released an updated version of his first hit [#57] [uncharted R&B] in 1957, the self-penned LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE, under the name Bobby Day and The Satellites, which then reached #6 on the Top 40 when re-recorded by Thurston Harris that same year.

In 1958 Day released ROCKIN' ROBIN which went to #2 on the Hot 100 and #1 R&B. It was his only Top 40 song. He hasn't charted at all since 1960. Now, 12 years later, he's hearing his music regularly on the radio, yes, a very good week for Bobby Day.

Michael Jackson is vying the #1 spot with his version. He's currently tied with Day's peak of #2.

Curiously a version of LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE was Frankie Lymon's biggest song [#58, 1960] as a solo act. Diana Ross will channel him for her first non-Motown release with a cover of his [and The Teenagers] biggest hit [#6] WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE from 1956.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-14-2022 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    hmmm, possibly.

But shouldn't the song's opening line then be,
    when you meet a boy....or a girl..... that you like a lot" ....
    ?
    You’re quite right Boogie, just me being silly

Chart #18
    April 29, 1972

Number of records reviewed this week: 70
    Last week: 64

Last week the Jackson Five had the highest debuting record on the Hot 100 with LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE. This week that record is the highest debuter on the Top 40. Most else by the label is either at a standstill or moving up modestly, except Jr Walker's WALK IN THE NIGHT which has picked up some momentum this week. No new Motown records premiere, one by proxy, and one drops off, giving the company six records total charting.

The Top 10:

Week three for Roberta Flack's first time at #1 with THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE. For that top spot Michael Jackson is still knockin', again at #2 with ROCKIN' ROBIN. With I GOTCHA, Joe Tex has got his biggest career charter since 1964's HOLD WHAT YOU GOT and is on hold again at #3. One new record again this week enters the tight top rung race, it's Al Green's LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE FOR ME at #10 from #12. HEART OF GOLD by Neil Young dives to #17 from #8.

The Top 40:

Motown:
    ROCKIN' ROBIN - Michael Jackson #2 again at #2.
    ^ HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT - Gladys Knight and the Pips #33 just one nudge up from #34.
    No drop offs from Motown

Biggest mover on the chart, eleven spots:
    Commander Cody and band, their remake of HOT ROD LINCOLN now outperforms the rockabilly song's original release from song's author Charlie Ryan in 1955 [#33]. Now Top 20 at #20 from #31.

Four new records three by Top 40 first timers, two American, two Canadian. One from Motown , one by proxy.

Highest debut:
    LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE - Jackson Five #32 up 30 from #62 [9th Top 40 Hit]

YOU COULD HAVE BEEN A LADY
    - April Wine #36 up 9 from #45 [*First Time Artist]
    NICE TO BE WITH YOU - Gallery - #37 up 5 from #42 [*First Time Artist]
    MISTER CAN'T YOU SEE - Buffy Sainte-Marie #40 up 1 from #41 [One Hit Wonder]

The Hot 100:

Highest debut:
    #50 - TUMBLING DICE - Rolling Stones

#77 - OLD MAN - Neil Young
    #79 - IT'S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME - Carpenters
    #80 - AIN'T WASTIN' TIME NO MORE - Allman Brothers
    #81 - AMERIKAN MUSIC - Steve Alaimo
    #82 - UPSETTER - Grand Funk Railroad
    #87 - AIN'T THAT PECULIAR - Fanny #8 record by Marvin Gaye in 1965, written by The Miracles. This is the tune's only Hot 100 appearing remake
    #90 - TOO BEAUTIFUL TO LAST - Engelbert Humperdinck
    #92 - LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER - Al Martino
    #93 - I JUST WANNA BE YOUR FRIEND - Lighthouse
    #97 - HOW DO YOU DO - Mouth and MacNeal
    #98 - WE'RE FREE - Beverly Bremmers
    #99 - YOUNG NEW MEXICAN PUPPETEER - Tom Jones
    #100 - WHERE THERE'S A WILL THERE'S AWAY - Delaney And Bonnie

Motown:
    3rd Week: - TAOS NEW MEXICO - R. Dean Taylor -#83 up 3 from #86
    4th Week: - WHAT'D I SAY - Rare Earth - #61 up 5 from #66
    5th Week: - WALK IN THE NIGHT - Jr. Walker -#59 up 11 from#70

drop offs:
    9th Week: - TAKE A LOOK AROUND - The Temptations - off from #48

The Temps newest album, ROCK SOLID, with the newest group line-up released at the start of the year, has now been tapped to it fullest with the Barrett, Whitman written TAKE A LOOK AROUND released as the third and last 7-inch from it. The record visited the Top 40 for 4 weeks peaking at #30 [#10 Soul.] Coming in weeks, their next album is soon to follow. It'll be lacking any new material from lyricist Barrett Strong, a first after years of songs from him.

A very good week for:
    The state of New Mexico.

It's a rare week, month, year, when two charting singles reference the same state, never mind New Mexico, in their lyrics and title, but that time has arrived, and it's made all the more improbable that one of the title's is furnished from Detroit founded Motown's family of labels.

Tom Jones has already scored a #16 charter in the UK with:

and the ever traveling/ repeatedly incarcerated R Dean Taylor is now in:

I can see her by the fire, eatin' cheese and gettin' higher
    with Don Jose

Enjoy it while one can , this one time ever chart event will have a very limited engagement.

Dennis Coffey
    who holds two Top 40 places, along with Mike Theodore, with records they've created.
    Together they help make up the Detroit Guitar Band behind Coffey's hit TAURUS which reached #18 and is this week at #23 in its 11th and final Hot 100 week, and together they are members of the group Gallery featuring Jim Gold. They enter the Top 40 this week with the Gold written IT'S SO NICE TO BE WITH YOU. With one coming and one going , a very good week for the duo honing their production skills over at Sussex Records.

Two-sided hits have all but vanished. A couple of weeks ago , one snuck on. For five weeks, Don McLean had been charting with his song VINCENT. Since April 6th, his hit single is now listed as VINCENT/CASTLES IN THE AIR, a b-side reissue of its initial pressing in 1971. It is The Hot 100's only double song 45.

Full page ad in Billboard promoting Michael Jackson's album showing the LP cover:

CONTAINS
    THE HIT SINGLE "ROCKIN' ROBIN" [M747L]
    Buy this album and get another hit single free.

We released "Rockin' Robin" and "Got To Be There" and had two Number One records.
    Now we're about to release "I Wanna Be Where You Are And have another Number One hit.
    And there's more where those hits came from. Get them all from the source:
    Michael Jackson's Top Ten album "Got To Be There'. 'It's one long-playing line up of hits.
    From one
    incredible talent.
    Michael Jackson is so close to #1 again this week with ROCKIN' ROBIN, but it looks like the push is already on toward his next one.

This is the final chart for Billboard's Hot 100/Top 40 Part One.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 05-20-2022 at 12:27 PM.