[REMOVE ADS]

Diana‘s "One Shining Moment"

Never paid that much attention to this song before, but I’ve really fallen in love with it today.

Any more love for this one?

One of my favorites from The Force Behind the Power and her Return to Motown era in the 1990's!

love this album, and a few other gems like In the Ones You Love,Promise Me You'll Try,Going Back
    i think a new collection of these gems is in order .imo
    i think there are a few out takes from the Force

After a decade of highly uneven releases, Diana Ross really got herself together for The Force Behind the power album. While I've a number of songs on the album I prefer to One Shining Moment, the song itself fits her like a glove and can see why it was a hit in the UK.

When I think of this song, I’m rarely compelled to play it. However, when I do hear it, halfway through I become completely lost into the song. And I like the video very much.

I remember when this was a hit here in the U.K and she sang it live on 'Top of the Pops' [[a t.v programme that was the national equivalent of BBC radio 1). I completely fell in love with her all over again after so many dud years. She found her groove again and gave us what we'd missed for so long. Which was the 'classic Diana Ross'

i dub this one of her "Oprah swaying along" songs. Diana continued to released these feel-good songs that were frankly borderline saccharine. and she continued to do them again and again and again. These are the songs she'd always debut and sing on some appearance on Oprah and Oprah would be standing out in the audience with her arms raised up and swaying back and forth in a trance.

I was on vacation in Europe and I can remember being totally surprised to see this video airing on some show. My friends thought I was crazy when I insisted on staying up until the show was repeated so that I could see the video again. I had to explain to them that the record wasn't released in America and as such, I would probably never see it again.

Many years later, I ran into the song's writer, Vaneese Thomas, while she was singing backup for Aretha. She was tickled when I told her the song was a favorite of mine.

I think this was very deserving of #10 in the UK. It fits Diana to a T.

I actually think it sounds very 80s, even though it’s from 1991!

Anyone else think that "Voice Of The Heart" from 1995's Take Me Higher has a similar feel?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Anyone else think that "Voice Of The Heart" from 1995's Take Me Higher has a similar feel?

I really like “Voice Of The Heart” But would never consider it a potential hit single.
    The key To “One Shining Moment” is the simplicity of it’s lyrics. They speak plainly of devoted love for another human which most can relate to. “VOTH” is a positive message song that is generally less compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really like “Voice Of The Heart” But would never consider it a potential hit single.
    The key To “One Shining Moment” is the simplicity of it’s lyrics. They speak plainly of devoted love for another human which most can relate to. “VOTH” is a positive message song that is generally less compelling.
    Well said Ollie. I agree
    I meant more in terms of the music, not the song's lyrics or meaning, of course.

I'd still have preferred it to Gone as a single though.

It would have been at least a top 40 hit like Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I'd still have preferred it to Gone as a single though.

It would have been at least a top 40 hit like Gone.
    As regards “TMH”, If it had to be a ballad then “Let Somebody Know’” would have been a better choice then the pleasant “Gone”. I consider it an overlooked little gem that was excluded from the UK release of the album.
    “ I Will Survive” should have been the second single while “Swing It” had potential.

The song live, sped up at start, during her 30th year anniversary tour in Ahoy, Rotterdam. In 1994, the lukewarm response of the audience is because the album came out in 1995...

This is the mentioned before concert, shown once at Dutch TV, during this segment she said "someday I have to give this all up and I can't think of it".

Quite hoarse and this is evening one, the second evening she said "I have been doing this for 30 f*cking years".

Can't wait to see her live one more time...in my lifetime.

Last edited by 1382hitsville; 01-12-2022 at 12:05 PM.