[REMOVE ADS]

Atlantic Records Question

Hope everyone here is doing well and that the holidays were great for all...now for a question. I was looking at a label of a 45 [[Wales Wallace on Bashie) and it got me to thinking...why did the label read 'distributed by Cotillion Div. of Atlantic' instead of 'distributed by Atlantic'? Is there a special significance to this? Not knowing the vagaries of the music business, I wouldn't know if there was, but I'm just curious as to why it read that way...or am I reading too much into it? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Best,

Mark

Maybe the designation 'distributed by Cotillion Div. of Atlantic' was a way for Atlantic Records to [partially] disguise how many different records they were distributing at that time. According to Discogs, Wikipedia & the Both Sides Now websites, Cotillion was a subsidiary label of Atlantic from 1968 to 1986. The artists who released music on that imprint were simply transferred to the parent Atlantic label when Cotillion folded.

Atlantic Records also used the designation 'distributed by Atco Record Sales Co.' from time to time [Atco was another one of Atlantic's subsidiary labels].

Name:  R-2924218-1502042190-5496.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  41.4 KB