In 1970, the Supremes were riding high with new lead singer Jean Terrell and their top 10 hit single “Up The Ladder To The Roof” while the Four Tops remained one of Motown’s classiest groups and had hit big once again with “Still Water [[Love).” As Motown had done with the ’60s Supremes and the Temptations, the ’70s Supremes were brought together with the Tops, this time for a series of three albums, all of which are included on this fabulous new two-CD set, Magnificent: The Complete Studio Duets. Two of the albums appear on CD for the first time.

But that’s not all. The Supremes and Tops recorded enough for a fourth album – 11 tracks of high-quality Motown magic that also are included in this collection.

The newly formed supergroup was lovingly dubbed “The Magnificent 7,” a name that stuck and became the title of the Supremes and Tops’ first album together. Producers on the LP included Duke Browner, Clay McMurray, and Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson; Nick and Val, with Paul Riser arranging, delivered a spirited remake of “River Deep, Mountain High,” which became a worldwide hit.

Return Of The Magnificent Seven followed, with tracks – including the single “You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart” – produced by Clay McMurray, Henry Cosby, Ashford & Simpson, Johnny Bristol and Bobby Taylor. Dynamite, their final LP together, included great covers of Bread’s smash “If,” the Barbara Lewis classic “Hello Stranger,” Stephen Stills’ “Love The One You’re With,” two from Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – “Good Lovin’ Ain’t Easy To Come By” and “If I Could Build My Whole World Around You” – and Aretha’s “Don’t Let Me Lose This Dream,” among others.

Then there are the unreleased tracks: stunning remakes of “It’s Your Thing, ”Gimme Some Lovin’,” “Joy The World” and the jazz standard “Poinciana,” plus seven more that would have made up a fourth Supremes-Tops album. Also included are fresh mixes of their biggest hits together, “River Deep,” and “You’ve Got to Have Love In Your Heart.”

Magnificent: The Complete Studio Duets collection also includes a beautiful 28 page booklet stuffed with rare photos, an essay by Mark Bego with personal reminiscences from the groups and detailed annotations – another loving tribute to two Motown supergroups from Hip-oSelect.com.