[REMOVE ADS]

This is the Story, from Hip-O Select

Diana Ross and The Supremes went their separate ways in 1970: Miss Ross embarked on her solo career, while the remaining Supremes – Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong – carried on with Jean Terrell as their new lead singer. The “new Supremes” immediately hit the top ten with “Up The Ladder To The Roof”; the hits kept coming, including “Stoned Love,” “Nathan Jones,” “Floy Joy,” et al. Finally, after many requests from fans worldwide, the complete non-duet Supremes recordings featuring Jean Terrell singing lead is collected on This Is The Story: The 70s Albums Vol. 1 - 1970-1973. A beautifully packaged set, Story collects the group’s five studio albums across three CDs, adding several stray tracks and 13 unreleased songs from what is now known as the “Promises Kept” sessions.

This Is The Story brings back into print the long-unavailable original five albums – Right On, New Ways But Love Stays, Touch, Floy Joy and Produced And Arranged By Jimmy Webb; the latter is now available on CD for the first time. Producers across these albums include Frank Wilson, who produced their first hits without Miss Ross, plus Johnny Bristol, Henry Cosby, Clay McMurray, and Smokey Robinson [[their earliest supporter at Motown, Smokey did the entire Floy Joy LP). Legendary songwriter Jimmy Webb, of course, delivered his own album, which remains a huge cult favorite. For this set, Webb wrote a personal recollection of the album sessions.

“We had a ball making that record,” says Webb. “It was a practical exercise in two cultures coming together, doing something together, and getting along… They were ready to do something new and different, and we did it.”
    Additional released tracks in this collection are “May His Love Shine Forever,” from Motown’s Rock Gospel album; the Stevie Wonder-produced single “Bad Weather” [[with Lynda Laurence replacing Cindy Birdsong) and the cover of the O’Jays’ “Love Train” – the latter two from the group’s At Their Best LP.
    In 1971, the J-M-C Supremes began recording a new album after the release of Touch. Producers from McMurray to Bobby Taylor, Cosby to Ashford & Simpson, toiled on several classic tracks – but that album release was cancelled and most of the tracks were never even mixed for review. While a few tracks were included on the Supremes’ 70s Anthology, many of them have never been heard since. Among the many highlights are covers of The Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby” and Carole King’s “It’s Too Late”; the oft-bootlegged “Tears Left Over”; “Take A Look Inside,” and much more. Box set producer Andrew Skurow adds an overview of the sessions in the deluxe booklet.

And what a booklet: other essays include a lively overview by Billboard magazine’s Fred Bronson, which features quotes from Supremes Terrell, Wilson and Birdsong, and producers Wilson, Wonder and McMurray. Original Touch liner notes by Elton John are also included. As usual with lavish hip-oselect.com releases, each track has detailed recording and release information.

The newly remastered music and the text are encased in a beautiful hardcover “book” package, which also features rare, stunning photographs from the Motown Records Archives. It’s a fitting presentation for one of the classiest groups from the era.

This is much sought after and out of print. I still regret I never got a hard copy.

However, today I found it digital on Apple Music.

“We had a ball making that record,” says Webb. “It was a practical exercise in two cultures coming together, doing something together, and getting along… They were ready to do something new and different, and we did it.”
    what a lame, say-nothing quote... and what's a "practical exercise" ??

This Is The Story, The 70's Albums, Vol. 1: 1970-1973 The Jean Terrell Years was released in December 2006.

The follow up, Let Yourself Go, The 70's Albums, Vol. 2: 1974-1977 The Final Sessions was released in May 2011.

Generally, the 70s Supremes haven't been as well served on CD as many other artists but these two sets, and the Supremes and Four Tops Magnificent Complete Studio Duets of November 2009 are a must for fans.

I missed out on a physical copy of This is the Story. I have Let Yourself Go and it is a treasure.
    The Supremes from the 1970's have been written off by critics because they no longer had Miss Ross, HDH was no longer writing hit after hit for them and that they no longer were relevant or had progressed.
    For the general public so used to seeing Miss Ross front and center, seeing Jean Terrell up front with a marvelous voice but much less charisma and uniqueness may have made them start to lose interest. Scherrie Payne had charisma and uniqueness but didn't have the high distinctive sound similar to Diana Ross. Plus if you look at Scherrie she was always with the other 2 doing the choreography and not stepping apart like Diana did and how Jean did sometimes.
    Critics and historians seem to have written off the Supremes from the 1970's, which has helped the Motown Myth that once Diana Ross left the group, the Supremes just withered and died. Nothing could be further from the truth. One listen to these sets and you can hear how the group is miles ahead of their 60's incarnations artistically, musically and vocally.
    I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    This is much sought after and out of print. I still regret I never got a hard copy.

However, today I found it digital on Apple Music.
    A question for some experts. Does anyone know exactly how many were produced upon release? Someone must know. In checking Discogs, there are a total of four available for US residents: The US is $180; and there are 3 available from the UK ranging from $226/$277. There is also a fifth one unavailable to ship to the US.

Just wondering. Why is this so highly priced? Was this a "limited edition" with only several hundred manufactured and sold?

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    A question for some experts. Does anyone know exactly how many were produced upon release? Someone must know. In checking Discogs, there are a total of four available for US residents: The US is $180; and there are 3 available from the UK ranging from $226/$277. There is also a fifth one unavailable to ship to the US.

Just wondering. Why is this so highly priced? Was this a "limited edition" with only several hundred manufactured and sold?
    I believe the general production run for the Hip-o-Select releases were 5000 copies. In the beginning they were numbered, later releases only had a "limited edition" stamped on them.

David - by David Ruffin was only a release of 2500, however, later re-released in a jewel case, don't know how much of those where made.

It's a shame the website is no longer up, because there it was stated how much each production was.

In the archives there is a full list of all Hip-o-Select or Motown-Select releases.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...se-discography

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    It's a shame the website is no longer up, because there it was stated how much each production was.
    Go to archive.org and enter the old website URL [hip-oselect.com]into the "Wayback Machine" field. It will show you when it crawled the website. Note that not all captures work so you have to look through for one that does.
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-03-2023 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

fortunately i think the music is all available digitally. i thought you could download off of itunes. but the booklet is the question. with the standard EE, they had a paperback booklet and I scanned these all in. but TITS, LYG, Pink Box Set all had bound booklets and I've not had an opportunity to scan then in.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Go to archive.org and enter the old website URL [hip-oselect.com]into the "Wayback Machine" field. It will show you when it crawled the website. Note that not all captures work so you have to look through for one that does.
    Thanxal, good advice, requires a bit of effort. Thank you. This is what this forum makes special. Sharing our knowledge.

Together we can make such sweet music, had to share it.

It is also my favorite album to abbreviate. Such sophomoric fun can be had!

I'm glad to see this thread get a little action.

I made a vow that ANYTIME a Supremes EE was released, I would support it, sometimes with multiple copies. So I'm glad to have purchased this one. Does anyone remember the MSRP? Was it $69.99? Worth every penny, especially looking at that they're reselling for now. Sonetimes they're $500 on eBay.

This is one of the ULTIMATE EE's, and a definite "love letter" to the Jean Terrell years.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm glad to see this thread get a little action.

I made a vow that ANYTIME a Supremes EE was released, I would support it, sometimes with multiple copies. So I'm glad to have purchased this one. Does anyone remember the MSRP? Was it $69.99? Worth every penny, especially looking at that they're reselling for now. Sonetimes they're $500 on eBay.

This is one of the ULTIMATE EE's, and a definite "love letter" to the Jean Terrell years.
    it is a truly superb set. but of course i'd vote for some changes still! lol

it's a shame they didn't include more alt and unreleased versions. i know they needed to squeeze in more of the Promised Kept tracks. but that was one of the thrills with the LYG set is that there were alt versions of the songs we knew. while i'm super thrilled to have the unreleased tracks [[of course i want everything!) to be honest, they're not as strong of tunes as most of the released things. so an alt or extended version of Ladder would be preferable to Eleanor Rigby.

but then again, perhaps the idea was to save the alt versions for a potential Lost & Found set, since the high name recognition of the hit tunes would help sell it

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it is a truly superb set. but of course i'd vote for some changes still! lol

it's a shame they didn't include more alt and unreleased versions. i know they needed to squeeze in more of the Promised Kept tracks. but that was one of the thrills with the LYG set is that there were alt versions of the songs we knew. while i'm super thrilled to have the unreleased tracks [[of course i want everything!) to be honest, they're not as strong of tunes as most of the released things. so an alt or extended version of Ladder would be preferable to Eleanor Rigby.

but then again, perhaps the idea was to save the alt versions for a potential Lost & Found set, since the high name recognition of the hit tunes would help sell it
    There was long rumor that a 70's L&F set "was in the works", or at least the concept was there. I think it's safe to say that evening train is long gone.

It's been discussed to death, but by far my favorite 70's release was the GH&RC. Mr. George has many times provided us with his thoughts and process behind the tracks.

It's been discussed to death, but by far my favorite 70's release was the GH&RC. Mr. George has many times provided us with his thoughts and process behind the tracks.
    I agree marybrewster! That release came out of nowhere and was desperately needed! I only wish we had the opportunity to buy George's original 2 disc lineup. It's a shame he had to whittle it down to 1 disc - buy he still included some great treats.

There was long rumor that a 70's L&F set "was in the works", or at least the concept was there. I think it's safe to say that evening train is long gone.

yeah i wonder if the L&F wasn't a fan-generated rumor. we've all suggested for years how that would allow for a truckload of 70s material to be released and avoid the album-by-album EE approach. not that we all would squeal and die for a Right On EE. but as you said, that evening train is probably long gone.

i'm just not sure if i can pick a fav 70s release. all of them were wonderful, if for no other reason than this portion of the group's discography was so often overlooked and, for die hard fans, it's a period mostly highly enjoyed. when they released RO, Touch, Mag 7 and FJ on cd in the early 90s, i was SOOOOOOO excited. then NW came out and the GHRC and Sup/Tops GH. then there was a cd with DMF in the silver and gold lame outfits but it was 70s content. i think it was titled NJ and SL but had quite a few JW tunes on it too. each of these slowly gave us a few more 70s track to have in digital format

i loved but was HUGELY disappointed that the pink box set omitted LYG. that's just one of my all time favorite sup tunes and was dying to have it on cd.

So i think 70s Anthology would have to be my top 70s release.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I agree marybrewster! That release came out of nowhere and was desperately needed! I only wish we had the opportunity to buy George's original 2 disc lineup. It's a shame he had to whittle it down to 1 disc - buy he still included some great treats.
    If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe it was going to be a 2-disc set. It was still going to be 1-disc but it included a lot of previously unreleased tracks and alternate takes/mixes. Motown at the last minute said no to any unreleased material so George had one day to redo it and used tracks that may not get released on an album reissue thus tracks from Jimmy Webb, etc.

Greatest Hits and Rare Classics is my go to 70's set....it has the nice big fat radio mix single versions of Ladder, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones and the expanded versions of a few others....a confirmed Webb LP hater [[other than IGIMTM and 5.30 Plane) I skip the Webb tracks completely and at all costs! ditto for This is Why I Believe In You....

Hip-o-Select did a great job....everything was pressed in collectors limited editions. Being a ebay seller, I realized the goldmine these would be when the run was exhausted...I got 5 extra TITS, In Japan...3 Tempts / J5 in Japan and a few of the excellent Pointer Sisters LP STEPPIN'....overtime, they paid my rent for a month and 6 month car insurance bill!

I find the majority of the unreleased stuff just OK...the best of every line up was def the released material....exception being Mary's held back tracks from her aborted 2nd solo LP...they are remarkable...You Danced My Heart is the first recording to show MW in full voice, and sound like she did live...but the first available one was Don't Get Mad, Get Even....

Along the same lines regarding Jean Terrell. Unfortunately, I was not able to obtain the Hip-O release, but I obtained a similar item that I don't think was discussed.

I purchased a DVD, Jean Terrell, Through the Eyes of a Supreme. I bought it from www.santelgroupinc.com. The back cover of the DVD reads as follows:

The Lady, The Legend, The Music: MS. JEAN TERRELL

70's lead singer of the world famous Supremes tells her life story in this exclusive DVD, "Through The Eyes of a Supreme." From the beginning as a little girl in Chicago to working with her brother, former heavyweight boxing champion Ernie Terrell & the Heavyweights. Lead singer of those classic hits, Up The Ladder To The Roof, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones, and more! Video documentary features exclusive footage from former Supremes members, live performances, photo gallery, and bonus material.

The UPC code is 25346 45719.

I don't know if it is available or not. Didn't want to start a new thread on this as it will be read by all fans by including it in this thread.

With Mary passing and already having This is the Story,Let Yourself Go, Greatest Hits and Rare Classics , Supremes 70's Anthology and Mary Wilson The Motown Anthology-I do not think there will be anything else released. I have everything on CD except for This is The Story but a friend on VMF [[an old forum long gone) did me the courtesy of copying it for me.
    I think without Mary, we no longer have a champion with Andy, George and Harry to get things done for the remaining fans. I am just grateful for what we do have and I thank them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I do not think there will be anything else released.
    I really don't get these kinds of statements about releases because there never seems to be any evidence to support the conclusion. The last time we had new Supremes stuff hasn't even been two years passed. I could understand if it's been five years or a decade, but how often do you expect these releases to churn out?

If I'm being completely honest, I don't think Mary had anything to do with the releases. Not that she didn't promote them or participate when called upon to give recollections for liner notes and such, but I don't think she was on the phone with the vault gang saying "Hey, isn't it time to release some more Supremes material?". George, Andy, and the others seem to have enough love for the Supremes that they wouldn't need to be pushed by anyone.

Without having any inside knowledge, my suspicion is that somewhere in Universal there are issues regarding products and priorities. Whether that's still related to the pandemic or something else, I won't guess at it. George, and I believe Andy too, have posted a couple of times that they have Supremes related stuff they can do, but until they get the greenlight, their hands are tied. Something seems to be going on within the company and I suspect whenever it is worked out, more releases will come forth.

But it's waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too early for any of us outsiders to conclude that what we have is the end of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I missed out on a physical copy of This is the Story. I have Let Yourself Go and it is a treasure.
    The Supremes from the 1970's have been written off by critics because they no longer had Miss Ross, HDH was no longer writing hit after hit for them and that they no longer were relevant or had progressed.
    For the general public so used to seeing Miss Ross front and center, seeing Jean Terrell up front with a marvelous voice but much less charisma and uniqueness may have made them start to lose interest. Scherrie Payne had charisma and uniqueness but didn't have the high distinctive sound similar to Diana Ross. Plus if you look at Scherrie she was always with the other 2 doing the choreography and not stepping apart like Diana did and how Jean did sometimes.
    Critics and historians seem to have written off the Supremes from the 1970's, which has helped the Motown Myth that once Diana Ross left the group, the Supremes just withered and died. Nothing could be further from the truth. One listen to these sets and you can hear how the group is miles ahead of their 60's incarnations artistically, musically and vocally.
    I would highly recommend them to anyone.
    The Motown myth? What Motown myth? Where have you read this?
    critics write the 70s Supremes off? I find it just the opposite it. Most times when they are mentioned, as far as I can recall, they are regarded as having been at least somewhat successful.

Clearly, I am reading in the wrong places!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    The Motown myth? What Motown myth? Where have you read this?
    critics write the 70s Supremes off? I find it just the opposite it. Most times when they are mentioned, as far as I can recall, they are regarded as having been at least somewhat successful.

Clearly, I am reading in the wrong places!
    If you frequent Motown related forums, sure, the 70s Supremes have their place. If you step outside of that, it is abundantly clear that the Supremes to 9 out of 10 people are Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, and sometimes to a lesser extent, Cindy Birdsong. When folks talk the Supremes they are referring to the Diana led groups 99 percent of the time. The 70s Supremes don't often- if ever- get spotlighted in media [[books, tv, etc), even with the first two years of the Jean years being pretty successful. If they get a mention at all, it's more of a footnote to the 60s Supremes rather than a nod to their own accomplishments.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the 70s Supremes live in the 60s Supremes shadow and there was probably little they could really do about it. Likewise, even DRATS couldn't really compete with the Flo years. What Diana, Flo and Mary were able to do from 1964-1967 will probably never be duplicated. That's a hard act to follow.

The Motown Myth was that the Supremes just shriveled up and died. That was not the truth. They remained a viable act. I read a book where it was stated that the girls limped along for the next 7 years, never again having a top 10 hit but hitting the top 100 occasionally until the last original left the group. The writer was definitely misinformed as the group had top 10 hits, top 20 hits and even too 40 hits in their last year. I read a local review of High Energy where they stated the group slipped badly and sounded very ordinary as well as saying how Miss Ross was one of the most understandable singers and no one in this line up comes close. A review of Dynamite where stated that Motown should let both groups go and die with dignity. I quite remember how the press wrote about the Supremes in the 70s.

ok - i'm reposting this. i searched back in some of our threads and found George's discussion from years ago on GHARC. i think this was from 2010. these are multiple posts that i've copies and pasted into 1 megathread. this was just such fascinating info and it's worth re-reading:

I may have posted something like this a long time ago. I can't speak for "At Their Best" but I didn't use YWSSL on Greatest Hits And Rare Classics because originally the CD had the biggest hits and the rest were all unreleased tunes. At the very last minute Motown told me they had to cancel the release because all unreleased tunes were on hold. The disc had already been mastered and they weren't willing to spend any more studio time. Someone said they would just do a straight reissue of "At Their Best" and that would be the end of it. I BEGGED for one more day and quickly replaced the unreleased songs with rare LP tracks. I avoided most tracks from the first four Jean albums because I knew we were about to reissue them on CD. I was told "no" to the Jimmy Webb album and all of the albums that followed. I love YWSSL but I had to decide [[fast) between one of the other tracks that may never be on CD and a song I knew was going to be available on CD soon. That's also why I chose the mono single mixes of the hits, and alternates of "Everybody's Got The Right To Love", "Automatically Sunshine", "Bad Weather", "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking", "You're My Driving Wheel" and maybe a few others. I tried hard to make every single track a rarity in one way or another because who knew if we'd ever get another release on the 70's Supremes? How wonderful [[and sweet, sweet) that several years later we've been able to do much more.
    One more note of interest...Many have wondered why Diana Ross and The Supremes Superstar Series featured eight Supremes on the cover but the music was all from the sixties. Andy and I just found the original LP master and side two originally featured songs from the seventies era, so all of the ladies would have been represented. We have no idea why they changed it at the last minute. Another Motown mystery!

I pitched the idea of Greatest Hits and Rare Classics to be collections of hits, unreleased and rare tracks from artists that didn’t have a CD compilation on the market. My main interest was releasing a great compilation on the 70’s Supremes. I got approval to go ahead with each CD except The Supremes. I was told that they didn’t feel there was enough sales potential in the 70’s group and we would just do a straight reissue of the 10 song vinyl collection, “At Their Best”. After much pleading on my part I finally got a green light on the 70’s group. With each CD, I was told I could have only two photos and no liner notes. [[I was eventually allowed one paragraph per CD).
    The first 3 to be mastered were Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston and The Supremes. [[All containing several songs from the vaults) As we were finishing the Supremes master, a memo was issued stating that NO UNRELEASED MATERIAL COULD BE ISSUED. I was told the finished masters had to be scrapped and we could only proceed with the remaining artists using only released material. Once again, I lost my Supremes collection. Again, I pleaded, if I could re-master the CD’s in ONE DAY replacing the unreleased tracks with other rarities could we proceed? [[I believe, I was on my knees at the time.) The results are the released CD’s. With the Supremes, I had such a hard time choosing tracks that I varied the CD and the cassette. This wasn’t a ploy to make people have to buy both. It was for the fans who would WANT to have both. The casual buyer wouldn’t care as long as they got the hits they wanted. As with every collection many fans questioned the track list. Remember, that “Right On” “Touch” and “Floy Joy” were already issued on CD and I just got approval to do “New Ways”, so I used very few tracks from those LP’s. I got a definite “no” on Jimmy Webb and all of the remaining albums [[with the exception of MAYBE “High Energy”). That is how I chose the tracks.
    I really liked this collection and I’d like to thank everyone for the mostly very positive feedback. And by the way, The Supremes and Rare Earth were the biggest sellers in the whole series.

If you care, here is the original track list for the Supremes master that still sits in the Motown vaults.

Original Greatest Hits and Rare Classics
    All tracks or mixes available on CD for the first time [[1991)

Up the Ladder [[mono mix)
    Life Beats [[mono mix) *
    Everybody’s Got The Right [[alt vocal mono mix) *
    Stoned Love [[mono mix)
    Nathan Jones [[mono mix)
    If I Were Your Woman *
    Floy Joy [[unedited) *
    Automatically Sunshine [[alternate) *
    Remote Control *
    Make It With You *
    Never Can Say Goodbye *
    Tossin' & Turnin' [[edit) *
    Paradise *
    Love Train [[remix) *
    Bad Weather [[ext fade) *
    I Had To Fall In Love [[edit)-Jean *
    The Shoop Shoop Song *
    The Sha La Bandit [[alternate) *
    Bend A Little *
    I’m Gonna Let My Heart [[alternate) *
    You’re My Driving Wheel [[alt edit) *
    Another Life From Now-Scherrie
    You Danced My Heart Around The Stars-Mary *

• unreleased track or mix

Thanks for caring – George Solomon

Hi guys,

I emailed George again, [[who is on a cruise in Hawaii, and therefore not able to respond on the site in a timely manner). Again, his response is below. Many of the cassette versions were used on other collections since, because we knew the cassette would become more of a rarity as time goes on. One of the items he didn't mention is the extended "Floy Joy," from the cassette edition which we used on the Supremes 40th Anniversary Box Set.

I would like to add one final thought, the people George worked with at Motown back then are not the same people Harry or myself work with today.

and now, FROM GEORGE SOLOMON:
    Here are the tracks that were different on the Greatest Hits and Rare Classics cassette.

EVERYBODY'S GOT THE RIGHT TO LOVE - The CD had an alternate mono mix with a completely different lead vocal by Jean. The cassette version had yet another mono mix with the released vocal. The cassette version can now be found on "The Supremes 70's Anthology". I feel both of these mono single mixes were superior to the one that was released. This record could have been much bigger.
    There is still yet another mono single mix of this song in the vaults that combines both of Jean's vocals.

TOUCH - The cassette included an alternate mono single mix. Listen for Cindy's alternate "Oh baby" after the first verse. Also, Cindy's "Talk to me, talk to me" was eliminated from this mix and Jean's vocal was punched out at the fade. This mix is still unavailable any place else. I personally didn't like any of the mono single mixes of "Touch". This was another great record that I think failed because of an inferior single mix and edit.

AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE - I believe I used the released LP mix on the cassette. The CD had an alternate mono extended mix. The full stereo alternate mix can be found on "The 70's Anthology".

IT'S ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE & WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE - Both were on the cassette but not on the CD. Both were the LP mixes. The single mix of "Where Do I Go From Here" is still unavailable on CD and there is an alternate lead vocal by Scherrie on "It's All Been Said Before" still in the vaults.

HIGH ENERGY - This was a single edit of a mix that eventually came out in its entirety on "The 70's Anthology". The original lead vocal by Scherrie is still unreleased.

YOU'RE MY DRIVING WHEEL - I used the alternate promo lead vocal, which has since come out on CD on the Supremes Box and The Supremes Gold.

LET YOURSELF GO - This was an alternate [[and in my opinion) much better single edit than the released version.

FLY - Scherrie's solo single wasn't included on the CD. Instead I used "Another Life From Now".

I still stand by my decision to vary the CD and cassette and I think most of the fans were happy about it. The Motown execs were not! Even though they signed off on both versions [[I couldn't get anything released without a signature on the track list) they became upset when some retailers complained about the differences. I wasn't "fired" because I was never officially a Motown employee but in truth it did compromise my position. It was very difficult in the early 90's. [[I think Andy would agree it's still often difficult) to get things done exactly the way you know they should be.

One funny story....I produced a "Best Of The Supremes & 4 Tops" CD. When I went to approve the artwork I found a picture of Diana Ross & The Supremes and The Temptations on the cover. [[It was the back photo of TCB) When I gently pointed out that not only was it the wrong group of Supremes but the wrong male group all together, I was told that I was being overly picky and no one would notice that but me! Ultimately, I got it changed, but these are the little "challenges" that came up constantly. So, even today when you see these little mistakes on the reissue's you better believe that it wasn't Andy, Harry or myself being negligent. Sometimes these things just slip through the cracks and we get as frustrated as you do. I'm just really very happy that there is still an audience for these wonderful recordings and there are still great releases yet to come!

I was so glad in more recent times Mary started bringing more discussion of the 70's groupings up in interviews...frankly, the DMF groups achievements, the dream, the social importance was becoming a bore...been there, heard that....
    I wish Jean was more willing to co-operate and get involved in giving interviews...there's so much I would still like to hear about...Even about her time in the FLO's