[REMOVE ADS]

Where Did We Go Wrong - interesting back story

so i have a stack of motown books - old and new. and i just randomly grab one and reread, look at the pics, etc.

Randy wrote a great book early in his career on Motown [[was released in mid-80s). and in it there are tons of interviews with all sorts of people. Ron Miller had a fascinating story about the song Where Did We Go Wrong.

He states that he intended it to be the follow up to Touch Me In The Morning. But Gordy and Ross thought it was too similar. and they thought it was too fast. So they made him recut the track and slow it way down to a ballad. Then it sat in the vault for a few years and finally DR put her vocals to it and it was released on Ross 78

he said the ballad version sucks lol. that the superior take on it was the original.

I’m shocked he likes version one better. I like everything about version two better and I feel it would’ve been a good shot at a top 10 record in 1978. Version one has too many tempo changes I don’t like some of that arrangement as the backing track and there are stanzas where I really don’t care for her interpretation. I would never have released version one as presented here not… Not even as an album cut.