[REMOVE ADS]

How come The Supremes don't have a Xmas song in the hitparade end of the year?

Except for Stevie Wonder and the Jackson Five there are no Motown acts with a Xmas song in the hitparade of the USA and UK at the end of the year. I wonder why no Supremes songs?

With the 1000's of Christmas songs, the Supremes set just isn't strong enough. MY FAVORITE THINGS might get a bit of play during the holiday season, but no where near other artists and titles. We listen to Christmas music at work all season and I've not heard the Supremes once.

I sometimes hear Silver Bells and My Favorite Things, but never enough for them to score. I enjoy The Supremes Christmas album, but I don't find anything on it iconic like Stevie's couple of songs or the Jackson 5.

I was going to say as much as I enjoy the album, it's not as popular as many, many other artists' Xmas albums. I've heard My Favorite Things and Twinkle Twinkle Little Me occasionally. I think I even heard O Holy Night once in a store. I will say I love their album so much more than any of the J5 Xmas songs.

Our small town local radio station WCSR has "Favorite Things" in regular rotation for the Christmas season, since one of the DJ's is a good friend of mine and we visited Hitsville together. I did hear her play "Twinkle Twinkle" once, but that was it. I always thought they should have released a Supremes single with a couple standards in 1965 instead of "Twinkle" and "Children's Xmas Song", which I think is a dud. I think Motown could have done a much better single release for the girls off the Xmas album!

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Our small town local radio station WCSR has "Favorite Things" in regular rotation for the Christmas season, since one of the DJ's is a good friend of mine and we visited Hitsville together. I did hear her play "Twinkle Twinkle" once, but that was it. I always thought they should have released a Supremes single with a couple standards in 1965 instead of "Twinkle" and "Children's Xmas Song", which I think is a dud. I think Motown could have done a much better single release for the girls off the Xmas album!
    I used to think SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN or MY CHRISTMAS TREE might make nice singles. I think the former was a big hit in Singapore.

But since TTLM charted well for three consecutive years, I guess Motown figured why tamper with success.

For many years in the 1970's, the Supremes charted on the Christmas Chart; and I believe Christmas in Vienna was either number 1 or very close to it on the Classical Chart.

But I think they sound a bit dated now.

I checked the Billboard charts at Christmas and my memory is only one or two Christmas albums charted - and the highest was the Jackson 5 and it was way down the Top 200.

A lot of those that loved Motown so much are getting pretty long in the tooth and I think that's part of the waning popularity.

I think The Supremes' versions of "Santa Claus Is Comin To Town", "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" and especially "My Favourite Things" are excellent. I also think "Silver Bells" and "White Christmas" are very nicely done. I never hear any of them played anywhere, however, which is a shame.

They do play "What Christmas Means To Me" and "Someday At Christmas" by Stevie, The Miracles' version of "Jingle Bells", and The Tempts' rendition of "Rudolph", at the supermarket where I work.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-04-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Sirius played quite a few Supremes songs on their 3 Christmas channels

I always say it’s not the Christmas season until I hear one of the Supremes holiday classics. In the USA you will always hear “My Favorite things”, “Silver Bells”, or “White Christmas”. I’ve literally heard at least one, or all during the holidays. I’ve even heard that one song that has children singing along. In recent years I’ve heard Diana’s “This Christmas” a lot. This year I was totally surprised to hear Diana’s “Wonderful Christmas time”. Diana Ross/and the Supremes are well represented during the holidays.

When the radio station where I live used to play a variety of Christmas songs and not the same 200 songs over like they do now, "White Christmas," "Joy To The World," and "Silver Bells" were heavily played.

That being said, I think "My Favorite Things" is the most played track from the Christmas sessions and the gem from the album. I heard it a lot on Sirius and in stores/out and about this past Christmas season. I actually thought it may get some traction on Billboard's Christmas charts. It's quite possible in the next few years it could. The Ronettes' "Sleigh Ride" actually charted in the Billboard's Hot 100 just recently and broke a 58 year break for them. The first time they charted on Billboard's Hot 100 since 1965.

I should also add it was used in the Grinch movie a few years ago that helped to boost it and Ariana Grande had a song come out a few years back called "7 Rings" that heavily sampled/reinterpreted "My Favorite Things" and her fans have discovered the Supremes' version while searching for other versions.

Christmas in Vienna reached number 1 in the USA and number 4 in the UK:

On her "a very special season" album there is a live version of "Amazing Grace"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_in_Vienna_[[album)

During the Download period until Streaming took over The Supremes' Santa Claus is Coming To Town made a few appearances in the UK Top 200 over the Christmas periods.

I think I have the album them promoted differently with different singles the album would still be relevant today. I can’t think of a worse record 12 foot out the children’s Christmas song. I would’ve sent out a little bright star, or Santa Claus is coming to town first than the other. In ‘67 I’d have done one more pop single while servicing Silver Bells and My Fave Things to AC stations only every year. Would also have change the cover in 1967 or ‘68 And add just a lonely Christmas.

not sure who decided to release the orginal song from the Supremes christmas album, but it think it was prbably BG.hated it and skip it every time
    my local station was not playing any supremes christmas until i kept requesting My Fav things, perhaps had this been the xmas single back in 65 maybe.usually in past i do hear My Favorite Things
    s