[REMOVE ADS]

Yvonne Fair Recordings

I was just thinking about Yvonne Fair’s Motown releases… they seem to be split between some tracks from 1969/1970 [[with 1 single "Stay A Little Longer" and some unreleased stuff on recent compilations) and then her album in 1975 The Bitch Is Black. Do you guys think/know if she made any more recordings in between?

I’m thinking that her big number from Lady Sings the Blues [“Lowdown Shuffle Blues”?] remains vaulted. And, of course, her speaking voice is featured prominently on the dialogue portions of that soundtrack album.

Ah! I knew that she had a part in the film but didn’t know she had recorded songs for it. Thanks sans.

It seems Yvonne spent a lot of time at Motown just waiting for something to happen. There's that one recording she did with Chuck Jackson, so it seems Motown was toying with the idea of launching another Marvin/Tammi duo. So I wonder if Yvonne was at least doing live shows, maybe as an opening act? Would love to know her feelings about being at Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    It seems Yvonne spent a lot of time at Motown just waiting for something to happen. There's that one recording she did with Chuck Jackson, so it seems Motown was toying with the idea of launching another Marvin/Tammi duo. So I wonder if Yvonne was at least doing live shows, maybe as an opening act? Would love to know her feelings about being at Motown.
    If I'm not mistaken, Yvonne was one of the performers at the Harlem festival that inspired the recent SUMMER OF SOUL documentary. Unfortunately, her performance didn't make the film.

I read at least one article on her in BLACK STARS magazine and she talked about working on LADY SINGS THE BLUES. She mentioned that she and Diana had some some dates together during the Supremes years and and despite how busy Diana was during the filming of LSB, she offered to run lines with Yvonne.

She also mentioned how challenging it was to tour with the Jackson 5 because she had to relate to their audience which was for the most part, younger than she.

I remember another interview with Chuck Jackson where he mentioned working with Yvonne and saying while going to Motown was a good move for her, it wasn't so good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I know what you mean WaitingWatching. I guess Yvonne did get something of a break with The Bitch Is Black, and "It Should Have Been Me" was a big hit here in the UK. I just wonder if she made any actual recordings [[besides LTSB) between 1970 and 1974!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Yvonne was one of the performers at the Harlem festival that inspired the recent SUMMER OF SOUL documentary. Unfortunately, her performance didn't make the film.

I read at least one article on her in BLACK STARS magazine and she talked about working on LADY SINGS THE BLUES. She mentioned that she and Diana had some some dates together during the Supremes years and and despite how busy Diana was during the filming of LSB, she offered to run lines with Yvonne.

She also mentioned how challenging it was to tour with the Jackson 5 because she had to relate to their audience which was for the most part, younger than she.

I remember another interview with Chuck Jackson where he mentioned working with Yvonne and saying while going to Motown was a good move for her, it wasn't so good for him.
    I didn’t know any of that reese! Interesting. And its a shame Chuck Jackson didn’t have any hits at Motown, I think all of his Motown stuff is excellent.

Reece, I believe that it was Blinky not Yvonne who appeared in "Summer Of Soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Reece, I believe that it was Blinky not Yvonne who appeared in "Summer Of Soul"
    There was an artist log at the end of the film and I could swear that Yvonne, as well as Blinky and Chuck Jackson, were listed. But I could very well be wrong.

Checking IMDB, Yvonne was in the Summer of Soul documentary as credited as Yvonne Faire. She was also in the club scenes in Lady Sings The Blues, though I don't remember her singing a full song.

David Ruffin and Willie Tyler & Lester were also on Motown section of the "Harlem Cultural Festival" which of course starred Gladys Knight & the Pips and Stevie Wonder along with Chuck Jackson and Blinky.

Yvonne has an unreleased album in the vaults which was supposed to be the follow up to 'The Bitch is Black' but it was canned!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Yvonne has an unreleased album in the vaults which was supposed to be the follow up to 'The Bitch is Black' but it was canned!
    I didn’t know that!! Do you know if the album had a name?!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I didn’t know that!! Do you know if the album had a name?!
    I'm not sure but I will ask my source.

I have a note about 2 unreleased possibilities: "Then We Can Try Again" as a solo and "Dancing In The Street" but I can`t substantiate either.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    I have a note about 2 unreleased possibilities: "Then We Can Try Again" as a solo and "Dancing In The Street" but I can`t substantiate either.
    No evidence at all of the former and the latter looks likely to have been overdubbed by IJH...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    No evidence at all of the former and the latter looks likely to have been overdubbed by IJH...
    Paul are you aware of any other unreleased recordings by Yvonne?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Paul are you aware of any other unreleased recordings by Yvonne?
    Paul, I have Ivor's list saved somewhere.

Paul, I have Ivor's list saved somewhere.
    Be intested to see that John as far as I'm aware there is little or nothing left

"It should have been me" featured on Times Radio this morning.
    Jokey feature on listeners suggestions for a piece on records which might apply to failed Politicians running for office.
    The presenter's favourite was Yvonne Fair....and got an extended airing.
    Perhaps Trump can use it?

I'm not sure but I will ask my source.
    Hey copley, do you know if the follow-up album was also produced by Norman Whitfield?