[REMOVE ADS]

Temptations - great "Power" remix in Blackberry commercial!

Has anyone else seen this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/vL78qcKqd38

I wish it were available to dl but as far as I can tell it was just done for the commercial by "Soundtree" [[an ad agency).

Are there any good remixes of Power out there? Sounds like something Tom Moulton would have done a bang-up job with...

I've seen and heard it about a dozen times already. It's a lot of play on CNN.

I was in the control room at Group IV in Hollywood when they recorded Power.
    As I recall locking the 2 24 track machines with only 5 seconds timecode preroll was a huge pain in the ass!
    But the group and the vibe were great!

funkcity
    can you explain what a 5 second preroll is and why its a pain.
    cheers

this should have been a huge hit, like so many tracks that fell by the wayside during this period,when it seemed like Motown didn't know how[[or want to) promote records anymore..

this should have been a huge hit, like so many tracks that fell by the wayside during this period,when it seemed like Motown didn't know how[[or want to) promote records anymore..
    I don't know what you mean by huge, but this track heralded the return of Dennis Edwards and the end of The Temptations association with the much maligned Atlantic Records. Sales notwithstanding the Tempts came on like gangbusters and would soon return to form. Tempts fans all over the world were satisfied, they were once again a viable group with bookings and appearances on shows like Rock Concert and others, they were all over the place and I'm not of the opinion that BG didn't do the best he could by this release. I don't know where you are from but this was a very big record in Chicago, in fact the biggest that the Tempts had in over three years........but I'm just saying......

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post

I don't know what you mean by huge, but this track heralded the return of Dennis Edwards and the end of The Temptations association with the much maligned Atlantic Records. Sales notwithstanding the Tempts came on like gangbusters and would soon return to form. Tempts fans all over the world were satisfied, they were once again a viable group with bookings and appearances on shows like Rock Concert and others, they were all over the place and I'm not of the opinion that BG didn't do the best he could by this release. I don't know where you are from but this was a very big record in Chicago, in fact the biggest that the Tempts had in over three years........but I'm just saying......
    I remember the night they premiered "Power" on the Midnight Special in early 1980. It was very well received and was a hit!

I am from N.Y. and was on Motown's mailing listing as a reviewer for several local and national music publications.
    "Power" peaked at #45 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart; a hit? maybe,kinda sorta, but not really..
    Regionally,it probably did alright in certain areas, it didn't even go top ten on the R&B singles chart nationally..

uptight Guest
    tamla617, by "5 seconds preroll" time, funkcity is referring the little time the two tape machines were allowed to gear up and get in sync with each other. I imagine 5 seconds wasn't enough time for the machines to sync themselves up whenever the play or record button was pushed. It must have caused technical issues in the playback and recording process. It was a method recording more than 24 tracks simultaneously between two tape machines.

I first heard of engineer Bruce Swedien using this recording method in the 70s, but I don't know who introduced it. Who were the engineers on "Power?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I am from N.Y. and was on Motown's mailing listing as a reviewer for several local and national music publications.
    "Power" peaked at #45 on Billboard's Hot 100 Singles chart; a hit? maybe,kinda sorta, but not really..
    Regionally,it probably did alright in certain areas, it didn't even go top ten on the R&B singles chart nationally..
    It was a hit in Detroit-Toledo-Windsor, ON. that's where I was during it's release. It didn't go #10 on the R&B Charts, but it went to #11! [[I mostly listened to R&B stations then anyway) It was a hit!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-21-2011 at 01:49 AM.

POWER , was one of the tracks which herald the return of the Temps to MOTOWN ,by emulating Normans style by Berry. Which he in his wisdom pulled off , but too late ,to be accepted commercially. This was Melvins last harrah ,if anything. That voice of his was indeed the force behind POWER. And you Know That!!!!

I was trying to find some more info on the remix, too. So far all I came up with was:

"This superb version was produced by Soundtree's Oliver Julian, Luis Almau and Peter Raeburn for the RIM's new portable tablet campaign."

Hey, I don't know about downloading the new version, but the original 12" extended remix is pretty darn awesome!
    Last edited by vcq; 05-21-2011 at 05:07 AM.

"Power" reminded me too much of "Law of the Land". I felt like I'd heard it all before.

Hi guys. I just wrote Soundtree about releasing the Blackberry Power remix, and this was their response:

"We have lots of enquiries about this & we are currently waiting on Motown to give us approval to go ahead & do it. Check our blog as we will let the world know when it us done."

Quote Originally Posted by vcq View Post
    Hi guys. I just wrote Soundtree about releasing the Blackberry Power remix, and this was their response:

"We have lots of enquiries about this & we are currently waiting on Motown to give us approval to go ahead & do it. Check our blog as we will let the world know when it us done."
    wow thanks for doing the legwork on this one! I hope they get a thumbs up from Motown. Motown stopped releasing "Motown Remixed" after vol 2, maybe they can add this one to the vol 3 tracklist and get the ball rolling!

I hope they ask Midnight Johnny to contribute to a Volume 3.

He's earned his props, and with dignity.

Power seemed to be a hit in my little neck of the woods back then [[Chicago/Cincinnati). Here's the Midnight Special performance referred to earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBB57...eature=related

of course i too love this temps classic,but i've read that at the time of it's release some thought of it as a dangerous song as in the case of the race riots in florida in the summer of [80]and some cities backed away from it,i've always looked at it as a case of too much of the same thing,after a decade of singing about the [woes of the world]as otis put it maybe the public wanted something different from our guys,but as for me and many temps fans [power]is a temps classic as is the album itself...TEMPTATIONS FOREVER!!!

Hi guys,

I was just checking to see if there was any update on the remix, and found the following post on YouTube:

"ATTENTION EVERYONE!

I e-mailed Peter Raeburn and he is currently working on the full version and will be done by the end of the month. He said it will be available to download on his website for $1.99 on the 31st. CAN'T WAIT!!! "