[REMOVE ADS]

let's each pick 1 album to revisit and discuss

really enjoy hearing fellow fans comments on some of the albums [[like SE) that they've recently dusted off and revisited.

What's 1 album that you never listen to and would want to pull out, listen closely and then see what you think? maybe some songs jump out to you again, maybe prior feelings are reconfirmed

i'm going to jump into the deep end and pull out Workin' Overtime! lol i never listened to it much even when new. But there are some moments that are actually rather strong - Bottom Line was a high-quality song with a solid vocal from Diana. it was very contemporary for 1989 and if it had been the lead single, perhaps it would have caught on.

This is my brief response about Silk Electric from a thread last week/last month:

I never liked the album SE. Now, I'm coming to terms with the realization that we have a finite number of albums from Diana Ross. [I'm very grateful we have the album Thank You!] I like "Still in Love", "Who" and "In Your Arms" [I think all were potential singles]. "Muscles was sort of fun but not one of my favorite Ross singles or vocals. I thought Ross83 was a much-needed improvement the next year.
    I revisited SE because I am grateful we got Thank You, and I'm hoping it is not the last album we get from her.

I still don't know if I'm up to revisiting Working Overtime, which I never return to. Lol. I'm more open to Eaten Alive, because there are worthy songs there, though, like you, I don't like her muddy vocals on them.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    This is my brief response about Silk Electric from a thread last week/last month:

I revisited SE because I am grateful we got Thank You, and I'm hoping it is not the last album we get from her.

I still don't know if I'm up to revisiting Working Overtime, which I never return to. Lol. I'm more open to Eaten Alive, because there are worthy songs there, though, like you, I don't like her muddy vocals on them.
    haha - you don't have to endure WO if you don't want. any album that you just don't listen to often could work

New Ways but Love Stays.

I think it's perfect from beginning to end. Jean's vocals soar above the clouds, and Mary and Cindy [[with the Andantes) really give the Supremes the "group" feel it once had. My favorite cut is "Thank Him For Today".....with the STONED LOVE outro. Perfection!

I just wish Jean's beads weren't missing, LOL.

The more I’m reading the more I think it’s Brenda and Billie from the undisputed truth doing the extra background vocals instead of the andantes
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    New Ways but Love Stays.

I think it's perfect from beginning to end. Jean's vocals soar above the clouds, and Mary and Cindy [[with the Andantes) really give the Supremes the "group" feel it once had. My favorite cut is "Thank Him For Today".....with the STONED LOVE outro. Perfection!

I just wish Jean's beads weren't missing, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    The more I’m reading the more I think it’s Brenda and Billie from the undisputed truth doing the extra background vocals instead of the andantes
    that certainly could be. aren't they the ones Frank brought in to add the female vocals for the Still Water album? they have a lighter, sweeter sound than the Andantes. compare the female vocals on Love Child, Honey Bee or Forever Came Today with the female voices on Bring Me Together on Still Water.

I've commented on the catalog lps ad nauseam and won't repeat, but will add one thing. It's certainly interesting that lps such as SE and WO still get discussed on pretty much a monthly basis. After all, how often does anyone bring up Smokey's Yes, It's You Lady ['82, same year as SE) or Babyface's Tender Lover ['89, same year as WO)? As much as Diana's lps may be 'loved to be hated', it has to be recognized that at least the lps are remembered and always have fans in on the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    really enjoy hearing fellow fans comments on some of the albums [[like SE) that they've recently dusted off and revisited.

What's 1 album that you never listen to and would want to pull out, listen closely and then see what you think? maybe some songs jump out to you again, maybe prior feelings are reconfirmed

i'm going to jump into the deep end and pull out Workin' Overtime! lol i never listened to it much even when new. But there are some moments that are actually rather strong - Bottom Line was a high-quality song with a solid vocal from Diana. it was very contemporary for 1989 and if it had been the lead single, perhaps it would have caught on.
    The two ballads, “Bottom Line”, “Say We Can” And “Paradise”-[Remix) are all solid songs.
    As i I grow younger, the rest sounds more dated with the passing of the years.

there are a lot of albums in the Sup or DR catalogs that i never really listen too. CW&P, EIE, LSTB, RHRAB and more. it's not that i don't like those albums. just never really think to spin them. people don't have to select one of the dregs lol just an album that you never listen to much.

i did that with Force and was quite impressed with a lot of it. had just sort of overlooked this set

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I've commented on the catalog lps ad nauseam and won't repeat, but will add one thing. It's certainly interesting that lps such as SE and WO still get discussed on pretty much a monthly basis. After all, how often does anyone bring up Smokey's Yes, It's You Lady ['82, same year as SE) or Babyface's Tender Lover ['89, same year as WO)? As much as Diana's lps may be 'loved to be hated', it has to be recognized that at least the lps are remembered and always have fans in on the discussion.
    Shall we discuss Yes It’s You Lady right now PNH?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    that certainly could be. aren't they the ones Frank brought in to add the female vocals for the Still Water album? they have a lighter, sweeter sound than the Andantes. compare the female vocals on Love Child, Honey Bee or Forever Came Today with the female voices on Bring Me Together on Still Water.
    Did Frank Wilson and Norman Whitfield ever work together?

i liked Wo but not the lead single.
    Paradise was a favorite from the start and Keep On Dancin.
    Bottom Line was good and Say We can but i would have replaced the title cut

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Shall we discuss Yes It’s You Lady right now PNH?
    HA! Sure, why not?! No one else will!

"Diana Ross", 1970 Produced by Ashford and Simpson. Every song is a classic. Stellar vocals and musicianship. Standouts are "You're All I Need to Get By" and "These Things"[[will keep me loving you).
    Last edited by TNSUN; 01-07-2022 at 10:18 PM.

The only albums I can listen to [[apart from anthologies) repeatedly are 'The Boss' and 'diana' - both still sounding fresh after all these years.

I still struggle with the “I Love You” album, but refuse to give up. The two good songs being “I Love You” [[best vocal) and “What About Love”.
    It’s ironic given the fifteen years that separate the two albums, Diana’s voice generally sounds so much better on “TY” then “ILY”. Better production and choice of songs I guess.

DR70, DR76, Baby Its Me , the Boss, Diana still sound good to me
    i would include the Force,Take Me Higher,Everyday is
    Last edited by daviddh; 01-09-2022 at 11:53 AM.

i di like More Today Than Yesterday ,To Be Loved as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I still struggle with the “I Love You” album, but refuse to give up. The two good songs being “I Love You” [[best vocal) and “What About Love”.
    It’s ironic given the fifteen years that separate the two albums, Diana’s voice generally sounds so much better on “TY” then “ILY”. Better production and choice of songs I guess.
    Lol. I agree with you, Ollie9. So thankful for Thank You! I struggle with I Love You, because I've been hoping it wasn't the final album we'd get from Diana Ross. I don't play the album, but I like I Love You [That's All That Really Matters], To Be Loved and Always and Forever. I'd come to accept Diana's then 62-year-old voice, so I'm happy that her 77-year-old voice sounds better. I like the much better production, too. For me, the choice of songs is welcome in this time of pandemic and division, at least here in the U.S.