[REMOVE ADS]

Listened To Silk Electric Album For The First Time

To my surprise and delight my local 2nd hand record store had a copy of the expanded cd of Silk Electric..heres my thoughts

always liked "Muscles" love the stark production and beat so we are off to a good start..
    "So Close" from her opening warble Diana is in that 80s-kind-of-just-on-key[[barely) higher register..its an ok song but nothing to shout about..
    "Still in love" had me struggling to hear her in the vocals in the first verse..shes quite muffled and deep in the mix..nice chorus this song really reminds me of the style and production of several cuts from "Eaten Alive" ,which is no bad thing as i personally love that album..this song has grown on me
    "Fool For Your Love'..ive read of comments on this track on this forum but,still,I wasnt prepared - a classic Ross what- was - she - thinking ? moment..its dire.. some have compared it to a Pat Benatar style track,but the Benatar tracks I have heard are much more melodic than this dirge ! she dosent get any points from me for even trying this track.."Up Front" on her next album was a much,much better shaped rock track..still its quite remarkable to think this is from the same lady who can do Jazz or Rogders and hart songbook..she dosent limit herself..but this track should NEVER have made the cut.
    Next comes "Who" - love it great catchy chorus and should have been the follow on single from "Muscles" instead of just a single release in the Netherlands only..the production reminds me a little of Chic,which is a good thing..
    liked "Love lies" although i like the verses better than a chorus still, its great to hear her backing harmony with her main vocal..nice drumming but let down imo by a lacklustre chorus
    "In Your Arms" i had liked since the RCA years compilation and this is an underated track from the opening shes vunerable,tender and this song has a stunning backing vocal from her which sounds thought out and nicely produced. Ive always wondered how the following cover version of this track by Whitney & Teddy was able to change the title to "Hold Me"..i thought once a track is copyrighted you couldnt change the name..its a very rare occurence of it happening..I much prefer Diana's version to Whitneys
    "Any Where You Run To" is nice,if not special, its well produced and has a good vocal from Diana and some popping drums
    "Iam Me" this track is growing on me.. love the soft reggae beat and it has a nifty bass - again Diana is doing backing vocals which are at a nice volume down level mix in the track

Overall it thought it was a pleasant listen[[apart from the horrific Fool For) Diana as a producer obviously excels at arranging double - vocals for herself and she is competent at selecting good musicans that perform - not outstanding results but Im glad I finally have this album

I remember playing this album quite often when I first purchased it, although I didn't like it as much as its predecessor. At the time, I really liked MUSCLES, FOOL FOR YOUR LOVE, ANYWHERE YOU RUN TO, and I AM ME. Over the years, I've become less enamored of it and rarely play it.

I think we've all stated our views on Silk many times over the years - personally I'm in the pro-column on it.

Still In Love and Love Lies were classic cases of lost hits in the UK.

When Diana left Motown she was released on Capitol in the UK which was still under the EMI umbrella but whereas before they had been quite proactive in releasing different singles to the US they just seemed to follow the RCA line - such a pity.

ive always liked this album , and totally agree in regards to Who. should have been a single in place of So Close

No love, "Turn Me Over"?

I loved this album when it was first released. “Love Lies” and “Still in love” are beautiful IMO. I really didn’t care for “Fool For Your Love” until I saw her perform it live. At the Oakland Colosseum arena in the round She rocked that song live. It was one of the highlights of her show. Many people who heard it live. Loved it.

This is quite a strange album. The only tracks I really love, and had hit potential IMO, are "Muscles" and "In Your Arms". "Still In Love" is nice, and "Anywhere You Run To" is enjoyable!

The rest are trash LOLOL. Ok that’s harsh, but I don’t really like any of the other tracks, not even "So Close".

it's a fun album to discuss as there are many pointed views on it. stylistically i'm ok with it. she's do so many albums and projects by this point - i sort of feel it's like she decided "ok i want to do an album where on each song it's a totally different style and sound and approach. something experimental" So i get go along with the 50s, disco, ballads, hard rock, reggae, pop etc.

and i think Turn Me Over is sort of fun!

what i don't like is her lazy vocals and the excessive reverb applied to her vocals

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    This is quite a strange album. The only tracks I really love, and had hit potential IMO, are "Muscles" and "In Your Arms". "Still In Love" is nice, and "Anywhere You Run To" is enjoyable!

The rest are trash LOLOL. Ok that’s harsh, but I don’t really like any of the other tracks, not even "So Close".
    Lol. I especially don't like "So Close"! I even prefer "Fool For Your Love"

I never liked the album SE. Now, I'm coming to terms with the realization that we have a finite number of albums from Diana Ross. [I'm very grateful we have the album Thank You!] I like "Still in Love", "Who" and "In Your Arms" [I think all were potential singles]. "Muscles was sort of fun but not one of my favorite Ross singles or vocals. I thought Ross83 was a much-needed improvement the next year.