[REMOVE ADS]

Diana - Not Over You Yet

A song that rarely gets a mention; I always thought this song to Diana was what "Believe" was to Cher. This should have brought Diana back to the top. I was a DJ when this came out and I played it to death; it always got a great response. If I'm not mistaken, Tina Turner's "When the Heartache is Over" came out right around the same time. Was great to have some fantastic singles at the time from these legendary artists.

Diana looks good, too.

L O V E it
    should have been a hit ,but not released in usa

One of my favorite songs on Every Day is a New day, but I don't think if it had been given a single release in the US if would have done anything beyond the clubs. Cher's Believe was a fluke. Most of the songs hitting in 1999 were teen pop resurgence acts like Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Destiny's Child, etc.

NOYY was a deserved big hit in the UK. It should have been followed up with Carry On.

How I adored this song. Also Until We Meet Again & Someone You Loved Before. Diana made some truly beautiful adult albums of quality original material around this time. I'll never understand why they weren't more successful.

Until We Meet Again was to be the follow up to NOYY in the UK and they got as far as distributing promo copies to DJs and Radio to great feedback.

Apparently Diana wasn't available to do promotion [[according to Bluebrock) so they decided to pull it.

i find the entire Everyday set to be very strong. stylistically it's my fav of her 90s motown work. while i agree if you focus too much just on the lyric it gets a little depressing, i find the sound and style of music more appealing than the content on the prior 3 Motown 2 albums. just personal preferences. overall i like the dance music of the late 90s/early 00s better than the early 90s

i think the upbeat version of Until We Meet Again was the strongest. I'm stuck on what i would release as first single. I really like Carry On and it might have worked as the lead single. while it's a remake, it's of a more obscure song [[unlike I Will Survive) and it's just a sensational performance from Diana.

Until we Meet Again is another possibility but it might be viewed a bit as a "Believe" knock off. but still could have worked.

not over you yet isn't as strong IMO. solid dance track but i think there isn't enough melody to really carry is as a radio-friendly single

I think until we meet again would it make noise and at least gotten her foot in the door, the not over you yet remix works for me very well and I love the video. This was just a terrible 12 months for Miss Ross where nothing worked out right.

sounds ok !

Out of context it does that certain sound rather well, don't know if it was cutting edge at the time ....or a sound that was by then getting well worn?? That it wasn't promoted to the US dance scene does not bode well.

All that bother to dress up in tight red leather and be center stage to a dance troop ....only to mostly just stand there ....I guess that little bit of swaying must have wore her out, because by the end she's napping in the prop car's back -seat. lol!

I’ve listened to this one a couple of times before but am really appreciating it at this point. Really good song.

Yes, like the song too! In 2001 it was re-reased as includes as second song from the cd single "going back", nice song, but there is something quite not right with the mixing of the choir, but that is just my humble opinion.
    And 10 points for those who catch the grammar or spelling mistake....
    Name:  IMG_7069.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  11.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_7070.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  8.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7071.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  7.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_7072.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  9.3 KB

For the U.S. market, Sugarfree was the perfect single. It managed to get airplay even not being officially released.

The song is so fresh, so catchy, radio friendly, and up to par with contemporary artists of the time - Janet, TLC, Whitney etc.

And still sounds fresh. It's youthful yet classic Diana.

For me, it was the only song that had real potential to make it somehow on the U.S. airwaves.

The metro remix of Not Over You Yet was a great choice for the U.K. market and european countries.

If only Emi UK had managed Diana's career in U.S... They did know how to market her music. Motown in the 90s didn't have a clue how to deal with Diana.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 01-06-2022 at 11:14 AM.

[QUOTE=1382hitsville;681097]
    And 10 points for those who catch the grammar or spelling mistake....
    Name:  IMG_7069.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  11.0 KB

That's how one knows it's a single from the Netherlands. Typical Dutch mistake -- phonetically spelling of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    For the U.S. market, Sugarfree was the perfect single. It managed to get airplay even not being officially released.

The song is so fresh, so catchy, radio friendly, and up to par with contemporary artists of the time - Janet, TLC, Whitney etc.

And still sounds fresh. It's youthful yet classic Diana.

For me, it was the only song that had real potential to make it somehow on the U.S. airwaves.

The metro remix of Not Over You Yet was a great choice for the U.K. market and european countries.

If only Emi UK had managed Diana's career in U.S... They did know how to market her music. Motown in the 90s didn't have a clue how to deal with Diana.
    yes! sugarfree was a solid song. should have/could have done much more

the video doesn't match the lyrics. the upbeat tempo. It's dark and ugly, seedy .....so I guess the point is the sex she's craving, the way he 'loved ' her was as well ....

This is Diana's performance from An Evening With Diana Ross in the UK, where the song reached #9!!

Was it the remix that hit the charts in the UK? I'm only familiar with the album version from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Was it the remix that hit the charts in the UK? I'm only familiar with the album version from the US.
    I believe so thommg. I too was familiar with the original first, which I loved, but the remix is pretty good too.

I have to say, the remix leans quite a lot towards the genre of UK garage, which was very popular at the time. I imagine this is why it was such a big hit!

Ross looks FANTASTIC in the video for NOYY.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

This is Diana's performance from An Evening With Diana Ross in the UK, where the song reached #9!!

Not the least bit convincing that Ross is "feeling it" while struggling to be a part of the groove. She looks out of her element like a [wiggling] fish out of water.

At 2:47 I tried to read her mind as she looks on, and I think she's thinking "for this I left Vegas!".....lol!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-07-2022 at 11:45 PM.

and I have never seen a more awkward , sort of unpleasant tonguey wink....[who is that guy that's uncomfortably reacting?]
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-08-2022 at 12:57 PM.

Sugarfree, totally forgot about that and it charted on the r@b charts, i think in the 60s ,
    i dont get the Pull the song with a great video.
    for me its matter of choice
    on VH1 Divas ,she could have performed it instead of one of her classics and the RTL tour, she could have easily replace one of the older hits for newer material in her solo set. originally the tour was to promote EDIAND but became the Supremes event.
    to me with Mary and Cindy not signing on , she should went back to the original concept and had a set with Scherrie and Lynda and the rest her new material

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

and I have never seen a more awkward , sort of unpleasant tonguey wink....[who is that guy that's uncomfortably reacting?]
    I guess she was trying to be game and trying to keep up to date with that performance. The dancers are so cheesy though. Use of dancers on Return to Love concert was also cheesy and distracting and unnecessary and not true to what The Supremes were. I know many are tired of her current show she's doing, but one of the best things about her concerts over the last 15 years or so is that it's just her and a band up there on stage. She's in her comfort zone with such a set up. She's not in her comfort zone doing this lip synch to a remix of Not Over You Yet with all those dancers on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Not sure who he is, but earlier in this same concert Diana flirted with him playfully when he came on stage to retrieve her earring. She jokingly told the audience she was considering making a May/December romance film, teasing him.

I think the chap is an ex footballer called Ian Wright.
    Last edited by rovereab; 01-09-2022 at 03:30 PM.