[REMOVE ADS]

One woman collection

Had a long drive for the holiday n grabbed this cd, but after listening , I didn't feel it captured or really represented Diana completely. But , not sure any single cd could
    I didn't like the four Supremes songs included, although I understand why, but to me it takes away from other Ross gems not included.
    I would have added. Remember Me, Getting Ready For Love, Missing You, Muscles
    Any thoughts.
    wish we could get a collection with all the gems like In The Ones You Love ,Going Back,Promise Me You'll Try,You Are Not Alone.
    i used to have these all but somehow misplaced them
    Last edited by daviddh; 12-25-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Had a long drive for the holiday n grabbed this cd, but after listening , I didn't feel it captured or really represented Diana completely. But , not sure any single cd could
    I didn't like the four Supremes songs included, although I understand why, but to me it takes away from other Ross gems not included.
    I would have added. Remember Me, Getting Ready For Love, Missing You, Muscles
    Any thoughts.
    wish we could get a collection with all the gems like In The Ones You Love ,Going Back,Promise Me You'll Try,You Are Not Alone.
    i used to have these all but somehow misplaced them
    I’ve built my own ultimate collection in my head several times, lol. I agree One Woman is a excellent glimpse, but only a glimpse into Diana’s catalogue.

I think u said it right, this is a glimpse

I think it was just put out to have a current single compilation in the stores at the time and made a nice alternative to the boxed set for those who didn't need or want four discs. But yes, there's no way a single cd could be an ultimate collection.

I like the word “glimpse” in relation to the release. The 4 CD box set Forever Diana could therefore be described as a “gaze”, how can such an expansive musical career be distilled down to such a degree.

The Ultimate Collection probably provided enough interest for the casual Diana Ross fan and perhaps tempted some to delve deeper and buy other album releases.

This WiKi is interesting, especially the 4xplatinum standing for sales in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Wo...ate_Collection

Season’s Greetings!

I believe this was mainly put together for the International market in particular the UK.

There wasn't that much difference in the track listings between the two versions - we got 3 new songs on it but you'd have to wonder why the US release included songs like When You Tell Me That You Love Me, One Shining Moment and If We Hold On Together although it did include Missing You not on the International version.

Who released the album in the US?

Even when Diana left Motown for RCA she was still licenced to the same Company in the UK so wouldn't they have had to pay for the inclusion of the RCA tracks in the US?

Massive in the UK it was the biggest selling album in the week leading up to Christmas 1993 over 220k copies sold at retail.

yeah i believe the intent was to boil the box set down into a single cd release. there was so much media attention to her 30th anniversary that they wanted a single disc companion to the box.

as with any GH collection, there's always opinions on what to include/not include

i think Where and BL are the most obvious. and since this was originally a UK release, YCHL has to be added. these were the 3 largest songs from the original lineup in the UK. it does seem a bit odd that Stop wasn't included but it did make it onto the US version. From the DRATS era, Reflections was, i think, the highest UK charting tune. Plus you had China Beach as a recent big TV hit which used the song as it's theme. and i think it's a fav of Diana's

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I believe this was mainly put together for the International market in particular the UK.

There wasn't that much difference in the track listings between the two versions - we got 3 new songs on it but you'd have to wonder why the US release included songs like When You Tell Me That You Love Me, One Shining Moment and If We Hold On Together although it did include Missing You not on the International version.

Who released the album in the US?

Even when Diana left Motown for RCA she was still licenced to the same Company in the UK so wouldn't they have had to pay for the inclusion of the RCA tracks in the US?

Massive in the UK it was the biggest selling album in the week leading up to Christmas 1993 over 220k copies sold at retail.
    Motown released it in the US. It led to a new series of ULTIMATE COLLECTION releases by many of their classic acts.

i think her Anthology set has the best overview of her career
    so many gems to include in one collection

I'm sure the One Woman Ultimate Collection CD served both to satisfy the casual fans and be a gateway for newly minted Diana Ross fans in the 90s.

Agreed.i don't think it got a lot of pr here but ,we the fans bought it up.