[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ace Records' "All Turned On!" Coming Early 2022?

Although there is nothing yet on the Ace Records website, I just read in Adam White's West Grand Blog that a new compilation entitled "All Turned On!" featuring James Jameson and other Funk Brothers is due "early in '22." Included on the instrumental compilation is supposed to be Motown instrumentals "by the likes of Earl Van Dyke, Johnny Griffith, Choker Campbell, and the San Remo Golden Strings." Sounds as though a great new collection [hopefully consisting more of never-before-released material] is coming our way. Thanks to Adam for putting out what seems to be the first word about it!

yes..exciting news.
    Presume Bob Wilson Ric Tic track featured?
    can't wait for this

Wonderful news Dan, and a very Merry Christmas to you and all members.

Thanks for the news danman869 about Ace Records' upcoming All Turned On! collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Wonderful news Dan, and a very Merry Christmas to you and all members.
    Merry Christmas to you, too, Roger! And it IS wonderful news!

When "Good Good Feeling! More Motown Girls" was completed, Keith Hughes indicated on Soulful Detroit that his next project was a collection of Motown Instrumentals. Glad to see that it is forthcoming.

I hope I like any Workshop recordings included.

I can't wait for this!

I've a feeling this is an extension of a idea that Keith [[Hughes) put out some time ago about a possible San Remo Strings set.
    Last edited by booty; 12-26-2021 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I hope I like any Workshop recordings included.
    The mention of Johnny Griffiths suggests some Workshop Jazz doesn't it?

Here's the track list for All Turned On! and, yes, Snakepit, we did include the only Bob Wilson track we've found in the Vaults! Due in February: I'll post the cover pic when I have it.

1. FESTIVAL TIME ● THE SAN REMO GOLDEN STRINGS [[1966)
    2. COME SEE ABOUT ME ● CHOKER CAMPBELL’S BIG BAND [[1964)
    3. I CAN’T HELP MYSELF [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) ● EARL VAN DYKE & THE SOUL BROTHERS [[1965)
    4. TRUE FINE BOY ● THE FUNK BROTHERS [[2020)
    5. SWEET SOUL ● JR WALKER & THE ALL STARS [[1967)
    6. UPTIGHT [[Everything’s Alright) ● JONAH JONES [[1969)
    7. LET ME LOOSE ● STEVIE WONDER [[2005)
    8. ALL TURNED ON ● BOB WILSON & THE SAN REMO QUARTET [[1965)
    9. THE BREAK DOWN ● CHOKER CAMPBELL’S BIG BAND [[2022)
    10. GRAZING IN THE GRASS ● EIVETS REDNOW [[1968)
    11. CHICKEN LITTLE 69 ● EARL VAN DYKE & THE SOUL BROTHERS [[2019)
    12. UPTIGHT ● HERMAN GRIFFIN & BAND [[1962)
    13. I’MI SEE YOU LATER ● JOHNNY GRIFFITH TRIO [[1962)
    14. L.B.J. ● EARL VAN DYKE & THE SOUL BROTHERS [[2022)
    15. DEFUNK BROTHERS ● FRANK MORELLI [[2022)
    16. GET READY ● JONAH JONES [[2018)
    17. ICH-I-BON #1 ● NICK & THE JAGUARS [[1960)
    18. DOUBLE 0 AND A HALF ● THE AGENTS [[2017)
    19. HOT SAUSAGE ● THE MYSTERIONS [[2012)
    20. LITTLE MACK’S SHUFFLE ● MORROCCO MUZIK MAKERS [[2022)
    21. GOOD ROCKIN’ ● JR WALKER & THE ALL STARS [[1963)
    22. GREAT GOOGLE MOOK ● THE MYSTERIONS [[2022)
    23. SOUL LINE ● THE AGENTS [[2017)
    24. PAPA HOOPER’S BARRELHOUSE GROOVE ● THE CRUSADERS [[1972)

Thanks Keith...nice present for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Here's the track list for All Turned On! and, yes, Snakepit, we did include the only Bob Wilson track we've found in the Vaults! Due in February: I'll post the cover pic when I have it.

1. FESTIVAL TIME ● THE SAN REMO GOLDEN STRINGS [[1966)
    2. COME SEE ABOUT ME ● CHOKER CAMPBELL’S BIG BAND [[1964)
    3. I CAN’T HELP MYSELF [[Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) ● EARL VAN DYKE & THE SOUL BROTHERS [[1965)
    4. TRUE FINE BOY ● THE FUNK BROTHERS [[2020)
    5. SWEET SOUL ● JR WALKER & THE ALL STARS [[1967)
    6. UPTIGHT [[Everything’s Alright) ● JONAH JONES [[1969)
    7. LET ME LOOSE ● STEVIE WONDER [[2005)
    8. ALL TURNED ON ● BOB WILSON & THE SAN REMO QUARTET [[1965)
    9. THE BREAK DOWN ● CHOKER CAMPBELL’S BIG BAND [[2022)
    10. GRAZING IN THE GRASS ● EIVETS REDNOW [[1968)
    11. CHICKEN LITTLE 69 ● EARL VAN DYKE & THE SOUL BROTHERS [[2019)
    12. UPTIGHT ● HERMAN GRIFFIN & BAND [[1962)
    13. I’MI SEE YOU LATER ● JOHNNY GRIFFITH TRIO [[1962)
    14. L.B.J. ● EARL VAN DYKE & THE SOUL BROTHERS [[2022)
    15. DEFUNK BROTHERS ● FRANK MORELLI [[2022)
    16. GET READY ● JONAH JONES [[2018)
    17. ICH-I-BON #1 ● NICK & THE JAGUARS [[1960)
    18. DOUBLE 0 AND A HALF ● THE AGENTS [[2017)
    19. HOT SAUSAGE ● THE MYSTERIONS [[2012)
    20. LITTLE MACK’S SHUFFLE ● MORROCCO MUZIK MAKERS [[2022)
    21. GOOD ROCKIN’ ● JR WALKER & THE ALL STARS [[1963)
    22. GREAT GOOGLE MOOK ● THE MYSTERIONS [[2022)
    23. SOUL LINE ● THE AGENTS [[2017)
    24. PAPA HOOPER’S BARRELHOUSE GROOVE ● THE CRUSADERS [[1972)
    Thanks for the track list, Keith! It should be a great collection to look forward to in February 2022! We know there is more San Remo Golden Strings out there, but could there be more unreleased Funk Brothers material in the vaults to potentially warrant a "Volume 2"-type release of this disc?

5 previously unreleased [in any form] tracks.Thank you, Keith.

A mouth-watering track listing.

Thanks for posting this. Exciting news for 2022!

Great cross section of artists and styles tolook forward to with this release. Gonna have to buy the CD. That Nick & The Jaguars is an interesting track - I know we already have it but I'm glad it's included here to help emphasise the range of styles. "Good Rockin'" is one of Junior's finest I think. And where do these unreleased tracks keep appearing from - wow.

r

Fantastic! I love these releases that explore a part of the Motown music legacy which isn’t often exploited. So glad to see this one is coming soon. I bought the two Motown jazz downloads which were available, I believe from the unreleased series, and I also have a two CD set of Motown jazz which is a Japanese issue. They’re all great to listen to because so much of the material I haven’t heard before. Great news on this one!

Seems like a cool collection! Although I think I’d prefer CD/digital reissues of Choker Campbell's album, the San Remo Strings' Ric-Tic/Gordy LPs, and Jonah Jones' two Motown albums. But that’s just me being very picky and quite unrealistic! Still very glad to see this

[[None of those albums have been reissued, have they?)

Tomato Tom, "Hits Of The Sixties" by Choker Campbell and "Hungry For Love" by San Remo Golden Strings have appeared as bootlegs via Marginal.

Tomato Tom, "Hits Of The Sixties" by Choker Campbell and "Hungry For Love" by San Remo Golden Strings have appeared as bootlegs via Marginal.
    Thanks Roger. It’d be good to see an official reissue!

Not on this CD, but my favourite San Remo...
    "I'm Satisfied"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C5du-PECbuU

Name:  CDTOP 1613a.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  93.0 KB

Front cover from ACE Website.
    Last edited by booty; 01-11-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Excellent ..always liked this photi.
    I think I recognise Paul Riser, Robert White, Henry Cosby, James Jamerson...and Stevie

I`ve just ordered mine. Isn`t that Jack Ashford on vibes?

It's a "staged" shot: Jack Ashford wasn't available. I believe that with Stevie, it's [[L to R) Paul Riser, George Bohannon, Herbie Williams, Robert White, Hank Cosby and James Jamerson. Hank was a tenor sax man, I don't think he played vibes.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 01-11-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks Keith. Will there be pictures of: Nick & the Jaguars, Frank Morelli, Morrocco Muzic Makers, Agents and Mysterions?

Not that I know of! And I've just discovered [[too late for publication), from https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/sto...ic-scene,16541, that "Ich-I-Bon" is correctly spelt "Itchi-Bon"! Good story, check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Name:  CDTOP 1613a.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  93.0 KB

Front cover from ACE Website.
    Great cover! It so evokes the Choker Campbell cover!

Name:  Campbell.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  85.2 KB

It's a "staged" shot: Jack Ashford wasn't available. I believe that with Stevie, it's [[L to R) Paul Riser, George Bohannon, Herbie Williams, Robert White, Hank Cosby and James Jamerson. Hank was a tenor sax man, I don't think he played vibes.
    Interesting that Keith. I've seen the picture loads of times and it's only this time I thought: "That's not Ashford on vibes!!" Thanks for the full info

Does Motown have the rights to any of the Ric Tic instrumental B sides? For instance The Deroit Emeralds' "Shades Down" is an instrumental in the San Remo Strings' "Hungry For Love" style, and would be perfect for Volume 2.

The two Ric-Tic sides we've re-issued on this CD first came out in the UK on the Tamla Motown label, and Ace were able to license them fairly easily. Anything on the Golden World group of labels that was not released on a Motown label back in the day might be a bit harder to get ... we didn't try.

And we very carefully didn't title this CD "Volume 1", but I appreciate your enthusiasm, 144man!
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 01-23-2022 at 12:40 PM.

The two Ric-Tic sides we've re-issued on this CD first came out in the UK on the Tamla Motown label, and Ace were able to license them fairly easily. Anything on the Golden World group of labels that was not released on a Motown label back in the day might be a bit harder to get ... we didn't try.

And we very carefully didn't title this CD "Volume 1", but I appreciate your enthusiasm, 144man!
    I must confess I have a vested interest in this. My copy of the record was pressed slightly off-centre, so the sound reproduction is distorted.

Here's a link to YouTube for San Remo Strings lovers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1s-aiFts8

Track samples are up at Ace!!

In post 32, I forget to put that the link was to The Detroit Emeralds' Shades Down.

I am anxious to hear what the UK fans think of this I think it’s coming out very shortly there. We won’t get it here in the states till mid March I think.

In the good old days, I'd have picked up my copy from a " record shop". I'll have to order from Ace .

ImportCDs is offering this for only $13.99 compared to Amazons pre-order price of $22.99. Even if you get free shipping with Amazon I think you can still save about five dollars ordering it from ImportCDs.

My copy arrived this morning.

Thanks for the info Kenneth, I just ordered one from them.
    Darin

My copy turned up today. In answer to your question, glorious sound, warm and enveloping - and I'm no good at describing things, but I think I could easily let it play and play and...

And a huge thank you to all at Ace for once again creating a wonderful piece of nostalgia.

Lovely postscript written about the Funk Brothers by Keith Hughes at the end of the booklet.
    Last edited by reachoutuk; 02-23-2022 at 05:15 PM.

I got an "in stock" notice on this from Dusty Groove today for $14.99 and decided to snag it at that decent price AND much sooner than Amazon will probably ever have it [it's still offering the vague, "we will e-mail you when we have an estimated delivery date"]. Once I get shipping confirmation, I'll go ahead and cancel my Amazon order for it. Looking forward to hearing this Motown instrumentals collection! Bring on Volume 2! LOL

A very enjoyable listen and some excellent new tracks. "L.B.J." is my favourite with "Little Mack`s Boogie" , "The Break Down" and "Great Google Mook" not far behind. Stevie`s "Let Me Loose" is one I had forgotten as it`s from "Workout Stevie Workout" which I have on cd but seldom play.
    As usual the packaging and annotations are first rate. Many thanks to Keith and the team.
    A "Volume 2" as suggested by danman869 would be very welcome and maybe something from Shorty Long and Jr. Walker`s "Mutiny" could be included.

@roger,

Can’t wait to hear this. I know mine is on the way to me from ImportCDs.

I was wondering,I know that Stevie Wonder’s unreleased album was available on download at one time. Do you have a legitimate CD release of it, or did you burn a CD from the download? Just curious.

I rarely buy downloads, I believe that one was available as part of a download release of nearly all of his early material. Of course I wanted to hear that unreleased album, but I didn’t want to buy everything else just to get it.

Kenneth, I only downloaded the tracks that were unreleased from this collection and was able to produce the CD. "Workout Stevie Workout" consists of:
    "Workout Stevie Workout"
    "I Call It Pretty Music..."
    "Contract On Love"
    "I`ll Always Be In Love"
    "Old Folks"
    "Monkey Talk"
    "Let Me Loose"
    "Birth Of The Blues"
    "Mack The Knife"
    "Your Cheatin` Heart"
    "Undecided"
    "Satin Doll"
    If you have any problems obtaining those tracks put your address in my box and I`ll send you a copy.

Kenneth, I only downloaded the tracks that were unreleased from this collection and was able to produce the CD. "Workout Stevie Workout" consists of:
    "Workout Stevie Workout"
    "I Call It Pretty Music..."
    "Contract On Love"
    "I`ll Always Be In Love"
    "Old Folks"
    "Monkey Talk"
    "Let Me Loose"
    "Birth Of The Blues"
    "Mack The Knife"
    "Your Cheatin` Heart"
    "Undecided"
    "Satin Doll"
    If you have any problems obtaining those tracks put your address in my box and I`ll send you a copy.

Thanks! My problem is I don't have a burner anymore. I used to have a desktop as well as a laptop but when I moved recently I just consolidated everything on the laptop without getting a CD burner. They're easy enough to add; I would just use it so rarely it hardly seems worth it. But I'll take a listen to the tracks I can find, and thanks again!

Was "Pretty Music" the same as appeared earlier...wasn't it on "The Jazz Soul," or maybe it was just one side of it. I know they amped it up for the Blues comp that came out several years later. I love that version of the song myself, but it's the first one I ever heard so you know how that goes.

I bet his versions of Birth of the Blues [[I love that song by almost anybody), Mack the Knife, and Your Cheatin' Heart are great to listen to. Satin Doll must be the Ellington composition.

"Pretty Music" is only on this album Kenneth and I can`t recall whether I actually downloaded this or I used part one of the released version.This version is 2.50. which is different to the released versions which are 2.32. and 2.29. for the 2nd version.

Thanks for the info, Roger...K

My pleasure Kenneth. My collection is for sharing so if you change your mind... I notice the "Stevie Wonder Collection" is no longer available for download.

My pleasure Kenneth. My collection is for sharing so if you change your mind... I notice the "Stevie Wonder Collection" is no longer available for download.
    I think I already did… Thanks!

"The Complete Stevie Wonder" is available on listening platforms such as YouTube Music and this includes the tracks from the "Workout Stevie Workout" album.