[REMOVE ADS]

Where Do I Go/Good Morning Starshine Question

a couple of questions about this sublime track -
    1.)Are there more than Mary and Cindy singing on the intro ? it kind of sounds like a bit of a choir going on..at 1.28 Ive always thought i heard Mary..now im not so sure

2.) is it correct that the version released on the hollywood palace album & supremes anthology is NOT the version aired on tv ? anyone know why ?

Sounds like the first half of the song is a choir of voices including males then Mary and Cindy come in for Good Morning Starshine. And yes the version is different than the one that aired on TV as well as Mary's Can't Take My Eyes Off You which does not have Diana and Cindy's backup vocals on the album version.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Sounds like the first half of the song is a choir of voices including males then Mary and Cindy come in for Good Morning Starshine. And yes the version is different than the one that aired on TV as well as Mary's Can't Take My Eyes Off You which does not have Diana and Cindy's backup vocals on the album version.
    thank you floyjoy merry xmas to you..I love this track and how Gil conducts the band out of starshine back into where do i go it just flows..pure genius

i have to say i prefer the broadcast version to the one on the lp.

and i have to say i kind of like the girls' outfits for this. while not matching gowns, they're definitely coordinated and contemporary. there are some pics of DMC in random individual outfits on stage and the look is too disconnected. but here it works nicely. similar to the white outfits MJL wore on FJ - different yet coordinated

On the Hollywood Palace album, in addition to the Supremes and J5 tracks, the Gladys Knight and the Pips tracks are not the same as what aired on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    On the Hollywood Palace album, in addition to the Supremes and J5 tracks, the Gladys Knight and the Pips tracks are not the same as what aired on tv.
    I wonder why that was Reese are the other tracks on the LP different to the aired versions in a major or slight way ?

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I wonder why that was Reese are the other tracks on the LP different to the aired versions in a major or slight way ?
    The version of I WANT YOU BACK lip-synced on the tv show has the same vocal but it has a different mix [[with additional background vocals) that I'm not sure has ever been released.

The other tracks on the album are the same as what aired on tv [[Diana/Stevie duets), and the studio version of SOMEDAY.

I gather like on most tv shows there were multiple takes done, and when compiling the album, Deke Richards picked what he thought was best. The same thing happened with DIANA! Most of the vocals on the album are different from those on the tv special.

The version of I WANT YOU BACK lip-synced on the tv show has the same vocal but it has a different mix [[with additional background vocals) that I'm not sure has ever been released.

The other tracks on the album are the same as what aired on tv [[Diana/Stevie duets), and the studio version of SOMEDAY.

I gather like on most tv shows there were multiple takes done, and when compiling the album, Deke Richards picked what he thought was best. The same thing happened with DIANA! Most of the vocals on the album are different from those on the tv special.
    Fascinating info Reese I remember Deke contributing to this forum what that would have been what, 13 yrs ago ? he did a similar style of patchwork putting Farewell together

Fascinating info Reese I remember Deke contributing to this forum what that would have been what, 13 yrs ago ? he did a similar style of patchwork putting Farewell together
    For the Hollywood Palace album, Deke even had to bring Diana into the studio to record an introduction for Gladys Knight and the Pips because they never actually appeared on an episode with the Supremes.

For the Hollywood Palace album, Deke even had to bring Diana into the studio to record an introduction for Gladys Knight and the Pips because they never actually appeared on an episode with the Supremes.
    im currently reading "Untouchable - The Strange Life & Tragic Death Of Michael Jackson" by Randall Sullivan.. im up to J5 debuting on the show theres a couple of very astute and well written refrences to Diana..but i dont think i'll get thru the whole book..its too grim it alternates between the past and then present problems of Michael..its too tragic

thank you floyjoy merry xmas to you..I love this track and how Gil conducts the band out of starshine back into where do i go it just flows..pure genius
    I agree, I really like the interplay between the two songs at the end there as well. It really works.

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you nomis

a couple of questions about this sublime track -
    1.)Are there more than Mary and Cindy singing on the intro ? it kind of sounds like a bit of a choir going on..at 1.28 Ive always thought i heard Mary..now im not so sure

2.) is it correct that the version released on the hollywood palace album & supremes anthology is NOT the version aired on tv ? anyone know why ?
    it has to do with music rights of the show. If they lip a pre-recorded full production, they already have the rights, but performances initiated at the show are owned by the show and would have a price tag.

If you watch the Bing Crosby special medley, all of his songs by the Beatles are edited out of the official rebroadcast. Evidently, use of those songs was an issue somehow. If you notice, it’s been completely re-edited visually as well and there’s a couple extra shots of Mary and Cindy.

Did Gil Askey conduct and/or arrange this for the Hollywood Palace performance? Or was it the Hollywood Palace show conductor/arranger, whoever he or she might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Did Gil Askey conduct and/or arrange this for the Hollywood Palace performance? Or was it the Hollywood Palace show conductor/arranger, whoever he or she might be?
    On the soundtrack album, Gil is credited with the arrangement. But during the show credits, he isn't listed so he may not have conducted it.

On the soundtrack album, Gil is credited with the arrangement. But during the show credits, he isn't listed so he may not have conducted it.
    Thanks for the info and quick reply! I really like this number. I wonder if it ever became a part of their show [[either with Diana or Jean)?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Thanks for the info and quick reply! I really like this number. I wonder if it ever became a part of their show [[either with Diana or Jean)?
    I don't see it any of their concert reviews from that period. But it seems too good a medley just to do once on tv.

I don't see it any of their concert reviews from that period. But it seems too good a medley just to do once on tv.
    i'm not aware of it being added to the show. at some point they decided to add Sunshine to the show - not sure when though. but wouldn't have been all that long after this tv appearance. Hollywood Palace was on 10/18. Someday was released on 10/14.

they also appeared on the Tonight Show on 11/11 - i'd guess that they did Someday there too.

so at some point along here they would have been doing some version of their Farewell live set.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

they also appeared on the Tonight Show on 11/11 - i'd guess that they did Someday there too.
    I believe Bradsupremes posted recently that they did THE LADY IS A TRAMP/LET'S GET AWAY FROM IT ALL and promoted G.I.T. during this appearance.

I believe Bradsupremes posted recently that they did THE LADY IS A TRAMP/LET'S GET AWAY FROM IT ALL and promoted G.I.T. during this appearance.
    Here is that clip:

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Here is that clip:
    esterday, 10:45 PM
    reese

Join DateAug 2010Posts7,641Rep Power233

Originally Posted by sup_fan

That's from Hollywood Palace, not Tonight Show. A shame that much of the Johnny Carson performances from the 60s has been lost, taped over, or misplaced.

Gil did conduct the TV taping ..Diana asks him for the cue to start "Love Child" just after she has brought the kids on stage