[REMOVE ADS]

Farewell Wanda Rogers

Hearing very sad news of Wanda Rogers passing.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Hearing very sad news of Wanda Rogers passing.
    Where'd you hear this? Not finding anything corroborating as yet.

I read this about an hour ago in the Marvelettes Facebook group and couldn't believe what I was reading but I haven't seen it anywhere else. I pray it is not true but the administrator of their Facebook group mentioned that Wanda's children informed her of the passing. I don't see her posting something she didn't verify.

How many times have we been down this road? While it may possibly turn out to be true
    in the next 10 minutes, hour or day I think it's always a pain in the ass when news like
    this is passed along without giving a source. WTF?.........Really!......WTF?......

there's a perverse desire by some to be the first with such news . never understood it.

Sadly, Wanda has passed.
    Wanda's son, Robert Rogers III called to inform me at 2:30am.
    Prayers to family, fans and loved ones.
    Rest easy, Wanda ...thank you for the music!

What a f+++ed up way to have news passed along.....

Quote Originally Posted by pc_1 View Post
    Sadly, Wanda has passed.
    Wanda's son, Robert Rogers III called to inform me at 2:30am.
    Prayers to family, fans and loved ones.
    Rest easy, Wanda ...thank you for the music!
    Thanks for the confirmation, Pat. May God rest her soul and comfort the family.

Sorry to hear of this sad news. Wanda always had that certain something that attracted me to her...you can't put your finger on it but she had it. I bet should could be great fun to be around at times. Condolences to her family.
    Darin

This is heartbreaking in view of the following. Please Mr. Postman was released in the USA on August 21, 1961 on the Tamla label 54046. It started it's climb up the charts causing Motown to release an album by the same name, TM-228. On December 11, 1961 the song hit #1 on the Billboard Pop Singles charts. As everyone probably knows this was the very first #1 hit on any Motown Record Corp. label.

Her legacy will live forever. Thanks Wanda, you were the greatest.

Sad news indeed, especially here so close to the holidays. The Marvelettes were one of those groups where you could almost remember where you were the first time you heard a particular song or saw a new album on the shelf for the first time. Wanda could make a song her own better than anyone I can think of. I think one of her best performances was the B side/album cut "The Day You Take One, You Have to Take the Other." She reeled you in with her delivery of lines like "You've got to take the bitter with the sweet." I guess that is what we have to do today........remember sweet memories as we try to absorb this bitter news.

Just found out about on Facebook the passing of Wanda Rogers of The Marvelettes. Awful News Indeed [and we were just celebrating the 60th Anniversary of their landmark hit, "Please Mr. Postman" on this site]. Rest Forever Wanda.

So very sad to have learned about her passing. She is a legendary lady and voice that we all deeply treasure and will continue to do so. Condolences to her family.

Wow. Another legend sails into the sunset. So very sad. May she Rest in Peace.

Such sad news. May her voice continue to live on. Such a sad loss for Motown and music fans.

Condolences to Wandas' family.

Oh no! I'm beyond sad. Just read that Wanda Rogers [[pictured centre) has died. The Marvelettes are my girls. RIP Wanda. X

Name:  Marvelettes.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  100.7 KB

Wanda has provided so many magical moments on record. We all have our personal favourites. Such a great legacy of music. As a Brit we were used to the black and silver Tamla Motown label but my first record on the actual Tamla label [[years after its release though) was "When You're Young and in Love". Loving, too the likes of "That's How Heartaches Are Made", "The Truth's Outside Your Door", "Now Is The Time For Love" and so many more. Would've loved to see them live, but never did [[SAW just a "fake" Marvelettes group once).

Rest In Peace Wanda LaFaye Rogers Young. Thank you for the music and the memories.

Even though her failing health was open knowledge since the 90s, I’m still stunned by this terrible news. The Marvelettes stay on rotation in my house. Rest well, Ms. Young!

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Sorry to hear of this sad news. Wanda always had that certain something that attracted me to her...you can't put your finger on it but she had it. I bet should could be great fun to be around at times. Condolences to her family.
    Darin
    DWSheffer, you have captured my exact sentiments as to how her persona was so magnetic. Vocally, I loved the way her voice, in that rich sultry way, would go slightly off pitch at the end of her phrases in such an excellent, deliberate way. A prime example is "Young and in Love." Such a beautiful lady.

I LOVED her lead on "The Stranger" from Sophisticated Soul; just one of many!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    What a f+++ed up way to have news passed along.....

?????

I understand sadness associated with her passing. I don't understand what is/was objectionable about a discussion at a board intended to celebrate and memorialize members of the Motown family. Wanda is not a well-known celebrity beyond this community, why assume a death announcement here would not be credible.

RIP, Wanda Rogers.

Somehow I can’t quite grasp it at all yet. All my friends here know she is my all-time favorite singer. I’d like to say something meaningful or insightful but I just don’t have it in me. Her voice was unmistakable, she never sounded like anyone else except possibly her group mate Gladys Horton where their voices seemed to meet “in the middle“. I’ll have more to say later after I’ve had a chance to absorb this real shock to the system.

My friend Kenny [[above) wrote and told me of the sad news about Wanda. My heart is broken. As much as I've loved all of the Motown artists since 1964, Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes have remained among my top 3 Motown groups. May Wanda RIP and reunite with Gladys among the Heavenly Motortown Review.

She was such an underrated singer and performer. My 5 favorite Wanda led songs:

I'll Keep Holding On
    Destination Anywhere
    Marionette
    Hunter
    The stranger

But so much to choose from!

Damn, i don't know what say, may her troubled soul find peace...my favorite female motown artist,the sexy sweet sound of wanda was what made the marvelettes so special for me..rest sweet wanda-r.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    She was such an underrated singer and performer. My 5 favorite Wanda led songs:

I'll Keep Holding On
    Destination Anywhere
    Marionette
    Hunter
    The stranger

But so much to choose from!
    That is actually almost 100% the same as my top five, except I would probably substitute “Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead” or “You’re My Remedy” in place of “I’ll Keep Holding On.” But all great performances by Wanda.

I’m especially glad you selected “The Stranger.” What a great song! I even posted a thread about it once.

I’ve always thought of “Holding,” “Hunter” and “The Stranger” as a kind of sexy story-in-song trilogy.
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-20-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Wanda is really one of Motown's greatest uncelebrated singers. Actually, when Berry signed the Marvelettes, I feel he unknowingly latched onto two singers who were diamonds in the rough. Gladys and Wanda were excellent natural talents who sang without artifice or affectations.

Wanda, as time went on, became an astonishing actress. I say "actress" because she could reinvent herself with every song to become what was needed for that one song.

"Don't Mess With Bill," "The Hunter," "You're The One," she was the honey-toned seductress. With those performances, she channeled Eartha Kitt, Cat Woman extraordinaire. But then, at the drop of a hat, she could belt out a song with astonishing full-throated power and urgency. "I'll Keep Holding On," "Danger," "Only Your Love Can Save Me," "The Stranger," "Too Many Tears Too Many Times," Wanda becomes a straight up Soul Sister, singing with pure lung power but never sacrificing the nuances and the flavor of the lyrics.

But Wanda's most incredible asset was her ability to also be a Jazz singer capable of expressing introspection, melancholy, longing, regret, and sometimes all within the same song. "I Can't Turn Around" [[one of her best performances ever), "Hunter" [[again), "That's How Heartaches Are Made," "Reaching For Something I Can't Have" [[her off the beat phrasing is impeccable on this one)- all these facets found in one singer.

Wanda was one of Motown's best interpreters of song and there wasn't anyone else who sounded like her. God I love that woman's voice.

I agree completely! Definitely underrated.
    RIP Wanda.

Nice tribute and analysis, @Waiting. I was “waiting and watching” for your response knowing she’s your favorite Motown artist.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Wanda is really one of Motown's greatest uncelebrated singers. Actually, when Berry signed the Marvelettes, I feel he unknowingly latched onto two singers who were diamonds in the rough. Gladys and Wanda were excellent natural talents who sang without artifice or affectations.

Wanda, as time went on, became an astonishing actress. I say "actress" because she could reinvent herself with every song to become what was needed for that one song.

"Don't Mess With Bill," "The Hunter," "You're The One," she was the honey-toned seductress. With those performances, she channeled Eartha Kitt, Cat Woman extraordinaire. But then, at the drop of a hat, she could belt out a song with astonishing full-throated power and urgency. "I'll Keep Holding On," "Danger," "Only Your Love Can Save Me," "The Stranger," "Too Many Tears Too Many Times," Wanda becomes a straight up Soul Sister, singing with pure lung power but never sacrificing the nuances and the flavor of the lyrics.

But Wanda's most incredible asset was her ability to also be a Jazz singer capable of expressing introspection, melancholy, longing, regret, and sometimes all within the same song. "I Can't Turn Around" [[one of her best performances ever), "Hunter" [[again), "That's How Heartaches Are Made," "Reaching For Something I Can't Have" [[her off the beat phrasing is impeccable on this one)- all these facets found in one singer.

Wanda was one of Motown's best interpreters of song and there wasn't anyone else who sounded like her. God I love that woman's voice.
    Well stated! Kudos.

The Free Press finally gave her passing a story.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...wn/8974050002/

Thanks for sharing that nice write-up, Woodward. I've gotta wonder, why are so.many [[including Motown fans) referring to Wanda as Wanda Young? After marrying Bobby Rogers of The Miracles, she became Wanda Rogers. Did she go back to her maiden name after Bobby died?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Nice tribute and analysis, @Waiting. I was “waiting and watching” for your response knowing she’s your favorite Motown artist.
    Thank you, Kenneth. And you really know me well, cuz Wanda definitely is my favorite at Motown rivaled only by Gladys.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Well stated! Kudos.
    Thank you. As you can tell, I've been loving this woman's recordings and style forever.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    The Free Press finally gave her passing a story.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...wn/8974050002/
    Woodward, this is really nice. The comments of Carolyn Crawford were a nice surprise. Thanks for sharing this with us.

The AP posted this piece with a bit more information than the others, including comments from Wanda's daughter and the cause of death. The NYT's story appears to be well done too.
    Darin

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wanda-you...215536267.html
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 12-25-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    The AP posted this piece with a bit more information than the others, including comments from Wanda's daughter and the cause of death. The NYT's story appears to be well done too.
    Darin

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wanda-you...215536267.html
    Thanks for this. My mother died of COPD complications as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "Recorded under another label you say????" Might that mean that there are some unreleased Wanda treasures that might surface someday?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    "Recorded under another label you say????" Might that mean that there are some unreleased Wanda treasures that might surface someday?
    "another label"= Motorcity Records I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

And so did mine. She smoked most of her life. By the time she passed away at age 65 her lungs were almost non existent.
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 12-26-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And so did mine. She smoked most of her life. By the time she passed away at age 65 her longs were almost non existent.
    Mine never smoked a day in her life, but had lifelong lung issues from other causes.

And here’s that NYT send-off:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/25/a...oung-dead.html

"What happened to those sunshine days?"

RIP Wanda

OMG! I'm just now finding out about this! I am saddened. While I'm not a big Marvelettes fan, I am very partial to Wanda. It's the years with her as primary lead that I enjoy the most of the Marvelettes' catalog. My favorite Wanda cuts are "Destination Anywhere", "That's How Heartaches Are Made", "Hunter Gets Captured By the Game", "Marionette", and "Rainy Mourning". As some have stated previously, there was just a certain something about her and her voice that was attractive. I believe if I tried to describe what that something is, I'd do Wanda a terrible injustice.

One of Motown’s most beautiful

RIP Wanda