[REMOVE ADS]

Sad news. Looks like 2021 wants to get a few more shots in before the end of the year. RIP.

Given the fact that Joe Simon had been living low key since the 80s, we never could get any updates on his health. Apparently he was 8 years older than we all thought [[that’s PR for you I guess). I’ll be spinning my copy of his Gamble and Huff LP in tribute to this remarkable man. RIP Joe and thanks for the music.

Truly sorry to hear about Joe Simon's passing. Rest In Music, Power & Peace., Joe.

Thanks for the update, Sans. Here's a link to Billboard's obit. Simon did indeed create some great lp's as well as the singles we all loved.

https://www.billboard.com/music/rb-h...ad-1235010357/

First I'd like to say, RIP, Joe Simon I certainly did enjoy and am thankful for a lot of
    the music that he created. The Choking Kind is a classic, I even like the cover by Joss Stone. That said, for all of his eagerness to get away from the popular music business
    he sure did spend a lot of his last dozen years constantly referencing it. I can understand
    much of the critiques he made about image and drugs but some things he often described as beyond control I've seen other artist manage to escape or avoid. Okay, he
    couldn't find another way for some reason. He lived a full life his way. RIP...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    First I'd like to say, RIP, Joe Simon I certainly did enjoy and am thankful for a lot of
    the music that he created. The Choking Kind is a classic, I even like the cover by Joss Stone. That said, for all of his eagerness to get away from the popular music business
    he sure did spend a lot of his last dozen years constantly referencing it. I can understand
    much of the critiques he made about image and drugs but some things he often described as beyond control I've seen other artist manage to escape or avoid. Okay, he
    couldn't find another way for some reason. He lived a full life his way. RIP...

good post. thought provoking.

Joe Simon .....really liked him. his passing brings sadness.

rest in peace

His biggest Northern Soul play.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fSfZ5Uu5GQ4

This has been on a loop in my head all day:

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thanks for the update, Sans. Here's a link to Billboard's obit. Simon did indeed create some great lp's as well as the singles we all loved.

https://www.billboard.com/music/rb-h...ad-1235010357/
    That’s the very link I provided above….

Billboard just ain't what it used to be.
    I think they are incorrect to say

During his peak hitmaking period, Simon started his own indie labels, Spring and Posse, signing funk stars such as Millie Jackson and Fatback Band.
    He was on the Spring label as an artist, but no ownership, nor of Posse. [open to correction if I have that wrong]

I wish Simon had been more popular in the clubs . It wasn't for lack of trying, a bit of Philly sleaze:

Nice arrangement by Isaac Hayes' shadow talent of the seventies, starting with SHAFT, Lester Snell:
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-17-2021 at 04:00 AM.

Another legend gone, i recently found one of joe's lp's from the eighties,saw him at the howard back in the day,one of the true soul legends-r.i.p.

Lately, it seems that every time I log into the Forum, another one of my favorite artists has passed. Really sorry to hear about Joe Simon's passing. Spring Record's Raeford Gerald produced some great Soul tracks on Joe Simon and also Millie Jackson -- many of which were downright Motown-ish and/or Dance gems.

I Need You, You Need Me
    https://youtu.be/XMCPLv9Imfo

Get Down, Get Down [[Get On The Floor)
    https://youtu.be/ElXpUQ_BHy8

[QUOTE=Boogiedown;677567]Billboard just ain't what it used to be.
    I think they are incorrect to say

He was on the Spring label as an artist, but no ownership, nor of Posse. [open to correction if I have that wrong]

Mike Chancellor in his Chancellor of Soul program on Youtube states Joe had 25% ownership pf Spring and Posse Records.

Joe in his own words claims ownership Go to 10.30....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Mike Chancellor in his Chancellor of Soul program on Youtube states Joe had 25% ownership pf Spring and Posse Records.

Joe in his own words claims ownership Go to 10.30....

thank you! happy to learn it. Good for Joe to negotiate a percentage!

I wonder how it came to be that Isaac and Millie partnered up ...but not him ??

Joe seems to really be enjoying himself on this ...right through to the very end ....

Have always wondered if that's Billy Preston on there

I had NEVER heard of Joe Simon having any ownership of Spring Records I KNOW that he never owned the master tapes of the Gamble Huff stuff he did.

We can hear in the interview Joe clearly state in his own words how he recalls history of ownership of Spring Records. Joe made many claims emphasising his status in the industry.

Prince Philip Mitchell has his own thoughts…….
    One more song that Joe Simon recorded in 1973 was a beautiful ballad named [/COLOR][I]Love Never Hurt Nobody. “Joe Simon and Roy Rifkind of Spring Records flew me to New York City to write the lyrics to a track that Joe Simon had recorded. I spent the night at Joe Simon’s apartment and stayed up the whole night writing lyrics to [I]I Need You, You Need Me, while Simon slept. The next morning when I awoke, Joe Simon was gone and so was the lyrics that I had spent the night writing. I caught a cab over to Spring Records that morning and asked Roy Rifkind where was Joe Simon and was told he had taken an early flight out to New Orleans, and I have never seen nor heard from Joe Simon since. When the record finally came out, there were several writers’ names credited but mine was not one of them. Consequently he and the Rifkinds literally stole my song.”[I] I Need You, You Need Me was released on Spring in late 1975, it hit # 5 on Billboard’s “Hot Soul Singles” charts and was credited to Joe Simon, [B]Raeford Gerald and [B]Billy Kennedy.

Courtesy and credits of Heikki’s fascinating interview with Philip Mitchell in Soul Express.

Since Joe is a current topic of discussion I thought I would bring this up in case anyone can shed any light on the subject. As mentioned on here before, I am selling CDs these days on Discogs and in fact have sold at least one or two Joe collections already.

I had one still actively listed entitled Lookin' Back [[subtitled The Best of 1966-1970) and just today I have received a notice from Discogs telling me that it is being removed from their inventory due to a "violation." The message is a "form letter" for lack of a better term and said that it might be for any one of several reasons, most appearing to be related to copyright issues.

This CD is on the Ripete label, which I had always assumed to be a legitimate label. They specialize in Beach Music and I have quite a number of releases on that label. I am not going to sweat this or question their decision and will instead just keep Joe and enjoy it myself, but does anyone have any insight as to what Discogs might have found to be objectionable about this release?

Hi David, I hope you are making good headway with your record sales.

In answer to your query, probably a copyright complaint has been made.

CDs of Looking Back were released on Ripete [[1999) and Charley [[1988) record labels. I have the Charly CD. They were I am sure legitimate releases properly licensed according to the record companies. However, both labels' versions are now embargoed from resale by Discogs.

Without knowing the terms of the licensing deal, one can only guess that those terms may have been breached by both companies. Or, more likely, maybe the licensing authorisation was at fault rather than the record companies, as both Charly and Ripete were companies of good repute and standing.

Ripete no longer has a website, and Charly has a non working holding page with no functionality. I am therefore assuming that these entities no longer have valid licensing deals, but their legitimate offerings can be easily resold on Discogs. How very odd!

Mike

Any Charly CDs I've owned sound like bootlegs. The quote below suggests why:

Charly had reissued the Chess catalogue without permission, were sued by MCA and MCA were awarded seven million dollars in damages.
    https://aroundandaroundcom.wordpress.com/immediate/

Does anyone beside me here a vocal affinity between Joe Simon [[R.I.P.) and Gregory Porter? He gets my vote to play him in the film [[should there ever be one). I will miss him; and I actually love a lot of the gospel recordings Simon put out towards the latter part of his life. I also found it odd to hear Simon say he never liked R&B music..

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksoulfire View Post
    Does anyone beside me here a vocal affinity between Joe Simon [[R.I.P.) and Gregory Porter? He gets my vote to play him in the film [[should there ever be one). I will miss him; and I actually love a lot of the gospel recordings Simon put out towards the latter part of his life. I also found it odd to hear Simon say he never liked R&B music..
    I can hear that! Now that you’ve mentioned it.
    I am not familiar with Joe's music but I intend to be sometime in the near future.

Hi smallworld. Thanks for the info and putting the facts out there. I was amazed and saddened to see the findings against Charly. They have been around for such a long time and I thought all product was properly licensed to them. Clearly not the case and they have paid a heavy price.
    Reading the trail of the myriad licensing deals of the Intermediate label, I completely lost track of who owns what, and amongst all that wheeling and dealing can see that the artists , songwriters etc clearly lost out big time. What a messy industry the record business can be.

Mike

this song has its reward, imo , after the 3:00 mark.
    That's when Norman Harris or TJ Tindall, gets more playful on the guitar and Joe Simon starts singing his own name as the Sweethearts Of Sigma join in and start wailing Joe Simon behind him of all things [who does that lol!]
    its a taste of Philly at its finest:

oh and those Don Reynaldo strings working overtime.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-29-2021 at 03:36 PM.