[REMOVE ADS]

New Appreciation for the 70's Anthology

I hadn't listened to this one for a while. Now I consider it the best collection of recordings by the 70's Supremes by far. The selections are all good and sequenced perfectly. After a couple of listens, I wondered why certain great songs were never chosen as singles, i.e. The Loving Country, Life Beats, Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music, It's All Been Said Before and Life Beats.

Overall, if I were to suggest an introduction to the 70's Supremes this would be the collection.

the 2 cd set was truly excellent. I was especially thrilled with it as it was the first OFFICIAL cd release with Let Yourself Go. that is one of my all-time fav songs by the group so loved having a perfect version of it

the anthology set was perfectly set up. a wonderful mix of released tunes, alt versions, canned tracks. the only thing to make it just a little bit more perfect would have been some live tracks. i remember andy and team saying either on here or FB that for the Let Yourself Go/Scherrie years they wanted to include some or all of the London farewell but i think he said they couldn't get the rights or permissions.

throughout the supremes history, there are a lot of really excellent tunes that could have been singles.

You Bring Back memories - certainly superior to My Heart Can't Take It No more

Going down 3rd time - i think this is an excellent song that would have def been a single had there just not been a flood of songs just a little bit more excellent. YCHL, YKMHO, LIHANYG. even the novelty of The Happening just edged out 3rd Time. and by mid 67 it just wasn't an innovative or cutting edge as Reflections. it's time had come and gone unfortunately

with the 70s groups:

Loving Country should have been released instead of everybody

Together we can make - should have followed up Loving Country. and also skip River Deep and the duets

then Stone Love would be released

It's all been said should have rush released in 74. then in early 75 an album with it and the Ivey Woodford tunes. a perfect pop album.

LYG should have been lead single from MS&S. it's a perfect f/u to Walking.

I remember when this was first released. I went into Virgin Records in Times Square when I heard about it being released. I didn't see it, and asked if they had it. The clerk said, "I just put some out!", went over and saw they were gone. He opened the cabinet under the rack and pulled out a coupe more. After handing me one, he said, "We need to get more, these are the last we have. Never thought this would sell."

My first introduction to the 70's Supremes was the GREATEST HITS AND RARE CLASSICS set. I wore that CD out I had to buy a second! Thete's a great thread here in the archives by Mr. George talking about the release; why certain songs were left off, why certain songs were included, why there's differences between the cassette version and the CD version, and why this went from a double set to a single disc.

That said, I LOVE this set. It was the first set that really encompassed the entire 70's Supremes. From the fantastic booklet, to the amazing song selection, it really showed some love to the lineups after Diana left. I dare say it begs to ask, Diana who?

This was where I fell in love with "It's All Been Said Before" and other gems like "Life Beats" and "Love Train".