[REMOVE ADS]

‘Summer of Soul’ Film of 1969 Music Festival Gets Soundtrack [Sony Legacy 1/28/2022]

From bestclassicsbands.com-
    Over the course of six weekends in the summer of 1969, just one hundred miles south of the site of the Woodstock Festival, the Harlem Cultural Festival, with such stars as Stevie Wonder, Sly & the Family Stone, B.B. King, and Gladys Knight & the Pips, was filmed in Mount Morris Park [now Marcus Garvey Park]. The footage was never seen and largely forgotten. A new feature-length documentary about the concerts,
    Summer of Soul […Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised], was released on July 2, 2021, in theaters and Hulu, from first-time director, Ahmir Thompson, better known as “Questlove.”

The film’s official soundtrack is finally being released by Sony Legacy on CD on Jan. 28, 2022, with 17 live renditions curated by Questlove of jazz, blues, R&B, Latin, and soul classics performed over the course of the festival as chronicled by the film. Sly & the Family Stone’s performance of “Sing A Simple Song” was released on Dec. 9, the day of the album’s announcement. [A vinyl version will be available later in the year.]

The film weaves many outstanding music performances, with contemporary interviews from many of the participants, attendees, and observers, all of whom are seeing the “lost” footage for the first time. It also incorporates historical clips of what was occurring in New York [and America] during that pivotal year.
    The festival was organized by promoter and singer Tony Lawrence, who is shown to be a natural host for the weekly concerts, with an ease and flair that engaged the audience. At one point, he introduces then-New York City Mayor John V. Lindsay with humor and respect, as Hizzoner is embraced by the crowd.
    Wonder was just 19 that summer but had been shaping music for years. Sly and the Family Stone had two big hits under their belt and the film includes three of their performances including a show-stopping “Higher.” Gladys Knight & the Pips were in the midst of their phenomenal chart run.
    Besides those top-billed stars, the feature also includes never-before-seen concert performances by the 5th Dimension, Nina Simone [an exceptional “To Be Young, Gifted and Black”], Hugh Masekela, Ray Baretto, and more.
    Witnessing Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. watching themselves perform 1969’s biggest single, “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In,” and sharing the story about they came to record it, is a highlight.
    The audience shots are part of what makes Summer of Soul such a joy to watch. Their reactions to both the performances and to many of the moving speeches given by musicians and dignitaries like the commanding 27-year-old Jesse Jackson are revelatory.

Summer of Soul […Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised] Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Tracklisting
    The Chambers Brothers – “Uptown”
    B.B. King – “Why I Sing The Blues”
    The 5th Dimension – “Don’t Cha Hear Me Callin’ To Ya”
    The 5th Dimension – “Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In [The Flesh Failures]”
    David Ruffin – “My Girl”
    The Edwin Hawkins Singers – “Oh Happy Day”
    The Staple Singers – “It’s Been A Change”
    The Operation Breadbasket Orchestra & Choir Featuring Mahalia Jackson and Mavis Staples – “Precious Lord Take My Hand”
    Gladys Knight & The Pips – “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”
    Mongo Santamaria – “Watermelon Man”
    Ray Barretto – “Together”
    Herbie Mann- “Hold On, I’m Comin’”
    Sly & The Family Stone – “Sing A Simple Song”
    Sly & The Family Stone – “Everyday People”
    Nina Simone – “Backlash Blues”
    Nina Simone – “Are You Ready”

Yes, please!!!

Thanks, I want the film also. Any word on it being released on BD or streaming in the states? I read that Canada and a few more countries are streaming it. I saw it at a theater with a dull and dark presentation with lack luster sound. I hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Thanks, I want the film also. Any word on it being released on BD or streaming in the states? I read that Canada and a few more countries are streaming it. I saw it at a theater with a dull and dark presentation with lack luster sound. I hate that.
    It should still be available on Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It should still be available on Hulu.
    Don't have Hulu, so I'll wait it out.