[REMOVE ADS]

A Diana Ross Christmas

Over the years Diana Ross has recorded some wonderful Christmas songs, which ones are your favourites, I love Christmas in Vienna also 14 songs for Christmas beautiful beautiful beautiful as only Diana Ross can sing

Hmmm ... I tend to like Diana's solo Christmas recordings of the more reverential material, such as the Vienna program.

The stand out on Vienna is Diana singing Amazing Grace.

I wish they would have taken a chance on this as a single in the UK at Christmas - it could have been a stone-cold flop or gone absolutely massive.

It would probably have to have been 1994 as Your Love from the One Woman album was always intended for the Christmas single.

A lot of Diana's Christmas songs sound too karaoke, like much of the FLOs work in the 80's. Diana's BEST Christmas number is "The Little Drummer Boy" from the MERRY CHRISTMAS album.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    A lot of Diana's Christmas songs sound too karaoke, like much of the FLOs work in the 80's. Diana's BEST Christmas number is "The Little Drummer Boy" from the MERRY CHRISTMAS album.
    The difference being that Diana has the London Symphony Orchestra on her
    'karaoke' Christmas songs and the FLOS used a programmed synth. Maybe she should have considered using the Andantes again, in order to have developed less of a karaoke sound. Or better yet...she could have used Jean, Lynda and Scherrie. Then again, Jean doesn't celebrate Christmas, so she could have used Sundray Tucker in her place lol.

I love all of her Christmas songs! So lush. lol.
    Last edited by carlo; 12-07-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    'karaoke' Christmas songs and the FLOS used a programmed synth. Maybe she should have considered using the Andantes again, in order to have developed less of a karaoke sound. Or better yet...she could have used Jean, Lynda and Scherrie. Then again, Jean doesn't celebrate Christmas, so she could have used Sundray Tucker in her place lol.

Is there a 'rim-shot' emoji?

I clearly wasn't speaking of the set with the London Symphony Orchestra; I thought you were a brighter bulb in the tree!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Diana Ross’s Christmas songs they are absolutely incredible beautiful unbelievable no karaoke and you were at all , the only scareyokke ob here is the poster on here with the big [[) ---- spewiing out of her [[ ) happy holidays read between the lines you sexy beast

Lynda doesn't celebrate it either! So they could have brought in Marlene to fill her spot, they both have a similar sound anyway. Only us die hard fans would tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Lynda doesn't celebrate it either! So they could have brought in Marlene to fill her spot, they both have a similar sound anyway. Only us die hard fans would tell the difference.
    I thought that Wonderful Christmas Time and A Very Special Season were both good cds but I'll have to listen again to spot and "karaokishness"

To be honest, there are two Sirius Christmas channels side by side that provide constant Christmas music so that's what I've been using.

I notice the only Motown Album that has returned to the Billboard Top 200 [[which has dozens of Christmas albums listed) is the Jackson 5 Christmas Album and as I recall, it didn't make the Top 100 even. No other Motown act at all.

My favorite Diana Ross Christmas song is "This Christmas", which came to me as a complete surprise in 1993, when the Motown compilation Christmas in the City was released. I didn't know Ross had recorded a Christmas song after the Supremes Christmas album. While nothing can beat Donny Hathaway's original version, I love the intimacy of the Ross one. She really makes the song her own, giving that unique Ross spin to it.

My favourite Ross Christmas plus Christmas in Vienna
    No. Title Writer[[s) Length
    1. "Wonderful Christmastime" McCartney 3:09
    2. "Sleigh Ride"/"Jingle Bells"

3:40
    3. "Winter Wonderland"
    • Bernard
    • Smith

3:22
    4. "It's Christmas Time" Traditional 3:18
    5. "White Christmas" Berlin 3:20
    6. "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"
    • Cahn
    • Styne

2:14
    7. "The Christmas Song"
    • Tormé
    • Wells

3:13
    8. "Overjoyed" Wonder 4:05
    9. "Someday at Christmas"
    • Miller
    • Wells

4:09
    10. "What the World Needs Now"
    • Bacharach
    • David

4:20
    11. "Amazing Grace" Newton 5:21
    12. "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" Martin 5:21
    13. "Silent Night"
    • Gruber
    • Mohr

5:01
    14. "O Holy Night"
    • Adam
    • Dwight

4:44
    15. "O Little Town of Bethlehem" Phillips Brooks 4:25
    16. "Ave Maria" Schubert 5:52
    17. "Go Tell It on the Mountain" John Wesley Work Jr. 5:08
    18. "The First Noël" Traditional 3:30
    19. "I Heard the Bells" Traditional 2:53
    20. "Happy Xmas [[War Is Over)"
    • Lennon
    • Ono

3:15

Is anyone familiar with the alternate version of Diana's "This Christmas", which I think is better than the previously released one!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the alternate version of Diana's "This Christmas", which I think is better than the previously released one!!

A slightly simpler version which i also prefer Tom. Her voice sounds so WONDERFULLY creamy on this one.
    Christmas 74 would have been the perfect year for Motown to have released a solo Christmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    A slightly simpler version which i also prefer Tom. Her voice sounds so WONDERFULLY creamy on this one.
    Christmas 74 would have been the perfect year for Motown to have released a solo Christmas album.
    I agree on all counts Ollie! And especially because this version has a horn section, which any self-respecting version of "This Christmas" should rightly have.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 12-15-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Now that’s wonderful thanks for posting this version

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Now that’s wonderful thanks for posting this version
    No worries after you!

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Diana Ross’s Christmas songs they are absolutely incredible beautiful unbelievable no karaoke and you were at all , the only scareyokke ob here is the poster on here with the big [[) ---- spewiing out of her [[ ) happy holidays read between the lines you sexy beast
    I totally agree. All of her Christmas songs are top notch. I love her Christmas albums. So beautiful.

“Ave Maria” is unfortunately rather dire and should never have been included. It spoils what is otherwise a delightful seasonal album.

I like Diana Ross' Christmas Segment of Songs
    at the Christmas Concert for President Obama and his family and the country, presented in Washington D.C.

Diana Ross' voice is angelic and heavenly for Christmas! She needs to do a Christmas Special with Mariah Carey. Diana Ross to play a formal Department Store Display Manager. Mareh Carey to play the over the top display Queen. Casting royalties indeed!

I am dating myself.
    I think the new job title term is a Department Store Retail Curator.