[REMOVE ADS]

Newark, NJ to Name Street after Linda Jones

thats was so sad when she passed away in 1972. She was only 27, diabetes was alot harder to treat back then.

Whoa, what a well-deserved honor! Thanks for sharing, reese!

What a nice surprise; I'll take a drive this week and get some pictures.

So very well deserved indeed. She became a legend in short period of time, every where
    I went people talked about her and then she was gone. I never got a chance to see her....

Wonderful news about the late Linda Jones. It's truly a well deserved honor. Thanks for sharing Resse.

What a great long lasting tribute that will be! And to make a bad pun, think about the mileage [[ouch!) the Linda Jones catalog will get from people who discover her simply by wondering who she is after seeing the street name.
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-07-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  21.1 KB
    Amazing that a non-Superstar, whose name isn't well-known to every American, Like Aretha Franklin or Stevie Wonder, albeit great Soul singer, gets a big city street named after her. A well-deserved tribute. Was she originally from Newark?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  21.1 KB
    Amazing that a non-Superstar, whose name isn't well-known to every American, Like Aretha Franklin or Stevie Wonder, albeit great Soul singer, gets a big city street named after her. A well-deserved tribute. Was she originally from Newark?
    Yes, she was, robb, born and raised. And where she became first known. Even to the
    big names. When they talked about this little girl they got outta New Jersey, Aretha
    and Gladys were talking about Linda Jones...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Yes, she was, robb, born and raised. And where she became first known. Even to the
    big names. When they talked about this little girl they got outta New Jersey, Aretha
    and Gladys were talking about Linda Jones...

My local soul station used to devote an hour or two to an artist's career. Whenever they did Linda, they would always mention that Gladys named her as one of her favorite singers.

Love Linda Jones and her 'round da way" soul. In some ways Mary J. and Teena Marie seem like musical descendants of her particular style of singing. Been listening to her "Let It Be Me" album on Slyvia Robinson's Turbo label - soul music does not get deeper. I wish we could get properly remastered vinyls of her work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufemL7iZ4sg
    Last edited by Blaksoulfire; 12-14-2021 at 12:16 PM.

As much as I love Linda I'm not crazy about her cover of I Do. The Moments own that
    song. I think Linda was recorded in too much pain and duress to properly deliver it...

the very sad thing about Linda Jones career is alot of people, including other entertainers thought she was a junkie" cause they would see her shooting up backstage at those theaters. She was injecting insulin at a time when most people esp. younger people had no idea what diabetes was.