[REMOVE ADS]

The Isley Brothers, "In the Beginning" [Streaming/Download] [T-Neck/Sony]

From SecondDisc.com:
    Amidst The Isley Brothers' first brushes with success - 1959's rock/soul/gospel rave-up "Shout" on RCA Records, 1962's "Twist and Shout" and a 1966 Top 40 for Motown, "This Old Heart of Mine [Is Weak for You]" - O'Kelly, Rudolph and Ronnie Isley took the unusual step of putting their record business matters into their own hands with a self-started label, T-Neck Records. Signing distribution deals with the likes of Buddah and CBS in the late '60s and early '70s, they'd finally get their due as recording artists - but early T-Neck singles like "Testify" and "Move Over and Let Me Dance," initially distributed by Atlantic, never found a home on the charts. Soon after, the guitarist on several of these singles, then known as Jimmy James, departed the Isleys' employ to keep striking out on his own. By 1967, Jimi Hendrix would of course be a household name - and after his death in 1970, all the Atlantic-distributed singles were collected onto a Buddah-distributed album that's slid in and out of print over time [most recently included in a career-spanning box from Legacy Recordings, who'd by then also assumed distribution of Hendrix's catalogue]. It's now got a permanent home on digital channels, and even with its original cover art.

Tracklist-
    1. "Move Over And Let Me Dance" [Part 1]
    2. "Have You Ever Been Disappointed" [Parts 1 & 2]
    3. "Testify" [Parts 1 & 2]
    4. "Move Over And Let Me Dance" [Part 2]
    5. "Wild Little Tiger"
    6. "The Last Girl"
    7. "Simon Says"
    8. "Looking For A Love"

The Isley Brothers, In the Beginning [T-Neck] [iTunes / Amazon / Spotify
    ]

Thanks, MEd! I'm always up for news & talk about the Isleys. Coincidentally, last weekend and during the week I streamed the 70's lps during gym time, thought about starting a thread, but decided it would not be much responded to. This will be interesting material to hear!

This was already part of the 2015 release:
    The Complete RCA Victor and T-Neck Album Masters

Box Set

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    This was already part of the 2015 release:
    The Complete RCA Victor and T-Neck Album Masters

Box Set
    I know; in fact the article from Second Disc mentions The Complete RCA Victor and T-Neck Album Masters [that In The Beginning was part of]. However, the new digital release of In The Beginning is another option for those who want those mid '60s Isley Bros. recordings but didn't buy [or want] the career spanning 2015 box set.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 12-05-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thanks, MEd! I'm always up for news & talk about the Isleys. Coincidentally, last weekend and during the week I streamed the 70's lps during gym time, thought about starting a thread, but decided it would not be much responded to. This will be interesting material to hear!
    I know what you mean PNH! Those mid '70s LPs by The Isley's are big favorites of mine [and songs like "That Lady" & "Fight The Power" make good 'workout' songs when I'm at the gym].

Wow. Can I go slightly off topic and tell you guys how SHOUT by the Isley Brothers changed my life? In 1958, I was a quiet high school kid who bought records in a local Record Shop every Friday. The lady owner was continuously playing SHOUT on the speaker outside, and I hated the record. One day, I bought the record, she put it in a bag, I opened the bag, broke the record and handed it back to her and said, “I wish you would do that to the record playing outside”. She then realized that I was not that quiet little kid, but was perhaps a little off center. [[that is what you have to be if you are in the record business) So she offered me a job when I got out of high school and I later used that store as a foundation to start my own businesses in the record industry. So I owe my career to SHOUT.

And in later years, I appreciated many of the releases of the Isleys and Isley-Jasper-Isely. It took a little time, but now I even like SHOUT and can not figure out what I did not like about it at the time. I guess my tastes changed. [obviously. After all, I was buying Pat Boone records back then ]

So thank you Isleys and congrats on a career that spans eight decades

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Wow. Can I go slightly off topic and tell you guys how SHOUT by the Isley Brothers changed my life? In 1958, I was a quiet high school kid who bought records in a local Record Shop every Friday. The lady owner was continuously playing SHOUT on the speaker outside, and I hated the record. One day, I bought the record, she put it in a bag, I opened the bag, broke the record and handed it back to her and said, “I wish you would do that to the record playing outside”. She then realized that I was not that quiet little kid, but was perhaps a little off center. [[that is what you have to be if you are in the record business) So she offered me a job when I got out of high school and I later used that store as a foundation to start my own businesses in the record industry. So I owe my career to SHOUT.

And in later years, I appreciated many of the releases of the Isleys and Isley-Jasper-Isely. It took a little time, but now I even like SHOUT and can not figure out what I did not like about it at the time. I guess my tastes changed. [obviously. After all, I was buying Pat Boone records back then ]

So thank you Isleys and congrats on a career that spans eight decades
    Great story, milven...Ain't nothing wrong with having or recognising one's change in taste. Or even not.... I find myself sometimes listening to entire genres of music I've
    purposely avoided for over 30 years...

A high resolution version of the album is available on HD Tracks.