[REMOVE ADS]

The Jackson 5 - Boogie [1979] Reissue CD

I remember this album being, erm, somewhat inconsistent , but I do love "Oh I've Been Blessed"!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I remember this album being, erm, somewhat inconsistent , but I do love "Oh I've Been Blessed"!

Well, keep in mind that this isn't a studio album proper, but a cash-in compilation of unreleased material that Motown released years after they [minus Jermaine] had absconded for CBS. I'm happy to see it be re-released.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Well, keep in mind that this isn't a studio album proper, but a cash-in compilation of unreleased material that Motown released years after they [minus Jermaine] had absconded for CBS. I'm happy to see it be re-released.
    Yes you’re quite right sans

I believe I have it on a Japanese 2-fer with “Joyful Jukebox Music” though I don’t recall ever playing it. Wasn’t “Jukebox” also an odds-and-ends Motown release following their signing to Epic?

Another Music On CD release and at least ir's not an obvious album that's seen numerous releases before. Follows on from Marvin Gaye's "Stubborn Kind of Fellow", Rare Earth's "Get Ready" and Michael Jackson's "Farewell My Summer Love". Yes I have it on the Japanese mini LP 2fer [[UICY94297) but I think these releases are worthy of support. Bring 'em on.

So, the CD having arrived today I rushed to open it so I could look at the notes in the CD insert but there aren't any. Just the representations of the front and back LP cover on one sheet. Needn't have rushed especially since it came with a free rip download version from Amazon lol. Just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    So, the CD having arrived today I rushed to open it so I could look at the notes in the CD insert but there aren't any. Just the representations of the front and back LP cover on one sheet. Needn't have rushed especially since it came with a free rip download version from Amazon lol. Just so you know.
    My copy has been here some time - as far as I know this is the first time it has been released ina jewel case [[not sure what Japan did) but I believe if I remember rightly the Hip-O version was in a mini LP digi pak format. I've also just receieved the J5 Skywriter LP which also has no notes whilst the Commodres two disc set Anthology has its original booklet. These are quite strange releases - not just beacuse of what they have chosen to re-release but how they are done. Skywriter for instance utilises the original pink CD and large blue M of the original disc and carries all the original trademarks of Universal. The Commodores booklet is a straight reprint of the Motown issue and again re-uses all the original artwork and notes down to all the thanks and credits etc. It's almost like they got the originals and just slapped MusicOnCd on them. At one point I wondered if they were part of the great Universal family but they tell me they are a totaslly independent label with no connections at all - I wonder who decides what they will re-issue and what they don't.

Yes this is my third copy of "Boogie", having the Hip-O one in the digi pak and the Japanese one which is in proper mini LP format - both accompanied by "Joyful Jukbox Music" - and in reality probably the same release. So the Music On CD version is the first one with a solo disc release and as you say first in a jewel case.

The MOCD releases are fascinating to say the least as they look like official Universal releases, having Music On CD, Universal and Motown logos. On their CDs they state "manufactured and distributed by Music on CD for Universal Music a division of Universal International Music B.V."

Very strange that "Skywriter" has the Polygram pink label CD - must get a copy. Currently they are quite Jackson heavy with "Farewell My Summer Love", "Skywriter", "Boogie" and the next one Jermaine's "Come Into My Life". They've also done Marvin's "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow" and Rare Earth's "Get Ready" albums. They also ask what folks would like to see released - on that theme maybe the Jackie Jackson LP lol. I shall be watching their releases with interest.

Farewell My Summer Love

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57691064210413

Boogie

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...-dXPFYw-8LVkGz
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-22-2022 at 02:26 PM.

It is now being released on vinyl although it was rare in this format. A very good idea for vinyl enthusiasts and collectors given that it had never been reissued in this format since its release in 1979.

https://www.musiconvinyl.com/products/boogie

Nice shout out for the vinyl album there - mind you £23.00 - I used to think 30 bob was dear for an LP [[£1.50) - come to think of it it was probably 29s 11d.