[REMOVE ADS]

"Boy From Crosstown" Angels Song

I am aware that we have some huge fans on here of the Marvelettes' cult favorite The Boy From Crosstown. But today as I was making my rounds [[at an appropriate volume of course!) I played my Best of the Angels CD and was surprised to discover that they had their own Boy From Crosstown.

Now it is a different song altogether and their title, just as I typed it, begins with Boy instead of The, but I still found it an interesting coincidence. Maybe one of you more talented types can provide a link for listeners to hear their song and compare the two.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  21.1 KB
    Here's The Jobete Motown song sung by a non-Motown artist:

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 457
    Here's The Jobete Motown song sung by a non-Motown artist:
    At first I wondered how did they know about an unreleased Motown / Marvelettes song but now I can hear this was, I'm assuming, based on the Gladys Knight & The Pips version. Norman REALLY believed in this song's value and it seems he wasn't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    At first I wondered how did they know about an unreleased Motown / Marvelettes song but now I can hear this was, I'm assuming, based on the Gladys Knight & The Pips version. Norman REALLY believed in this song's value and it seems he wasn't wrong.
    Definitely based on the Pips' version.

The Marvelettes lead by Gladys Horton IS the definitive version of the Motown song.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    The Marvelettes lead by Gladys Horton IS the definitive version of the Motown song.
Views: 395
    That's because they originally planned to release their version as a 45 single, and The Gladys Knight version was only slated as an LP cut. I'm not sure what they had planned for The Velvelettes' version, [[perhaps an LP cut). The Velvelettes' background instrumentals are good, but not as "catchy" as those for The Marvelettes. the Marvelettes' cut clearly got the "hit single treatment". Too bad it didn't get the 45 released. It would have been a smash hit.

Gotta give Gladys & The Pips' version the nod for my favorite version.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Just listened to The Angels' "Boy From Crosstown" for the first time. Not a bad song but [IMHO] it's no match for The Marvelettes' recording with the similar name. One thing I did note was the guitar playing something that sounded similar to the theme from the Peter Gunn TV series. Thanks Lockhart for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 395
    That's because they originally planned to release their version as a 45 single, and The Gladys Knight version was only slated as an LP cut. I'm not sure what they had planned for The Velvelettes' version, [[perhaps an LP cut). The Velvelettes' background instrumentals are good, but not as "catchy" as those for The Marvelettes. the Marvelettes' cut clearly got the "hit single treatment". Too bad it didn't get the 45 released. It would have been a smash hit.
    I agree; The Marvelette's "The Boy From Crosstown" did have 'hit single potential' and I think it might've been a hit for the group [or at least it should've appeared on their self-titled LP from 1967].