[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    It appears I was typing while blackguy69 was sending. Sorry about the repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Recieved my email too, yay, although I had to look in my spam folder.

I am SO GLAD I purchased from Real Gone, supporting the release direct from the source has great benefits. And those of you that did as well will be glad too. *wink*
    *wink*

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    Where on Facebook ?
    Why do you care? Why are you asking? You made it very plain you no longer have any interest in buying the product so why do you want to look at the booklet? If you're going to take a stand and not support the product then show some integrity and avoid checking it out anywhere. I see you're participating in the spoiler thread and being your miserable self over there so obviously deep down you have curiosity about what's on the Anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Why do you care? Why are you asking? You made it very plain you no longer have any interest in buying the product so why do you want to look at the booklet? If you're going to take a stand and not support the product then show some integrity and avoid checking it out anywhere. I see you're participating in the spoiler thread and being your miserable self over there so obviously deep down you have curiosity about what's on the Anthology.
    Oohhh stalker alert from spreadinglove

I NEVER said I didn’t have an interest , what I said was that I would no longer buy it following the delays

please don’t question my integrity, thankfully you know zero about me and don’t figure in my orbit. Because I was angry and not prepared to purchase it does not make me miserable I’m far from it..

what do I care ? Having been a fan of Mary’s for years [[even accompanied her on 2 of her uk tours as a roadie many years ago ) I still wanted to read the booklet .

it seems some of my comments were vindicated as something clearly is going on between real gone /universal according to other posts.

re your comment on me posting on the spoiler thread .. I didn’t post anything miserable just a jestful comment to another poster not to irk the haters.

finally, my dear , in closing instead of making baseless, factually inaccurate assumptions about someone you’ve never met why don’t you try allowing others the courtesy of having an opinion even if you disagree with it ? Why don’t you try & do what your username suggest and start spreading love ?

God bless you

My copies shipped from Real Gone two weeks ago tomorrow. Hopefully they will show up soon. It seems like there's been a backlog of international mail sitting at LAX airport. My package says it's finally en route to Canada. Y'all US fans are spoiled, I tell ya! You always manage to get the new releases ahead of the rest of the world, so don't take that for granted.

I have been successfully avoiding all of the spoilers here and on social media, but it sounds like everyone who has their copies thus far are loving this set! Glad to hear.

Hey Carlo, I feel you! Still waiting for my copy to arrive here in Holland. Will prob be laying in some customs office for weeks.....

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Hey Carlo, I feel you! Still waiting for my copy to arrive here in Holland. Will prob be laying in some customs office for weeks.....
    Jack, hope you get it soon too!

I like your level-headedness mwmr!

so:
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post

what do I care ? Having been a fan of Mary’s for years [[even accompanied her on 2 of her uk tours as a roadie many years ago ) I still wanted to read the booklet .
    cool! any stories to tell from your roadie experiences?? Any inside stuff ??

and speaking of usernames ,
    'mwmr' .....wondering if the mw part of yours is for mary wilson ? or just a coincidence...

cheers!

Don't look now, but the download is available for pre-order on U.S. Apple Music now. "Son of a Preacher Man" and "Falling in Love with Love [alternate vocal]" are available for immediate download/purchase.

Son Of A Preacher Man

One might ask the same of you: why do you care? Why do you care why he cares? Why do you care what he says he cares about? How is this a litmus test to his or anyone’s integrity? Personally, I don’t quite understand not buying the anthology but I don’t need to. I can accept the fact that this person knows how this person feels as they are probably an expert at it. It’s interesting, and I think that possibly down the road there might be a change of mind after some of the information or some of the better tracks get discovered. I’m finding the anthology a treasure trove of unexpected riches. I bought it to be supportive more than anything else. I now understand why Mary was so proud to have this released because it shows off her talent in a manner that had not been done before in my opinion.

we are here to celebrate the wonderful legacy that Mary left with this anthology and with the anniversary of her passing nigh, I am mindful of what I know Mary would want this conversation to be about. And the tone of the conversation that would please her. Many or most of us here had some sort of a personal relationship with Mary and I’m sure would agree that the tenor of this thread is contrary to Mary’s joie de vivre.

Well put! Very well put!

Found it in my mailbox just a sec ago and no import taxes

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Found it in my mailbox just a sec ago and no import taxes
    Wow! Amazing Enjoy, Jack! It's also amazing to me that you received your package in Holland before I got mine in Canada! Lucky guy

I just received notice from Amazon.ca that my order was cancelled. It looks like they can't get the product. Who did you order from Carlo? I can order from Amazon.com and pay 19 US and then another 10 US to ship to Canada. I live 35 miles from the US border, I used to order Amazon.com and drive down and get it....Covid has stopped that.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I just received notice from Amazon.ca that my order was cancelled. It looks like they can't get the product. Who did you order from Carlo? I can order from Amazon.com and pay 19 US and then another 10 US to ship to Canada. I live 35 miles from the US border, I used to order Amazon.com and drive down and get it....Covid has stopped that.
    Hi drlorne,
    I ordered directly from Real Gone Music, but I believe they are currently sold out. My fellow Canadian fan/friend also ordered from Amazon Canada, like you did, and his pre-order was also cancelled last night. He was confused and understandably not happy about it. I explained to him that it seems that during the last couple of weeks, Amazon added a second new product listing for the CD to all of the Amazon sites, and the original first listing was only de-activated yesterday, resulting in unexplained order cancellations and confusion. The good news is that you can re-order using the new product listing from Amazon Canada...

https://www.amazon.ca/Motown-Antholo...s%2C111&sr=8-2

It seems this may have happened due to either a change in product SKU or due to the change in the retail release date. Either way, it's too bad because I feel that a bunch of fans may be confused over their order cancellation and will not necessarily know that they can just re-order it right away from the new listing. Hopefully everyone can spread the word.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-06-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks for informing Mary's fans of this confusing situation. We have two listings for it on Amazon here in the states. The Feb release is unavailable and the new March 4th release is available at a discount below list price[$18.59]. This may be the most confusing release date of a CD in history figuratively, if not literally.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mary+wils..._ts-doa-p_1_11

What a fiasco...how could this happen?

It’s a wonderful opportunity for people to get this at a reduced price, I wish I had gotten it at this price but, I’m happy to pay what I did because if we are gone ahead and sold out at the price they needed to make money on the deal, it might’ve not been available other places or sold as many copies. I’m glad that it’s out there and then I’m enjoying it!

My copies are here at last! I already got teary eyed, after doing an initial scan through the package and booklet...so many beautiful photos and tributes.

Looking forward to checking out the 'spoilers' discussion, once I finish listening to both discs this afternoon
    Last edited by carlo; 02-07-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Thank you Carlo, I very much appreciate your help. I've just re-ordered it. ps We met at the last Diana Ross concert that she played in Toronto at the O'Keefe Centre [[ Hummingbird , or whatever it is called now).
    Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Thank you Carlo, I very much appreciate your help. I've just re-ordered it. ps We met at the last Diana Ross concert that she played in Toronto at the O'Keefe Centre [[ Hummingbird , or whatever it is called now).
    Thanks again for your help.
    You're welcome, drlorne. Glad you were able to re-order it. Of course I remember you! I haven't forgotten It was such a nice surprise to meet a fellow Soulful Detroit member. That particular show is also such a nice memory in time, considering it was only several months before all of the lockdowns.

It was also called the Sony Centre. The latest name is now Meridian Hall. lol

I had an e-mail update from Juno records today on their upcoming releases. 14.99 pounds plus postage. Obviously I'm not on all UK mailing lists but this is the first proper record shop I've seen over here declaring an intent to stock.

Hopefully the UK fans will finally get the chance to finally get their hands on this for the weekend !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Hopefully the UK fans will finally get the chance to finally get their hands on this for the weekend !!!
    The anticipation is building dickie. It was good to read all the positive reviews here on SD. I wonder how well it’s selling?.

Ollie. Unfortunately it will only be a niche customer base, if Mary was still around she would be over here touring and promoting the hell out of this CD
    She is getting her dues a little too late

I ordered this collection over two months ago and I never heard a peep from them , It’s one of the worst communication efforts for releasing music ever

Mine has been despatched in the UK. Arriving Saturday! Can't wait.

Uncut Magazine review:

The writing was on the wall for Mary Wilson long before “Reflections”, The Supremes’ 1967 hit, and 13th consecutive million-seller. It may have been the first single where the name of the group on the label was prefaced by the words “Diana Ross and…”, but lead vocal opportunities were already scarce – Wilson was afforded the middle-mic spotlight on just three tracks from the trio’s previous half-dozen albums.
    Yet, even when Motown founder Berry Gordy stepped back from overseeing the trio three years later to focus on the departing Ross’ solo career, Wilson continued, to a degree, playing second fiddle to Ross’ replacement, Jean Terrell. She’s front and centre for two big-hitters from the post-Diana era, trading verses with Terrell on……1971’s “Floy Joy” and whisperingly seductive on the following year’s “Automatically Sunshine”, and this two-disc compilation sets out to retrieve less lauded performances that fell between the cracks. The division of labour to come is absent on 1960’s soaring, Spector-like Motown prequel “Pretty Baby” when the group were still trading as The Primettes [[a female counterpoint to the all-male Primes before they evolved into The Temptations). Not long after those teen beginnings, “Our Day Will Come” reveals Wilson to be developing the chops of a nuanced jazz balladeer in the mould of Nancy Wilson or Dinah Washington.
    In some ways, however, her versatility had a tendency to backfire; “Son Of A Preacher Man” is a frustratingly rigid carbon copy of the vocal phrasing employed by Dusty Springfield on the hit version released just a few months earlier, and there’s similarly uninspired mimicry when Wilson’s solo cut of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Green River” adheres far too close to the Tina Turner playbook.
    But on the occasions where Wilson’s own personality is given space to breathe the results can be powerfully affecting, dominant on the soulful grandeur of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil’s “You Turn Me Around” or the Philly-soaked splendour of Brian and Eddie Holland’s “Early Morning Love”, both from 1975. It’s arguably the triumph of these tracks in particular that prompted her to take full solo flight two years later, after a spell touring as a Supremes nostalgia act following the group’s dissolution.
    Motown kept her on the books for an eponymous long-playing solo debut [[all seven tracks from which are included here), yet in its determination to ride the ubiquitous 1979 disco wave, its contents suffer from a disconcerting lack of light and shade. Producer Hal Davis [[an 11th-hour replacement for Marvin Gaye who bowed out to focus on messy divorce proceedings) had played a significant role in the Jackson Five’s later releases for the label, but while he conjures a crisp sound delivered by top-drawer sessioneers, the songs of Frank Busey and John Duarte make little impression.
    Only “You Make Me Feel So Good”, with its lush string arrangement and punchy horns, comes close to recapturing the spirited joyousness of Wilson’s best Supremes outings, and the overall weaknesses of the album may have hastened the label’s decision to promote it by booking the singer onto the off-the-beaten-track cabaret circuit where she was obliged to revisit yesteryear hits more commonly associated with Ross’ voice.
    It was on one such jaunt in the UK that she met Elton John’s producer of choice Gus Dudgeon, and while Motown green-lit the hiring of the Englishman to return Wilson to winning ways, they pulled the plug on the project after just a handful of tracks had been completed, before dropping her from the label. However, four recordings salvaged from the Dudgeon sessions and included here suggest a reversal of fortunes might have been just around the corner.
    British songwriting duo Guy Fletcher and Doug Flett [[authors of several early ’70s Cliff Richard hits) guided Wilson closer to the smoky jazz of her best Supremes work on “Love Talk” and attempted a crossover foothold in the country market with “Save Me”, but while playing to what they perceived as the singer’s strengths they seemed to alienate a Motown hierarchy nervous about abandoning disco entirely. The Dudgeon-produced “You Dance My Heart Around The Stars” did get a belated release in 2020 on California Feeling: Volume One, an album celebrating the career of its writer, American poet and sometime Beach Boys collaborator Stephen Kalinich.
    Wilson wouldn’t release another album until 1992’s Walk The Line, filling the intervening years with activism and charity work, as well as authoring two volumes of autobiography. The first, 1986’s Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme, hit headlines by cataloguing the misery of working in the shadow of the increasingly diva-like Ross, and there was further friction when Wilson bailed on a proposed 2000 Supremes reunion tour after learning she and Cindy Birdsong would be paid a fraction of what Ross would earn from the dates.
    Dignity intact, Wilson made intermittent returns to music up until her death from cardiovascular disease in February 2021, aged 76, yet her lasting legacy is as one-third of one of the world’s biggest-selling vocal groups. Songs sung by another may form the bulk of most compilations, but there’s plenty of vibrant, vital evidence here to dispel
    any notions of her being just along for the ride. — Uncut