[REMOVE ADS]

American Songwriter Review of Mary Wilson Anthology

https://americansongwriter.com/revie...eme-anthology/

A pretty encompassing review.

Apologies if this was already posted.

Well count me as a fan [[see the last line) cuz I want everything here. So glad she is finally getting this. So sad she isn't here to see it. Could you imagine how tickled she'd be?

Very fair review. Sums it up well. Mary was a very good singer with a warm voice, but not especially distinct. And her material was not exactly top drawer.

Mary knew how to sell a song and that often compensated for her rather average singing voice.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-03-2021 at 11:46 PM.

I personally always loved the warmth and beauty of Mary Wilson's voice. Her voice really grounded the Supremes. I found her voice slightly less distinctive than Ross, Terrell, Payne or Greene but it was distinctive in the fact when you knew her voice and heard her, you always knew it was her. I think her voice really added a depth and warmth to the group that without her made the songs less appealing. I felt her voice was too strong for lightweight disco material. She excelled on ballads and rock. I am looking forward to this collection. She more than deserves this, she is overdue. I may be "just a fan" but I think anyone listening to it will enjoy it as anyone who ever saw her perform did.

Yeah, Mary's voice didn't jump out of the speakers at anyone. Of the three original Supremes, she's the one I feel had more soundalike voices as peers. Mary sort of sounded like the lead singer of the Shirelles, as well as Mary Wells, and maybe especially Dusty Springfield. Whereas nobody really sounded like Diana or Florence. Their lead singing vocals would be easily identifiable, where Mary's might take a minute.

Still, she was vocally talented, does not get the credit she deserves for her range [[which isn't/wasn't as limited as she's often depicted), and like any singer, she needed songs that would best showcase her talent. There isn't a singer alive with hits [[plural) under her/his belt that didn't need the benefit of recording songs that played to the artist's strengths.

Mary's voice might have been one in a dozen, but she certainly was a one of a kind lady.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, Mary's voice didn't jump out of the speakers at anyone. Of the three original Supremes, she's the one I feel had more soundalike voices as peers. Mary sort of sounded like the lead singer of the Shirelles, as well as Mary Wells, and maybe especially Dusty Springfield. Whereas nobody really sounded like Diana or Florence. Their lead singing vocals would be easily identifiable, where Mary's might take a minute.

Still, she was vocally talented, does not get the credit she deserves for her range [[which isn't/wasn't as limited as she's often depicted), and like any singer, she needed songs that would best showcase her talent. There isn't a singer alive with hits [[plural) under her/his belt that didn't need the benefit of recording songs that played to the artist's strengths.

Mary's voice might have been one in a dozen, but she certainly was a one of a kind lady.
    I agree, Ran. Mary's voice was hard to distinguish from 90% of "girl" singers. I always thought Shirley of the Shirelles' also had a fairly nondescript voice, but she nevertheless led on so many classic songs and hits. Shirley was already Queen Bee among girl group lead singers, so Mary's voice would not/could not have distinguished the Supremes.

I think Mary Wells' voice became identifiable because of Smokey's songs and production.

For me, Dusty Springfield was distinctive and identifiable almost from the beginning. She's been acknowledged and admired by many of her British peers. Here, even Aretha has given Dusty props.

You are absolutely right!

I'm interested, how is someone able to give a review if there's no product? Do you think there were advance copies pressed? Or is this a review based on the press release?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm interested, how is someone able to give a review if there's no product? Do you think there were advance copies pressed? Or is this a review based on the press release?
    More than likely, advanced copies were sent out to publicize the release.