[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: TCB Is 53!

TCB Is 53!

53 years ago yesterday, the TCB soundtrack was released. December 9th will mark the day TCB aired. According to wiki, the special was the first of it's kind to air in the "rock era". It won it's timeslot and was the top rated variety program of the year. And of course the album would go on to reach #1. What an accomplishment for two Black groups at the time. And what an accomplishment for Berry Gordy as well.

I have a few criticisms of the show, as usual, but for the most part it was a very well put together program. Highlights for me are the "Stop" and "Hangin On" portion, as well as the "With A Song In My Heart/Without a Song" medley, and the Supremes hits medley. The Tempts were great with "Hello Young Lovers", "For Once In My Life", and one of my personal favorites "I Know I'm Losing You". Talk about showmen! And then there's Diana's "Afro Vogue" segment, which had to be groundbreaking for network television. I'm always amazed at how this part of Diana's career is never spotlighted in retrospectives about her career. I expressed my thoughts on Afro Vogue in a previous thread and just don't think I can really add to it:

"I'm amazed that this isn't presented when talking about African Americans on television. While Black was becoming something to proclaim with pride, the stigma attached to anything African was still very much alive. For Diana Ross, someone so closely associated with the "erasure" of race from music, to go on prime time television and so boldly present a beautiful Black woman in all her Nubian glory to homes all across the nation, that had to be a powerful statement and a milestone in television history...

"
    what she did was very bold and daring for the time period. To a majority of Americans, Africans were spear chucking cannibals who needed to be tamed; an evolutionary step away from "prehistoric" man. There was nothing to be proud of about Africa. There's a reason why there isn't a photo to be found of the 1960s Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes, Bluebelles, Ronettes, Shirelles, etc, emulating the look of Yoruba or Igbo women. For Diana Ross, or any other Black woman, to so proudly display Africa- in any way- in the late 60s on national television was out of the ordinary. It was a milestone in television that shouldn't be forgotten."

But perhaps my favorite point in the show is "The Impossible Dream". It sums up the two groups together at that point in time, with all their successes, perfectly. I always wonder to myself if, as they stand together singing, and Diana looks at Paul, if she thinks to herself "Thank you, Paul" for suggesting she audition for the Primettes. I wonder if Paul and Eddie and Mary and Diana were thinking about the early days when they were amateurs dreaming of having a hit record and now here they were with a string of hit singles and albums and now their own television special! It's almost enough to make me emotional...ya know, if I got emotional about that kind of junk.

Is this special and soundtrack a favorite of yours? What stood out to you? Was there anything you can think of that would've made the show even better? What didn't you like?

RanRan79 that's a wonderful retrospective about that ground-breaking show. My whole family sat down to watch it. My only complaint is that there was not enough of Mary and Cindy. But I watched the show with great joy to see two of my favorite groups with their own special.

I don't think I can expand on what you wrote or not as well. But TCB has always been a favorite of mine, even before I had a copy. The album seemed to turn up at various friends and relatives' homes. Finally, I asked my next door neighbor if I could borrow her copy and she said I could actually have it! Dream come true!

That album had to satisfy me for years because it wasn't until 1990 that I actually saw the special during a Motorcity Records convention in Detroit. They showed some other Motown specials as well and I remember watching them all multiple times because I figured I would never see them again. Note: this was before I found out about the bootleg video market.

My favorite parts are the opening segment with the groups in green, in particular YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON and THE WAY YOU DO THE THINGS YOU DO. Diana's Afro-Vogue is a given, as are the Tempts' I'M LOSING YOU and the Supremes' hits medley.

The only thing that could have made the special even better was if they had performed their latest hits: LOVE CHILD, CLOUD NINE, and I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME. But I know the special was taped months before any of those songs were recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    53 years ago yesterday, the TCB soundtrack was released. December 9th will mark the day TCB aired. According to wiki, the special was the first of it's kind to air in the "rock era". It won it's timeslot and was the top rated variety program of the year. And of course the album would go on to reach #1. What an accomplishment for two Black groups at the time. And what an accomplishment for Berry Gordy as well.
    Did it actually do better than Elvis' 1968 special which aired the same month? If so, that is a great achievement.

My favorite song in it was I'm Losing You - the best version of the song, I thought.

But Diana in the Impossible Dream was a landmark at the time.

I can't really imagine it beat Elvis in the ratings.

I have a few criticisms of the show, as usual
    The forum is shocked at this unexpected turn!

I'm usually not too critical but in this instance Diana's "hiccup" accent seemed to be at its peak and there is nothing more about the Supremes from start to finish that will make me skip a song than when she does that hiccup between breaths. I think YKMHO on TCB is the single most egregious example of this anywhere. I skip it every time.

Edit: It's almost as bad on YKMHO on Talk of the Town. I knew there was another instance of an immediate skip.
    Last edited by thanxal; 12-03-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Here is the TCB report from Wikipedia:

TCB is a 1968 television special produced by Motown Productions and George Schlatter–Ed Friendly Productions of Laugh-In fame. The special is a musical revue starring Motown's two most popular groups at the time, Diana Ross & the Supremes and The Temptations. Containing a combination of showtunes, specially prepared numbers, and popular Motown hits, the special was taped before a live studio audience in September 1968 and originally broadcast December 9, 1968 on NBC, sponsored by the Timex watch corporation. The title of the program uses a then-popular acronym, "TCB", which stands for "Taking Care of Business".

Among the program's highlights were Diana Ross' "Afro Vogue" solo spot, Paul Williams' emotionally charged rendition of "For Once in My Life," a cover by both groups of the Aretha Franklin version of Otis Redding's "Respect," and then-new Temptations lead singer Dennis Edwards' lead performance on "[[I Know) I'm Losing You," a song considered a signature for his predecessor, David Ruffin.

Pre-empting Laugh-In on Monday night, TCB was the first musical TV special of the rock era to air on American broadcast television.[3] It exceeded all performance expectations, winning its timeslot in the ratings and becoming the top-rated variety show of 1968.[3] A soundtrack album, TCB – The Original Cast Soundtrack was released a week before the special aired on December 9 and reached No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Top 200 albums chart. It also became the third #1 album for Diana Ross and The Supremes. The first #1 was "The Supremes A Go Go" in 1966 by The Supremes And the second was Diana Ross and the Supremes Greatest Hits in 1967.

As of June 2016, the show has not been officially released on home video.[4] Various clips are available for viewing online by streaming media, including YouTube.[5]

The vinyl LP soundtrack album has been remastered and reissued on CD.[4]

Sadly, the footnote for it being the top rated variety show of 1968 is Mark Ribowsky - and we know how reliable that is/he is.

We do know those songs were not recorded by the time they were taping the special.
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think I can expand on what you wrote or not as well. But TCB has always been a favorite of mine, even before I had a copy. The album seemed to turn up at various friends and relatives' homes. Finally, I asked my next door neighbor if I could borrow her copy and she said I could actually have it! Dream come true!

That album had to satisfy me for years because it wasn't until 1990 that I actually saw the special during a Motorcity Records convention in Detroit. They showed some other Motown specials as well and I remember watching them all multiple times because I figured I would never see them again. Note: this was before I found out about the bootleg video market.

My favorite parts are the opening segment with the groups in green, in particular YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON and THE WAY YOU DO THE THINGS YOU DO. Diana's Afro-Vogue is a given, as are the Tempts' I'M LOSING YOU and the Supremes' hits medley.

The only thing that could have made the special even better was if they had performed their latest hits: LOVE CHILD, CLOUD NINE, and I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME. But I know the special was taped months before any of those songs were recorded.

overall the special is a total smash. this seems to be the peak DRATS tv appearance. the opening is just sensational - those green swirl gowns!!!!! the amazing stage, and then the segue into Stop! the girls are just perfect here. and Diana isn't hiccuping too much during Stop.

yes i agree that M and C are 1) not featured enough and 2) their mics are too low. but it is what it is

I think the staging for Somewhere is just stellar. It's my opinion that the majority of the song was taped w/o the audience or orchestra. i think they just totally blacked out the studio except the specific lighting on her. all of the orchestra is gone and so it truly is just that pedestal stage and Diana. then when she finishes, they cut to the live version with Diana on the stage with the orchestra and audience

it's also been fun hearing fans ideas and opinions of what GIT should have/could have been.

wonder if they could have done something along the lines of Diana's RHR&B's special. where they trace the influence of popular black music and influential musicians. that probably would have been too "black" for Berry to really consider, especially for DRATS. but could be an interesting idea.

I wonder why it has never been released on Blu Ray, etc. I can only think that it had something to do with George Schlatter productions and Motown. I also wonder if the artists themselves would be compensated. While Mary Wilson was alive she always fought for the artists to be compensated, I imagine maybe they were worried if they tried to pull a fast one that Mary would have called them out on it or that what was offered to Mary if they ever decided to try to do it wasn't adequate and she declined. I also can't remember if Diana! or an Evening with Diana Ross were ever released on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I wonder why it has never been released on Blu Ray, etc. I can only think that it had something to do with George Schlatter productions and Motown. I also wonder if the artists themselves would be compensated. While Mary Wilson was alive she always fought for the artists to be compensated, I imagine maybe they were worried if they tried to pull a fast one that Mary would have called them out on it or that what was offered to Mary if they ever decided to try to do it wasn't adequate and she declined. I also can't remember if Diana! or an Evening with Diana Ross were ever released on DVD.
    No Motown tv specials aside from MOTOWN 25 and some MOTOWN ON SHOWTIME episodes ever made it to home video, at least not in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    RanRan79 that's a wonderful retrospective about that ground-breaking show. My whole family sat down to watch it. My only complaint is that there was not enough of Mary and Cindy. But I watched the show with great joy to see two of my favorite groups with their own special.
    I agree about there not being enough Mary and Cindy.

I love reading about what you fans did in the pre-internet world to get your Supremes fixes! What was the set up like Reese? Was it a movie screen with these specials presented on a loop or was it scheduled times? Or were there separate televisions for private viewing?

I agree about the inclusion of the groups' latest hits, but, as you point out about the taping date, that's more a criticism for GIT than TCB. Just wait until the GIT anniversary rolls around. My post will not be anywhere near this nice!

Did it actually do better than Elvis' 1968 special which aired the same month? If so, that is a great achievement.
    According to Elvis special's wikipedia entry, his special was the top rated program the week it aired [[Dec 3) and the top rated special of the year. I tried to find more information about the ratings, such as a list of the top rated programs of the year, but unfortunately that only turns up the list of sitcoms and dramas that were popular that year. [[I tried "top rated television specials" also, but nothing.)

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    The forum is shocked at this unexpected turn!

I'm usually not too critical but in this instance Diana's "hiccup" accent seemed to be at its peak and there is nothing more about the Supremes from start to finish that will make me skip a song than when she does that hiccup between breaths. I think YKMHO on TCB is the single most egregious example of this anywhere. I skip it every time.

Edit: It's almost as bad on YKMHO on Talk of the Town. I knew there was another instance of an immediate skip.
    There are times when it doesn't bother me and then times when it makes my throat hurt. Lol I still can't imagine that the first time she did it Gordy didn't go backstage and tell her to knock it off.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's also been fun hearing fans ideas and opinions of what GIT should have/could have been.

wonder if they could have done something along the lines of Diana's RHR&B's special. where they trace the influence of popular black music and influential musicians. that probably would have been too "black" for Berry to really consider, especially for DRATS. but could be an interesting idea.
    GIT was poorly planned and executed, for the most part. Part of Gordy's master plan to spotlight that Diana could do "anything". Unfortunately, in the process, it becomes a stain alongside the many accomplishments attached to the names Supremes, Temptations, Motown and Diana Ross.

But you'll have to wait nearly a whole year before you get my GIT rant in full. [[Missed the anniversary back on November 9th, for the lp, and the 12th, for the special.)

I love reading about what you fans did in the pre-internet world to get your Supremes fixes! What was the set up like Reese? Was it a movie screen with these specials presented on a loop or was it scheduled times? Or were there separate televisions for private viewing?
    The convention was held in a huge hall with tables where the various stars would be seated for autograph sessions. I also remember a huge card that someone asked us all to sign for Mary Wells, who was quite ill at that time.

Re the screenings, they were held in a small area in the hall. There were maybe three big screen tvs and maybe four or so rows of chairs for us to sit in as we watched. As I remember, at first they were playing videos simultaneously with no audio. After a few of us complained that it made no sense to do it that way, whoever was in charge started playing the specials one after another, and in no special order. In fact, I remember there were times when I would leave the viewing area because someone like Martha Reeves or the Miracles had arrived to do their autograph session. Then I would go back and watch the rest of whatever special they were showing.

As I write this, memories keep coming back. I can remember watching Paul's solo on THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM and looking over to see Cal Gill of the Velvelettes had left the artists' area and come over to watch. I also remember Mary Wilson glancing over while he was singing and saying "Oh Paul" before signing another autograph.

I also remember on the last day they couldn't show one of the specials because someone had managed to steal it.

The specials they showed during the convention were:
    Motortown Revue at the Apollo [[1963)
    The Supremes In The Orient
    TCB
    GIT
    Diana!
    Goin' Back to Indiana - J5

i loved the intro of Stop! Haingin ON Get Ready,. for the most part i thought it was a great showcase but i would have preferred more C and M and the vocals up a not .
    BG should not have been involved and allowed the producers to produce .but it seems he was in everything. i suppose the afro dance things was ok but i would have prefered Funny Girl instead. i would have liked a new number or two as the Talk Of the Town album was released and most of the songs were the same.
    Temps were great

I have a few criticisms of the show, as usual, but for the most part it was a very well put together program. Highlights for me are the "Stop" and "Hangin On" portion, as well as the "With A Song In My Heart/Without a Song" medley, and the Supremes hits medley. The Tempts were great with "Hello Young Lovers", "For Once In My Life", and one of my personal favorites "I Know I'm Losing You". Talk about showmen! And then there's Diana's "Afro Vogue" segment, which had to be groundbreaking for network television. I'm always amazed at how this part of Diana's career is never spotlighted in retrospectives about her career. I expressed my thoughts on Afro Vogue in a previous thread and just don't think I can really add to it:

"I'm amazed that this isn't presented when talking about African Americans on television. While Black was becoming something to proclaim with pride, the stigma attached to anything African was still very much alive. For Diana Ross, someone so closely associated with the "erasure" of race from music, to go on prime time television and so boldly present a beautiful Black woman in all her Nubian glory to homes all across the nation, that had to be a powerful statement and a milestone in television history...

"
    what she did was very bold and daring for the time period. To a majority of Americans, Africans were spear chucking cannibals who needed to be tamed; an evolutionary step away from "prehistoric" man. There was nothing to be proud of about Africa. There's a reason why there isn't a photo to be found of the 1960s Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes, Bluebelles, Ronettes, Shirelles, etc, emulating the look of Yoruba or Igbo women. For Diana Ross, or any other Black woman, to so proudly display Africa- in any way- in the late 60s on national television was out of the ordinary. It was a milestone in television that shouldn't be forgotten."

But perhaps my favorite point in the show is "The Impossible Dream". It sums up the two groups together at that point in time, with all their successes, perfectly. I always wonder to myself if, as they stand together singing, and Diana looks at Paul, if she thinks to herself "Thank you, Paul" for suggesting she audition for the Primettes. I wonder if Paul and Eddie and Mary and Diana were thinking about the early days when they were amateurs dreaming of having a hit record and now here they were with a string of hit singles and albums and now their own television special! It's almost enough to make me emotional...ya know, if I got emotional about that kind of junk.

Is this special and soundtrack a favorite of yours? What stood out to you? Was there anything you can think of that would've made the show even better? What didn't you like?
    I echo every word. I was glued to the tv, as was almost everyone, it seems. It was stunning: the songs, the clothes, the staging……the TALENT. I loved every second of it. This was Mammoth entertainment in 1968 there’s no other way to describe it. There’s a reason why the album went to number one while the other album with the Temptations, containing their platinum single, was also in the top five. This album was exactly what the public wanted from these two groups it’s sold and sold and sold and it was in so many homes. I have friends whose only two Motown albums were supreme‘s greatest hits and TCB. I used to walk to school with three friends, and if I got to their house by 8 o’clock, we would listen to the last half of side to every morning before we left for school. My friend Sherry Lynn was a junior in high school and sometimes cried AT I hear a symphony and the impossible dream. I loved everything that ross did. I don’t mind the hiccups and, although there is some call for it here at the forum, I never heard once from anybody that they wish there had been more of Mary and Cindy… There simply was no interest in them at that time as far as I could tell. But they were wonderful on the show as well of course. But we also got exposed to the new temptation Dennis Edwards who was doing the impossible and making us forget about David Ruffin. In 1 million years I would never thought David was expendable. It just was the greatest show in the world Eddy got to sing, Paul got to sing, they were my favorites, another highlight for me is seeing Eddie and Diana loving their duet. The finale with wonderful Paul. Afro Vogue at the time was shocking, unexpected and kind of odd, but it’s significance to white grade schoolers wouldn’t arrive until later.

highest marks for TCB - an album that was never in cut out bins!

Still not on dvd

I'm gonna be honest, I was never a fan of the pairing of the Supremes and the Temptations. There's just too much going on and my ADHD has a hard time with watching 8 of them together lol. I think I would have preferred a pairing with Marvin Gaye or the Four Tops maybe. That being said my favorite moments are You Keep Me Hanging On and The Way You Do The Things You Do. I never cared for GIT either but I do appreciate it better now and feel that the big ensemble of the two groups worked for a Broadway sketch show a lot better.

I have always wondered how would these specials have been had Flo still been in the group. I feel she lost on that she could have really worked her comedy bits into both TCB and GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I have always wondered how would these specials have been had Flo still been in the group. I feel she lost on that she could have really worked her comedy bits into both TCB and GIT.
    Its debatable whether or not Flo would have really enjoyed those song and dance numbers. The group were striving to broaden it’s appeal, which meant moving more mainstream.
    In Mary’s book she comments on Flo’s dislike of the more pop/standard orientated material they performed in their shows.
    Also it has to be said, Cindy was a much better dancer.

Special mention to the amasing plexi-glass circular stage..it must have cost a small fortune !

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Special mention to the amasing plexi-glass circular stage..it must have cost a small fortune !
    Yeah, that was pretty impressive for 1968. I wonder if anything like it had been seen before. It gives quite an airy, uplifting effect to the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I echo every word. I was glued to the tv, as was almost everyone, it seems. It was stunning: the songs, the clothes, the staging……the TALENT. I loved every second of it. This was Mammoth entertainment in 1968 there’s no other way to describe it. There’s a reason why the album went to number one while the other album with the Temptations, containing their platinum single, was also in the top five. This album was exactly what the public wanted from these two groups it’s sold and sold and sold and it was in so many homes. I have friends whose only two Motown albums were supreme‘s greatest hits and TCB. I used to walk to school with three friends, and if I got to their house by 8 o’clock, we would listen to the last half of side to every morning before we left for school. My friend Sherry Lynn was a junior in high school and sometimes cried AT I hear a symphony and the impossible dream. I loved everything that ross did. I don’t mind the hiccups and, although there is some call for it here at the forum, I never heard once from anybody that they wish there had been more of Mary and Cindy… There simply was no interest in them at that time as far as I could tell. But they were wonderful on the show as well of course. But we also got exposed to the new temptation Dennis Edwards who was doing the impossible and making us forget about David Ruffin. In 1 million years I would never thought David was expendable. It just was the greatest show in the world Eddy got to sing, Paul got to sing, they were my favorites, another highlight for me is seeing Eddie and Diana loving their duet. The finale with wonderful Paul. Afro Vogue at the time was shocking, unexpected and kind of odd, but it’s significance to white grade schoolers wouldn’t arrive until later.

highest marks for TCB - an album that was never in cut out bins!
    TCB album bulleted up the charts. it was released on 12/2 and entered the charts on 12/28 at 134. within 4 weeks it was #2. just huge for the time. it then spent 11 weeks in the top 10, one week of which was at #1. it remained on the charts for 34 weeks which is rather strong too. not the longest by any means but good

Join was released on 1/30 and entered the charts on 1/11. so a little slower to get moving. it entered at 200. but then rose rapidly too. by week 6 it was at #5 and stayed in the top 10 for 8 weeks. it remained on the charts for 32 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, I was never a fan of the pairing of the Supremes and the Temptations. There's just too much going on and my ADHD has a hard time with watching 8 of them together lol. I think I would have preferred a pairing with Marvin Gaye or the Four Tops maybe. That being said my favorite moments are You Keep Me Hanging On and The Way You Do The Things You Do. I never cared for GIT either but I do appreciate it better now and feel that the big ensemble of the two groups worked for a Broadway sketch show a lot better.

i think Flo would have fared fine on TCB. frankly the choreography wasn't too complex on the special [[unlike the tap dancing piece on Sullivan or Coronet Man on Bob Hop). I think if Flo had stayed in the group, she and M would have been a little less anonymous in the background. yes D would have continued to move more and more to the forefront. but during this time, Cindy was mostly just a smiling face. Mary trying stepping it up but i think Flo's delivery of the little comedy lines in the act were more effective. she just had a little stronger comic timing and delivery. and you know she would have had some funny quips here and there in the opening

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    TCB album bulleted up the charts. it was released on 12/2 and entered the charts on 12/28 at 134. within 4 weeks it was #2. just huge for the time. it then spent 11 weeks in the top 10, one week of which was at #1. it remained on the charts for 34 weeks which is rather strong too. not the longest by any means but good

Join was released on 1/30 and entered the charts on 1/11. so a little slower to get moving. it entered at 200. but then rose rapidly too. by week 6 it was at #5 and stayed in the top 10 for 8 weeks. it remained on the charts for 32 weeks
    sup_fan, your dates for Join are incorrect. I was pretty sure I bought Join before TCB [[I bought both on the day each was released.) Just to be sure I checked my references.

I have the Billboard Pop Album Charts 1965-1969 book. Join entered the chart at #200 on November 30, 1968. In it's 2nd week it was #57. In it's 7th week, January 11, 1969, it reached its peak of #2. In the 8th week it dropped to #3 while TCB replaced it at #2!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    sup_fan, your dates for Join are incorrect. I was pretty sure I bought Join before TCB [[I bought both on the day each was released.) Just to be sure I checked my references.

I have the Billboard Pop Album Charts 1965-1969 book. Join entered the chart at #200 on November 30, 1968. In it's 2nd week it was #57. In it's 7th week, January 11, 1969, it reached its peak of #2. In the 8th week it dropped to #3 while TCB replaced it at #2!
    was typing too fast lol. you are correct. Join was released on 1/8 and entered the charts on 11/30. peaked the week of 1/11