[REMOVE ADS]

Top 10 Diana Ross Songs

https://americansongwriter.com/top-10-diana-ross-songs/

Other than Baby Love, I'm ok with most of this.

Take Me Higher and I Will Survive? Love to know the criteria they used to compile this list. Unless it's just a personal top ten by the writer of the article.

I will survive?????
    Noooooo

I had to laugh when I saw IWS

A pretty ridiculous list. They should have kept the Supremes songs for another list, at least.

And yes, IWS has no place on any 'top' list except for Gloria Gaynor's and perhaps Cake's.

A bit silly mixing Supremes and solo songs.
    I actually really like like Diana’s recording of “IWS”, but who could have predicted it would close out her show for the next 26 years.
    I rather suspect it’s her favourite song, and one she enjoys performing even more then “Mountain”.
    It’s not really for the fans anymore, but remains a crowd pleaser with the casual concert goer.

There's a couple of songs - Why Do Fools Fall In Love and I Will Survive - that are concert staples and get enormous reactions but the hard core fans don't put those high up the list of songs they love to see her perform.

Interesting list. I agree, the Supremes cuts should have been eliminated if this was a Diana Top 10. Was UPSIDE DOWN even on the list?

Horrible list because of the inclusion of Supremes songs. And even if the mashup is allowable, placing Diana's version of "I Will Survive" on a list alongside her legendary and classic cuts with the Supremes is a travesty. Between Diana's singles and album cuts [[at Motown) there was no need for Supremes songs on this list. Some great tunes were left off from Diana's legendary solo career.

But of course this list, like all music lists of this type, is subjective and continues to prove how different we fans can be when it comes to Diana's music.

It's a little ironic but songs like Why Do Fools Fall In Love and I Will Survive don't rank high with the hard core fans, especially hard core Motown fans - however the public loves that crap - it's singable, hummable, happy, and thus popular.

"Remember Me" by Diana Ross. Composed by Ashford and Simpson. This song should have made it to the list. I still believe that Motown did not adequately promote this song. This song is a classic!

Interesting.

One point to be made is that whenever a song wasn't a hit, whenever an artist wasn't successful, the blame is always laid at the lack of promotion - for Kim Weston, Chris Clark, Diana at RCA, Aretha at the end of her Atlantic years, Mary Wilson, the 70's Supremes, Brenda Holloway, Florence Ballard, Gladys Knight at Motown, Martha Reeves when she went solo and there are a dozen others - but the public just wasn't buying any of those artists at that time; some had seen their heyday and you aren't hot forever, some lost their voice, some never had a commercial voice, some didn't want to work as hard as was needed to be a hitmaker.

I've always felt it seldom was as simple as "Motown didn't promote it properly" or "they weren't a priority at RCA or Columbia etc."

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Interesting.

One point to be made is that whenever a song wasn't a hit, whenever an artist wasn't successful, the blame is always laid at the lack of promotion - for Kim Weston, Chris Clark, Diana at RCA, Aretha at the end of her Atlantic years, Mary Wilson, the 70's Supremes, Brenda Holloway, Florence Ballard, Gladys Knight at Motown, Martha Reeves when she went solo and there are a dozen others - but the public just wasn't buying any of those artists at that time; some had seen their heyday and you aren't hot forever, some lost their voice, some never had a commercial voice, some didn't want to work as hard as was needed to be a hitmaker.

I've always felt it seldom was as simple as "Motown didn't promote it properly" or "they weren't a priority at RCA or Columbia etc."
    Yes. Just, yes. Claiming lack of promotion is always the go-to for a commercial dud.

Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    "Remember Me" by Diana Ross. Composed by Ashford and Simpson. This song should have made it to the list. I still believe that Motown did not adequately promote this song. This song is a classic!
    Did Diana Ross ever perform Remember Me on television before her special aired?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Did Diana Ross ever perform Remember Me on television before her special aired?
    No, she didn't.

The first time one of my friends heard Remember Me, he thought it was a #1 for sure.

But then Berry had a scrap with Diana and decided not to promote it - lol

Remember Me is my personal favourite Diana track.

Don't forget it went top 10 Stateside in Cashbox and Record World which were at that stage compiled on pure sales.

So it was relative lack of airplay the reason for which I don't know which hindered the trach.

More airplay would have increased sales so who knows how high it might have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Remember Me is my personal favourite Diana track.

Don't forget it went top 10 Stateside in Cashbox and Record World which were at that stage compiled on pure sales.

So it was relative lack of airplay the reason for which I don't know which hindered the trach.

More airplay would have increased sales so who knows how high it might have gone.
    In terms of vocal performance, Remember Me deserves listing as does Reach Out I'll Be There, The Boss, It's My Turn, Love Child, I Thought It Took A Little Time to name a few.