[REMOVE ADS]

Radio Jingles Singer sounds a bit like...

In addition to Motown I like collecting vintage radio jingles. First time I heard these the vocalist's smokey, husky style brought a certain member of a world famous trio to mind- or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    In addition to Motown I like collecting vintage radio jingles. First time I heard these the vocalist's smokey, husky style brought a certain member of a world famous trio to mind- or is it just me?

Susaye Greene is the name that immediately springs to mind.
    But seriously, very M’s Wilson like.

Immediately Mary Wilson's voice came to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Susaye Greene is the name that immediately springs to mind.
    But seriously, very M’s Wilson like.
    Yes, it was Mary Wilson's voice I was thinking of whenever I hear these. The voice is so calming and soothing.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-28-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Immediately Mary Wilson's voice came to my mind.
    Yeppers! I remember jokingly asking someone when did Mary Wilson branch out into doing jingle work?

I believe in Supreme Faith, Mary discussed in passing doing a few commercial jingles in the early 80s. She took what she could take to pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I believe in Supreme Faith, Mary discussed in passing doing a few commercial jingles in the early 80s. She took what she could take to pay the bills.
    That's interesting. Actually, there seemed to be a period where established artists were doing commercial jingles and it was seen as just that- another revenue source. The show "Entertainment Tonight" did a segment on it and included Phoebe Snow as one doing them. It was nice because it was being treated as a "Wow! How cool" thing.

Definitely not Mary, but they have a similar tone and style at times.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Definitely not Mary, but they have a similar tone and style at times.
    Right. I knew it wasn't Mary when I heard these but it did strike me that it was an unusual decision to use a vocalist with such a unique sound. The norm, especially at that time, was to use vocalists with a more, um. "neutral" jingle singing style. Sounding like Mary just made this vocalist all the more appealing.