[REMOVE ADS]

Female voice on the Spinners' "Games People Play"

We heard this song on Sirius XM today and wondered who the lady was who sang a line or two in this song. So my friend looked it up and discovered that her name was Yvette Benton or something like that. But he said he also read that she recently passed away.

What can anyone tell us about this lady and any other projects/groups that she might have been involved in?

hee haw!
    1:30 has always confused me !!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    What can anyone tell us about this lady and any other projects/groups that she might have been involved in?
    Yes; Evette Benson was a member of The Sweethearts of Sigma [along with Barbara Ingram & Carla Benson] and they did background vocals for a lot of the records coming out of Philadelphia during the '70s.

that was VERY enjoyable reese, thank you so much!!! Finally learned a bit more about these magic ladies.

RE: SOULTRAIN appearance WHY in the world did they go out of their way to show Henry Fambrough up close each time Evette sings?? Clearly intentionally planned ... just as an inside joke??

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    that was VERY enjoyable reese, thank you so much!!! Finally learned a bit more about these magic ladies.

RE: SOULTRAIN appearance WHY in the world did they go out of their way to show Henry Fambrough up close each time Evette sings?? Clearly intentionally planned ... just as an inside joke??
    When I was a kid, I actually thought it was Henry singing. But I believe when they did the song in concert, Henry actually did that part so they did that on tv as well. Otherwise, what would they do? Just stand there with this voice coming from no one?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When I was a kid, I actually thought it was Henry singing. But I believe when they did the song in concert, Henry actually did that part so they did that on tv as well. Otherwise, what would they do? Just stand there with this voice coming from no one?
    I was shocked when I first saw this video years ago, but figured, 'what the hey , what do I know?"
    The cameramen are aimed and ready to do a rather tight shot of Henry each time. They could've just continued to show the entire group or used a wider more vague shot.
    I'd like to think Don Cornelius was having a bit of fun ... and The Spinners too.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-22-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Not to mention that that's a Phillpe Wynne lead sung by another member! Still love this song.

I always had Yvette and Carla do backgrounds for any TSOP artists we featured on tv - especially The Spinners on my various tv shows. Even behind Eddie Holman and Len Barry - they had the perfect blend.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksoulfire View Post
    Not to mention that that's a Phillpe Wynne lead sung by another member! Still love this song.

So I wonder why Bobby Smith sings Phillippe Wynn's parts when Phillippe is right there??!! There HAD to be a joke in there somewhere.

That has to be the most fumbled up lip sync session I've ever seen on an episode of Soul
    Train, mixed, mashed, whatever...Henry lip syncing Evette's lyrics? And honestly, I don't
    remember Phillipe even having any lines on Games People Play, did he?...At least Philly
    didn't make that goof up with Harold, Teddy P and the BlueNotes. Sharon Paige got to go
    out and promote her flair on I Hope That We Can Be Together Soon...

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    So I wonder why Bobby Smith sings Phillippe Wynn's parts when Phillippe is right there??!! There HAD to be a joke in there somewhere.
    \
    My bad --it is Bobby Smith and Pervis Jackson recorded as the lead male vocals [[acording to Wikipedia). Pardon the misinformation!

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksoulfire View Post
    \
    My bad --it is Bobby Smith and Pervis Jackson recorded as the lead male vocals [[acording to Wikipedia). Pardon the misinformation!
    And I add my apology to yours. To my ears Bobby sounds like Philippe and I assumed it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    And I add my apology to yours. To my ears Bobby sounds like Philippe and I assumed it was him.
    I used to assume that many of Bobby's vocals were by Philippe.

It's necessary to listen very carefully to tell them apart in a verse.

Philippe had more power and a greater range than Bobby, but Bobby had a kind of comforting warmth.

In tracks such as 'Mighty Love' this led to Bobby starting the verse in a low-key way and Philippe picking it up part-way and then going places that Bobby couldn't.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 11-23-2021 at 08:55 AM.

Pretty sure the sweethearts of sigma toured with The Funk Brothers when they came to the UK & Europe in 2004. They were on most things coming out of Philly in the 70s
    RIP Yvette. Condolescenes to her family and close ones

When P Funk played Columbia, South Carolina, GC gave Phillipe Wynne his own spot
    in the middle of the show, letting him flat foot sing out Sadie and Love Don't Love Nobody,
    songs he had made popular as a Spinner, tearing up the house, doing what I never saw George do for anyone else. This despite the fact a number of members of the organisation
    had come from other acts where they'd enjoyed notoriety. James Brown. Both Friends of
    Distinction and Earth Wind and Fire. Ohio Player giving them their biggest hit. I loved
    Bobby's vocals, still do, but as they used to say, Phillipe had that thing in his voice. All his
    own....