[REMOVE ADS]

Percy Sledge memories

About two weeks ago, I heard on the Siriux Channel 49 a Percy Sledge song from 1966 ---- It Tears Me Up. I was totally unfamiliar with this song so I purchased a CD by Percy Sledge by the same name. Since I have gotten this CD, I must have played the entire CD at least five times beginning to end. One song that JUMPED out at me was LOVE ME TENDER. I don't know how many people remember Elvis Presley's version, but I must admit that Percy's version is far more soulful and far more thrilling. I have never heard Percy's version before. However, I am really glad I obtained this CD and am really enjoying it. Every one of the 23 songs on it are really great.

Does anyone else remember Percy's version? If not, it's well worth the investment to obtain it. Elvis's was released in 1956 but Percy's was not released until 1967. Too bad Percy didn't beat Elvis to the punch. He would have had a monumental song on his roster.

I got my CD through discogs from a seller ddsdiscsva for a very reasonable price. He has a lot of excellent CDs available through discogs.
    Last edited by woodward; 11-20-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    About two weeks ago, I heard on the Siriux Channel 49 a Percy Sledge song from 1966 ---- It Tears Me Up. I was totally unfamiliar with this song so I purchased a CD by Percy Sledge by the same name. Since I have gotten this CD, I must have played the entire CD at least five times beginning to end. One song that JUMPED out at me was LOVE ME TENDER. I don't know how many people remember Elvis Presley's version, but I must admit that Percy's version is far more soulful and far more thrilling. I have never heard Percy's version before. However, I am really glad I obtained this CD and am really enjoying it. Every one of the 23 songs on it are really great.

Does anyone else remember Percy's version? If not, it's well worth the investment to obtain it. Elvis's was released in 1956 but Percy's was not released until 1967. Too bad Percy didn't beat Elvis to the punch. He would have had a monumental song on his roster.
    I've got the CD you're talking about, It Tears Me Up-The Best of Percy Sledge, and it's an Excellent overview of his work from 1966 thru 1971. I didn't even know that Percy had done a remake of Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender" before getting this set back in 1992 [and I agree that Percy's version is more soulful than the Presley version].

I have the box set of all of Percy Sledge’s Atlantic recordings and I’ll have to listen to it because I don’t recall hearing him do “Love Me Tender.” I’m not surprised though that this song is very well-suited to Percy‘s voice. Albert King did an entire album of Elvis covers, including I believe the same song, and it is excellent from start to finish. In his early days, Elvis really had the pick of some fantastic material. The King album is well worth seeking out if you’re an Albert King fan or a fan of blues in general. In fact in many ways, King’s voice was similar to Sledge’s, kind of rough around the edges and a very deep quality to it. They’re both unconventional singers who can really put over a song and I hadn’t thought of it before, but I do believe their styles are similar vocally.

"It Tears Me Up" is my fave Percy Sledge record.It made it to #7 R & B and #20 POP. "Love Me Tender" was his 6th Atlantic 45 release and made #35 R & B and #40 POP.The flip side "What Am I Living For" also made the HOT 100 [[#91).July 1967.

excellent phrasing , nice control, and emphasizes all the correct words

It's a nice contrast to the Albert King version. Now that I hear them back to back, they don't really have the same vibe. I remembered Percy's voice as being somewhat rougher [[like on "When a Man Loves a Woman" and "It Tears Me Up" than it is on this record. I like both, but I love Percy's quiet innocence about the lyrics. Still, you can't beat Albert King's Lucille [[guitar) on his version.

It really is a beautiful song. We forget how beautiful because I think most of us only think of the Elvis version which is nice, but so iconic that it's kind of hard to judge it by itself. Well, I'm probably not explaining what I mean very well so I'll quit!

Last edited by kenneth; 11-21-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Check out "Between These Arms" only issued as the Bside Of "Sudden Stop" not aware it was ever issued on his Albums or on CD.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG_4PbPGkBI

Wow! If you were to play this song and asked me who it was I would never have guessed it was Percy Sledge. He does a wonderful job on this song.
    Other good tracks are "Warm and Tender Love" and "Take Time to Know Her".

Albert King reminds me of Isaac Hayes.

Take Time To Know Her...
    That is a song that makes me stop, shut up and sit down...