[REMOVE ADS]

Chaka khan/ stephanie mills verzuz battle november 18th

Though it's called a BATTLE we will actually celebrate the legacy of these two queens on November 18th. This is going to be good. I'll be traveling during this but will have to catch the replay. I'm excited!!!!
    https://www.blackenterprise.com/its-...coming-verzuz/

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Though it's called a BATTLE we will actually celebrate the legacy of these two queens on November 18th. This is going to be good. I'll be traveling during this but will have to catch the replay. I'm excited!!!!
    https://www.blackenterprise.com/its-...coming-verzuz/
    Wonderful. Love them both. And you, Glencro, have a happy and uneventful travel.

Here's my take on the proceedings: Both ladies looked like a zillion bucks. Chaka's catalog is unmatched, but she seemed...elsewhere mentally; she was in fine, strong voice, however, if over-reliant on her TelePrompTer. [I'm glad she changed her pumps to boots midway; she seemed perilously close to teetering.] Stephanie was truly the MVP of the evening, holding Chaka down vocally where she faltered and completely in her performance/vocal bag on her own tracks. The feeling of mutual sisterly support and admiration buoyed me throughout the whole broadcast...up until the very end, where Chaka seemed to mutter "f**k this s**t" into the mike as she walked offstage [!]. All in all, though, it was a wonderful night from two legends who, as they reminded us verbally, are "still here."

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Here's my take on the proceedings: Both ladies looked like a zillion bucks. Chaka's catalog is unmatched, but she seemed...elsewhere mentally; she was in fine, strong voice, however, if over-reliant on her TelePrompTer. [I'm glad she changed her pumps to boots midway; she seemed perilously close to teetering.] Stephanie was truly the MVP of the evening, holding Chaka down vocally where she faltered and completely in her performance/vocal bag on her own tracks. The feeling of mutual sisterly support and admiration buoyed me throughout the whole broadcast...up until the very end, where Chaka seemed to mutter "f**k this s**t" into the mike as she walked offstage [!]. All in all, though, it was a wonderful night from two legends who, as they reminded us verbally, are "still here."
    MUCK! I forgot all about it! Sounds great, with Stephanie rising to the occasion and Chaka singing well and being ... Chaka! Do we know if the program will be available for streaming?

Love them both like most of us do. When all is said and done these things are a celebration
    of our favorite artists throughout the years... That said, Stephanie didn't come out to mess
    around!...I think it's still up on youtube...

Hell, no, Stephanie did NOT come to play with these kids!

You beat me by seconds with the link, Mr. Sans! A great, program by 2 ur-talented ladies. I'm team Stephanie for this performance; Chaka sings like a mo-fo but the, IDK, professional demeanor? Chaka seems kinda out-of-it and like she'd rather be someone else though she does interact well with Stephanie. Mills handled the 'Ease On' f-up SO well. A close one, and both are wonderful. Def worth a watch.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 11-19-2021 at 09:39 PM.

I just finished watching it and enjoyed it very much. Stephanie was her normal great singing self. Chaka had some moments as well but to me, she looked as if she was having some pain in her legs.

Two QUEENS!! Stephanie Mills was definitely the MVP! I was in attendance but not close enough to perceive the interpersonal action on the stage. I am watching the replay now. Stephanie was vocally and physically supporting Chaka at times. She is the epitome of grace and professionalism.

The show started TWO hours late. By the time they came out, I had ingested enough 'adult beverages' to make Chaka seem sober. We rocked to the music blissfully all night. It was truly a good time. And Chaka...she can do whatever and be however she wants as far as I am concerned. She should dine with silver cups and golden plates as long as she walks this Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Two QUEENS!! Stephanie Mills was definitely the MVP! I was in attendance but not close enough to perceive the interpersonal action on the stage. I am watching the replay now. Stephanie was vocally and physically supporting Chaka at times. She is the epitome of grace and professionalism.

The show started TWO hours late. By the time they came out, I had ingested enough 'adult beverages' to make Chaka seem sober. We rocked to the music blissfully all night. It was truly a good time. And Chaka...she can do whatever and be however she wants as far as I am concerned. She should dine with silver cups and golden plates as long as she walks this Earth.
    Right on! And all right for the "Roll Me Through the Rushes" reference!

Right on! And all right for the "Roll Me Through the Rushes" reference!
    LOL!!! Yes, indeed!! Just like Moses!

A fun tie-in and here's the song for those in-the-not-know -

... and the version I first heard -

This was the original version that was recorded by the group Roise. The song was written by David Lasley and Lana Marrrano who were members of the group back in 1976. Rock icon Genya Ravan produced the album "Better Late Than Never" which was released by RCA Records, they also recorded a second album as well.

David Lasley went on to become one of the industries most sought-out session singers, as well as in demand songwriters. His songs have been recorded by the likes of Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Dionne, Warwick, Patti LaBelle, Bonnie Raitt, Anita Baker and Boz Scaggs just to name a few. He has also recorded seven solo projects, several soundtracks, jingles and numerous other projects through out his career.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post

This was the original version that was recorded by the group Roise. The song was written by David Lasley and Lana Marrrano who were members of the group back in 1976. Rock icon Genya Ravan produced the album "Better Late Than Never" which was released by RCA Records, they also recorded a second album as well.

David Lasley went on to become one of the industries most sought-out session singers, as well as in demand songwriters. His songs have been recorded by the likes of Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Dionne, Warwick, Patti LaBelle, Bonnie Raitt, Anita Baker and Boz Scaggs just to name a few. He has also recorded seven solo projects, several soundtracks, jingles and numerous other projects through out his career.
    Great find! I had never heard of the group or this version.

This is a nice find..it actually clarifies the lyrics for me; although Chaka's version still kicks be-hind, I always had to interpret what she was singing, especially on the 2nd verse ! Is David Lasley black? In any case, I really like his vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaksoulfire View Post
    This is a nice find..it actually clarifies the lyrics for me; although Chaka's version still kicks be-hind, I always had to interpret what she was singing, especially on the 2nd verse ! Is David Lasley black? In any case, I really like his vocals.
    He is not.

I have seen David Lasley several times as a backing singer for James Taylor. He is always present alongside Arnold McCuller on the live shows. They are simply perfect.

In the interests of honesty and full disclosure, I have to state for myself that Stephanie delivered and Chaka was unlistenable. I havecseen Chaka live on a number of occasions sometimes great, sometimes not so much. Never sure who will turn up. Just my personal opinion

David Lasley has put out a few albums of his songwriting demos, only in Japan, of course.

David Lasley's original recording of his song "You Bring Me Joy", the song made famous by Anita Baker. I hear Sylvester and Tony Washington of The Dynamic Superiors.

I believe this version is the one that counts as Lasley's original recording.
    Last edited by smallworld; 11-24-2021 at 01:16 AM.

Chaka's issue....

Back in early 2018, I was working with a now-deceased Motown artist. As this person was boarding her plane in LA, she was stopped by TMZ. This woman said to me "As I was boarding my plane, TMZ stopped me. They asked me all sort of questions, but they mainly wanted to talk about my friend, Chaka, you know Chaka Khan? She's got a chemical issue." I thought that remark was interesting at the time, but I didn't reflect on it much.

Now, after watching Chaka's erratic behavior in this show, I know exactly what this other woman was referring to. Not sure what her "chemical" of choice is, but it seemed to be having quite an effect during this show.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Back in early 2018, I was working with a now-deceased Motown artist. As this person was boarding her plane in LA, she was stopped by TMZ. This woman said to me "As I was boarding my plane, TMZ stopped me. They asked me all sort of questions, but they mainly wanted to talk about my friend, Chaka, you know Chaka Khan? She's got a chemical issue." I thought that remark was interesting at the time, but I didn't reflect on it much.

Now, after watching Chaka's erratic behavior in this show, I know exactly what this other woman was referring to. Not sure what her "chemical" of choice is, but it seemed to be having quite an effect during this show.
    Sadly, if indeed this was the case, it would be nothing new given Chaka's history. Her reps also stated that she was having back pain issues during the broadcast.

Sadly, if indeed this was the case, it would be nothing new given Chaka's history. Her reps also stated that she was having back pain issues during the broadcast.
    Well, the lady has mentioned that she had a sobriety setback during lockdown, but I did not sense any such situation with the performance. Chaka seemed just sorta ... Chaka-ish! But did great all around.