[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Unreleased 1970 & 1971

Anyone have any information [or inside scoop--George? Keith?] about the status of Motown Unreleased 1970 and Motown Unreleased 1971? We're heading into the final 7 weeks of 2021 and collections such as these from prior years [unlike MU69 which got an "early" September 2019 release] would usually come out digitally at the end of November/beginning of December. Of course, there was no digital release of MU70 last year "due to COVID," so we could only hope that this year might bring both MU70 and MU71.

What is out on the grapevine [[or the real tea) about these sets, kids?

I believe that there will be NO more Motown Unreleased sets...according to Motown Treasures site [[ Andy Skurow )
    Last edited by snakepit; 11-14-2021 at 05:57 AM.

Thanks for the information, Snake. I wish such "announcements" coming from Universal would explain WHY the series is being stopped. There has to be some music still in the can, so either there are planned sets [non-"Motown Unreleased"] using unreleased music from 1970, 1971, and 1972 [and beyond?!] or Universal has decided to just sit on the material. After the way the Supremes' Expanded Editions just stopped without explanation, I can't imagine the MU series stopped because new releases utilizing the material are forthcoming.

Hi Danman
    Yes, sadly, I can't see any more 'bulk' sets of unissued.
    Maybe a few tracks might leak out on any 'new' projects [[ if there are any).

Well thats a shame :[[

Any and all unreleased material would be welcomed I am sure but here are some other thoughts on things I would like to see........

1) The Diahann Carroll and Leslie Uggams Motown albums. Better yet if there were extras that could be added.

2) A box set featuring all of Tata Vega's albums, similar to the Thelma Houston collection from a few years ago.

3) A really complete Edwin Starr set. Yes we have received good stuff here and there but I would like to have it all in one package.

Its the same with all Motown "series" collections...they never ever finish a complete set..like someone said on another thread we are always left feeling cheated because we never manage to complete something we started.

So is the 1970 material still in the vaults is now out of Copyright?

I think I'll dig out TCMS 1970 for a play...just for a feel of what we might be missing

That's so disappointing. These sets were the highlight of my holiday season. And they just got better and better with each passing year. I was really looking forward to hearing more unreleased gems from the 70's onward. I imagine there are some great Supremes and Gladys Knight tracks yet to be released.

Bring back ben !!

I believe that it just does not sell enough to be viable :[[

I second that Roger

Yes mowsville we would never have had Diana Ross & The Supremes "Sing Disney Classics", Martha & the Vandellas "Live At The Copa" or the Supremes "Promises Kept" and probably Martha & the Vandellas "Live" if it hadn`t been for him.

Exactly Roger...his releases were exquisite..and they wonder why folks resort to buying these releases...obviously Universal couldnt give a flying fuck about Motown ..its The Supremes 60th and not a sausage [[apart from Mary's Anthology) and then theres Whats Going On released in another form for the 1000000000th time...are you telling me they make money from releasing that album everytime someone farts at Universal..I dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    A really complete Edwin Starr set. Yes we have received good stuff here and there but I would like to have it all in one package.
    I so agree with you on that, David...

Hey everyone, I just want to add my voice: I loved the annual "copyright release" tradition for Motown and some other groups and I am especially interested to hear any early 1970s material in the vaults as that is a favorite era for me. I am also a fan of the Beach Boys and they also abruptly stopped the copyright releases but came back strong with a physical release: Feel Flows, a 5-CD set covering outtakes from 1969-1971. This was in 2021, so it contained unissued material from 1969 and 1970, not sure how the copyright works in that situation. Anyway, let's keep hope alive until we hear otherwise.

Is there lists of the songs that were to appear on the 1970/71 downloads. If so could they be supplied so that we can know what we are missing. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Is there lists of the songs that were to appear on the 1970/71 downloads. If so could they be supplied so that we can know what we are missing. Please!
    For what it's worth, I've been involved in all the Motown Unreleased series except for the last [[I was on sick leave, but did contribute the original list to Universal), and I've heard nothing from anyone about MU 1970/1 apart from the postings on this thread. I thought it had just died. If someone supplies you with a list, do post it!

Thanks Keith, I was just hoping that lists had been tabled and then maybe cancelled due to a perceived lack of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Thanks Keith, I was just hoping that lists had been tabled and then maybe cancelled due to a perceived lack of interest.
    Given the recent Bob Dylan copyright extension set - 50th Anniversary Collection 1973 - I take it still no sign of Motown picking this back up?

Has there ever been an Edwin Starr compilation release that included previously vaulted Motown tracks ?

Not on an individual comp....quite a few on the unissued downloads up to 69.

Universal had brought us SO CLOSE to the end of Motown's unreleased Detroit years, stopping dead in their tracks is sad and frustrating, to say the least. Harry once told me that the guys are constantly working on upcoming Motown projects while waiting for approval. Chances MAY be good that the Unreleased digital downloads are already finished and waiting for release approval. I wonder.... if we agreed to pre-pay for the remaining Motown Unreleased series, might it make a difference in Universal's mind?